Options

Disabled vs Parent & Child Parking

Comments

• Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people getting so worked up about parking close to the shop? Our local Tesco is in the top 5 biggest in the UK so as you can imagine the car park is pretty huge. Even when I've had to park right at the back it's added no more than a minute onto my trip. I couldn't care less where the spaces are because I'm not that lazy, as long as I can get a space with room at the side to open my door fully and get the car seat out then it's fine. As I said, I have had to pull out of a normal space before and stop in the road, reducing it to single file traffic to get a car seat in because there were no p&c spaces free. Not ideal and probably pissed off a load of people who were getting held up. The chances are, all that pissed-offness was caused by someone who was lazy and parked in a p&c space when they don't need it.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Why are people getting so worked up about parking close to the shop?

It's not about that as I can see. It's the usual indignance and resentment shown towards any person or demographic that is seen to be getting something the complainer is not. Happens all the time.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    It's not about that as I can see. It's the usual indignance and resentment shown towards any person or demographic that is seen to be getting something the complainer is not. Happens all the time.

And usually whether they actually want it or not.

Parent A has a baby in the cat and they're going to the local supermarket so they park in one of the wider bay spaces to make it easier to get their baby and car seat out of the car. The spaces happen to be closer to the shop entrance than many of the other spaces but that's largely irrelevant because they're using them due to them being wide, not close to the store.

Single Person B doesn't have children and resents the fact that those feckless breeders are allowed preferential treatment at the supermarket so through bloody-mindedness and sheer pig-headedness, they park there, because there's no legal requirement preventing them from doing so. The fact that there are multiple other spaces, some possibly 30m further away is irrelevant as far as they're concerned. "Why should someone else get something that isn't available to me. Hurrumphhh"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Exactly, That's why the childish insult/unable to debate comments make me laugh. I mean God forbid there is tolerance to families in the UK.Where does all this anger about such a small thing in life come from? I honestly believe that it is not the p&c parking itself, just a massive epidemic of Narcissism-me, me,me. There are comments about people with a disability never going out, try going out with small kids, people definitely are rude to them if they so much as murmur and would prefer them to be seen and not heard.On the whole, when out and about anywhere with families, it is unusual to see 'uncontrolled' kids let to run loose, if there are, they stick out, which means it can't be the norm. I am regularly with sister and my nephew who has autism, he makes noises, has meltdowns, all very much part of his condition, but the rudeness of people is astounding, people are aggressive, intolerant and don't think past themselves. They feel free to judge and express a very wrong opinion, from their own assumptions that my sister and her husband are crap parents, when actually they are truly dedicated.It stresses them out massively though, everytime they go out, shops is a big part of that,this attitude in Uk is shite.
    I live at the coast, in the Summer it's teeming with families, it's actually lovely to see families loving the seaside, the shops ,cafes etc, which will mean them using the supermarkets, p&C spaces and not even permanent residents-OMG. I better get down there and nick a spot, it's nearly Easter, they'll be here soon.

I felt stressed just reading that! Bless them, it must be so difficult as it is without ignorant tits passing judgement.

This reminds me, about a month ago my friend and I took our kids shopping. They are 8 months and 15 months and it was a bightmare, with my boy running riot and my friends little girl having a meltdown after being bitten by my oaf son. We were gettong dirty looks left, right and centre and were trying to get the job done as quick as possible when the 8 month old poked her tounge out at a lady. She looked shocked and said "how rude!" and flounced off...

Brb just gonna accuse newborns of giving me filthy looks
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    So much anger over something so insignificant.

Oh kippeh, the post you quoted from Jesse is bloody hilarious, it's made my morning reading that again, it is so funny. That poster, posted some of of the funniest rants on this thread that I've ever read on DS, definitely in my list of favourites.:)

Well, I have come to the end here I think,enough.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I assume you exist in the real world? You're not some forum bot generated from a futuristic box with flashing lights and a vaguely sexy female voice?

You have made the mistake of assuming I do not 'get it'. I 'get it'. I simply take a different view to you on it.

Correct, and I can happily reassure you that I have never, and probably would never park in P&C space at the back of the car park.

I don't resent it, because I don't allow it to stop me parking in them. My nose therefore is both petulance and rub free.

Correct

You're on a roll

Also correct, they are a matter of choice, and as such I can, and do, make the choice to extend those courtesies as I see fit

I feel quite fine already thank you, and quite comfortable in the many and varied choices I make for extending courtesy in the real world.

Having failed to convince me of your view it is interesting that you have switched to a strategy of trying to imply that I am incapable of courtesy in any situation. Interesting, but no more convincing.

Thank you for that you have answered in exactly the same way I would have done yesterday had I had the energy to do so. I read everything Trollhunter had written and simply couldn't be bothered responding. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I don't see why there needs to be a thread on this, disabled people require parking spaces, mother and children don't... unless they themselves have a disability
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why there needs to be a thread on this, disabled people require parking spaces, mother and children don't... unless they themselves have a disability

What about disabled parents with children under 5. Where should they park? I imagine someone, somewhere would still be enraged that they were allowed preferential treatment in a supermarket!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about disabled parents with children under 5. Where should they park? I imagine someone, somewhere would still be enraged that they were allowed preferential treatment in a supermarket!!

Re-read my post!!
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As has been pointed out multiple times ad nauseum on this thread:

The spaces are wider to assist parents in getting child seats and young children in and out without damaging other cars. They are just a tiny courtesy extended to parents to make their lives a tiny bit easier.

What are you struggling to understand about that?
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    As has been pointed out multiple times ad nauseum on this thread:

The spaces are wider to assist parents in getting child seats and young children in and out without damaging other cars. They are just a tiny courtesy extended to parents to make their lives a tiny bit easier.

What are you struggling to understand about that?

No one is struggling with understanding anything, they are simply taking a different view on the necessity of C&P spaces and their location.

Surely that is fairly obvious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do they *need* parking spaces?
    If they're in a wheelchair, it's slightly inconvenient though not impossible to wheel themselves or have someone push them from their parking space to the store.
    If they're incapacitated then they're not going to be able to get round the store in the first place so it's irrelevant where they park.
    If they're blind then they can still get themselves to the store from their parking space with the aid of their carer.
    If they're a driver with severe upper limb disabilities, that's still not preventing them from parking in any of the other spaces in the car park.

They don't NEED parking spaces but it makes things a whole lot easier if they're provided to them.
    Parents with small children don't NEED special parking bays but it certainly makes things a lot easier for them to get their kids in and out of the car. (The fact that they're closer to the store entrance isn't something the parent has any control over so instead of getting het up about the, direct your anger to the supermarket.)
    Childless drivers don't NEED wider parking bays but if they're inconsiderate and contemptuous of adults with children, they'll park in the spaces anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do they *need* parking spaces?
    If they're in a wheelchair, it's slightly inconvenient though not impossible to wheel themselves or have someone push them from their parking space to the store.
    If they're incapacitated then they're not going to be able to get round the store in the first place so it's irrelevant where they park.
    If they're blind then they can still get themselves to the store from their parking space with the aid of their carer.
    If they're a driver with severe upper limb disabilities, that's still not preventing them from parking in any of the other spaces in the car park.

They don't NEED parking spaces but it makes things a whole lot easier if they're provided to them.
    Parents with small children don't NEED special parking bays but it certainly makes things a lot easier for them to get their kids in and out of the car. (The fact that they're closer to the store entrance isn't something the parent has any control over so instead of getting het up about the, direct your anger to the supermarket.)
    Childless drivers don't NEED wider parking bays but if they're inconsiderate and contemptuous of adults with children, they'll park in the spaces anyway.

I don't have any anger, apologies if that's come across. My point was disabled parking IMO is necessary, where as Parent/child isn't a necessity, its just convenient.

Im not saying who should or shouldnt get spaces, I could really care less TBH cause I fortunately have neither a disability nor a toddler. It does irate when people like myself who have neither park in these spaces out of sheer laziness
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have any anger, apologies if that's come across. My point was disabled parking IMO is necessary, where as Parent/child isn't a necessity, its just convenient.
    Out of interest, why is a disabled space necessary rather than simply convenient?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Out of interest, why is a disabled space necessary rather than simply convenient?

Im in no position to answer that, what with not having any disability. I know many people do rely on them so Im not going to take that away from them. There is no need for an able bodied person to park there if there are ordinary spaces with a slightly further walk
  • Options
    hazy-dayshazy-days Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People really do get wound up over the strangest things.

Before I had children I don't think I ever gave the spaces much consideration, I certainly never parked in one. However they are an absolute God-send for those early months when you have to remove the seat from the car entirely. The spaces on the end of a row also work great if all the P&C spaces are taken. Our little one is 16 months and I've stopped using them as I find I can manage with the normal spaces now that she's more mobile and the seat doesn't need to come out too. We have a smallish car so that probably helps.

Maybe it's just the way you feel after having kids but I wouldn't begrudge anyone that little bit of convenience in those early months or even someone struggling getting toddlers in and out of a larger car. I do however think people look ridiculous parking in them and getting out with their teenagers.

I also have to say, like others have, I have never seen a supermarket with P&C spaces closer than disabled spaces.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do people who want the Parent and Child spaces moved to the back of the car park think would happen with these spaces once they aren't for parents with small children?

As they are usually close to the front I can guarantee they would become disabled parking spaces and not ''normal'' ones.

So people who park in P and C spaces with no need should be glad they exist as they look less like dicks parking in them then in disabled spaces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im in no position to answer that, what with not having any disability. I know many people do rely on them so Im not going to take that away from them. There is no need for an able bodied person to park there if there are ordinary spaces with a slightly further walk

Obviously people rely on them, that's a given, but do they NEED them?
    As for able-bodied people using them, playing devil's advocate here, why shouldn't they? They're close to the store entrance and the disabled drivers can always use one of the other spaces. If they need more room to get in/out of their car, they can always park at the end of a bay or further away where there are more spaces.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be spaces near entrance for us workers who keep country going but have to nip out to get our lunch but end up at back of car park. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As for able-bodied people using them, playing devil's advocate here, why shouldn't they? They're close to the store entrance and the disabled drivers can always use one of the other spaces. If they need more room to get in/out of their car, they can always park at the end of a bay or further away where there are more spaces.

Theres nothing to stop them, but it shows a lack of manners
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how the disabled need spaces near the entrance yet when you walk up town they seem to have managed to get there ok Strange. :confused:
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

The difference between a parent bringing their child to the supermarket and a disabled person bringing their disabilities to a supermarket is the degree of choice surely. A disabled person has very rarely chosen to become encumbered with a disability in the first place either.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I see that despite numerous attempts at making out there is something wrong with me, not one parent enabler has posted why they should have rights above everyone else on the grounds of their self-inflicted condition.

Smug parents with a misplace right to things just because they dropped one out.
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have kids but was recently in a car with my friend and her two daughters vying with another mum for a p and c space in my local tescos. I was scared :-) there is a lot of competition for those spaces.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    The difference between a parent bringing their child to the supermarket and a disabled person bringing their disabilities to a supermarket is the degree of choice surely. A disabled person has very rarely chosen to become encumbered with a disability in the first place either.

Exactly! They freely chose to get pregnant. Just why should that be put above anything?
    Don't like it? Don't get pregnant then! Your choice!

It's very insulting to disabled people having these bandwagon freeloaders considering themselves deserving of the same rights as someone who didn't choose their condition.