Options

W1A - Twenty Twelve sequel

Comments

• Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tennant's voiceover is brilliant. I loved how Ian is getting the hang of the politics by the end and is just as good as everyone else at passing the buck.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I truly hope the budget for this came from Factual Programming or whatever they call it.

Loved the Rushdie - Yentob cameo.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    I truly hope the budget for this came from Factual Programming or whatever they call it.

Factuality😆
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »

The Factuality department sat in their Interactive Space to discuss the show.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animal Magic

Thanks a lot. I knew that I should have remembered it.
  • Options
    Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    This was awesome :)

David Tennant had some hilarious lines. Hugh and Jessica were both great.

Roll on next week!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That intern looked liked Matt Smith's kid brother.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff. And all too believable.

I've worked in so-called hotdesk environments and everyone does get very possessive over "their" desk.

Had a similar experience in the past half an hour to find a free desk, i.e. one not covered in FO signs.. only to find that the one clear desk is the one with the broken cables or missing power connectors.
  • Options
    macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    I almost cried with laughter at some points. I think the key thing with this is that it is all too believable.. The group of people who couldn't be separated from their mobile phones and the fact that they kept constantly vibrating was just perfect. I have definitely met Jessica and that po-faced woman who didn't like any of the food in the restaurant. Amazing that none of the hot desks had been used as a repository for junk though.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the lucky break about Alan Titchmarsh, any bets when we'll get a veiled (or not :o ) reference to Susanna Reid?
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At one point I thought I'd nodded off and awoken back in the Ministry of Defence (where I worked for 26 years) as the kind of management b******s being spouted in W1A is rampant there, too. And getting worse.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Hehe not enough cornish representation, Simon Greenall wasnt it? I only remember him from alan partridge and voice work, mainly mr hoppy on monkey dust :D

He's also the voice of Alexsandr Orlov in the Meerkat adverts
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it and hope that we get a bit of good skirtage in the eps to come
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,162
    Forum Member
    Morning folks.

I saw the trailer for this and I thought to myself: "This looks a bit like a show written by pretentious BBC types, about pretentious BBC types, for pretentious BBC types"

So, was I right, or am I miles off the mark? Like the rest of the country, the 2012 thing past me by as it looked a bit like a show written by pretentious media types, about pretentious media types, for pretentious media types (though in hindsight, it looks as if 2012 was written by pretentious BBC types).

Shall I tune in next weeK, or shall I not bother?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    As usual, the BEEB gets a favourite and bungs them in everything they can, but she's probably a bit grand now for sitcoms like W1A.

Apparently Olivia Colman does "pop in" at some point.

Good stuff but I imagine the reality is far, far worse!
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning folks.

I saw the trailer for this and I thought to myself: "This looks a bit like a show written by pretentious BBC types, about pretentious BBC types, for pretentious BBC types"

So, was I right, or am I miles off the mark? Like the rest of the country, the 2012 thing past me by as it looked a bit like a show written by pretentious media types, about pretentious media types, for pretentious media types (though in hindsight, it looks as if 2012 was written by pretentious BBC types).

Shall I tune in next weeK, or shall I not bother?
    Oh it doesn't look like you need to bother really, as you have already made your mind up without bothering to watch it (just as you did with 2012) and your views seem so firmly entrenched as to be set in concrete already.

So I'd save yourself the time, effort and pain and just watch something you allow yourself to like. :D
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    I work for the BBC and a lot of W1A was filmed in my office. Yes, I do actually work on the legendary 6th floor. I saw a lot of the filming whilst I was going about my daily business!

Anyway, I quite enjoyed it. I worry that some of the jokes are maybe a bit too "in joke" for people outside of the BBC to really appreciate.

It is a very broad parody of life in Broadcasting House, but there is some accuracy there. I'll stick with I I think.

When the W1A people used the glass lifts they were certainly a lot faster than in reality, and I actually saw someone with an orange folding Brompton bike outside earlier today :D
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure a lot people liked this and can relate to similar situations in their own jobs.

I recorded it and watched about ten minutes of it. I might at sometime be desperate enough for something to watch, to actually go back and watch more. But it's unlikely.

As soon as I saw the bike, I thought. it'll be the same old jokes again, so for me I thought it'd be a bit "Wild Geese 2" for those who know what I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it today and thought it was hilarious. "No Signal" had me laughing out loud.
    The problem is that I won't be able to attend any more work meetings without trying to sneak in some of the phrases :D
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it today and thought it was hilarious. "No Signal" had me laughing out loud.
    The problem is that I won't be able to attend any more work meetings without trying to sneak in some of the phrases :D

Any examples of "Buzzword Bingo?"

We used to play this at senior management meetings and seminars. We'd do a list of words, duplicate it and give it to the participants, there were no winners but we used to take bets on how many would be used.

There's a list on Wiki of the most common ones. But we used to tailor our list with those which were endemic in our company. It helped to pass the time in otherwise long afternoons.

About ten years ago some of us who contributed to a private message board even used to play a version on the BBC Points of View message board, we had to see how many words from a list we could get into sentences in any post. We got quite good at it, even expanding it to phrases.

My favourite was, the song titles from The Sound of Music. Between a dozen of us we got them all in, on various programme topics, sometimes two or more in the same post Nobody twigged it.
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Oh it doesn't look like you need to bother really, as you have already made your mind up without bothering to watch it (just as you did with 2012) and your views seem so firmly entrenched as to be set in concrete already.

So I'd save yourself the time, effort and pain and just watch something you allow yourself to like. :D

Well said, I couldn't have put it better :cool:.

I thought 2012 was briliiant and really enjoyed Ep1 of W1A.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Hugh B in Downtown is a complete ham. In this and 2012 he is completely wonderful. His face does all the work for him, no need for words. David T's commentary - class. I thought Carol V was very natural. Looking forward to next week.

I think that's largely because Downton Abbey is essentially Crossroads with butlers and, like Crossroads, any actual acting is frowned upon.:D

Hugh Bonneville is a fine serious actor. Who would have thought he would be good at comedy as well?
  • Options
    Inseriousity.Inseriousity. Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    A lot of subtle humour in this (the subtitles being totally wrong) but everyone being incompetent seems a bit OTT. Parks and Rec is proof (imo) you don't need to make everyone a buffoon to make quality comedy about an office-like environment. Hugh Bonneville's facial expressions though lmaooo. I particularly liked his expression when the intern brought him the right coffee, thought it was wrong and walked out. "Double-take, hang on a sec, wtf."
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh Bonneville is a fine serious actor. Who would have thought he would be good at comedy as well?

If you ever get the chance to see him in 'Diary of a Nobody' (if you haven't already), take it. It's effectively an extended monologue and he's brilliant.

I'd already read the book but found he really brought it to life (rather the reverse of the usual effect of seeing a book transferred to screen), and showed the genuine underlying affection the authors held for Pooter.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Siobhan Sharpe is so funny. I loved the little chant she did to herself in the meeting room 'BBC, BBC, BBC' :D:D and suggesting the Cornish woman is put on Snog, Marry, Avoid to show Cornish representation on the BBC!