Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect George is a deserter.

How do we know he's really injured?

Why wouldn't he be ?

My Grandfather was injured 3 times. On the second occasion my grandmother was told he was missing. She was on the point of having to move house when he walked in.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 31,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed last night's - choc full of content. I find the characters believable; Mr. Crabb, bless him having been there years and a bit world weary, he has such dry and measured delivery. Last night when everyone was flying around getting the Palm Court jazzed and themed up ....."I do find rampant innovation rather trying!" :D
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he be ?

My Grandfather was injured 3 times. On the second occasion my grandmother was told he was missing. She was on the point of having to move house when he walked in.

Sometimes very small things in an actors performance will give you a clue as to whether the character has something to hide. He didn't seem as 'open' as you would expect. I agree it could be the trauma of war- but in tv land things are seldom straightforward.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode.

Two favourite scenes:

Mae facing off against Delphine and winning without even trying (God I've come to love her) and Miss Mardle telling that tw*t Mr Grove to shove it in the most dignified way I've ever scene.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes very small things in an actors performance will give you a clue as to whether the character has something to hide. He didn't seem as 'open' as you would expect. I agree it could be the trauma of war- but in tv land things are seldom straightforward.

It would have been good to hear what had happened and how he got injured.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    Miss Mardle telling that tw*t Mr Grove to shove it in the most dignified way I've ever scene.

Grove is so jealous - he has obviously got bored with his uncomplicated wife and wants Miss Mardle back. After he announced news of his son's birth, he was just about to apologise to her for what he said in his office but she didn't give him a chance and instead congratulated him then walked off.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grove is so jealous - he has obviously got bored with his uncomplicated wife and wants Miss Mardle back. After he announced news of his son's birth, he was just about to apologise to her for what he said in his office but she didn't give him a chance and instead congratulated him then walked off.

Mr Grove is the kind of d*ckhead who grows bored with whoever he is with. He got bored with his first wife and cheated on her. Then he grew bored with Miss Mardle and decided he wanted someone younger - no doubt because he enjoyed having a younger woman all starry eyed over him.

Now he's got 4 children and he's bored with his older wife (and with his stressed, mundane life) - I expect a big part of that he because he is no longer the centre of his wife's attention. And now he sees Miss Mardle getting everything he wants - money, independence, the freedom to fall in love. He's jealous alright - and the only person he really cares about is himself.

I loath the man and I'm cheering for Miss Mardle all the way. I hope she doesn't let what he said influence her. She's clearly having second opinions.
  • Options
    bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I had a mini-marathon of the last three episodes tonight, to get caught up. All three were entertaining, overall. Not crazy about the whole spy vs, thief business, with Leclere, but mostly good. Glad Delphine got told off by Lady L and Harry. He was being naive about her, as men can be, IMO.

Hope Rose is not dying just as she decided to rebuild the marriage. i like her much more this season than last.

Grove is the type who doesn't want a woman anymore but does not want anyone else to have her. Maybe he will be happier now that he has his precious son and quit acting like life done him wrong. He made his choice.

Wondering if Agnes will hesitate about a quick wedding...also definitely suspicious about little brother George...did he show his wound to Agnes?

Hoping Loxley is brought down in worst possible way...
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im guessing its a self inflicted injury to get out of the war.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @kat180 - Yeah I don't like Grove at all either - nasty character.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I going mad - didnt Miss Mardle call Florian 'Lawrence' when they were in bed together? Did anyone else notice this?:kitty::kitty:
  • Options
    bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Im guessing its a self inflicted injury to get out of the war.

Very possible...kind of hope so, that would be most interesting I think. Wonder if Agnes would still fawn all over him...
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I going mad - didnt Miss Mardle call Florian 'Lawrence' when they were in bed together? Did anyone else notice this?:kitty::kitty:

No I did not notice
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bebecat wrote: »
    Hope Rose is not dying just as she decided to rebuild the marriage. i like her much more this season than last.

I suspect she is .......................
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Yes! take that Lord Loxley, you bounder!

:D
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victor :cry:
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What exactly has Rose got - TB?
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member

That was quite popular at the time.
    So it's either that or lung cancer.

Strange that they didn't name it.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I appreciate that the drama was "based" on the Selfridge family, but I don't like the fact that Rose's demise was changed drastically from what happened in real life: she died of Spanish 'flu in 1918. She did not have TB, nor any other lung condition prior to 1918.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder if she will be around in the next series or Harry will be a widdower.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member

I don't think they did in those days, even when I was young cancer was referred to as the big 'C'.
    I have to say I did not enjoy the first series too much, but I have really gotten into the second and I really enjoyed this last episode....
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They probably didn't have the nerve, as it's entirely fictitious! I wonder if any of the Selfridge descendants are still around to watch this load of old tripe being peddled about their family.
  • Options
    Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She died in the influenza pandemic of 1918
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    I appreciate that the drama was "based" on the Selfridge family, but I don't like the fact that Rose's demise was changed drastically from what happened in real life: she died of Spanish 'flu in 1918.

They've totally lost me now, it is nothing more than a soap.

Shame as his life and legacy was interesting enough without the excessive sexploits.

He was a gambler but didn't go off the rails until his beloved wife died.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She died in the influenza pandemic of 1918
    k9fan wrote: »
    I appreciate that the drama was "based" on the Selfridge family, but I don't like the fact that Rose's demise was changed drastically from what happened in real life: she died of Spanish 'flu in 1918. She did not have TB, nor any other lung condition prior to 1918.

Indeed.
    In this case, I think that ITV is wrong to change the death of a character in a programme.