Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for my phone to be activated for 4g.

Must be the last person left.

As said, you will have been done. It seems Three didn't send any SIM updates to activate users; they simply added the IMSI to the relevant list so it will register on 4G.

So, what you need now is to have the phone let you select 4G. Any phone that reads the SIM seems to hide the option to select 2G only and 4G. But rather than Three updating the SIM, it seems it is going for the route of getting the handset software updated and if your phone hasn't been done yet, you might need to seek advice on how to manually update it.

Incidentally, Three always said you'd need a software update, but I assumed they'd do a SIM update - as did most people - and that seems not to have been the case. It does mean that even someone who can use 4G today might potentially have problems if they put their SIM in another phone they get, especially an older one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    Your SIM is probably activated its likely to be the firmware on your phone preventing you from seeing 4G. You will either have to change your firmware or wait until Three send an actual SIM update out.
    jonmorris wrote: »
    As said, you will have been done. It seems Three didn't send any SIM updates to activate users; they simply added the IMSI to the relevant list so it will register on 4G.

So, what you need now is to have the phone let you select 4G. Any phone that reads the SIM seems to hide the option to select 2G only and 4G. But rather than Three updating the SIM, it seems it is going for the route of getting the handset software updated and if your phone hasn't been done yet, you might need to seek advice on how to manually update it.

Incidentally, Three always said you'd need a software update, but I assumed they'd do a SIM update - as did most people - and that seems not to have been the case. It does mean that even someone who can use 4G today might potentially have problems if they put their SIM in another phone they get, especially an older one.

This is exactly the problem. My phone hides the 4g / LTE option when a three sim card is inside.

I knew I was waiting for a firmware update.... But its taking the piss now!
  • Options
    daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sales lady told me at a 3 store in Northampton that 4G would be launching here by the end of March to the beginning of April.

I asked a couple of times if she was sure thinking she got confused with the 4G sim activation and she was adamant that it was coming very soon and that they where decommissioning some masts where the signal was good enough on 4G alone.

We will see and maybe just maybe a sales rep told the truth!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daleski75 wrote: »
    A sales lady told me at a 3 store in Northampton that 4G would be launching here by the end of March to the beginning of April.

I asked a couple of times if she was sure thinking she got confused with the 4G sim activation and she was adamant that it was coming very soon and that they where decommissioning some masts where the signal was good enough on 4G alone.

We will see and maybe just maybe a sales rep told the truth!

Errmmm...decommissioning masts? 4G is only for data, NOT for voice calls. So unless she wanted everyone to make their calls with Skype etc, that would simply be untrue! I hate it when sales staff spout rubbish to make themselves look good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonStatt wrote: »
    Errmmm...decommissioning masts? 4G is only for data, NOT for voice calls. So unless she wanted everyone to make their calls with Skype etc, that would simply be untrue! I hate it when sales staff spout rubbish to make themselves look good.

They will say anything to clinch that deal and to make you sign on the dotted line and besides three's coverage is Northampton is actually pretty good and the speeds are around 10 to 15mbit where I travel with ping's as low as 49ms so even though 4G would be nice I must say I am not that much in a rush to see it.

EE4G at my place of work is the same speed as 3's 3G and at home it peaks at 25mbit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems as though 4G is starting to release even more pressure on the 3G network :D

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/798324241
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    Seems as though 4G is starting to release even more pressure on the 3G network :D

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/798324241

Speeds in my area have gone from 3Mbps to 7Mbps, though that could be due to an additional mast being switched on.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northampton is actually pretty good and the speeds are around 10 to 15mbit where I travel with ping's as low as 49ms
    Should really be around 35ms or better in Northampton tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Should really be around 35ms or better in Northampton tbh.

The average ping times where I live is around 60ms which is still better than the average of 80ms with EE.
  • Options
    YogimaxYogimax Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    culabula wrote: »
    Anyone spotted any instance of 4G in the north of Ireland yet? Sitting here in Dublin using 4G from Three on all my devices, it's a tad annoying -but unsurprising -when back in the north and denied same.

Nothing yet in Belfast, Lisburn or any of the other towns to be enabled as far as I can see :cry:
  • Options
    thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for 4G in my area, thank god we are due to get it some time this year. This speed is about average at the moment in this area: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/770906187
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly the problem. My phone hides the 4g / LTE option when a three sim card is inside.

I knew I was waiting for a firmware update.... But its taking the piss now!

What phone do you have ?
    I never had the 4G option either but upgraded to kitkat 4.4 and the option appeared.
    Not that ive had the chance to try it naff all 4G around here.
  • Options
    squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Expansion in Glasgow appears to be pretty slow, there is no LTE coverage in the city centre and existing sites are a bit thin on the ground coverage wise.

I was wondering if someone can provide advice as to what to look out for on planning applications in order to gauge what to look out for as hints about possible upgrades?
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squawkBOX wrote: »
    Expansion in Glasgow appears to be pretty slow, there is no LTE coverage in the city centre and existing sites are a bit thin on the ground coverage wise.

I was wondering if someone can provide advice as to what to look out for on planning applications in order to gauge what to look out for as hints about possible upgrades?

I am around Glasgow quite a bit with work and there is little evidence of any work being carried out at EE sites where 3's 4G will be co-located. AFAIK there are a few priority sites in the East End of Glasgow and one in the West End, probably for the Commonwealth Games visitors (Same happened in London for the 2012 Olympics). There also seems to be an active site at Renfrew/Braehead which makes sense due to the footfall there.

I stated previously that Mid-2014 looked like a reasonable time to expect to see wider city coverage in Glasgow and that was stated by some as 'rubbish', but as March is almost half way through and with the time to develop sites at about 4-6w weeks at best that estimate appears to be more than generous.
  • Options
    digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for my phone to be activated for 4g.

Must be the last person left.

Nope, join the club. In the last couple of weeks I've even had two software updates to the Note 3 I bought from their store, but no sign of the 4g option being available which makes me think it is a sim issue despite what others say.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SIM is now able to register on 4G. It's a handset issue. Keep on at Three if you bought the phone from them, but bear in mind they did say end of March so still have just over a week to sort out the software updates.

Can you manually update the phone via Samsung KIES?
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have switched 4G off today as it causes more issues then its worth at the moment, only because the signal is patchy.

4G is preferred so when there is no 4G signal it gives off no signal for a time and then reconnects to 3G afterwards. I've never been without a 3G signal on my bus journeys as it seamlessly connects between masts without signal interruption.

I guess I will enable it back in a months time and see if things have improved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The average ping times where I live is around 60ms which is still better than the average of 80ms with EE.

I have a base ping of less than 40ms in Scotland. That's with a 12ms distance penalty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4G is preferred so when there is no 4G signal it gives off no signal for a time and then reconnects to 3G afterwards.
    This shouldn't be happening and suggests the network parameters (specifically regarding cell selection/reselection and inter-RAT reselection) need tweaking...
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd share this from Cardiff on Wednesday. :)
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/797579116
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SIM is now able to register on 4G. It's a handset issue. Keep on at Three if you bought the phone from them, but bear in mind they did say end of March so still have just over a week to sort out the software updates.

Its a HTC. Bought as sim free from carphone warehouse.

I'll wait until the end of the month. But not holding my breath.
  • Options
    digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have tried but no further updates. You'd think they would have remembered in one of the two OTA updates to enable 4g but it seems not :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just at the Everton game at the moment, which is a 4G area and this is the first time today I've had 4G.

Definitely still some teething problems on 4G. The 4G is much quicker than the unusable 3G so why it has switched earlier I don't know.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a HTC. Bought as sim free from carphone warehouse.

I'll wait until the end of the month. But not holding my breath.

If its an HTC One you will get the 4G option when you update to kitkat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    I got a 300mb update yesterday for my sim free galaxy mega which at long last enabled the lte option
This discussion has been closed.