Options

65 Songs You Will Never Be Able To Listen To The Same Way Again

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think "65 Facts about Songs you may or may not know" would be more apt but hey ..

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/songs-youll-never-be-able-to-listen-to-the-same-way-again

I'd say a lot of people will know a lot of these already but some of them I did find quite interesting and surprising .. like this for example ..
19. “Gettin’ Jiggy wit It” was written by Nas.

:o

Comments

• Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that title would be more appropriate, as I already knew/had previously heard over half of them and some of them are very well-known facts.

#56 is worded in an especially clunky fashion, claiming There She Goes to be "by Sixpence None The Richer" and "originally by The La's too".
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yawn.
    who's nas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    yawn.
    who's nas?

"An American rapper, songwriter and actor, Nas has released eight consecutive platinum and multi-platinum albums and sold over 25 million records worldwide.
    Nas is often named as one of the top hip hop artists. MTV ranked him at number 5 on their list of The Greatest MCs of All Time. In 2012, The Source ranked him No. 2 on their list of the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time. In 2013, Nas was ranked fourth on MTV's "Hottest MCs in the Game" list. He has six number 1 albums on the Billboard 200, tying him with Eminem and Kanye West for 2nd all time among rappers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nas
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know 'Girls just wanna have fun' was a cover... or that Kylie's 'Can't get you out of my head' was originally written for S Club 7
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nowt new there.... most are songs written intended for someone else... been going on for many years.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these are traumatising, Can't Get You Out Of My Head for S Club 7 ie music group for kids being one of them
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds wasn't about LSD, eh. Okay.

;-)

(Knew the Julian painting story, but, you know, pull the other one, Mr Lennon.)
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Some of these are traumatising, Can't Get You Out Of My Head for S Club 7 ie music group for kids being one of them

Aye...Kylies a real serious artist after all ;-)
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think they are all true. Toxic was written for Rachel Stevens not Kylie and Sweet Dreams My LA Ex was written for Britney in response to cry me a river by Justin
  • Options
    MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    yawn.
    who's nas?

I really hope you are joking otherwise what are you doing on the music forums???
  • Options
    MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omg i cant believe How Will I Know was intended for Janet Jackson, good job she turned it down as its my favourite Whitney song.

Also cant believe Breakaway was written by Avril, cant imagine her singing it at all it just sounds like a Kelly Clarkson track.

Everyone knows Burn was about Chilli from TLC, the entire Confessions album was pretty much about their relationship and split.

I really dont know if i believe that Irreplaceable was offered to Shania Twain and Faith Hill, can't really see Ne-Yo intending to write a country song!
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "An American rapper, songwriter and actor, Nas has released eight consecutive platinum and multi-platinum albums and sold over 25 million records worldwide.
    Nas is often named as one of the top hip hop artists. MTV ranked him at number 5 on their list of The Greatest MCs of All Time. In 2012, The Source ranked him No. 2 on their list of the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time. In 2013, Nas was ranked fourth on MTV's "Hottest MCs in the Game" list. He has six number 1 albums on the Billboard 200, tying him with Eminem and Kanye West for 2nd all time among rappers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nas

Imagine all that...and still unknown to some?!? :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Imagine all that...and still unknown to some?!? :D

Indeed :)

I just couldn't really wrap my head around Nas writing something as cheesy as "Getting Jiggy With It" ..
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    I really hope you are joking otherwise what are you doing on the music forums???

Sorry, but I had no idea who he(?) was either - I've been watching live music since 1971 and have literally thousands of albums, CDs and downloads from a wide variety of musical styles. It happens that I have absolutely zero interest in rappers, so I don't think that lack of knowledge of this person bars someone from commenting in the music forum.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of these are quite well known, but interesting no doubt
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re. no 6, not only is it almost certainly wrong (unless he's counting the minutes cumulatively over the course of the day that Slash and/ or Axl have claimed it took to write), I'd have thought a more interesting fact was how they came up with the 'Where do we go? Where do we go now?' section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I'd have thought a more interesting fact was how they came up with the 'Where do we go? Where do we go now?' section.

Why?

Genuine question btw, not being flippant.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9. The song “Summer of 69” by Bryan Adams is about 69’ing, like, sexually. In this interview, he said: “Some parts [of the song] are autobiographical, but the title comes from the idea of 69 as a metaphor for sex. Most people thought it was about the year 1969.”

No. No, no, no, no, no.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?

Genuine question btw, not being flippant.
    Axl et al had laid down the song up to that point and he, so the story goes, then said those exact words, as in where do we take the song next. Someone involved said something along the lines of 'Why don't we use that, see if it fits', and that's how that section was written.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

#56 is worded in an especially clunky fashion, claiming There She Goes to be "by Sixpence None The Richer" and "originally by The La's too".

Mmmmhmmm. I also think it's wrong to say the song is about heroin. It's obviously using heroin addiction as a metaphor for falling in love, so really it could be about either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Axl et al had laid down the song up to that point and he, so the story goes, then said those exact words, as in where do we take the song next. Someone involved said something along the lines of 'Why don't we use that, see if it fits', and that's how that section was written.

That's interesting, thanks for that.
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Mmmmhmmm. I also think it's wrong to say the song is about heroin. It's obviously using heroin addiction as a metaphor for falling in love, so really it could be about either.

Either way, I do love that song :)
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    "Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” was originally written for Celine Dion."

and it sounds it.. horrible horrible song.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    No. No, no, no, no, no.

It's not really a shock though. Bryan Adams was 10 in 1969... I doubt one of his bandmates got married at that age ;)
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    It's not really a shock though. Bryan Adams was 10 in 1969... I doubt one of his bandmates got married at that age ;)

I was going to say the same thing. The lyrics and story of the song sounds like it happened to someone in their late teens so I kind of figured, eventually, that it wasn't about the year 1969 due to Bryan's age then.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

Do you know what? I'd never even thought about that. But my "no, no, no" was because it's one of my favourite songs, and now I'm only ever going to think of this when I hear it :(