Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Sadly no, all news reports are stating there were no survivors :(

I said bodies I don't expect them to be alive! Unless of cpurse a miracle has happened!
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    I think the poster mean dead bodies rather than alive, Or that is how i read it

So sorry, many apologies Luckylegs.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they died quick deaths. Still a horrible way to go - for at least a few minutes you know you're going to die.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Turned back to make an emergency landing, but as hypoxia set in confused decisions were made by the pilot(s), watch the video below to see how hypoxia effects a person, it basically makes you drunk, euphoric, you start making wrong calculations, in this case Michael Portillo wouldn't put back on the oxygen supply to save his own life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEJKvbpOF0

That, for me, puts a different perspective on things.

I realise that a number of posters were going on about hypoxia but to actually see the effects brings it home.

I seriously doubted the fire theory but, looking at that, I can now understand the erratic behaviour.
  • Options
    ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this was a case of hypoxia then I imagine there will be a great many of them who will have succumbed without realising. How many air passengers sit with their seatbelts on after the light goes out?

I truly hope their bodies are found. If the passengers were aware of a problem, they may have strapped themselves back in.

I believe the body of the plane will be found, I don't think this investigation will finish until they find every bit of that plane that is able to be found. I think this tragedy has hit all these countries very hard emotionally & they will want to give the families complete closure

Can they retrieve it from the bottom of the ocean?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I'm still so confused. All these confirmations, yet have they pulled anything out of the water? :confused:

Nothing, neither to the best of my knowledge have they positively identified anything first hand from the search parties in the area as being from the aircraft. It is all satellite based evidence this decision is apparently being made on.

Even though it is likely correct, it does still surprise me that they are willing to be so definite at this stage. But then I tend to look for signs of hope in even the most desperate of circumstances.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Turned back to make an emergency landing, but as hypoxia set in confused decisions were made by the pilot(s), watch the video below to see how hypoxia effects a person, it basically makes you drunk, euphoric, you start making wrong calculations, in this case Michael Portillo wouldn't put back on the oxygen supply to save his own life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEJKvbpOF0

This is the more likely outcome to me.

I remember watching a documentary on a squadron of American Fighter pilots that disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle in the 1940's I beleive.

The theory is that they started to disbelieve their instruments and flew out to sea until their fuel run out.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure, the Titanic was never raised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Even though it is likely correct, it does still surprise me that they are willing to be so definite at this stage. But then I tend to look for signs of hope in even the most desperate of circumstances.

It's better they do this than the Malaysian government's ill-advised #PrayForMH370 which was the definition of false hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I hope they died quick deaths. Still a horrible way to go - for at least a few minutes you know you're going to die.

If it was hypoxia then, like hypothermia, they would have been dying and couldn't care less.

I doubt there's a 'good' way to die but, if the fire/hypoxia theory holds true, then they wouldn't have known anything about it.

Small mercies I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they need to have concrete evidence, until then it's still all speculative.

I doubt they will be able to retrieve anything from the bottom of the ocean.

I also think there are many military mappers out there that know more than we're allowed to know.
  • Options
    lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's better they do this than the Malaysian government's ill-advised #PrayForMH370 which was the definition of false hope.

I think your right, the way this story has gone has meant the families have went from despair to hope and back again. I think for their sake its best to be realistic, sad as it is.:(:(
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I honestly don't know. I hope they have ships that can do this. There are many hugely knowledgeable people on this thread & I'm sure one of them can give you an answer.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No matter how deep this is they will retrieve it as they have to find out what went wrong. Also of course they have the technology available if at a great depth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    luckylegs wrote: »
    Is there anyone here think there is any chance of recovering any bodies from Indian/Southern Ocean.

Chance, yes.

How much of one is another matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by Semierotic

oh my gosh,what is wrong with people, hope is everything. And when the pray for came into effect it's all they had, hope. Would you presume all dead from the get go, or hope for the best whilst fearing the worst?

I think people are too quick to need bad. All is lost if one has no hope.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    LOL where i live you don't need flight tracker for military.....just prepare for a heart 'do' as some military jet goes screaming past as i live under a military flight training corridor. Even had lumbering C130's passing by on the odd occasion but they aren't so bad.

Having been 'buzzed' by Tornadoes in the past, I know what you mean;-) At least the speed gives you a chance to cover your ears before the sound catches up with what you're seeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by Semierotic

oh my gosh,what is wrong with people, hope is everything..

Not when it's false. As that patently was. Sometimes it takes strength to admit the obvious and deal with it, though I admit the media circus made that incredibly hard for the families.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter how deep this is they will retrieve it as they have to find out what went wrong. Also of course they have the technology available if at a great depth.

I hope for the families they can get full closure if the plane is really at the bottom of the sea.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it wasn't but a lot of bodies were because they had cork life vests on. If the plane ditched and people weren't already dead and managed to get out and inflate their vests then there is a chance to get bodies, I guess. Also, if they are trapped in floating wreckage.

They don't even need to have inflated life vests, as bodies were recovered from Air France 447 so it is possible.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope for the families they can get full closure if the plane is really at the bottom of the sea.
    ROV's reached the bottom of the Mariana Trench in the 90's......the deepest known seabed at 6.5 miles. Where MH370 is will be nothing like that kind of depth though they may well have to use ROV's to bring the bits up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not when it's false. As that patently was. Sometimes it takes strength to admit the obvious and deal with it, though I admit the media circus made that incredibly hard for the families.

Well I firmly disagree, until you know the plane and all the people on board are sunk, crashed etc. You have hope and I think inspiring hope and uniting people in hope is much better and realistic than instantly presuming the worst.

I also think the fool on BBC News right now speculating that it was the flight crew who did this should keep his mouth shut, he has no evidence of this.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Interesting interview with a guy from INMARSAT on CNN.

In a nutshell (and purely based on my understanding of what he said) ... having determined that the plane must have followed one of two arcs (the northern and southern one) based on the "pings" received by their satellite, they did further analysis which included making painstaking comparisons with other flights in order to determine a pattern. From that they were able to discount the northern arc, and therefore determined that the aircraft must have headed south. As a result, it must have ended up in the southern Indian Ocean. Their results were then peer-reviewed by others in the Aerospace industry, including Boeing themselves.

The guy also said that a system which could accurately track all commercial flights could be "introduced tomorrow" using existing technology.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL where i live you don't need flight tracker for military.....just prepare for a heart 'do' as some military jet goes screaming past as i live under a military flight training corridor. Even had lumbering C130's passing by on the odd occasion but they aren't so bad.
    Having been 'buzzed' by Tornadoes in the past, I know what you mean;-) At least the speed gives you a chance to cover your ears before the sound catches up with what you're seeing.

I seem to live under an occasional military flight path too...it's great.

In the summer we frequently get Chinooks low flying over our fields & houses & all year round we get the jets flying at low altitudes. Last week we had a combination of helicopters & jets. It was very noisy indeed! I love military jets though & rush out & try to spot them if it's during the day. Strangely we also get the Red Arrows fairly often during the summer. I guess that's because I'm only around 15 miles from Duxford so we sometimes see the Hercules & Spitfires fly over too during airshows.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://news.sky.com/story/1231076/relatives-scream-as-they-are-told-news-by-text

^^^ Watching this is heartbreaking :( these families will probably never recover from their loss
This discussion has been closed.