Options

Sunday night 90's dread

Comments

• Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I'm sure there were a few shows which gave me that feeling of dread but the only one I can remember right now is Heartbeat.

I remember watching Heartbeat on the sofa with my mum, with my slippers and dressing gown on after having washed my hair, on a Sunday evening. It was on about 7 or 8pm, wasn't it? ITV (well just ITV as there was only the one ITV channel then). I remember sometimes I got a bit uncomfortable with some episodes as I could tell the older person was going to die lol how much of a sap does that make me, its not as if Heartbeat was ever going to be the grittiest of urban dramas somehow!. I'd laugh at Greengrass' hijinx though :D when I sat down to watch that show, I knew going back to school was just around the corner, so that was a bit depressing, yes :cry:
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minder and Boon were always weeknight shows on ITV.
    It tended to be stuff such as 'Heartbeat' or 'London's burning' in the Sunday schedule together with quizzes and The South Bank Show in the post news slot.

I can't remember what Channel 4 showed in competition...........:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    Minder and Boon were always weeknight shows on ITV.
    It tended to be stuff such as 'Heartbeat' or 'London's burning' in the Sunday schedule together with quizzes and The South Bank Show in the post news slot.

I can't remember what Channel 4 showed in competition...........:confused:

I remember London's Burning. John Alford was eye candy for the girls back then, I seem to remember? if thats the right name...someone Alford anyway :confused: used to be in Look In magazine, until that folded around 1995-ish.

ETA - did ITV not sometimes have the Freddie Starr show or/and Michael Barrymore on some Sunday evenings? I can picture the comedy show but im not 100% which comedian it was hosting it. It was like a mix of a chat show and a variety show and he'd always run into the audience and poke fun at them :( around early 1990s?.
  • Options
    sominsomin Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I remember looking forward to things like Gladiators, Beadle's About, and Blind Date on a Saturday night. Was Birds of a Feather ever shown on Sunday nights? When it was revived recently that theme music immediately made me think "bed time!" and "school tomorrow"...
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michael Barrymore was constantly on ITV in the 90s and for some reason which always escaped me seemed very popular with the audience.:confused:
    I always considered him to be nothing more than a well paid bully.>:(

It was very significant that when the channel marked 50 years in 2005 he had been completely air brushed out of the 'highlights' package. The 'swimming pool' incident fatally damaged his reputation and will always be a factor.:(
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last of the a Summer Wine
    The Darling Buds of May (I can remember watching that with soaking wet hair after my bath)
    Heartbeat
    London's Burning
    Where the Heart Is
    Ballykissangel

Urghhhh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    somin wrote: »
    Yes I remember looking forward to things like Gladiators, Beadle's About, and Blind Date on a Saturday night. Was Birds of a Feather ever shown on Sunday nights? When it was revived recently that theme music immediately made me think "bed time!" and "school tomorrow"...

'Watch out, Beadles about. You better watch ouuuttt 'cause Beadle's aboouuuutttt' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Darling Buds of May (I can remember watching that with soaking wet hair after my bath)
    Heartbeat
    London's Burning
    Where the Heart Is
    Ballykissangel

Urghhhh.

My dad used to call that last one Ballykissarse lol. There was one called Hamish McBeth or similar as well, I think?.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,323
    Forum Member
    Heartbeat
    London's Burning
    Where the Heart Is
    Ballykissangel

Urghhhh.

London's Burning was one of the shows I looked forward to on a Sunday night. The last couple of series weren't great though, but I miss a series like that for Sunday nights (when it was good :D).
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember The Golden Girls on a Friday night at 10 with Whose Line and/or Absolutely at about 10.30pm. I loved C4 in those days!

I remember Sunday nights being things like Howard's Way and The House of Eliott and later in the evening Spitting Image, The New Statesman, Clive James on TV.

And like a few others here I get the Sunday dread despite it being work on Monday and not school!

I keep forgetting to mention Spitting Image yet there was a documentary on it on BBC 4 this week :o:D

Apologies to all - for any confusion its so weird thinking all this now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:1990s_British_television_series&pagefrom=Thames+News#mw-pages - not sure if this page may help but it gives an idea what we watched in the 90's but Sundays I thought were boring just Spitting Image I watched and the odd London's Burning (its also trying to work out also what was in the schedule back then)

Just stumbled onto this site as well http://www.doyouremember.co.uk
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,323
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    I keep forgetting to mention Spitting Image yet there was a documentary on it on BBC 4 this week :o:D

Apologies to all - for any confusion its so weird thinking all this now

It's ok :) I've been thinking of Sunday tv from the 80's as well even though the op said the 90's. It was all a long time ago :(
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The theme tune to "Thats Life" still fills me with dread to this day. Im instantly transported back to being a little boy having tea and toast before I went to bed with that feeling of monday dread ever present.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Sunday night dread has started :o

I'm off to pub, will come back and watch Jonathan creek on Drama at 10pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's ok :) I've been thinking of Sunday tv from the 80's as well even though the op said the 90's. It was all a long time ago :(

I rather be transported back to the 90's as most TV of today is boring (Don't mind repeats of 90's/80's and some 00's programming but its that bad..)

another one to Sunday - Keeping Up Appearances - was that a sunday programme during the day?? I never watched them first time round until I seen it on GOLD :D

Channel 4 - Football Italia/Wonder Woman (Wonder Woman - I am sure it aired on Sundays)

ITV - Dr Finlay Medicine Woman(?)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    There was one called Hamish McBeth or similar as well, I think?.

Which starred Robert Carlyle as an easy-going policeman in the Scottish Highlands

Wasn't Monarch Of The Glen usually shown on a Sunday evening?
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thread. Quite touching to see who had that Sunday night dread as kids. I loved school so Sunday nights were ok but hate them now as an adult. The ominous beginning of the working week looms...

Sundays were Hart to Hart then years later boring dramas (to me as a kid) such as Heartbeat. I remember the Muppet show on Sundays.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "Heartbeat" theme gives me shudders to this day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Which starred Robert Carlyle as an easy-going policeman in the Scottish Highlands

Wasn't Monarch Of The Glen usually shown on a Sunday evening?

That's the one :)
    AcerBen wrote: »
    The "Heartbeat" theme gives me shudders to this day.

I seem to remember an actress by the name of Niamh (just looked on Google - Niamh Cusack?) replaced someone else as Nick Berrys onscreen wife in the show and when I saw the name appear on the title screen the first time, I was baffled how you pronounced it, so I learnt something new that day lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »

I seem to remember an actress by the name of Niamh (just looked on Google - Niamh Cusack?) replaced someone else as Nick Berrys onscreen wife in the show and when I saw the name appear on the title screen the first time, I was baffled how you pronounced it, so I learnt something new that day lol.

Niamh Cusack played Nick Berry's wife Kate Rowan from Series 1 Episode 1 up until Series 5 when the character was killed off.Nick Berry's character later met another woman and remarried. But Niamh Cusack never replaced anyone, she was the original actress to play his wife
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday afternoons on Border television, if Bullseye wasn't on, were just Scottish football, cloying imported shows and Cilla Black.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    somin wrote: »

I'm fairly sure it was. It was never my favourite comedy and even now I associate it with school in the morning.

Add Cilla on Surprise, Surprise to the list. I always hated that programme and haven't gone near the new version!

I've always though Sunday nights would be a good time for football local derbies (so not too far for fans to travel if they've got work in the morning). Pick the Premier League fixture with the least travelling distance and put it on Sky/BT on a Sunday night. I know there would be policing issues, though.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Bullseye
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Later on the standard picked up as you had dramas like Band of Gold and House of Cards, but between 2 and 7, the programmes were often dire, especially when Border decided to schedule the Coronation St omnibus opposite the Eastenders omnibus.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunday night dread for me started after Spitting Image, The New Statesmen and Hot Metal finished. There used to be some comedy sitcom on Sunday night and after that it was bedtime! :(