Options

Artists who hate their own songs.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
Forum Member
I was aware of a few examples already, but there's some lists here...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51906/10-artists-who-hated-their-biggest-hit

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/more-artists-who-hate-their-own-songs

Sometimes, they have a point. Madonna for instance - 'Holiday' and 'Like A Virgin' are fine for a 25-year old to sing, but would sound faintly embarrassing coming from a mature woman, 'Virgin' especially.

But the likes of Liam Gallagher are plain arrogant. "Makes you want to chin someone," ffs, he should be grateful that people have enjoyed his performance enough to call him 'Mr Wonderwall', particularly as he didn't even write it. If it hadn't have been for his brother's songs, no-one would want to listen to his Beady Eye tracks, so he should remember that.

The Flock of Seagulls singer says he dislikes 'I Ran', but still performs it because the fans enjoy it, which is the right attitude about his job. :cool:

I was disappointed when I heard that Damon Albarn dislikes The Universal, as that's the only Blur song I do like. It's almost as if he's insulting my taste! :(

Comments

• Options
    cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls Aloud hated 'Love Machine' when they first recorded it and were dead against releasing it as a single. I think they love it now though.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady gaga has expressed a slight dislike in Telephone.

Bon Jovi have have said they dislike the whole of their second album and it remains the only album they do not play any songs from, since the tour they did for it.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie hates most of his 80's output.
    Kurt Cobain grew to hate Teen Spirit.
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher always hated Just Like Jesse James. don't know why though, I love it!!
  • Options
    mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was aware of a few examples already, but there's some lists here...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51906/10-artists-who-hated-their-biggest-hit

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/more-artists-who-hate-their-own-songs

Sometimes, they have a point. Madonna for instance - 'Holiday' and 'Like A Virgin' are fine for a 25-year old to sing, but would sound faintly embarrassing coming from a mature woman, 'Virgin' especially.

But the likes of Liam Gallagher are plain arrogant. "Makes you want to chin someone," ffs, he should be grateful that people have enjoyed his performance enough to call him 'Mr Wonderwall', particularly as he didn't even write it. If it hadn't have been for his brother's songs, no-one would want to listen to his Beady Eye tracks, so he should remember that.

The Flock of Seagulls singer says he dislikes 'I Ran', but still performs it because the fans enjoy it, which is the right attitude about his job. :cool:

I was disappointed when I heard that Damon Albarn dislikes The Universal, as that's the only Blur song I do like. It's almost as if he's insulting my taste! :(

Thanks for the links,good reading. It`s often the way I would have thought, the hits of a band are usually the ones they sometimes hate to do or release in the first place (too simple,too `mainstream`) let alone be only known for or have to play forever in their career.

It depends on the band though--dance-pop orientated bands would be crazy to never play their greatest hits--and a groove is a groove,dance-pop acts don`t really `develop` massively. Out of the mainstream it must be a drag to have one big popular hit (Radiohead or REM) and have to play it decades on.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie hates The Laughing Gnome

Eels singer Mark Everett (E) released a solo album in the late 1980's, which at one point he even refused to admit existed and only came to light when it was put on sale on Ebay.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Britney apparently hates Outrageous from In The Zone and I think she wasn't happy about it being released as a single (it was supposed to be released but the video wasn't finished as she broke her knee).
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    A lot of those just seem to come from having to play it a thousand times at gigs :p
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,120
    Forum Member
    Sometimes it can be due to them having a number of important songs but then one gets over-hyped to such a degree that it leaves the other songs in the dust. Like, as mentioned, Kurt Cobain with 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', also Slash with Guns n Roses 'Sweet Child O Mine'.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly hate, but Robert Plant never sings 'Stairway to heaven', despite singing many Zep songs solo over the years. He did sing it at the O2 in 2007 though - it would have been a bit weird if he hadn't I suppose.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they must get bored of singing them over and over again; a slight dislike could turn into a huge dislike.

Its like having a song you don't like stuck in your head - well it would be even worse if it was you singing it all the time!
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westlife despised Mandy, they were furious when Simon told them they had to release it as a single. Also, they never openly said it, but I do think they didn't like their last single Lighthouse since that song came in the very last minute, and also they performed the single maybe just 2 times on TV, while they never did perform it on their last tour.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the black eyed peas 'my humps' they agree with everyone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they must get bored of singing them over and over again; a slight dislike could turn into a huge dislike.

Its like having a song you don't like stuck in your head - well it would be even worse if it was you singing it all the time!

Exactly.

Imagine, for example, how many times Rihanna has probably performed 'Umberella'. It only came out seven years ago but she's probably had to perform it on every tour and every single gig because it was such a big hit. Could you imagine walking on stage every night and having to sing "You had my heart, and we'll never be worlds apart..."? I'd go insane. :o
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Exactly.

Imagine, for example, how many times Rihanna has probably performed 'Umberella'. It only came out seven years ago but she's probably had to perform it on every tour and every single gig because it was such a big hit. Could you imagine walking on stage every night and having to sing "You had my heart, and we'll never be worlds apart..."? I'd go insane. :o

Yeah it must be really tough compared to the average persons repetitive job....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah it must be really tough compared to the average persons repetitive job....

lol, that's what I thought when I read the Flock of Seagulls' guy's comment, which was a lot more grown up than Liam Gallagher's.

He dislikes a particular song, but he still performs it because the fans enjoy it - because that's his job, to entertain his fans, who pay his wages after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    Out of the mainstream it must be a drag to have one big popular hit (Radiohead or REM) and have to play it decades on.

Perhaps the band will think that it mainly appeals to bandwaggon jumpers. They want to perform for their real fans, if there are people at a concert who only know one song, in one way I guess it's a bit insulting to the artist.

A friend of mine went to a Kings of Leon concert, and she genuinely only knew 'Sex on Fire'... she only went because someone had a spare ticket. And from the band's point of view, they want to put on a good show for the people who genuinely love them, so won't be too fussed about those who are just there because the band are flavour of the month. Though there's a long way from that to 'wanting to chin someone' as Gallagher said.

A true professional will put 100% into all the songs, whether they like them or not, because everyone's paid them to perform, real fan or not.
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney dislikes her old stuff like "Oops!" and "Sometimes", I can understand considering she's now a 32 year old woman. I still love them though :blush:

Brandy has openly expressed her dislike for her "Human" album. I loved that too :blush:
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Prince doesn't perform some of his raunchier numbers due to his religious beliefs.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    “It’s Only Love” and “Yes It Is”, both primarily written by John Lennon, are two of my favourite Beatles tracks. Lennon allegedly hated both these songs.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    Britney dislikes her old stuff like "Oops!" and "Sometimes", I can understand considering she's now a 32 year old woman. I still love them though :blush:

I love those songs as well :D I was listening to both of them this week. I have a singing Britney doll that sings Oops I Did It Again. I'm not kidding! :D Can't remember where I got it but I've had it for over 12 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big news story of the moment Kate Bush has said that she is embarrassed by her early stuff - I'm guessing her first three albums. She did explicitly say she couldn't stand O England My Lionheart off Lionheart.

She also dissed her film The Line, The Cross and The Curve saying she liked about 5 minutes of it.

Pink Floyd hated Atom Heart Mother - the 1970 art rock epic especially the 24 minute title track saying they wouldn't play it live for a million pounds nowadays.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna doesn't like Into The Groove.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,034
    Forum Member
    James Arthur, after telling anybody that would listen for months and months how he wrote his album and wasn't a label puppet, has now said his label forced him to record his track 'Nobody Till Somebody Wants You' because it's "what sells" (even though he wrote it according to the credits) and it's rubbish
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls Aloud hated 'Love Machine' when they first recorded it and were dead against releasing it as a single. I think they love it now though.

They were also against 'See the Day' being released as a single calling it old fashioned.