Options

The Jane Danson/Leanne Barlow appreciation thread

Comments

• Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the way Leanne's little scoff at Peter and Carla was not malicious, just worldly wise and knowing.
    She was seeing what she knew and they didn't all along, that for Peter and Carla as a couple there never would have been a happy ever after. Their relationship has been fantasy and a heated romance of the kind that fizzles out when nature has taken its course. Aww!

I don't get what's supposed to be happening between Leanne and Nick at all, she seems so resigned suddenly to the fact they are over and yet, poor Nick, he looks so needy and soppy in a way that I don't know how Leanne couldn't have some maternal feelings for him, even if the romance has faded.
    I think she'll be able to move on for real from now on in and they really have no rhyme or reason to make her miserable and depressed any longer. She has such a charming sense of humour and i am positive Kal will bring this out to the fore in her again. I like him a lot, he has some of the qualities that people onlythink Mr. Barlow has. He will become a bigger character in due course too, mark my words,lol.
    I don't believe they have another single female in the show who is as identifiable as a real person as Leanne. She has always allowed us to really live all her heartaches and she's the only one who truly bares her soul. It's about time they realised her value and have to say the fact that she wasn't nominated to be the best actress really grinds our face in just how shallow and what a fiasco the whole soap entertainment industry has become as a whole.
  • Options
    Gunner DLGunner DL Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=AndreaMC;71791115
    I don't believe they have another single female in the show who is as identifiable as a real person as Leanne. She has always allowed us to really live all her heartaches and she's the only one who truly bares her soul. It's about time they realised her value and have to say the fact that she wasn't nominated to be the best actress really grinds our face in just how shallow and what a fiasco the whole soap entertainment industry has become as a whole.[/QUOTE]

BIB: I meant to say earlier that yes, it's a real shame that Jane hasn't been nominated. Sadly, Leanne didn't feature in many high-profile story lines last year, and I think these awards are always tied to profile. Even though we had some fine Leanne scenes, and Jane is always a consistently good performer, she didn't really have as much material to work with as she has had in previous years.

ETA: The reveal of Nick's one-night stand should have been quite high profile, but frittered into not much at all in the end.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »

Gaaaah! Just hurry up and get together!! :D
    Gunner DL wrote: »
    Apart from all the other annoying tosh in last night's ep (Note to Fiz – people deal with grief in all sorts of different ways, so please leave Roy alone with his lovely trains!) it was so nice to see that Leanne was happy throughout the episode.

Sorry, but if it's not a Fiz Stape approved form of grieving then Royston isn't allowed to do it >:(
    I did find it a tad strange that there was no awkwardness in the scene where she was talking to Nick and Kal. Not because of Kal's interest in Leanne, but because it was almost like Nick and Leanne had forgotten about the pain of their broken marriage? Granted, they had that little scene later where Nick asked Leanne if she and SImon could come to dinner, but it was almost too friendly for me. Unless it was just the extension of their rational realisation that their marriage is over? :confused:

It was a weird vibe, but there was something in the Bistro scene that jumped out at me; Andrea's touched upon it here....
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    poor Nick, he looks so needy and soppy in a way that I don't know how Leanne couldn't have some maternal feelings for him, even if the romance has faded.

Nick was very child-like last night. The way he followed Leanne around the Bistro and the "I did 10 miles today!" just sounded like a little boy trying to impress his parent. It was like he was expecting a huge "Oh wow! Well done, Nick!" from Leanne, or a gold star or something. Also when Leanne said yes to her and Simon going round for dinner, he was all happy like a child would be when they've got a friend coming over after school; It was as if he was saying to Kal "Dad! Dad! Leanne's coming round for tea!" I actually felt really sorry for him.

It makes the whole 'giving the green light' quite sad though. I still think he'll change his mind about that once it actually happens; in fact, it may trigger another flare up of Angry Nick for a while.
    I think she'll be able to move on for real from now on in and they really have no rhyme or reason to make her miserable and depressed any longer. She has such a charming sense of humour and i am positive Kal will bring this out to the fore in her again

BIB - Exactly. She's moved on from Peter so there won't be any more of her scowling at P&C and making venomous gibes every chance she gets. The comment she made last night wasn't fuelled by anger or resentment, it was more of a "Thank God I'm not involved with them anymore".
    She's also not playing nurse to Nick anymore and having to deal with the pressure of his mood swings so there's no reason for her to snap at anyone out of frustration or exhaustion

Kal, so far, comes across as an upbeat, laid-back positive person and that's just what Leanne is well overdue. Even that very brief scene last night of them chatting about the gym poster (?) showed what a great change it was to see Leanne happy and having a laugh.
    BIB: I meant to say earlier that yes, it's a real shame that Jane hasn't been nominated. Sadly, Leanne didn't feature in many high-profile story lines last year, and I think these awards are always tied to profile. Even though we had some fine Leanne scenes, and Jane is always a consistently good performer, she didn't really have as much material to work with as she has had in previous years.

ETA: The reveal of Nick's one-night stand should have been quite high profile, but frittered into not much at all in the end.

I think after the huge love-square saga, Leanne was in need of a good rest once the two couples went their separate ways. But the fact that nothing seemed to be on the horizon, plus JD not even sure where she was going, started to worry me a bit. However, now that this Kal stuff is happening, hopefully we'll see a proper direction for her.

I think we all know how much of a damp squib that ONS reveal was >:( Such a missed opportunity to acknowledge the (extremely relevant) past! It's times like that when I want to give the writers a collective slap!
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 8357: Friday 4 April at 7.30pm

Is Peter’s world about to fall apart?
    Nick asks Kal an awkward question.
    And Anna decides to summon Valerie.

Episode 8358: Friday 4 April at 8.30pm

Will Tina accept Peter’s decision?
    Leanne and Kal discuss Nick’s suspicions.
    And Valerie makes it clear whose side she’s on

I assume the awkward question will be Nick asking Kal if he's interested in Leanne?
    Maybe there's a similar scenario like there was with Stella the other night; Nick sees Leanne and Kal together and senses a spark?
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »

I assume the awkward question will be Nick asking Kal if he's interested in Leanne?
    Maybe there's a similar scenario like there was with Stella the other night; Nick sees Leanne and Kal together and senses a spark?

Yeah I think Nick might notice some chemistry between them or he might see them together and assume something is going on ?? Or he could be asking Kal if he fancy's Leanne??

I just wish Nick would go away!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

An awkward question, eh? "You shag my wife, mate?" ;-)
    Really interested to see if Leanne will change her mind quite quickly or if they'll play the long game. And how much Nick will come into play. It might be a bit out of order if Leanne and Kal hadn't treaded quite carefully with his feelings, so I'm quite glad there will be a bit of discussion.
    GracieL wrote: »
    Yeah I think Nick might notice some chemistry between them or he might see them together and assume something is going on ?? Or he could be asking Kal if he fancy's Leanne??

I just wish Nick would go away!

We'll see what happens.

I've had a rotten cold all week so hoping that tonight's Corrie double will be good and set me on the road to recovery. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you are better soon.

I noticed Kal and Leanne looking at each other.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, feel better soon, Gunner! :)

It's finally begun!!! *squeals* :D

I'll definitely have to re-watch those Kal/Leanne scenes because I had to pop out of the room for food *roll eyes*

But it seems pretty obvious that Nick giving Leanne his blessing will last for about two seconds. The way he was gushing about finding 'the one' and keeping hold of them made it clear that he wants to be reunited with Leanne. I did laugh at the way she just didn't respond to any of what he was saying though :blush:

Leanne loves Nick but, as she said tonight, not the way she used to. I feel that the Nick/Leanne chapter should stay closed now; Nick will never be like he was and that's the reason they can't be together.
    I am glad that the pair of them immediately acknowledged that it'd be crappy for Nick if they got together - there isn't any malice or lack of feeling from either of them. We know it's going to happen though, so :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. :) I hurt myself laughing at the Peter/Tina 'little ache/indigestion' exchange and had to get cough syrup afterwards! :D

I liked the Kal/Leanne exchanges. I thought it was all very rational and caring that they went through all the reasons that it wouldn't be a good idea, which was then countered by their being depressed that it was a bit of a sad situation.

Quite sweet that he touched her cheek like that – not too full-on! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, whoohoo! Loved tonight, wasn't it the biz? And the way Kal tucked Leanne's hair behind her ear, how cute was that?:)
    I am guessing (touch wood ) it's going to be a slow build romance, with probly a lot of setbacks, but they are going to get there!
    He's lovely too, sexy as well! I am going to say a prayer that they become a solid couple and go on to have a lovely, albeit, fictional, happy ever after.
    And my God does Leanne deserve it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. :) I hurt myself laughing at the Peter/Tina 'little ache/indigestion' exchange and had to get cough syrup afterwards! :D

I liked the Kal/Leanne exchanges. I thought it was all very rational and caring that they went through all the reasons that it wouldn't be a good idea, which was then countered by their being depressed that it was a bit of a sad situation.

Quite sweet that he touched her cheek like that – not too full-on!
    :)
    Hey everyone, whoohoo! Loved tonight, wasn't it the biz? And the way Kal tucked Leanne's hair behind her ear, how cute was that?:)
    I am guessing (touch wood ) it's going to be a slow build romance, with probly a lot of setbacks, but they are going to get there!
    He's lovely too, sexy as well! I am going to say a prayer that they become a solid couple and go on to have a lovely, albeit, fictional, happy ever after.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I loved the Rovers scene where Kal was dancing around the issue with the whole "Well, if I'm interested in X, but if I'm not able to have them then I don't want to settle for someone else". :)
    Quite sweet that he touched her cheek like that – not too full-on! :)

I thought the exact same thing! I was worried that there may have been a surprise kiss, but instead they struck the right balance affection-wise :)

I hope it's not too slow!! Stella leaves on April 4th (I think) and we know she leaves for Leanne to get it on with Kal :D so I imagine if anything's going to put a spanner in the works, it'll be Nick. I just hope there isn't going to be a load of repetitive scenes where Leanne and Kal are mooning over each other and have the one conversation about "How (they) can't do this to Nick". That's something that'd pee me off royally and, since it's SB at the helm, it could happen!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know exactly what you mean about the repetitive should we/shouldn't we, what about Nick? over and over again scenario that very possibly is going to occur, wouldn't that just be so tiresome? and yet so predictable sadly. I hate the way they try to drum things into the viewers heads as if we're all painfully slow learners and can't figure anything out with there almost being large signposts everywhere.>:(

Yes, while I agree, I can't wait to see them be happy together of course, I just would like to see them get to know each other properly for a change and then we can get really involved and fall for them too, just like we did for Leanne and Peter once!

I just hope that bag Carla won't start to have designs on him once Peter leaves. But somehow I think he's possibly the one for Leanne and not going to be led astray like a weak willed, insecure git like Peter Barlow.
  • Options
    smashboxsmashbox Posts: 4,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed tonight aswell, like what I see of Leanne and Kal so far =)
    Really wish Jane would grow her hair longer, I think it's too mumsy for her atm.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is the only storyline Blackburn has done well, which is putting Leanne and Kal together.

It's so nice to see Leanne caring about Nick and not wanting to hurt his feelings. I think Leanne will always care about Nick but just not love him they way she did with Peter, it would be great for Leanne just to have a friendship with Nick.

Lets hope Peter doesn't kick up a big stink about Leanne seeing someone new like he did when Leanne got together with Nick, but I'll think he'll have more important things to worry about.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you are better soon.

I noticed Kal and Leanne looking at each other.:)

Indeed, we saw a close-up of Leanne last thing on Friday. It made a nice change to see her more relaxed and happy then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, we saw a close-up of Leanne last thing on Friday. It made a nice change to see her more relaxed and happy then.

Yes, and it made a nice change for Jane, too, I expect.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope that bag Carla won't start to have designs on him once Peter leaves. But somehow I think he's possibly the one for Leanne and not going to be led astray like a weak willed, insecure git like Peter Barlow.

Kal doesn't come across as the cheating type, so that's a major plus for him. I'm just seriously hoping that Leanne's left her cheating habits firmly in the past. Peter's not an issue anymore and she's made her feelings for Nick clear so....
    smashbox wrote: »
    Enjoyed tonight aswell, like what I see of Leanne and Kal so far =)
    Really wish Jane would grow her hair longer, I think it's too mumsy for her atm.

I get what you mean about her hair :D
    GracieL wrote: »
    I think this is the only storyline Blackburn has done well, which is putting Leanne and Kal together.

Yes. SB's wrecking a lot of the show, but he's got it right with this.
    Lets hope Peter doesn't kick up a big stink about Leanne seeing someone new like he did when Leanne got together with Nick, but I'll think he'll have more important things to worry about.

Peter won't be giving a flying one, thankfully! He's too preoccupied with getting enough OJ. I never thought I'd end up hating Peter so much. Looking back on the P&L days, he's like a completely different character. CG is a cracking actor, no doubt about it, but the character is loathsome and I can't wait to see the back of him and St Ronseal.

I definitely agree with this. She's been wearing her tragedy mask for far too long, let's see some happiness for her!

Leanne and Eva moving in together is great! If no sisterly bond is created from this then I don't know what would make it happen!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal doesn't come across as the cheating type, so that's a major plus for him. I'm just seriously hoping that Leanne's left her cheating habits firmly in the past. Peter's not an issue anymore and she's made her feelings for Nick clear so....

I get what you mean about her hair :D

Yes. SB's wrecking a lot of the show, but he's got it right with this.

Peter won't be giving a flying one, thankfully! He's too preoccupied with getting enough OJ. I never thought I'd end up hating Peter so much. Looking back on the P&L days, he's like a completely different character. CG is a cracking actor, no doubt about it, but the character is loathsome and I can't wait to see the back of him and St Ronseal.

I definitely agree with this. She's been wearing her tragedy mask for far too long, let's see some happiness for her!

Leanne and Eva moving in together is great! If no sisterly bond is created from this then I don't know what would make it happen
    !

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I just wanted to let you know that I'd never do anything to hurt you." Well, that is a very good starting point, Kal. :)

The Leanne/Nick bits made me a bit sad. He's rather a lovesick puppy at the moment. I think she just can't go back now, even if he desperately wants to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so sad for Nick tonight as well, he was just lost. It always looks as though he has more affection and time for Simon than Simon's real father as well.
    i am very fond of Nick tbh but it's sad that he never showed more enthusiasm or spontaneity when he and Leanne where together all along. It seems strange how he's behaving in a way as he was the one who called it off with Leanne, even if he did feel distressed over the slap he gave her, he still made what seemed to be a logical decision that he believed would be best for everyone concerned.
    Actually come to think of it, it is one of the more truthful instances in Corrie at the moment. It's showing that love is something that you can't just turn off for a change, and that's positive,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:(