Options

Line Of Duty - New Series BBC2 (No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    I'm just praying to God to not be Hastings. He's the last pillar of morality standing. If it's him I'll lose my faith in humanity :(
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not so. If they were originally based at the destination they could move to meet Denton's car head on once they knew which of several routes she was on with her options narrowing as she approached the destination.
    Have you looked at the map of the area? It was used in the interview with Denton. The most direct route was using the "A4" which was virtually a motorway with 4 lanes in each direction(8 lanes altogether).

Link to map used
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Have you looked at the map of the area? It was used in the interview with Denton. The most direct route was using the "A4" which was virtually a motorway with 4 lanes in each direction(8 lanes altogether).

Link to map used

The only thing about the map is that it isn't to scale, as Denton told Akers it was 15 minutes to 4th street station and the ambush occurred 11 minutes after they left the safehouse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    The only thing about the map is that it isn't to scale, as Denton told Akers it was 15 minutes to 4th street station.
    When was this "15 mins" said? We only saw Denton say 2 sentences to Akers. One was "I'd take the back roads" and the other was about taking the rest of Akers team, which didn't exist. Did it take 15 mins to get there because of the failed attempt to get Gold approval from the Superintendent, and then to get it from Dryden instead. The topology of the road system would be the same. If they knew where Akers' car was, they knew the location of the witness, so why not attack there?
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member

If they knew where Akers' car was, they knew the location of the witness, so why not attack there?

Because it wasn't 'they' who had installed the tracker? Had the violent crime lot installed the tracker for reasons of their own, and thats why they hadn't needed to interrogate it to find out its source?
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was this "15 mins" said? We only saw Denton say 2 sentences to Akers. One was "I'd take the back roads" and the other was about taking the rest of Akers team, which didn't exist. Did it take 15 mins to get there because of the failed attempt to get Gold approval from the Superintendent, and then to get it from Dryden instead. The topology of the road system would be the same. If they knew where Akers' car was, they knew the location of the witness, so why not attack there?

It was said during the first interview with Denton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the scripts http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/line-of-duty-2-ep1.pdf
    p7 for the 15 mins
    p53 for the 11 mins. (also says 17 mins to get to the safe house from the station)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was said during the first interview with Denton.
    We saw the actual conversation with Akers and no mention of time was made.
    So where were the ambushers parked before the convoy turned off down Long Lane? It was Denton alone that decided that. The others were surprised at her choice. They couldn't have ambushed on the A4, too wide and busy with traffic, Crown Avenue not as wide but wide enough to causes problems.

It's seems off the wall, but were the other 2 officers the primary targets? Akers and the witness survived the gunshots and the shots didn't appear to be aimed at their bodies. Automatic weapons for the 2 police officers, but just a pistol for supposed target?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the scripts http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/line-of-duty-2-ep1.pdf
    p7 for the 15 mins
    p53 for the 11 mins. (also says 17 mins to get to the safe house from the station)
    The conversation bit didn't make into the actual aired programme. I do try to check these things.

What really matters is the time taken from the turning off into Long Lane until the ambush. That is the time that the ambushers would have had, to get from wherever they were, to the ambush point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    VicsMum wrote: »
    I'm just praying to God to not be Hastings. He's the last pillar of morality standing. If it's him I'll lose my faith in humanity :(

I absolutely agree with you.

But he does have motive, means and forgot what the other one is..............
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member

It's seems off the wall, but were the other 2 officers the primary targets? Akers and the witness survived the gunshots and the shots didn't appear to be aimed at their bodies. Automatic weapons for the 2 police officers, but just a pistol for supposed target?

Yes, thats a bit weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I absolutely agree with you.

But he does have motive, means and forgot what the other one is..............

It is motive means and opportunity, and sorry to say he appears to have all three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is motive means and opportunity, and sorry to say he appears to have all three.
    Not sure how you got to that.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,636
    Forum Member
    PS: If I watched 5 episodes to come to the conclusion in the sixth that, Barry Lightwater, a character that came out of nowhere, is going to be the big mastermind behind it all, I would be furious.
    What of the senior officer who was not contactable thus forcing Denton having to call Dryden for approval? He seems to have faded into the background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We should not forget that Mike Dryden seconded (Dot) Cotton to the unit. That has to be highly significant since we know he is a bent one from Series 1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For Hastings to be involved, he would need to have discovered the protected witness and all the details. The means and opportunity were totally out of his hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We should not forget that Mike Dryden seconded (Dot) Cotton to the unit. That has to be highly significant since we know he is a bent one from Series 1
    We may know that, but what do the Police know? Cottan was seconded because he was in AC9(witness protection). He was promoted because he gave evidence against the others about the prioritizing of cases in order to make the figures look good. Only Gates was seen by AC12 as being involved with the heavier stuff. The behaviour of everybody else on Gates' team was just seen as misconduct rather than corruption.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We may know that, but what do the Police know? Cottan was seconded because he was in AC9(witness protection). He was promoted because he gave evidence against the others about the prioritizing of cases in order to make the figures look good. Only Gates was seen by AC12 as being involved with the heavier stuff. The behaviour of everybody else on Gates' team was just seen as misconduct rather than corruption.

Do u recall that (Dot)Cotton took Tommy into a police van and did a deal with him, in the last eposide of the previous series ?

If that does not make Dot bent I dont know what does !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do u recall that (Dot)Cotton took Tommy into a police van and did a deal with him, in the last eposide of the previous series ?

If that does not make Dot bent I dont know what does !
    We know that, but what do others in AC12 etc know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    What of the senior officer who was not contactable thus forcing Denton having to call Dryden for approval? He seems to have faded into the background.

Mallick. I think he's implicated somehow but not sure why or to what extent. However, I don't really think he's behind it all purely because Jed Mercurio said no minor characters would be involved in the resolution of the main plot.
    For Hastings to be involved, he would need to have discovered the protected witness and all the details. The means and opportunity were totally out of his hands.

I agree. I find it a bit difficult to believe that it would be him responsible for the ambush, it'd be quite a stretch. (and I really don't want to be him)
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p7 for the 15 mins

I'm interested in this underlined bit from LOD2 episode 1 script. Page 77

190 EXT./INT. ASHFIELD NURSING HOME/KATE’S CAR. CONTINUOUS.
    Kate’s car creeps towards the Nursing Home but hangs back.
    She takes in the signage.
    She sees Lindsay’s car go out of sight.
    NB CAR DRIVEN BY DOUBLE -- NOT KEELEY.
    Kate’s phone rings.

It's so confusing! But I'm very impressed by being able to read the scripts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm interested in this underlined bit from LOD2 episode 1 script. Page 77

190 EXT./INT. ASHFIELD NURSING HOME/KATE’S CAR. CONTINUOUS.
    Kate’s car creeps towards the Nursing Home but hangs back.
    She takes in the signage.
    She sees Lindsay’s car go out of sight.
    NB CAR DRIVEN BY DOUBLE -- NOT KEELEY.
    Kate’s phone rings.

It's so confusing! But I'm very impressed by being able to read the scripts.

This is when the actor does not have to shoot that specific scene, so they have a double for them. It usually happens when the actor is not going to have a close up or they don't need to be recognisable from a certain distance, so they do not have to be dragged to location to film minor scenes. Sorry to burst your bubble :)
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is when the actor does not have to shoot that specific scene, so they have a double for them. It usually happens when the actor is not going to have a close up or they don't need to be recognisable from a certain distance, so they do not have to be dragged to location to film minor scenes. Sorry to burst your bubble :)

Thanks for that, I'm speed reading and thought Lindsay had given Kate the slip some how.:D

Still think it's one of the best drama's I've seen in ages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guardian article: "Is Denton guilty? Line of Duty creators admit even they didn't know at first as finale nears"

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/mar/16/line-of-duty-is-di-denton-guilty-keeley-hawes-jed-mercurio
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Substitute her repeated "It was only a cat" with "It was only a baby".

Think about it...but then I've been wildly wrong about these things in the past, usually by looking for clues when there weren't any!

Mark Bonnar was sublime in the interrogation scene tonight, don't think I've ever seen him in other roles before, but that was some piece of acting.

He was in Doctor Who ( my fav show ) :D
    In face I recognised him straight away as it wasn't that long ago he was in the show !