Options

"Cure Me, I'm Gay" - Channel 4 - 18/03/14

pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,759
Forum Member
✭✭
This is on tonight, Tuesday 18th March 2014 at 10:00pm. Will you be tuning in? Dr. Christian Jessen tries out various gay cure methods to see if he can be "cured" of homosexuality and exposes what some people get up to in the name of science, and usually for a fee.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/undercover-doctor-cure-me-im-gay

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,058
    Forum Member
    Yes looking forward to it, although hope they don't 'cure' him, I like him just the way he is.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,234
    Forum Member
    Yes will be watching through my hands, as a gay man I think its going to upset me just from the previews ive seen
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I saw this advertised, I thought I heard he was going 'undercover' to investigate these cures. My first thought was, 'doesn't everyone know who this guy is? How is he going to be undercover?' :D

I personally think it's rather sad that there are people out there that think being gay needs a 'cure'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He goes to America where he can be himself, but probably is "undercover" in UK places as he would be quite well known from the telly.

I can imagine this is going to cause a bit of a stir later on...
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The presenter of this was interviewed on This Morning earlier. From what he said it sounds like its going to be pretty harrowing viewing at times!
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    He goes to America where he can be himself, but probably is "undercover" in UK places as he would be quite well known from the telly.

I can imagine this is going to cause a bit of a stir later on...

Ah, thank you for that, I wasn't paying close attention to the ad when I saw it.:)
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll watch it because I'm watching the programme before it but it seems like a waste of time tbh. If it was a matter of someone who, for whatever reason, wanted to know if it was possible and had an open mind on the subject then I'd see the point but this is a man who's fine with his sexuality and doesn't believe it can be changed. His mind is made up before he even looks into the subject, so the whole exercise is pointless and the chances of a balanced look at it from all sides are nil.
    Its a bit ironic to see 2 controversial documentaries in 2 days( one on BBC3 and one on Channel 4) and the BBC one to be the more balanced one.
  • Options
    Ashford SteveAshford Steve Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you want a 'balanced' programme on the view that one's sexuality is a mental illness, which can be 'cured' by aversion therapy? Which century do you think you are living in?
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not going to watch because I think this is a stupid concept and would be a waste of my time.

But that's because I know being gay is about having a relationship with another person of the same sex, and everyone has relationships and everyone loves people of the same sex, so being gay isn't something I can't say "oh there's that dramatic thing you can define as gay; a gene, a sexual experience, a belief, a chemical in the brain and that makes a person gay" and then if it was defined as sex then this should be "cure me from having sex from someone that gets me aroused and I love and have feelings for"...and that's ridiculous.

This is a program hat will most benefit heterosexual people so I would advice them to watch it to see how horrific it is when insisting someone who is gay to not be themselves, because you'll learn how it can affect the human mind to not be their natural self. That is the start of mental health issues right there.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many moons ago I can recall a former colleague suggesting that people had been turned gay by watching too much C4. I'd love to see her face if she's seen the trailer for this!
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I'll watch it because I'm watching the programme before it but it seems like a waste of time tbh. If it was a matter of someone who, for whatever reason, wanted to know if it was possible and had an open mind on the subject then I'd see the point but this is a man who's fine with his sexuality and doesn't believe it can be changed. His mind is made up before he even looks into the subject, so the whole exercise is pointless and the chances of a balanced look at it from all sides are nil.
    Its a bit ironic to see 2 controversial documentaries in 2 days( one on BBC3 and one on Channel 4) and the BBC one to be the more balanced one.

How can you expect a confident gay man to enter this with a completely open mind? He is not a self hating person who truly wishes to change and I highly doubt he views his sexuality as something that can truly be "cured". He's simply doing an experiment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you want a 'balanced' programme on the view that one's sexuality is a mental illness, which can be 'cured' by aversion therapy? Which century do you think you are living in?

A century where I believe its important to investigate things before coming to conclusions, rather than just make up your mind before you start and do a documentary that claims to be an investigation but is really just an opportunity to air beliefs you already had, that were never going to change whatever you saw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    How can you expect a confident gay man to enter this with a completely open mind? He is not a self hating person who truly wishes to change and I highly doubt he views his sexuality as something that can truly be "cured". He's simply doing an experiment.

As I said, I don't. I would rather see the documentary done by a scientist who was impartial and was looking at both sides of the issue.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,589
    Forum Member
    Yes will be watching through my hands, as a gay man I think its going to upset me just from the previews ive seen

The trailer looks awful :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, I don't. I would rather see the documentary done by a scientist who was impartial and was looking at both sides of the issue.

How would that work? Who would be undergoing the treatment? How easy is it to find a gay man who is impartial to possibly having his sexuality changed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the "cures" worked, surely it wouldn't matter what the gay persons own views on their sexuality were, they would still be "cured" regardless?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would that work? Who would be undergoing the treatment?

In that scenario they'd be observing others going through the treatment and seeing what really happens and how it affects the individuals who, for whatever reason, have chosen that route.
    Their really is no point in someone who's vehemently against it and doesn't believe in it undergoing treatment anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    If the "cures" worked, surely it wouldn't matter what the gay persons own views on their sexuality were, they would still be "cured" regardless?

I'm not sure that's true when it comes to other psychological treatments so I'm not sure why it would be in this case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that scenario they'd be observing others going through the treatment and seeing what really happens and how it affects the individuals who, for whatever reason, have chosen that route.
    Their really is no point in someone who's vehemently against it and doesn't believe in it undergoing treatment anyway.

How could a scientist do a show like this without bias? There's no actual evidence that gay conversion therapy works. He would be taking the word of complete strangers with no scientific evidence to back up their claims.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How could a scientist do a show like this without bias? There's no actual evidence that gay conversion therapy works. He would be taking the word of complete strangers with no scientific evidence to back up their claims.

I would hope that a scientist would be more likely to be able to investigate the evidence before them in a more balanced manner than a self styled diet doctor who frequently pushes ideas that little evidence as if they were fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hope that a scientist would be more likely to be able to investigate the evidence before them in a more balanced manner than a self styled diet doctor who frequently pushes ideas that little evidence as if they were fact.

What evidence can a scientist investigate that has not already been investigated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What evidence can a scientist investigate that has not already been investigated?

As I said, they could investigate what was actually happening I front of them. I always thought that was the point of a documentary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, they could investigate what was actually happening I front of them. I always thought that was the point of a documentary.

It has been done. What new "evidence" will the scientist be investigating?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been done. What new "evidence" will the scientist be investigating?

So you're saying someone else has already been to the exact same places he is going to and done a documentary about it ?
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some appalling and frankly shocking views on here even entertaining the idea that being Gay can be changed.Im not even using the term "cured"
This discussion has been closed.