BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    Rating of the night.

BBC3's Life and Death Row: 970k (4.2%)
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's exactly the same as Silk got last week so that's not to bad for it. Plus not a bad start to Widower.

I don't think you can say its not a bad rating, its poor for a drama on BBC1. Not disaster by any means, but not something to be deemed as not bad. Just because it got the same rating as last week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Rating of the night.

Very strong rating
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To add to that news of Alan Titchmarsh quitting his show

Alan Titchmarsh has announced that he has quit his ITV chat show.

Writing in his weekly Daily Express column, the gardening broadcaster revealed that he will bring his daytime talk show to an end after seven years.

However, he will continue to present ITV's Love Your Garden and is expected to host Britain's Best Garden.

The final episode of The Alan Titchmarsh Show will air in late 2014.

He said in a statement: "I've thoroughly enjoyed my years at the helm of The Alan Titchmarsh Show but I feel the time has come to move on.

"With some exciting new projects ahead, I'm looking forward to continuing to work with ITV."

An ITV spokesperson said: "Alan has decided that the next series of his chat show will be the final one to give way to other projects with us which will be announced in due course."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a558428/alan-titchmarsh-quits-itv-chat-show-its-time-to-move-on.html#ixzz2wJgAr84w
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

I imagine Britain's Best Garden will be a daytime series to fill the slot that Britain's Best Bakery took.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Rating of the night.

That is a superb rating!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Michael McIntyre Chat Show dropped 400k to 2m. I thought it would drop more, so that not a bad rating in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you can say its not a bad rating, its poor for a drama on BBC1. Not disaster by any means, but not something to be deemed as not bad. Just because it got the same rating as last week

I agree it's still nothing to right home about, but is thought it would drop more against the widow.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Michael McIntyre Chat Show dropped 400k to 2m. I thought it would drop more, so that not a bad rating in the circumstances.

I thought it was better last night. He actually took more time to talk to the guest instead of messing about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    There is a much wider problem with the quality of ideas being commissioned across both mainstream channels. The hit rate is way too low and the lack of imagination on display startling.

Couldn't agree more. The word 'startling' is a good one. Both channels are badly underperforming in ideas and in execution, and the audience are voting with their feet. Far too many peak-time dramas are getting lacklustre figures, yet still gaining return series. Rather than fix commissioning, 5 million simply becomes 2012's 6 million. And then in a few years time, it'll be 4 million. This is complacent and defeatist in my view.

Broadchurch got great weekday evening figures. So too Death in Paradise. Downton Abbey and CTM get huge and *consistent* Sunday figures, but Mr Selfridge and Musketeers leak theirs. I believe there are hard but simple reasons for this. The latter shows are not good enough. It's not just about slot and opposition. It's not just about "OAPs" or lead-ins. Without a consistently good quality and *distinct* product with high production values - one that is properly matched to its audience - you're not going to hold your viewer's interest. Blaming the audience for low figures is the last defence of the scoundrel. Or TV journalist ;-)

And then there is the problem with genre and innovation. Clearly nobody ever lost their job as a TV commissioner by green-lighting yet another police drama. When the NTAs create a whole new awards category called 'Best Detective', then perhaps the industry is trying to tell the commissioners something? ;-) Of course there will always be a place for good police drama on TV, but my god! How long will it be before 'Best brooding scandi-inspired detective drama with disappointing figures' becomes a separate BAFTA category?

At the moment, I'm witnessing some of the best peak drama slots on British TV (e.g. Sunday 9pm) playing to audiences that only recently were so-so for a weekday. How long till those audiences give up on the whole idea of 'appointment to view' TV drama? And whose fault will that be?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5's "Can't Pay" night didn't do as well as I thought it would

Can't Pay, We'll Take it Anyway ... 1.4 Mill inc +1
    Can't Pay Debate ... 814k

Channel 4:

Shop Secrets .. 1.73 Mill
    OBEM ... 2.2 Mill
    8 Out of 10 Cats ... 1.0 Mill

Revenge ... 368K
    Mad Fat Diary 378K
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    Channel 5's "Can't Pay" night didn't do as well as I thought it would

Can't Pay, We'll Take it Anyway ... 1.4 Mill inc +1
    Can't Pay Debate ... 814k

Channel 4:

Shop Secrets .. 1.73 Mill
    OBEM ... 2.2 Mill
    8 Out of 10 Cats ... 1.0 Mill

Revenge ... 368K
    Mad Fat Diary 378K

That's the second debate featuring that troll Hopkins that hasn't done that well isn't it?

I'm not against these debates, but I am against giving this bloody woman a platform, again and again.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    That's the second debate featuring that troll Hopkins that hasn't done that well isn't it?

I'm not against these debates, but I am against giving this bloody woman a platform, again and again.

I think what has happened is they seen that the Benefits Debate did so well, they rushed out the Immigration and the Can't Pay debates in the hope it would be bringing in good numbers.

Benefits Debate only did well because C4 stupidly did not air the last episode of Benefits Street due to The Jump.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    There are no more EE repeats on BBC Three from next week it appears, so I guess the channel bosses don't feel bound to keep it fixed in its slot in its final week. Perhaps they preferred to try and get a big audience for a PSB doc in the 22:00 hour (about prostitution, which got 715k/4.7%) to show what the channel can do, while the BBC Trust mulls over its future.

In fact tonight and on Thursday it does go out at 22:30 as normal, and on Friday there's no episode at all due to Sport Relief of course.
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky's in house figures for True Detective S1 E1;

Live - 208k
    Sky+ within 7 days - 569k
    Other Showings within 7 days - 423k
    Downloads to date (Go and OD) - 614k.

Total - 1.8m.

https://twitter.com/ruskin147/status/445933637184552960/photo/1
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    That's a great rating for True Detective. Indicates that Overnights are becoming increasingly irrelevant. It will be a slow decline, but the writing is on the wall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have access to find the ratings for;

'Auf Wiedersehen My Pet' on ITV at 2pm
    The Chase
    Tipping Point

Thanks
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    all_night wrote: »
    I think what has happened is they seen that the Benefits Debate did so well, they rushed out the Immigration and the Can't Pay debates in the hope it would be bringing in good numbers.

Benefits Debate only did well because C4 stupidly did not air the last episode of Benefits Street due to The Jump.

Agree - milking these debates too much had left ratings sour.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    There are no more EE repeats on BBC Three from next week it appears, so I guess the channel bosses don't feel bound to keep it fixed in its slot in its final week. Perhaps they preferred to try and get a big audience for a PSB doc in the 22:00 hour (about prostitution, which got 715k/4.7%) to show what the channel can do, while the BBC Trust mulls over its future.

In fact tonight and on Thursday it does go out at 22:30 as normal, and on Friday there's no episode at all due to Sport Relief of course.
    BBC3 EastEnders is off for ONE WEEK ONLY. Which is a pretty big week with 5 episodes (730 & 830 Thurs 27th March)
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Corrie still over 8m on a Monday and this is excluding +1. Not in trouble yet or if it ever will be.
    It wasn't all that long ago we were saying the same thing about 9m. I think Coronation St's ratings are being flattered by EastEnders not having seen its own ratings pick up significantly yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Silk's problem is that it's lost some of the appeal it once had. Its ratings were never stratospheric, but they were at least respectable.
    It's lost its soft slot for series three, whereas series one and two had the much easier Tuesday slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprise to see Titchmarsh's chat show biting the dust. The only surprise is how long it's lasted with those figures.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    Five debate rated fine. 900k (inc. +1) is a perfectly respectable result for these at 10PM. Question Time gets three times as many but on average BBC1 output will be something like five times more popular than typical C5 output. The share of the audience was above average and it retained a good percentage of its lead-in which wasn't as big as it should have been.

It would have been obvious even to Five that subsequent debates would not top the benefits debate or come close to it due to the unique circumstances that surrounded that broadcast.

Frow's keenness to explore topical issues and current affairs more extensively in primetime on the channel is working well without having a dramatic or obvious ratings impact.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a great rating for True Detective. Indicates that Overnights are becoming increasingly irrelevant. It will be a slow decline, but the writing is on the wall.

Yes overnights are now totally and utterly irrelevant, let alone "becoming".

And so is this thread, and one of the reasons I can't be fagged posting here any more. Who cares whether ITV beat BBC1 head to head in the overnights by 150k, and let's crack open the champagne. Only the officials count and BBC1 piles on more than ITV.

This thread only need exist on Mondays now really....
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 10th March 2014 - Consolidated Ratings
    1 - Coronation Street (19:30) - 9.31m (9.12m excl. +1)
    2 - Coronation Street (20:30) - 9.04m (8.84m excl. +1)
    3 - EastEnders - 8.12m
    4 - Emmerdale - 7.63m (7.40m excl. +1)
    5 - DCI Banks - 6.51m (5.88m excl. +1)
    6 - BBC News (18:00) - 5.35m
    7 - Silk - 5.16m
    8 - BBC News (22:00) - 4.62m
    9 - The One Show - 4.40m
    10 - ITV News (18:30) - 3.71m (3.62m excl. +1)

BBC Two - University Challenge - 3.22m
    Channel 4 - One Born Every Minute - 3.18m (2.83m excl. +1)
    Channel 5 - Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! - 2.06m (1.88m excl. +1)
    BBC Three - Family Guy (23:00) - 691k
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's lost its soft slot for series three, whereas series one and two had the much easier Tuesday slot.

Just in the same way as some dismiss ITV drama ratings when they have a Corrie lead in, saying they are overinflated, we can probably do the same for any drama that airs on BBC1 on a Tuesday.
This discussion has been closed.