Options

96.2 Touch FM (Coventry) What's going on??

Comments

• Options
    NokiaNokiaNokiaNokia Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've effectively been off air for 3 days just for that... Yawn!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    How many stations would have 'Motorcycle Emptiness' as their first song a few years ago? Jack FM, but without the cost of the Jack franchise.

It's good that stations are doing the obvious thing and responding to the female focus of Heart / Smooth etc. by giving us some male-orientated stations. It increases choice which is the whole point of a competitive market.
  • Options
    Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NokiaNokia wrote: »
    They've effectively been off air for 3 days just for that... Yawn!

Utter madness, they could have easily had a switchover with back to back music yesterday afternoon and re-launched today. Mind you no surprise with the former GWR Mgt at the helm.
  • Options
    MidZoneMidZone Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Peace100 wrote: »
    Utter madness, they could have easily had a switchover with back to back music yesterday afternoon and re-launched today. Mind you no surprise with the former GWR Mgt at the helm.

A predictable relaunch, it's like being back in the 90's. Hideous website and logo too.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those of us who new something was happening today tuned back in out interest. What about all the listeners who just heard Queen on a loop and gave up completely? Madness. Sorry, Queen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep a typical Steve Orchard type re-launch.
  • Options
    tom_htom_h Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    From the Radio Today article - http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/03/quidems-oak-fm-and-touch-radio-seized/
    Chief executive Steve Orchard said: “Our future looks very bright indeed. Now more than ever, Coventry needs a radio station that caters exclusively for the City. Touch FM Coventry isn’t for the wider Warwickshire area and it’s not for the West Midlands.

So, why does it share most of its programs with Oak FM? Complete and utter crap. I don't understand why they can't merge all the Warwickshire 'Touch' stations. Would make so much more sense.

The website is awful, far too bright. I'm assuming it's going to have a 'male orientated' sound.. with the rubbish about it not growing up and one of the items in the schedule listed as 'The Skive. Thanks for listening - you dosser' as well as the guitar pick for a logo.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again i love that its so obvious ex GWR management run this station.

"Make the switch to the new 96.2 Touch FM"

Reminds me of some of the classic GWR sweepers.

"Make the switch to the new XXXX FM and win ... COLD .... HARD .... CASH"

"XXX Won £100 listening to the new XXXXX FM, XXX won £80 listening to the new XXXX FM, Derek won nothing listening to Radio 2. Don't be a Derek, make the switch to the new XXXX FM"
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tom_h wrote: »
    From the Radio Today article - http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/03/quidems-oak-fm-and-touch-radio-seized/

Chief executive Steve Orchard said: “Our future looks very bright indeed. Now more than ever, Coventry needs a radio station that caters exclusively for the City. Touch FM Coventry isn’t for the wider Warwickshire area and it’s not for the West Midlands.

So, why does it share most of its programs with Oak FM? Complete and utter crap.<snip>

That quote was from when they won the readvertised licence rather than about the relaunch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »

"XXX Won £100 listening to the new XXXXX FM, XXX won £80 listening to the new XXXX FM, Derek won nothing listening to Radio 2. Don't be a Derek, make the switch to the new XXXX FM"

"Have it written down, and we'll double DOUBLE d-d-d-doule it"
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,361
    Forum Member

Well, it's funny cos Oak FM just gave a teaser before the 11am news about how you could win £100 every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"I'm Jenny from the Touch FM sales team, and I've... oh no, hold on, let me start again; I'm Jenny from Coventry, and I've just made the switch to the all new 96.2 Touch FM".
  • Options
    mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predictable relaunch agreed but fair play to quidem... Music is spot on (been listening for half an hour) and kinda reminds me of an absolute/Kerrang style

No networking and finally something local to coventry that has been an issue for a couple of years.

Market it properly and Steve orchard could be on to a winner I feel
  • Options
    wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't they change the names though? Surely a name change would make selling the changes to the market a lot easier. To the casual observer its still Touch FM or Oak FM, so it could still be exactly the same product.
  • Options
    carlito_coolcarlito_cool Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    A few points on this...

1. My partner enjoyed listening to Oak FM in her car. She liked their mix of music, but I guarantee she doesn't like their new mix - how many other likeminded people will switch off?

2. "The New Oak FM" - I wasn't even aware a "new" version of the station was launching until I read this thread. So it hasn't been massively publicised to potential new listeners they'd hope to attract such as blokes in their 30's like me.

3. Oak FM has been stuck in it's old ways for years, it has it's reputation locally. Would the local blokeish mechanics be convinced to tune in because the music's changed? Maybe if they'd been told XXXX FM had just launched and is playing the Indie/Rock stuff they like, but to be told "Hey check out Oak FM" isn't going to work too well.

I wish the station luck with it's relaunch, and fair play for offering something alternative to the female-skewed playlists. I can't help but feel the guys in charge have been a bit narrowminded with this relaunch and choice of music though.

If your going to go with this genre of music, get plenty more stuff on like Oasis, Blur, Whitesnake, Arctic Monkeys and give it that really blokey feel.

Looking at the playlist this of what's been played today, I can't help but feel whoever is programming the music is straight out of the old Oak FM and considered what they feel to be the correct music rather than research the genres - I mean, The Rasmus was overplayed on CHR years ago to the point it's considered Pop. Kings of Leon's 2008 hits are too "Gem 106" these days.

Get more Brit Pop on if you want to attract a new audience. Look what's not served elsewhere and give it. Don't cop out with obvious choices like The Rasmus, Kings of Leon etc
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what makes this different from Star North East's short-lived rock phase under Robin Banks?
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd have been better sticking to a broader music mix and focussing their efforts on owning Coventry. Local is their only real USP and you can't widen your audience by focussing on a musical style or niche.
  • Options
    MidZoneMidZone Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Passengers wrote: »
    They'd have been better sticking to a broader music mix and focussing their efforts on owning Coventry. Local is their only real USP and you can't widen your audience by focussing on a musical style or niche.

Totally agree commercial suicide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Karma (networked programme after 7pm) is using 2 separate playlists for the various touch stations which is interesting.. I think it's a step in the right direction and it'll give free radio a run for it's money In coventry
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »

Owning a new music position is now the USP. Free and BBC C&W both go for 'local' anyway.
  • Options
    wilts_ianwilts_ian Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Dont Say Hello, Say 'The New xxxxxxxx is my Station', and you could win" :D
  • Options
    ex piratex pirat Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good but they could do with a brand new name ?
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bingethink wrote: »
    Owning a new music position is now the USP. Free and BBC C&W both go for 'local' anyway.

But is there enough audience to go niche?
  • Options
    simcksimck Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Anyone know the name of the male voice going the station imaging?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only day 2 and I've heard the likes of Arctic Monkeys Wheatus and Foo Fighters being played

If they market the product properly quidem can finally get a brand in coventry well done guys