Options

Disabled vs Parent & Child Parking

Comments

• Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but have you ever tried pushing a trolley with a walking stick in one hand and being in severe pain? It's really not the same thing.
    It seems too often that parents think having to shop/go out with children is a similar to having a disability. It's not.
    The safety of your children is your responsibility.

Take it up with the supermarket then. Parent and child parking spaces are a courtesy provided by the supermarket for their customers. They locate them wherever they see fit.
    Of course non parents are free to park in them without any legal penalty, unlike disabled parking spaces.
    Not going to quote jessepinkmans long posts, but I did lol.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adam1968uk wrote: »
    It's probably so small children don't have to walk too far through a car park with cars coming from all directions. Safety first. Obvious really. Don't need to be Einstein to work that one out.

Except these places are in the busiest parts of the car park, so your post makes no sense does it. ;-)

If they were at the back they would be in a safer part. But I bet most would not even use them then and the supermarkets know this.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    It was just a topic that was raised today - not about disabled parking spaces but why there is a need for the Parent & Child ones to be near to entrances, in some cases closer than the disabled ones.
    Do I take it that you don't have a need for either?

Who is likely to spend a lot of money in a supermarket and is therefore more valuable to the store? And how can the supermarket cater more for them?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    It is quite simple, the disabled spaces are at the front because people may not be able bodied or in pain and can't walk far. There's no good reason for able bodied parent and child spaces to all be at the front, there could be some there, some in the middle, some at the back as they have just as much right to a front space as anyone else.

Safety is not an issue if they are in the centre walkway part that typically runs the length of the car park and has bollards to keep the walkway safe.

Where are these wide spaces in the middle of car parks and extra wide central walkways with bollards as I've not seen either in our local supermarkets?

I do think extra wide parent and child spaces are a godsend when your have a baby or toddler and you need the room to take the car seat out of the car but think people in general should stop using them once the kids are of school age. I think people bowling up with a couple of teens and claiming 'well I've got kids with me' are arses tbh
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Where are these wide spaces in the middle of car parks and extra wide central walkways with bollards as I've not seen either in our local supermarkets?

I do think extra wide parent and child spaces are a godsend when your have a baby or toddler and you need the room to take the car seat out of the car but think people in general should stop using them once the kids are of school age. I think people bowling up with a couple of teens and claiming 'well I've got kids with me' are arses tbh

:o I agree, that, imo, is the same as using a parking space for a disabled person when you have the placard displayed but it's not YOUR placard, if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It drives me made and is very insulting.

The Disabled had no choice in the matter and so should rightly get the help they need.
    Yet the open yer legs and drop em brigade freely chose to get into that condition and they get helped with benefits and special parking places over and above people who managed to keep their legs shut.

That's the way this world works: Get yourself up the duff and you have it made. Don't do that and you get no special treatment at all.

Why do you think every chav in existence drops out as many as they can as soon as they can? KERRRRRRCHING! (And you are even given a special parking place whilst you are spending your extra benefits.

Something is seriously wrong when dropping out babies is the way to win.

It's interesting that you don't mention the fathers but just the mothers, unless fathers have a reason to "open their legs" that I'm not aware of. I take it you're a virgin then and have "managed to keep your legs shut"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o I agree, that, imo, is the same as using a parking space for a disabled person when you have the placard displayed but it's not YOUR placard, if you know what I mean.

I work with someone who does that and I really p's me off. She has a blue badge for her mother (who doesn't drive) but she uses it all the time despite the fact she's an able bodied 40 year old. Others at work seem to think it's great as she gives them a lift and pulls up right outside the doors of wherever they're going but I think it's absolutely disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I work with someone who does that and I really p's me off. She has a blue badge for her mother (who doesn't drive) but she uses it all the time despite the fact she's an able bodied 40 year old. Others at work seem to think it's great as she gives them a lift and pulls up right outside the doors of wherever they're going but I think it's absolutely disgusting.

Can she not get fined for that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can she not get fined for that?

If found out, the person whose badge is is will have it taken away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If found out, the person whose badge is is will have it taken away.

Oh, that's not right either. The onus is really on the daughter to NOT use the parking spaces when she clearly doesn't need to (ie. her mother isn't with her).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, that's not right either. The onus is really on the daughter to NOT use the parking spaces when she clearly doesn't need to (ie. her mother isn't with her).

They see it as its the disabled person's badge and their responsibility to keep it with them when not in use.
  • Options
    GillfawleyGillfawley Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Who is likely to spend a lot of money in a supermarket and is therefore more valuable to the store? And how can the supermarket cater more for them?

Parents with little kids spend a fortune in supermarkets. It's a marketing ploy, simples.
  • Options
    Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Take it up with the supermarket then. Parent and child parking spaces are a courtesy provided by the supermarket for their customers. They locate them wherever they see fit.
    Of course non parents are free to park in them without any legal penalty, unlike disabled parking spaces.
    Not going to quote jessepinkmans long posts, but I did lol.

I am going to email the Supermarket to ask the question but I thought I would see what other's opinion was too.
    I understand that there is no legal penalty for using these spaces but that doesn't mean you don't receive atrocious verbal abuse if parking there without children but with a blue disabled badge because the disabled spaces are full.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adam1968uk wrote: »
    It's probably so small children don't have to walk too far through a car park with cars coming from all directions. Safety first. Obvious really. Don't need to be Einstein to work that one out.

Stop talking sense. People are trying to have a good old rant about nothing on here, do you mind?
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to email the Supermarket to ask the question but I thought I would see what other's opinion was too.
    I understand that there is no legal penalty for using these spaces but that doesn't mean you don't receive atrocious verbal abuse if parking there without children but with a blue disabled badge because the disabled spaces are full.

There is no legal penalty in any private non council ran parking. However they can attempt to "fine" you (although as a private company have no jurisdiction to fine) they invoice you and can try to take you to the county court, but are often unsuccessful (they rarely do anyway) and usually rely on people paying out of fear.

However the supermarket are within their rights to ban you from coming on to their property in future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I couldn't care less who gets the right to park closest to the door. Im not a parent but it does make sense that little kids dont have to walk past loads of cars. How many times have we walked past parked cars and nearly been hit by someone not looking properly.

But to the OP how do you decide who should park closest to the doors. Why does one person have more of a right than another?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Not everyone who is disabled has difficulty walking. Many are as able bodied as anyone else so I don't see why only the disabled bays should be right at the front. There should be a mix of disabled and parent and parking bays closest to the entrance.
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some ordinary spaces closer than some disabled spaces in our local Morrison's...

Might be worth a thread OP?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    Gillfawley wrote: »
    Parents with little kids spend a fortune in supermarkets. It's a marketing ploy, simples.

Exactly what I was inferring. :)
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think every chav in existence drops out as many as they can as soon as they can? KERRRRRRCHING!

It's a lot to go through for a parking space.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mother with small children, possibly a buggy and cars reversing and driving with less regard than usual , so it's not surprising really. I have seen more bad driving in supermarket car parks than anywhere else. I've twice been nearly knocked down by idiots reversing out of spaces, once I had to thump the boot of the car really loudly. Small children are difficult to see at the best of times.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These threads always make me laugh with the hysteria they bring out in some FMs,

It's a parking space not life or death and the fact that parents may be marginally advantaged by them does not bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These threads always make me laugh with the hysteria they bring out in some FMs,

It's a parking space not life or death and the fact that parents may be marginally advantaged by them does not bother me in the slightest.

Agree. When mine was small, I used them if one was free but it wasn't a huge deal. Now she's older, I really don't begrudge anyone else who needs them just that little something that might make their life a tiny bit easer and don't get why some get so outraged by something that really doesn't affect them one iota
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    For people who get stressed out by supermarket car park arrangements, may I suggest online shopping?

Then you wouldn't need to worry about who parks where
  • Options
    Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vixcamp wrote: »
    I couldn't care less who gets the right to park closest to the door. Im not a parent but it does make sense that little kids dont have to walk past loads of cars. How many times have we walked past parked cars and nearly been hit by someone not looking properly.

But to the OP how do you decide who should park closest to the doors. Why does one person have more of a right than another?

Perhaps if every step you took was agony or left you struggling for breath, you may want to park near to the entrance?

Disabled people who have difficulty in walking any distance - sometimes the reason isn't physically obvious - can apply for and be awarded a blue badge to enable them to park in places that others are not entitled, double yellow lines for example. Therefore it makes sense for supermarkets and the like to make spaces available for these badge holding customers that are close to their entrance, showing support for the scheme if nothing else.

'Little kids' will have to walk past lots of cars in situations other than a car park (the high street for example) and it is sensible to teach them road safety from a very early age.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a "who's right and who's wrong?" stuation, I just wondered why parents and their children NEED to park near to the entrance.