AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I invisible or something? :)

Sorry, I missed your post!
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    on the jesy question it's in the works it was about doing a usa tour, someone who was there told a usa street team twitter
  • Options
    TheKnewbiesTheKnewbies Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not in love with random rappers being thrown onto tracks. However this made me think, if we do get Salute will it be a different arrangement from the album?

To work best as a single, and especially for radio, it would benefit from a rethink. The intro works well as an introduction to the album but is too long for radio. My only other criticism of it's current format with single in mind is that it's becoming slightly repetitive before it gets to the bridge. Fingers crossed this is the next video and single but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #WordUpPredicta
    #4 - 52k
  • Options
    old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which I hope is Salute! :p

I can clearly see Salute's popularity on here, but I have to say I don't really think it works as a breakout single..... It may be "anthemic" to an extent - for girls - but how is it going to be the song which draws in larger numbers of the masculine gender???

Wouldn't NFLY be more likely to achieve that?? - (but what do I know???) and I do wonder how much guidance the girls will be accepting/have accepted from Columbia on their choice??
  • Options
    19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a bit of retro Little Mix!

Do you all still remember Mixers Monday? lol :p
  • Options
    EpicEastendersEpicEastenders Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I missed your post!
    It's fine!!

Well I dont know if my browser isnt getting the specific link to the vid, but here is the page its on.

Thank you :D!
  • Options
    EpicEastendersEpicEastenders Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AKkrufwOSs

Lol at this word up parody
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That video is disgusting,

I'm sure they're breaking YT rules. It's really graphic... I don't think it'll last too long especially if it goes viral.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like parody's as some of them are really funny.

But wow that one is terrible. Not even funny in the slightest.
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like that new GRL song, although I thought they were going with 'Show Me What You Got' as their next single, which I also really liked.

I was re-watching the DNA tour last night that someone uploaded to youtube, I hadn't realised how kiddy it actyally was! Considering the girls will have more control of their tour than other aspects, that worries me a bit.
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an edit of Word Up if it was sung by a boy band. I actually quite like it, go figure. Not as much as the girls' version. Are there any up and coming boy bands that harmonize, I sort of miss that. *hunts for BoyzIIMen tapes*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep forgetting Word Up! is out tonight. I really hope they get their 4th top 3 single. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    49 45 LITTLE MIX Move 689 560 129 2.030

+28 Spins
    +14 Bullet
    +0.111 Audience

They had the best day yesterday of anyone from 37-50. Gained 10 the day before, though, so blah to that. Should gain 3-4 positions tomorrow as John Newman and Ellie Goulding go recurrent, Miley is purged, and *maybe* Calvin Harris is purged. If I'm understanding the unspoken, deliberately vague purge rules correctly now, that is.
    old mixer wrote: »
    I can clearly see Salute's popularity on here, but I have to say I don't really think it works as a breakout single..... It may be "anthemic" to an extent - for girls - but how is it going to be the song which draws in larger numbers of the masculine gender???

Wouldn't NFLY be more likely to achieve that?? - (but what do I know???) and I do wonder how much guidance the girls will be accepting/have accepted from Columbia on their choice??
    I'd prefer Salute just because I think it has the biggest hook, the first thing that got stuck in my head on the album. I'd also like to see even more aggressive, driving songs out of LM like Stand Down, Madhouse, etc.

The implied angle from which it approaches gender roles is going to seem a little stale/behind the times in some parts of the US, at least. That said, I think it might help them break out to the 18-34 female audience. The people who were commenting on the Letterman performance that it reminded them of Spice Girls with a little Destiny's Child, if Spice Girls were really good live. Go after those folks before you worry about the people commenting "oh God, not Spice Girls 2.0."

I can see some upside for NFLY as a somewhat mature romantic song (I realized yesterday while thinking about it that while the album has several, they've never released one.) But it's never, ever gotten caught in my head, while more than half of the other album tracks have. I think it would be serviceable and perhaps less risky but I don't see a big possible upside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New Columbia flyer out. 10 new adds last week explains why the radio updates have been good lately. A bit worrying that they've only got one lined up for this week.

http://clients.allaccess.com/mail/C/Columbia/columbia56.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    New Columbia flyer out. 10 new adds last week explains why the radio updates have been good lately. A bit worrying that they've only got one lined up for this week.

http://clients.allaccess.com/mail/C/Columbia/columbia56.html

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains..:p
    What does "Approaching Pop Debut" mean ?? Is that referring to one of the BB charts??
    and what would be the significance be as such??
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Everything Nissl said but also I think if they want to hook in those of a masculine gender who identify as straight, it may be down to the video. I mean, I'm not a straight man but wouldn't there be something appealing about watching a bunch of strong, sexy women running around conquering the world in leather or whatever get-up they'd wear? :D

I've shared the track with a lot of people in my life, my brother started jamming to it the minute he heard it and then I showed him in the Move video and he was never the same again, lol (he's obsessed with Jade). One of my friends called it his new "gay anthem", and put it as his ringtone. So I think the appeal is there, and that driving guitar and bass are something else with headphones on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything Nissl said but also I think if they want to hook in those of a masculine gender who identify as straight, it may be down to the video. I mean, I'm not a straight man but wouldn't there be something appealing about watching a bunch of strong, sexy women running around conquering the world in leather or whatever get-up they'd wear? :D.
    Sadly, although the (im)balance between men and women seems to be slowly levelling out over the years, I rather think there are a lot of men who would feel their "status" was being challenged or eroded - even if it's only subconscious. So although the visual might appeal, the message might be regarded with suspicion..
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything Nissl said but also I think if they want to hook in those of a masculine gender who identify as straight, it may be down to the video. I mean, I'm not a straight man but wouldn't there be something appealing about watching a bunch of strong, sexy women running around conquering the world in leather or whatever get-up they'd wear? :D

I've shared the track with a lot of people in my life, my brother started jamming to it the minute he heard it and then I showed him in the Move video and he was never the same again, lol (he's obsessed with Jade). One of my friends called it his new "gay anthem", and put it as his ringtone. So I think the appeal is there, and that driving guitar and bass are something else with headphones on.

Echoing Nissl and Mina's bolded part. Come on there's a reason Tina Knowles dressed DC in next to nothing.

Salute has a strong catchy tune and I see it appealing to all in the same way an 8 year old can be singing a really inappropriate song. They're just paying attention to the sounds and the meaning bypasses them. Even Aldu didnt get the bit about the battle earlier in the thread.
    So although the visual might appeal, the message might be regarded with suspicion..

A lot of 90s girl group songs were complaining about deadbeat guys and they were still big hits.

What have you done for me lately, OM? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope you don't mind me picking your brains..:p
    What does "Approaching Pop Debut" mean ?? Is that referring to one of the BB charts??
    and what would be the significance be as such??
    I wish I knew. They said the same thing last week. Maybe it means "approaching top 40," which has always been a big cutoff here for some reason, and I think will get them played on a few nationally syndicated shows like America's Top 40. Albeit if that's what it means, it's a pretty slow approach, then.

FWIW I would bet on them making top 40 probably a week from tomorrow, just based on how many things should be removed in front of them on the next two Sundays and the fact that nothing around them is blowing up.

After that it gets tricky... it's been quiet for a few weeks (because most of the big March launches jumped out way ahead of them back in February, tbh). But now more challengers are in the pipeline. I fully expect Beyonce's next song and 5SOS's debut to be hits that blow past them, and I give decent odds to Phillip Phillips, 1D, Clean Bandit, Chvrches, Calvin Harris, and Idina Menzel, plus there's probably a surprise or two lurking in the pack somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Approaching Pop Debut sounds better than Languishing In the Mid 40s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change of topic

I looked into that other thread about Cowell doing his usual undermining and backstabbing comments about his own acts. Its a primary reason why I dont think he's "all that" as a label boss. It made me think though that he has a good track record with male groups: 1D, Il Divo and that bad boy group whose name I dont remember back in the day.

He does not have a history with female groups (turned down the Spices).

I'm dreading his return to the British Isles as regards Little Mix. That is a big unknown for their future. I cant imagine him just letting the girls' team go along as they have without him interfering somewhat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change of topic

I looked into that other thread about Cowell doing his usual undermining and backstabbing comments about his own acts. Its a primary reason why I dont think he's "all that" as a label boss. It made me think though that he has a good track record with male groups: 1D, Il Divo and that bad boy group whose name I dont remember back in the day.

He does not have a history with female groups (turned down the Spices).

I'm dreading his return to the British Isles as regards Little Mix. That is a big unknown for their future. I cant imagine him just letting the girls' team go along as they have without him interfering somewhat.

What was I just saying ???:D:D:p:p
    I rather think there are a lot of men who would feel their "status" was being challenged or eroded
    Heh!! Maybe that applies ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh where I work he would be the epitome of having to lift his leg on your project (like a male dog).
    davem1234 wrote: »
    on the jesy question it's in the works it was about doing a usa tour, someone who was there told a usa street team twitter

Oh so that's why one of the girls asked if people would come. Yaay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen this?! Their BEST Salute performance EVER. They're so strong live, I can't wait to see them at the O2 in May.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIWSK9_fjZQ
This discussion has been closed.