Options

1999-big memorable year for music?

Comments

• Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Macy Gray was the most interesting new artist of 1999 for me.

Yes, my Mum saw her perform on Jools Holland and she then went to buy her album just before she released 'I try.' She thought her voice sounded different. Well, Macy Gray is still around.
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1999 is very special in terms of music...

it was the year when the first time i appreciate music... of course it is because of the music artists who rose to fame on that time..

as the thread starter has mentioned.. most especially westlife..

in our country that time, it's all about BRITNEY, J.LO AND WESTLIFE :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    1999 was the year when the charts started to become a joke. A new number one virtually every week and nearly every number one was a new entry at number one.

lol, sorry, but this just reads like a post by someone presumably born in 1962. ;-)

"It was much better in my day..." :D

I'm kind of cross generational, cause I do remember the days when being a new entry at, say, number five was a big thing that only really big acts like Pet Shop Boys or Wham! could hope to do.

But I was young enough to still think the charts were interesting in the late 90s/early 2000s, especially if you got a chart battle between two big songs released the same week... Groovejet/Sophie Ellis Bextor v Truesteppers/Beckham for instance, although that was 2000 I know.

A lot of 90s rocky stuff, particularly Britpop, really hasn't stood the test of time for me... I'd never listen to Blur or Oasis now, and I do remember at the time hating that Blur song 'come on come on come on... get through it'. That would be the last thing to help me get through anything!

But the dancy stuff from that time was pretty good. ATB is still a choon, and... okay... embarrassing I know, but I still love this... :blush:

It's kind of what would've happened if a young Lorraine Kelly had recorded a song... :D
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 7 years old for most of 1999 and I remember most of the songs mentioned so far. I think I prefer them to today's music!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    My 1999 guilty pleasures

B*witched - Blame It on the Weatherman.

Don't feel guilty, it's a lovely song!

Got Wamdue Project, King of My Castle suggested by YouTube whilst watching Ann Lee, choon with bells on... :cool:

And another stonking choon at number one!
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, sorry, but this just reads like a post by someone presumably born in 1962. ;-)

"It was much better in my day..." :D

I'm kind of cross generational, cause I do remember the days when being a new entry at, say, number five was a big thing that only really big acts like Pet Shop Boys or Wham! could hope to do.

But I was young enough to still think the charts were interesting in the late 90s/early 2000s, especially if you got a chart battle between two big songs released the same week... Groovejet/Sophie Ellis Bextor v Truesteppers/Beckham for instance, although that was 2000 I know.

A lot of 90s rocky stuff, particularly Britpop, really hasn't stood the test of time for me... I'd never listen to Blur or Oasis now, and I do remember at the time hating that Blur song 'come on come on come on... get through it'. That would be the last thing to help me get through anything!

But the dancy stuff from that time was pretty good. ATB is still a choon, and... okay... embarrassing I know, but I still love this... :blush:

It's kind of what would've happened if a young Lorraine Kelly had recorded a song... :D

yeah...but it was! :p

99 was full of generic, cynically manufactured, commercal crap. the op highlighted as much.

the point is, that between the mid 50's and mid 80's you had original music, styles, genres, being created by the youth of the day. by 99 manufactured acts (and i chose that word deliberately) we seen as normal.

thats whats wrong with all modern music...it lacks not only originality, but balls, anger, rebelion, identity, it says nothing about this generation.

wheres the craftsmanship? wheres the spiritual connection? wheres the era defining identity?

you might say it doesnt matter as long as you like what you hear... and to a point thats true. but i think you are missing out on the way we enjoyed music, teds from the 50's, mods and hippies from the 60's, glamrockers, prog rockers, punks, from the 70's, original indie when indie meant something. fashions and styles that WE created, the youth of the day.

i dunno, you seem to get off on hype, loudness, everythings 'amazing', whilst listening to age old recycled music us parents created. you go down the shops and buy the uniform...be it rock, indie, 60's etc... y-a-w-n.

so dont knock oldies saying things like that.... because its true, we know it, you are missing out on what excitement we had. :p:D
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a good year for me. I can honestly only find one album I'd class as truly great album from that year.

The Soft Bulletin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i dunno, you seem to get off on hype, loudness, everythings 'amazing', whilst listening to age old recycled music us parents created. you go down the shops and buy the uniform...be it rock, indie, 60's etc... y-a-w-n.

so dont knock oldies saying things like that.... because its true, we know it, you are missing out on what excitement we had. :p:D

Ha ha!

I'm 36, and I have noticed the way 'kids' (so anyone under the age of 25) use the word 'amazing'. I was sitting in a park having my dinner the other day, and a girl next to me was phoning a call centre to pay a bill or something. At the end of the call, she said 'that sounds amazing'. I felt like saying to her 'is it really amazing? Did he offer to teleport himself to your house and personally do the work by thought power and then cook your tea? Or was he just pressing a few buttons on his computer?!' :D

I must be middle-aged then... your generation thinks I'm one of the kids cause I like 'Two Times', the under-25s think I'm an old duffer! :D
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah...but it was! :p

99 was full of generic, cynically manufactured, commercal crap. the op highlighted as much.

the point is, that between the mid 50's and mid 80's you had original music, styles, genres, being created by the youth of the day. by 99 manufactured acts (and i chose that word deliberately) we seen as normal.

thats whats wrong with all modern music...it lacks not only originality, but balls, anger, rebelion, identity, it says nothing about this generation.

wheres the craftsmanship? wheres the spiritual connection? wheres the era defining identity?

you might say it doesnt matter as long as you like what you hear... and to a point thats true. but i think you are missing out on the way we enjoyed music, teds from the 50's, mods and hippies from the 60's, glamrockers, prog rockers, punks, from the 70's, original indie when indie meant something. fashions and styles that WE created, the youth of the day.

Out of interest, how old are you Rob? :D

Also what year is worse for you music wise 1999 or 2014?

I think 1999 can be titled the year of "Guilty Pleasures"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Out of interest, how old are you Rob? :D

Also what year is worse for you music wise 1999 or 2014?

I think 1999 can be titled the year of "Guilty Pleasures"

well its abit early to write off 2014 as its only just started! :p but 1999 was better because of the trance there was especially in the lower reaches of the charts.

yeah i can go with the guilty pleasures bit...after all i like mambo #5! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha!

I'm 36, and I have noticed the way 'kids' (so anyone under the age of 25) use the word 'amazing'. I was sitting in a park having my dinner the other day, and a girl next to me was phoning a call centre to pay a bill or something. At the end of the call, she said 'that sounds amazing'. I felt like saying to her 'is it really amazing? Did he offer to teleport himself to your house and personally do the work by thought power and then cook your tea? Or was he just pressing a few buttons on his computer?!' :D

I must be middle-aged then... your generation thinks I'm one of the kids cause I like 'Two Times', the under-25s think I'm an old duffer! :D

youre an 'inbetweenie'?.. :D but in 99 youd be 21... so i can see why its possibly got good memories for you.

fearne cotton.... just listen to her...everythings 'amazing', i just wonder how she/they can actually discribe something that truely IS amazing! its like, everything has to be extreme, theres no grey, just black and white...of course life isnt like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    youre an 'inbetweenie'?.. :Dbut in 99 youd be 21... so i can see why its possibly got good memories for you.

fearne cotton.... just listen to her...everythings 'amazing', i just wonder how she/they can actually discribe something that truely IS amazing! its like, everything has to be extreme, theres no grey, just black and white...of course life isnt like that.

Yes, I started the job I had for 13 and a half years, had a lot more ready money and was going out and hearing... Wamdue Project, Armand van Helden and Ann Lee. Also Sonique, 'Sweet Like Chocolate', even Venga Boys were fun. I didn't go in the coolest, most sophisticated joints, mind... ;-)

Thinking about these years, I remember I enjoyed parts of the 90s more than I thought! I think whenever the media talks about the 90s, it's either Nirvana and the grunge era (91,92) or the Britpop years in the middle, neither of which were great times for me, so I'd prefer to forget them. Certainly 94-96 I was far more into football than music. I bought an Oasis CD just to look in with it all at school, but I doubt I listened to it more than once. It ended up at the charity shop :blush:

But parts of the late 90s rocked! :cool:
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 1999 saw a convergence of music genres in which you had people who liked rap and hip hop music buying rock music and vice versa. This was indicated in the subsequent years with groups like Limp Bizket.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Woolworths ruined the charts with their 99p of the week which is why 99 and 2000 had more number ones than any other year!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZI3luVUN8E

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVfwYIvixjo

Westlife also kick started Cowell's dominance on the charts sparking ideas that would launch in a few years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

well its abit early to write off 2014 as its only just started! :p but 1999 was better because of the trance there was especially in the lower reaches of the charts.

yeah i can go with the guilty pleasures bit...after all i like mambo #5! :blush:

I didn't mean 2014 specifically I meant the current decade including 2013/12/11 :rolleyes:

Also when was the day that music died in your opinion, whether it was 1998, 2008 etc
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Len - Steal My Sunshine
    Lfo - Summer Girls
    Geri - Look At Me/Mi Chico Latino
    Sugar Ray - Every Morning
    New Radicals - You Get What You Give
    Fat boy Slim - Praise You and Right Here Right Now
    Groove Armada - If everybody looked the same
    Super Furry Animals - Northern Lights
    May Gray - I Try
    5ive - Keep On Moving

Songs that helped define 1999 for me. Ahhh, to go back. ......
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''Oh Baby Baby How Was I supposed To Know That Something Wasn't Right Here'' for me says it all :p

It was a great year for pop but on reflection little has stood the test of time and I remember it purely for Nostalgia :).
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Without a doubt one of the best years for music, there was something for everyone. You had the 80s singers like Whitney coming of age, Britney bringing back teenpop, the Latin fad, respectable indie from the likes of Blur...need I go on lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    1999 was the year i really got into music.. i was only 10 but it was a great year for music for my age some awesome songs from that year.. Also like a few people said. It was the year of Miss Britney Spears lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I started the job I had for 13 and a half years, had a lot more ready money and was going out and hearing... Wamdue Project, Armand van Helden and Ann Lee. Also Sonique, 'Sweet Like Chocolate', even Venga Boys were fun. I didn't go in the coolest, most sophisticated joints, mind... ;-)

Thinking about these years, I remember I enjoyed parts of the 90s more than I thought! I think whenever the media talks about the 90s, it's either Nirvana and the grunge era (91,92) or the Britpop years in the middle, neither of which were great times for me, so I'd prefer to forget them. Certainly 94-96 I was far more into football than music. I bought an Oasis CD just to look in with it all at school, but I doubt I listened to it more than once. It ended up at the charity shop :blush:

But parts of the late 90s rocked! :cool:

thats the thing though... 'the best era in music' is usually (but not exclusively) coincides with the time you were a young adult, going out, having fun, the songs dont have to be good, they get their praise by being heavily laden with nostalgia value.

i have no doubt that todays 21 year olds will look back on 2014 as the great time.

but you have to be objective, and nostalgia for one person doesnt mean the music was great.

over time you can see it for what it is, you can respect even if not like, various genres. i didnt like glamrock (which should be my era cos i was young when it was out) , i didnt like disco, but i cannot deny their place in youth culture.
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    I didn't mean 2014 specifically I meant the current decade including 2013/12/11 :rolleyes:

Also when was the day that music died in your opinion, whether it was 1998, 2008 etc

2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, whats the difference? are tracks from 3 years ago really that different? i dont think so... however, there have been some landmark tracks in the last 3 years that are as good as nearly anything produced in 1999. chase n status 'blind faith' for eg.... fantastic track. but in general, overall, id sooner listen to a top 20 from 99 then 2011-14.

i dont think music died on any day, or year .

quality in chart music has always varied, but we have lost originality and good or bad those original styles defined an era.

my opinions have been voiced many times on here about the downfall of pop music, but i dont mind going over it again! lol

imho the rot set in when business stopped facilitating the ideas the youth of the day had, and created everything for them...ie when manufactured music became accepted as normal. that was mostly down the stock, aitken and waterman back in the mid-late 80's.

at the time they appealled to kids, we never thought it would ever become 'the norm', but over time it did. business took over , creating the pop package, old men my age whos only interest was making money. pre-packaged products, removed the innovation from the youth of the day and gradually over the last 25 years we have charts that are pretty shamefull tbh.

whether todays pop packages are better or not compared to retro music is immaterial really, the point is that if our music was rubbish, it was our rubbish.
  • Options
    alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Skunk Anansie's Post Orgasmic Chill album which came out in 1999, but I didn't buy until a few years later.

I liked Hepburn's 'I Quit', but mainly because it was on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack album. :blush: I like a lot of songs from that album actually, but Hepburn was the only one that was a hit in the UK I think.

Other than that, I liked:

Feeder - 'Yesterday Went Too Soon'
    Blondie - 'Maria'
    Lit - 'My Own Worst Enemy'
    Semisonic - 'Secret Smile'
    Divine Comedy - 'National Express'
    Blur - 'Coffee + TV'
    Supergrass - 'Moving'

I was definitely mostly into indie/rock back then, but I liked some of the pop too.

Britney Spears - 'Baby One More Time'
    Christina Aguilera - 'Genie In A Bottle'
    Ricky Martin - 'Livin' La Vida Loca'
    Jennifer Lopez - 'Waiting For Tonight'

I think my favourite track at the time was 'Drinking In L.A' by Bran Van 3000.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats the thing though... 'the best era in music' is usually (but not exclusively) coincides with the time you were a young adult, going out, having fun, the songs dont have to be good, they get their praise by being heavily laden with nostalgia value.

i have no doubt that todays 21 year olds will look back on 2014 as the great time.

but you have to be objective, and nostalgia for one person doesnt mean the music was great.

over time you can see it for what it is, you can respect even if not like, various genres. i didnt like glamrock (which should be my era cos i was young when it was out) , i didnt like disco, but i cannot deny their place in youth culture.

2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, whats the difference? are tracks from 3 years ago really that different? i dont think so... however, there have been some landmark tracks in the last 3 years that are as good as nearly anything produced in 1999. chase n status 'blind faith' for eg.... fantastic track. but in general, overall, id sooner listen to a top 20 from 99 then 2011-14.

i dont think music died on any day, or year .

quality in chart music has always varied, but we have lost originality and good or bad those original styles defined an era.

my opinions have been voiced many times on here about the downfall of pop music, but i dont mind going over it again! lol

imho the rot set in when business stopped facilitating the ideas the youth of the day had, and created everything for them...ie when manufactured music became accepted as normal. that was mostly down the stock, aitken and waterman back in the mid-late 80's.

at the time they appealled to kids, we never thought it would ever become 'the norm', but over time it did. business took over , creating the pop package, old men my age whos only interest was making money. pre-packaged products, removed the innovation from the youth of the day and gradually over the last 25 years we have charts that are pretty shamefull tbh.

whether todays pop packages are better or not compared to retro music is immaterial really, the point is that if our music was rubbish, it was our rubbish.

Cheers for the read Rob, what would this forum do without you lol

Also I asked about the comparison as you said it was too early to judge 2014 over 1999, really I was asking what era was better/worse the 1998-2001 time or the current time :)

Cool read though, haven't met anyone claiming that music died in the mid 80s, that's a first
  • Options
    Forum Member

I feel exactly that way about Britpop. I wouldn't deny its place in youth culture, even though I disliked most of it. Mind you, I think the people in the media who love re-writing history do like to exaggerate how important Britpop actually was.

The film 'Live Forever' is such a load of pretentious twaddle to my eyes and ears, right down to Albarn fiddling about with his mandolin whilst sullenly answering questions, thinking he's some sort of 90s John Lydon. :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    ''Oh Baby Baby How Was I supposed To Know That Something Wasn't Right Here'' for me says it all :p

Britney alone definitely makes 1999 memorable for me :D Actually I was just thinking back about how different the world was in 1999, not just in music but in terms of technology, fashion, TV, current events and that kinda stuff. Remember Windows 98, dial up internet, bondi blue iMacs and the hype over the Millennium Bug? :D
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

More like;
    "Oh Baby Baby, how was I supposed to know?"
    *cue tingly piano bit as Britney looks longingly at her ugly love interest while twirling a basketball*