Options

Breaks for smoking at work

ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apologies if there have been other threads on this - if there have, I haven't seen them.

I started a new job late last year, working for a large company. There are very few people here - surprising given the size of the place - who smoke. One of people in my team goes out for a cigarette at least 4 times in the morning and again in the afternoon, for roughly 10 minutes each time (in addition to the time it takes to get to the smoking shelter, right at the other end of our site).

She has complained that she feels 'spyed on' by staff, as the office manager has commented in the past on how often she goes out, but she seems to feel hard done to, rather than being picked up for wasting company time.

What are people's thoughts about all this additional time smokers get off during the working day? I think it's ridiculous - here they only have to go from 8.30am to 12 and then 12.30 until 4.30. They're getting paid for time they're not working. (I might have a quick browse on the Web when I'm not busy, or at lunch time, but I know my colleague does this in addition to having the breaks).

I'd be in favour of scrapping the breaks or allowing them but as unpaid. It is an addiction, after all.

Comments

• Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be one of those people who believe that productivity = time spent sitting at desk. It doesn't.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound jealous. If you want these breaks, start smoking. If you're happy not smoking then forget about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's not spent standing in a shelter, smoking, is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound jealous. If you want these breaks, start smoking. If you're happy not smoking then forget about it

Just ridiculous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many companies ask those who smoke to take a 45min lunch, with the remaining 15mins for smoking breaks. Some expect all staff to 'clock out' when on breaks. Other companies expect neither and smokers simply get more breaks......and here's the trick, there is nothing stopping you from joining smokers outside on their breaks....or stepping away from your duties for a few minutes if the smoke disgusts you.

Personally, I'm really not arsed with worrying about whether smokers get 15mins / 20mins, or whatever, extra breaks a day. I'm sitting here dossing on my PC right now and tomorrow, I'll probably have a slightly longer lunch break to get my hair cut....but I'm on call 24/7 and sometimes work late or come in on weekends, so it's all swings and roundabouts really.

At the end of the day, if people complete their tasks, meet their objectives, etc., I can't see the harm. If performance becomes an issue then I'd expect their manager to implement tighter control of their time management.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Just ridiculous

Why? Are you worried that these breaks are having an affect on the company or are you just annoyed that they get to stop working for 10 minutes?

Sounds like the latter from your post
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never worked anywhere that would allow that sort of thing, either when I smoked or now that I don't. I don't think it's on, and wouldn't have done when I smoked either.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who wants to smoke in our office has to clock off and clock back on again when returning.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody, but nobody, smoker or not, spends every second of their working day actually working. People go to the toilet, get drinks, have a natter with the person sat next to them. If someone wants to nip out and get a ****, then there really isn't any difference.

Besides, just because someone isn't at their desk doesn't mean they aren't working or thinking about work. Often I'll sit on the bus home thinking about problems at work, and I don't charge this back to the company. These things balance out in the end.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's not spent standing in a shelter, smoking, is it?

Depends on the job. A change of surroundings can spark new ideas, one good idea can be worth a month sitting at a screen doing nothing creative.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Is it having an effect on the person's work?

I'd bet that non-smokers spend just as long swinging the lead at work as the average smoker spends on their breaks.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a small business owner, I wouldn't let any of my staff walk out for several minutes at a time to have a ****.

You want to smoke, fine that's your choice. But you don't do it on my time.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work is boring, anything you can find to escape from it, toilet trips, smoking breaks, tea breaks, biscuit munching, it all helps kill time and boredom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably a large company can easily monitor non work related internet time so maybe they should do that and see who is getting the bum deal.

Or maybe they should just let it pass because they know the smokers arrive earlier, leave later, work through lunch, meet deadlines, help other people etc etc while non smokers are bitching about them on the internet?
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    shankly123 wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to smoke in our office has to clock off and clock back on again when returning.

Probably the best way forward, then people are only being paid for the work they do.

Either that or make NO smoking breaks at all, or allow smoking breaks and allow non smokers the commensurate time off.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    You must be one of those people who believe that productivity = time spent sitting at desk. It doesn't.

You're right however, going by the OP, taking an extra 1 hour and 20 minutes per day on top of your given breaks (which I have no doubt aren't as long as that) is a bit rich and more than likely not productive.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    and here's the trick, there is nothing stopping you from joining smokers outside on their breaks....or stepping away from your duties for a few minutes if the smoke disgusts you.

Actually, this isn't entirely accurate and depends entirely on the manager. I used to take and apple break when the smokers had their **** break. After a week of this I was told that I had more than enough breaks in the day to eat food.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smokers pop out 3-4 times a day for a ciggie. Some others might spend the same amount of time away from their desks chatting to other people, popping over to the shop, others might be at their desk nattering on the phone about non work stuff, or browsing the internet, checking Facebook, etc.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the addicts need time to get their fix and feed their addiction then the time to do this should be taken from their lunch or any scheduled breaks. Simple.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd be in favour of scrapping the breaks or allowing them but as unpaid. It is an addiction, after all.

Is this an appropriate attitude towards addiction, is more my concern?
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    It's impossible to generalise. As ffawkes mentioned, sitting at a desk does not equate to working.

I used to smoke, and I've worked for a number of companies where people complained about the number of breaks smokers were taking. The funniest one when when some jobsworth insisted that the amount of time smokers spent in the smoking area was monitored. The HR Manager went one stage farther and, on the quiet, monitored all breaks. Guess who spent more time standing at the coffee machine chatting to her pals than any smoker spent in the smoking area? :D

As well as a change of scenery, it's sometimes a good way to interact with people from other departments and talk about work. Sadly, there are those who seem to think (and I use the word "think" loosely!) that if you're standing in the smoking area you can't be discussing work, but if you're at your desk, you must be working (as opposed to browsing the internet!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Actually, this isn't entirely accurate and depends entirely on the manager. I used to take and apple break when the smokers had their **** break. After a week of this I was told that I had more than enough breaks in the day to eat food.

If that was me, I'd happily point out the positive discrimination taking place and, should there still be an issue with me enjoying the same privileges as smokers, I'd ask for smokers and non-smokers to be treated equally when it comes to breaks.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    In my last job, I used to take smoking breaks throughout the day, but because I worked through my lunch hour and most days worked late, it was never a problem. I know that I worked bloody hard, and very rarely did personal bits (either emails, internet or personal calls) during work hours.

I can't do that in my current job, because my boss doesn't allow it, so I go without during core hours.
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a smoker and in the job I do now have the same breaks as the non-smokers. If we work a 12hr shift - which is what I do - we have 2 x 20min tea breaks and a 30min meal break. If its a quiet night the team leader might tell the smokers to have a 'smoke' break and the non-smokers tend to get another tea break.
    In other jobs I have taken a shorter lunch break and used the rest to take a 'smoke' break. Interestingly though in my last job a couple of non-smokers were the ones that took the pi$$ - never back from lunch on time even though the next person couldn't go until they come back, 5 or 6 'tea/toilet' breaks a day (obviously I used to take tea/toilet breaks, a quick 5mins and back. They used to be 15/20mins), have a 5min flick thru' the news paper break. I'm no angel but I still only had my hour a day as opposed to their 1.5 - 2hrs!
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    As a small business owner, I wouldn't let any of my staff walk out for several minutes at a time to have a ****.

You want to smoke, fine that's your choice. But you don't do it on my time.

I wouldn't employ a smoker, disgusting