Options

TV licence law change plan considered by ministers

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one can convincingly make the case for the BBC being "like the NHS", not in this day and age.

Like a park maybe, like a library...

Something that any civilised society would have.
    Of course the Conservatives are anti the NHS and the BBC. And state pensions and welfare and... well basically anything that a civilised society would have.

It seems to me that the Conservative party is weird.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Its just wonderful value and can't understand why paying 50p a day is a big deal.

Even if you don't watch TV what the LF funds is really remarkable. You may not watch TV (as you Noise747 so often remind us, again, and again, and again and again) but look upon the LF as you would the NHS, you may not use either everyday but you are in your own very little way helping your fellow man (and woman) make life that tiny bit nicer. :)

But the NHs is important and you can not really compare it to the BBC.
    You may go for years paying for the NHS, but then all of a sudden you need it.

I would be really miffed if I had to pay for the BBC and not use it, just to make life that bit nicer for someone else. Not that me not paying for the Tv licence is going to make a difference to anyone else.

I already pay enough for services I don't use, I really don't want to pay another 50P a day for another service I do not use.
    I do not find the BBC value for money at all. No way is it worth 50p a day, not for me anyway.
    so your idea of paying for it via council tax is not that bright, thankfully it will never happen.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,752
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I have not heard from them for a while now, I been expecting a letter as it is over two years since i told them i don't need a licence.
    I have got the odd visit, but again not since early, mid last year as far as i know.
    Maybe they forgot about me.
    I think two years is about right. They will probably contact you this year to confirm that nothing has changed. Just tell them that it hasn't and that'll be that.

Or you could be completely obstinate for no other reason that "because I can" and have it drag on and on for ages.

I know which I would chose to do :)
    Tassium wrote: »
    No one can convincingly make the case for the BBC being "like the NHS", not in this day and age.
    But the NHS is important and you can not really compare it to the BBC.
    They can as an analogy of "paying for something you might not use a lot".
    Or those.
    Something that any would have.
    Quite right too. Many a civilised society has a PSB.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    It was the BBC when they first started Freeview who wanted to get rid of boxes with card readers so it would be difficult to set up subscription

Thus saving the majority of people a fortune...:)
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just wonderful value and can't understand why paying 50p a day is a big deal.

Even if you don't watch TV what the LF funds is really remarkable. You may not watch TV (as you Noise747 so often remind us, again, and again, and again and again) but look upon the LF as you would the NHS, you may not use either everyday but you are in your own very little way helping your fellow man (and woman) make life that tiny bit nicer. :)

We hardly ever watch the BBC channels and I don't get what you mean by what the LF funds is really remarkable and I don't think the LF is anything like the NHS. I think the BBC should be privatized. It should be funded by adverts like every other channel we watch. Yes I know everyone will disagree.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We hardly ever watch the BBC channels and I don't get what you mean by what the LF funds is really remarkable and I don't think the LF is anything like the NHS. I think the BBC should be privatized. It should be funded by adverts like every other channel we watch. Yes I know everyone will disagree.

Just look at what the beeb offer overall, not just Eastenders but a superb News service, great web site, radio stations to suit all tastes in music and some great programmes, remarkable value and a service that should not be privatised IMHO. We have Sky and Netflix and to be honest I watch far far less on those platforms than I do the beeb, that said as a family we are not (thankfully) 'hooked' on watching TV and tend to be selective on what we view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Thus saving the majority of people a fortune...:)
    Maybe, maybe not, you don't know if it would cost more.
    Maybe if we had subscription the BBC may put some better content on. the problem is they know they will get £145 a year from most people, subscription, they have to work to keep people happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe if we had subscription the BBC may put some better content on. the problem is they know they will get £145 a year from most people, subscription, they have to work to keep people happy.

You don't watch TV so why are you bothered about the content? You say Netflix satisfies your viewing pleasure?

They really need to increase the LF, more funding is needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just look at what the beeb offer overall, not just Eastenders but a superb News service, great web site, radio stations to suit all tastes in music and some great programmes, remarkable value and a service that should not be privatised IMHO. We have Sky and Netflix and to be honest I watch far far less on those platforms than I do the beeb, that said as a family we are not (thankfully) 'hooked' on watching TV and tend to be selective on what we view.

Also a load of crap as well, they have gone down to commercial TV level for crap. The Voice, the apprentice, Strictly come dancing, that is commercial cheap Tv.

i have no interest in getting Sky even if i did not have to pay for a Tv licence, too much crap on there for the price as well.

Netflix may not be perfect, but at least it is cheaper than the TV licence and I can watch stuff when I want, not when the schedules want me to. The only problem I do have with Netflix is that some things get taken due to rights, which can be annoying.

i don't watch lot of Tv, which is why Netflix suits me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's remarkable that anyone would look at BBC TV programming and call it superb. Maybe 10% is of a high standard, most of it is not.

Neither does BBC TV provide for all sections of society equally.

If you are of that group that is provided for, and your tastes provided for, then the BBC might seem to be "great value".
    The people running BBC TV are just no good at it. They are lacking talent.

The person in charge of what should be entertainment central (BBC1) has a background in serious documentaries! Before her it was ex-BBC3 social climber Danny Cohen.

Before him, current destroyer-in-chief at Channel 4 Jay Hunt was BBC1 controller.

The last person with any ability was Peter Fincham. Now at ITV.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume that you all understand that there will be no free to air BBC radio if the BBC goes subscription only, or hadn't you thought of that. I don't see Global subsidising the proms, or anything else for that matter either.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <snipped> and I can watch stuff when I want, not when the schedules want me to. .
    You've not heard of a PVR then? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    You've not heard of a PVR then? :confused:

Yeah i have got two of them packed away in their boxes, but you can still only watch what have been broadcasted. Anyway, I record stuff using mine and never watched half of it. i think there is still stuff on the disks of both units that i have never watched.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We are selective as well and don't agree that the BBC provide a great service and remarkable value.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

So do the BBC, otherwise they'd fail their remit, their charters and nobody would watch.

It could be argued that the intense media scrutiny, usually fuelled by agendas, makes it much harder work for the BBC, they can't even change their toilet paper without some dogsbody putting in a freedom of information request!

And, subscription always costs more, certainly to get more than one channel. Commercial media usualy pays higher wages for equivalent posts, then there's advertising budgets, bundling, equipment costs for "free" boxes and the like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also a load of crap as well, they have gone down to commercial TV level for crap. The Voice, the apprentice, Strictly come dancing, that is commercial cheap Tv.

i have no interest in getting Sky even if i did not have to pay for a Tv licence, too much crap on there for the price as well.

Netflix may not be perfect, but at least it is cheaper than the TV licence and I can watch stuff when I want, not when the schedules want me to. The only problem I do have with Netflix is that some things get taken due to rights, which can be annoying.

i don't watch lot of Tv, which is why Netflix suits me.

'Crap' in your opinion (and I don't hold it high if your happy watching some of the pap on Netlix). The Apprentice, Strictly Come Dancing are watched and enjoyed by millions so they have 'crap' taste in viewing do they, in your opinion? I don't watch either but as they hold mass appeal I think calling the shows 'crap' is wrong.

Off out for dinner now, home later and will watch Bluestone 42 on BBC3 when I get back, :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time,Question is what to do with all the detector vans hmm :D idea maybe go and knock on the doors of murderers ,rapists,robbers etc real criminals.
  • Options
    MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netflix may not be perfect, but at least it is cheaper than the TV licence and I can watch stuff when I want, not when the schedules want me to.
    I didn't realise that paying the TV license meant you were banned from using BBC iPlayer or PVRs to let you watch BBC programmes when you want. Do tell us more about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are selective as well and don't agree that the BBC provide a great service and remarkable value.

If we all agreed on everything the world would be a dull place, your view is as valid as mine, neither view is an absolute, just an opinion :)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i have got two of them packed away in their boxes, but you can still only watch what have been broadcasted.
    Which was not what you said when you posted about being able to watch stuff when you wanted, not when the schedules want you to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next Conservative assault on the BBC will be a suggestion that some selfish people want everyone else to pay for their TV viewing...

"Why should ordinary hard-working families pay for the TV viewing of a group of people well-able to pay for it themselves?!"

The BBC is moving away from providing an equal service to all sections of society.

So a large number of people feel unprovided for and must go elsewhere for their TV viewing.

Result: Anti-BBC types stir up trouble. TVL cut more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Something that any civilised society would have.
    Of course the Conservatives are anti the NHS and the BBC. And state pensions and welfare and... well basically anything that a civilised society would have.

It seems to me that the Conservative party is weird.

They're not weird, (well they are) they just want you to pay the going rate individually for each and every service you use. So if you haven't the money, tough. I always prefer the Big society approach. If every child had to be educated in the same system, If everyone was treated in the NHS. access to the same legal advise and so on, wouldn't we have a better place to live in? So instead of £145 a year for the BBC double that and possible more for the same service.
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next Conservative assault on the BBC will be a suggestion that some selfish people want everyone else to pay for their TV viewing...

"Why should ordinary hard-working families pay for the TV viewing of a group of people well-able to pay for it themselves?!"

The BBC is moving away from providing an equal service to all sections of society.

So a large number of people feel unprovided for and must go elsewhere for their TV viewing.

Result: Anti-BBC types stir up trouble. TVL cut more.

Sure I heard something a long those lines by an audience member on last nights question time.

I was quite surprised by the animosity toward the Beeb with only two panel members completely defending it and hardly any audience members.

I was minded that the time was right for a licence increase but now I think it might be more damaging to the BBC than another freeze and further austerity measures.
  • Options
    womer_ukwomer_uk Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I think two years is about right. They will probably contact you this year to confirm that nothing has changed. Just tell them that it hasn't and that'll be that.

In your opinion - the two years is not enforceable in law - its just TV Licencing's own guideline (which counts for nothing legally) - if they ever came to me I would use one of their favourite phrases, "vigorously defend actions in court"
    Quite right too. Many a civilised society has a PSB.

True but they don't have an outdated method of paying for it (without any way of changing its priorities)
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    womer_uk wrote: »
    In your opinion - the two years is not enforceable in law - its just TV Licencing's own guideline (which counts for nothing legally) - if they ever came to me I would use one of their favourite phrases, "vigorously defend actions in court"
    )

The two years is however a reasonable time for them to check again - as many people do tend to move these days on a semi regular basis (an awful lot of people rent on short term contracts, jobs change, people move/split from partners).
    This is especially true if the house in an area with a high student population where a lot of properties can change tenants every 9-12 months.

IIRC your council tax bill if you've got an exemption has to be renewed every year and I think you are legally required to tell them if things change between check and another (likewise many other fees you are legally required to pay by law under certain circumstances).