Options

Best way to get to Ireland ?

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

I am interested in going to Ireland this year & wondered what the best way of getting there is ?. I know that I can go by plane to Belfast from my local Airport, but the taxes there are ridiculously high at about £240 return, so would need to go to a different airport like London or Birmingham to get a budget airline. I was considering going by the Rail & Sail method, but have heard that the Irish Sea can be as rough as f***.

Are there any frequent travelers to Ireland here & if so what method do you use ?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I go to Dublin and It's always less than £100 return. I use aer lingus and have flown from manchester and stansted.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Ask them when did they last win Eurovision.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Head west.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't usually support Ryanair, but we went from East Midlands to Dublin a few years ago for not a lot of money.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I go to Dublin and It's always less than £100 return. I use aer lingus and have flown from manchester and stansted.

Thanks rockerchick :). I have checked the flights & they seem very reasonable, even when I have added the cost of the Rail fare to either airport. :)
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go by ferry the Irish Ferries ship Ulysses is apparently almost cruise ship standard so you don't have to worry about a rough crossing, you should still get a smooth journey. You can Rail and Sail on that and also with Stena Line.

We're going to Ireland in June, out on Stena Line and returning with Irish Ferries, got a good deal thanks to Tesco Clubcard boost tokens. We considered flying but decide it would be better to take the car.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which part of Ireland do you want to visit?

As others have said, Ryanair is dirt cheap on some flights - especially if you just take a hand luggage bag. You can fit a fair bit into one of those if you get a good one.

Decide which part you want to visit then go on Ryanair's website and check out the flights.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you not just stick a gallon of petrol in the Millennium Falcon?
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Liverpool airport is good for Ireland, also if you want to go to Dublin you can fly to Belfast and a coach down to Dublin is £20 return, Belfast George Best Airport by the way, Belfast International is away out in the countryside
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hitch hike with a leprechaun :p
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go via Ryanair for cost and it's only a short flight.

We go quite regularly to the ROI as the OH has family there and when we had kids used the ferry between Swansea and Cork. I have found it to be at the extremes; either calm as a whistle or OMG I'M GOING TO DIE, so I would be apprehensive about the ferry myself. Might depend on the route and what waters you are crossing though (I don't know the first thing about that stuff).

I may consider the Ulysses and go a different route in future if it's that good.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    hitch hike with a leprechaun :p

Is this another special offer from Ryanair?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    If you go by ferry the Irish Ferries ship Ulysses is apparently almost cruise ship standard so you don't have to worry about a rough crossing, you should still get a smooth journey. You can Rail and Sail on that and also with Stena Line.

I've been on that ship. I travel a lot from Ireland to the UK and prefer to go by ferry than fly as it means I can do my shopping in the UK and bring it back :D I usually get a cabin or sometimes I go Club Class. If you go Club Class they have free wifi and food :D
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definitely fly as I don't believe in ferries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I would definitely fly as I don't believe in ferries.

What? You don't believe in them?

I can tell you with certainty that they do indeed exist as I have been on one. :D
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »

I can tell you with certainty that they do indeed exist as I have been on one. :D

I once saw some at the bottom of my garden.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I once saw some at the bottom of my garden.

SOME?!?!?!?

How big is your garden? I am impressed at one, let alone several!
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just what I needed after feeling miserable all day. :D:D:D
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definitely fly as I don't believe in ferries

That made me LOL :D

I've been to the ROI a few times and I'm flying with Ryanair for the first time in September when I go to Dublin for my 50th.I've heard all the horror stories about Ryanair but I'm not too worried.Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed :)
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick mention of Kerry airport - flights from Stansted & Luton with Ryanair and is a perfect spot so see SW Ireland... I found if you book in advance, flights can sometimes cheaper then going via Cork.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Just a quick mention of Kerry airport - flights from Stansted & Luton with Ryanair and is a perfect spot so see SW Ireland... I found if you book in advance, flights can sometimes cheaper then going via Cork.

I am vaguely recalling seeing mountains on either side and thinking "WTF, where the hell is the airport? That mountainside is far too close for comfort... :eek:". Is that Kerry?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am vaguely recalling seeing mountains on either side and thinking "WTF, where the hell is the airport? That mountainside is far too close for comfort... :eek:". Is that Kerry?
    Ha that's probably Kerry airport alright - its actually a grand quiet airport though - no waiting, no fuss just hop on and hop off... perfect for anyone wanting to see Munster on their travels.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ha that's probably Kerry airport alright - its actually a grand quiet airport though - no waiting, no fuss just hop on and hop off... perfect for anyone wanting to see Munster on their travels.

I've flown out of Kerry before. Mum reckons it's a tin shed of an airport :p I normally use Shannon airport. Never used Dublin or Cork airports. Galway (where I live) used to have an airport but it's closed now :( Shame really as it was useful. They really should reopen it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, small, quiet, quick and simple. It was Kerry I am sure of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've flown out of Kerry before. Mum reckons it's a tin shed of an airport :p I normally use Shannon airport. Never used Dublin or Cork airports. Galway (where I live) used to have an airport but it's closed now :( Shame really as it was useful. They really should reopen it.
    Shur Shannon only down the road you you good folk and a good road all the way! - It really is a shed but its actually very handy for flights even connecting flights via London.