Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 3m
    #famousrichandhungry on BBC1 won the second half of its slot against #lawandorderuk on ITV, with avge of 3.5m/15.9% http://www.overnights.tv

Thats a bit of a wierd tweet - I mean why put it like that. Why not just quote the numbers for both shows at 9pm?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Law & Order UK 4m/18%, Famous, Rich & Hungry 3.5m/15.9%, Line of Duty 2.6m/11.9%, Living in Space 1.6m/7.2%, NCIS 1m/4.6% #tvratings

Not a great start for Law & Order. This Wednesday slot just doesn't seem to work for anything. Line of Duty will have dented it too. The 3 crime dramas will all be denting each other.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Law & Order UK 4m/18%, Famous, Rich & Hungry 3.5m/15.9%, Line of Duty 2.6m/11.9%, Living in Space 1.6m/7.2%, NCIS 1m/4.6% #tvratings

Not a great start for Law & Order. This Wednesday slot just doesn't seem to work for anything. Line of Duty will have dented it too. The 3 crime dramas will all be denting each other.

Yeah a crowded night, still expected L&O to be around 500k higher inc +1 though, hasn't got any room to drop now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What did Law and Order UK get the last time. I seem to remember it was down then as well.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Clearly lots of people watch it.

Clearly the vast majority don't, and why should you run an expensive channel just for a tiny minority.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great to see Line Of Duty go up. I think the majority of Line Of Duty viewers won't be interested in Law & Order UK or NCIS. I think the finale could be over 3m if plugged. Living In Space did okay but I think the Sunday show could be a damp squib judging by the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member

There was football too but still looks like a low rating night all round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Great to see Line Of Duty go up. I think the majority of Line Of Duty viewers won't be interested in Law & Order UK or NCIS. I think the finale could be over 3m if plugged. Living In Space did okay but I think the Sunday show could be a damp squib judging by the ratings.

I think Line of Duty would be doing even better were it not for the crime drama competition. Remember every episode of the last series was over 3m in the overnights and over 4m in the officials.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did Law and Order UK get the last time. I seem to remember it was down then as well.

It was on Sunday last year and returned to around 4.9m inc +1, this was down 500k on the series before. This was with a lead in of 3.3m from Mr and Mrs and opposite The White Queen with 3.59m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah a crowded night, still expected L&O to be around 500k higher inc +1 though, hasn't got any room to drop now.

Overnights.tv said BBC1 beat the second half of Law & Order UK, suggests that LOUK dropped during transmission. If that's the case it could drop next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was on Sunday last year and returned to around 4.9m inc +1, this was down 500k on the series before. This was with a lead in of 3.3m from Mr and Mrs and opposite The White Queen with 3.59m.

Thanks for that. Not good then although that was summer. Apparently the last series averaged 5.66m inc +1 down 7% from the previous series.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The space thing on channel 4 was most interesting show last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Line of Duty would be doing even better were it not for the crime drama competition. Remember every episode of the last series was over 3m in the overnights and over 4m in the officials.

It was facing CSI on Channel 5 during series 1 too and both did well. This series was also suffering opposite Outnumbered too.

I think it would have been flying on Monday or Tuesday, and had Benefits Street not been such a success Line Of Duty would have been on Monday. I also think it was so long between series, with no series 1 repeat, that the launch trailer should have included programme clips to show people what it was about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Clearly the vast majority don't, and why should you run an expensive channel just for a tiny minority.

To be fair the vast majority dont watch any of the individual digital channels so that argument could apply to most of them.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair the vast majority dont watch any of the individual digital channels so that argument could apply to most of them.

Possibly but the licence fee isn't paying for most of them.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    ITV were asking for trouble putting L&O UK there. Glad it hasn't worked. It was painfully obvious already that there was too much crime drama airing on Wednesdays already, so to add another one into the mix was a ludicrous idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    ITV were asking for trouble putting L&O UK there. Glad it hasn't worked. It was painfully obvious already that there was too much crime drama airing on Wednesdays already, so to add another one into the mix was a ludicrous idea.

I get the feeling ITV couldn't care less about Law & Order these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the feeling ITV couldn't care less about Law & Order these days.

They haven't cared about it for years. They've kept recommissioning it as the numbers have been decent, but they just fling it wherever, often without much support, so it rarely achieves its potential.

It had so much crime competition last night it was obviously going to underperform. hopefully it'll pick up a bit when Line of Duty ends. That Wednesday slot hasn't worked for anything really either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy have put up their ratings report.

Law & Order: UK returns with 3.6 million on ITV

Law & Order: UK returned for its eighth series with over 3 million viewers on Wednesday, according to overnight data.

The ITV crime drama thrilled 3.61m (16.3%) at 9pm, with an added 355,000 (2.3%) on +1. This is down nearly a million from last year's launch ratings of 4.59m, but that aired on a Sunday evening in July.

Clip show You Saw Them Here First topped the ratings outside of soaps with 3.77m (17.7%) at 8pm (195k/0.9% on +1).

On BBC One, Famous, Rich & Hungry for Sport Relief interested 3.51m (15.9%) at 9pm, while A Question of Sport quizzed 2.20m (16.9%) at 10.35pm.

BBC Two's new series Collectaholics interested 2.09m (9.8%) at 8pm, followed by Line of Duty with 2.63m (11.9%) at 9pm and Inside No 9 with 833k (4.7%) at 10pm.

On Channel 4, Secret Eaters returned with 1.30m (6.1%) at 8pm (215k/1.0%), while new series Live from Space intrigued 1.38m (6.2%) at 9pm (215k/1.4%). First Dates continued with 791k (5.2%) at 10pm (129k/1.7%).

Channel 5's Born To Kill fascinated 714k (3.4%) at 8pm. NCIS attracted 929k (4.2%) at 9pm (125k/0.8%) and Suspects continued with 426k (2.7%) at 10pm.

On BBC Three, new series Who Needs Ibiza? gathered 369k (1.7%) at 9pm, followed by the final Ja'mie: Private School Girl with 346k (2.0%) at 10pm.

E4's The Tomorrow People was seen by 457k (2.1%) at 9pm (117k/0.8%), while ITV2's TOWIE entertained 604k (3.7%) at 10pm (124k/1.5%).
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very odd report by Tom Eames, to sound so "positive" about Law and Order ratings when they were in fact down a million on last year.
    Or was he being ironic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They haven't cared about it for years. They've kept recommissioning it as the numbers have been decent, but they just fling it wherever, often without much support, so it rarely achieves its potential.

It had so much crime competition last night it was obviously going to underperform. hopefully it'll pick up a bit when Line of Duty ends. That Wednesday slot hasn't worked for anything really either.

Scott and Bailey is the only thing to have really worked in that slot, I can see why ITV put it there last night though as it performed ok in a similar situation last year, obviously minus the crime competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digital Spy have put up their ratings report.

Law & Order: UK returns with 3.6 million on ITV

Law & Order: UK returned for its eighth series with over 3 million viewers on Wednesday, according to overnight data.

The ITV crime drama thrilled 3.61m (16.3%) at 9pm, with an added 355,000 (2.3%) on +1. This is down nearly a million from last year's launch ratings of 4.59m, but that aired on a Sunday evening in July.

Clip show You Saw Them Here First topped the ratings outside of soaps with 3.77m (17.7%) at 8pm (195k/0.9% on +1).

Not great for L&O - not much of a lead in but 4m or so is as much as it could have expected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Its the only thing that is.

Axe BBC3 now rather than wait until late 2015 just in time for Charter renewal negotiations, its not needed, nobody watches it, complete waste of time.

E4 and ITV2 have been getter and getting young audiences more regular than BBC3 as ratings show. BBC3 isn't on most of the day and is becoming a repeats channel. But they do try and do something different to ITV2 and E4. Factual has been their strength with Junior Doctors and the superb Our War. In The Flesh returns soon which is a great drama so I hope it rakes off with series 2.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Law & Order doing original stories now as opposed to reworking the US episodes?
  • Options
    centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not great for L&O - not much of a lead in but 4m or so is as much as it could have expected.

Perhaps it was jinxed by the Radio Times feature saying it consistently gets 5 or 6 million and is an underappreciated ratings winner...
This discussion has been closed.