Options

Abortion pro choice or pro life?

Comments

• Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    All these anti abortionists have you actually been in that situation?
    They anti-choice rather than anti-abortion. They want the state to control women's wombs and fertility cycles.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Thank you .

I don't get it.

But then, maybe there are those who have no real clue about pregnancy, complications, foetal development and why some late abortions for medical reasons occur. All irrelevant really, whether it's the young girl's overheard conversation about being up the duff and getting rid, or another situation, we will never be party to it. It is confidential.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Her body starts to change from day one and then it's gradual.

So? If a woman doesn't want to go through all of those changes for a baby she doesn't want, who are you to stop her?
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    So? If a woman doesn't want to go through all of those changes for a baby she doesn't want, who are you to stop her?

Who am I stopping?
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    They anti-choice rather than anti-abortion. They want the state to control women's wombs and fertility cycles.
    Bullshit - don't put words in peoples mouths.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    How many people here have kids or have actually been in the situation of having an unexpected or unplanned pregnancy?

I take your point to be rhetorical but people should think twice before disclosing such information on a public forum. It's too easy to make a mistake in the heat of an argument.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,053
    Forum Member
    I'm pro-choice, but I would prefer it if there were fewer abortions - I'd rather we educated people to take precautions, and reduce unwanted pregnancies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who am I stopping?

So why are you arguing against it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I don't get it.

But then, maybe there are those who have no real clue about pregnancy, complications, foetal development and why some late abortions for medical reasons occur. All irrelevant really, whether it's the young girl's overheard conversation about being up the duff and getting rid, or another situation, we will never be party to it. It is confidential.

Oh so you're talking about problem pregnancies and not the convenient abortions!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So why are you arguing against it?

Obviously because I disagree with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Bullshit - don't put words in peoples mouths.
    That's the crux of it though. If you want the state to ban abortion then you are anti-choice, and by taking the responsibility for that choice away from a woman you are wanting the state to dictate to her what she can and cannot do with her womb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously because I disagree with it.

Obviously I was not asking who are you to physically stop a pregnancy. I'm curious why you are against having an abortion when some women do not want to carry an unwanted fetus for 9 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the crux of it though. If you want the state to ban abortion then you are anti-choice, and by taking the responsibility for that choice away from a woman you are wanting the state to dictate to her what she can and cannot do with her womb.
    Its not the state but society via democracy who has made the choice in most places abortion is illegal.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    I'm pro-choice, but I would prefer it if there were fewer abortions - I'd rather we educated people to take precautions, and reduce unwanted pregnancies.

Are we really that uneducated though?

At school we learnt in biology how babies are made. We had one phse lesson about how to put a condom on and stis. And that was it.

Yet im pretty sure everyone knew about safe sex from teen magazines, seeing bits and pieces on tv etc. most young people are pretty clued up anyway and the majority of teenage girls are on some form of contraception so im not sure how much more you can tell people.

If my school which didnt really teach about safe sex managed to have no pregnancies then surely ones which do more in depth lessons have pupils even more in the know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not the state but society via democracy who has made the choice in most places abortion is illegal.
    Where do you think the state gets its authority from if not "society via democracy"? "Society via democracy" in our countries IS the state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Obviously I was not asking who are you to physically stop a pregnancy. I'm curious why you are against having an abortion when some women do not want to carry an unwanted fetus for 9 months.

Are you serious? When does it in your mind become a baby?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Where do you think the state gets its authority from if not "society via democracy"? "Society via democracy" in our countries IS the state.

I'd add that it's not much of a democracy if it claims the right to control the bodies of the electorate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I'd add that it's not much of a democracy if it claims the right to control the bodies of the electorate.
    Only one half of the electorate. Which makes it worse in my view.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Democracy is majority rule and the simple fact is that the majority in society cant physically become pregnant so would never be in a position of needing a termination. Why should the majority have the right to dictate to the minority what should happen to their bodies?
  • Options
    superbass88superbass88 Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have to say on this issue I am pro-life, I would only really agree with it in the instance of a rape victim or perhaps that of a severely disable child who will have no quality of life- even then I'm not too sure because there are stories of children being diagnosed as severely disabled, the parents keeping the baby anyway and the child being born to lead a relatively normal life.

Pro-choice, what exactly does it mean? Whose choice? Not the unborn child, that's for sure... If people want to avoid pregnancy there is enough information out there on how to avoid it.

This quote from Ronald Reagan always resonates with me when the topic of abortion comes up:

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said it as if it wasn't the people who decided - its the will of the people, that's how democracy works.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only one half of the electorate. Which makes it worse in my view.

Less than half....women are unable to become pregnant beyond a certain age.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hard to be against it when you don't have a consciousness.

The rape-victim allowance is interesting though. Theoretically it's still killing a innocent baby, no?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I would have to say on this issue I am pro-life, I would only really agree with it in the instance of a rape victim or perhaps that of a severely disable child who will have no quality of life- even then I'm not too sure because there are stories of children being diagnosed as severely disabled, the parents keeping the baby anyway and the child being born to lead a relatively normal life.

Pro-choice, what exactly does it mean? Whose choice? Not the unborn child, that's for sure... If people want to avoid pregnancy there is enough information out there on how to avoid it.

This quote from Ronald Reagan always resonates with me when the topic of abortion comes up:

If you agree with abortion for rape victims or severly disabled children that makes you pro choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said it as if it wasn't the people who decided - its the will of the people, that's how democracy works.
    But the end result is that the state gets to tell women what they can and can't do with their bodies. It effectively tells them they are not to be trusted making decisions for themselves based on their own circumstances. It's incredibly condescending TBH, and a concept I most definitely have an issue with.