Options

Why do people still buy watches?

Ted_LeeTed_Lee Posts: 197
Forum Member
Aside from:

People who use sports watches in gym or running
People who use them during work i.e business men/women who attend meetings.

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Ted_Lee wrote: »
    Aside from:

Well, I'm going out on a limb here but a possible motivation might be that they want to know what the time is...
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To to tell the time.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never wore a watch even before I had a phone in my pocket at all times. Never saw the point. Fashion accessory I suppose
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wear necklace watches so I have loads to suit what I'm wearing. I can't guage time so need a watch.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wear a watch to tell me what time it is .I am hopeless at guessing it from the sun and shade
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,818
    Forum Member
    Aside from:

Agree with other posters - to tell the time.

But I'm intrigued why are the bands of people more (or less) likely to wear a watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have rarely worn a watch but my husband loves them. He uses his watch more for the time than any other device. I primarily use my phone/ a computer for the time.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,356
    Forum Member
    I never wore a watch even before I had a phone in my pocket at all times. Never saw the point. Fashion accessory I suppose

Yes, definitely a fashion accessory. Or wanting to know the time maybe. I wonder which is more likely.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I wear a watch to tell me what time it is .I am hopeless at guessing it from the sun and shade

:D

Also, the older the larger and more clear the hands and numbers need to be!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely a fashion accessory. Or wanting to know the time maybe. I wonder which is more likely.

95% of watch wearers have the time on their phone. It's like carrying a calculator with you at all times
  • Options
    Forum Member
    95% of watch wearers have the time on their phone. It's like carrying a calculator with you at all times

How did you get to that statistic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did you get to that statistic?

What percentage of people do you think own a mobile phone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What percentage of people do you think own a mobile phone?

I don't know, that's why I didn't quote a completely made up statistic.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Aside from:

It's quicker to look at a watch, then dig out your mobile from a pocket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, that's why I didn't quote a completely made up statistic.

Apparently 70% of people own a smartphone, can't be bothered to link it. Google it. With normal phones factored in, you're probably looking at over 90% surely

Which makes watches a fashion accessory for most
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Do you shoplift yours then?
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Stealing them is still considered bad form in most situations.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,945
    Forum Member
    Because they want to tell the time :confused:

I always wear a watch because it lets me know the time from a reliable source (I check and adjust if needed every few months), it's easier to look at my wrist than pull out my mobile (which is often not on me/near me), turn the mobile on/press a button to get it's display active...

Also depending on the watch they can look quite nice :)
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't worn a watch since my old Casio packed up nearly ten years ago. If I'm at home I'm surrounded by clocks or electrical devices showing the time, if I'm in the car, it has a clock and if I'm anywhere else I have the time on my mobile. Mostly, watches are ridiculous (and often expensive) fashion statements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apparently 70% of people own a smartphone, can't be bothered to link it. Google it. With normal phones factored in, you're probably looking at over 90% surely

Wow, you should be an accountant with that talent for numbers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must be someone who never attends meetings or is in situations where it's just unacceptable to turn your phone on to look at the time, whereas a sneaky look at your watch and you know instantly the time.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    It's quicker to look at a watch, then dig out your mobile from a pocket.

Indeed, and smartphone batteries are not the longest lasting, on medium to heavy usage you are lucky to get a day out of most, whereas you can get a few years out of a watch battery.

What good is your phone for telling the time when the battery has conked out?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could do with a watch

I've taken to early morning walks and I like to be back by specific times and maybe leave myself enough time to do my shopping on the way home

I carry a little clock in my pocket but a watch would be more convenient
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    You must be someone who never attends meetings or is in situations where it's just unacceptable to turn your phone on to look at the time, whereas a sneaky look at your watch and you know instantly the time.

I can't think of a single situation where I wouldn't look at my phone to check the time, no
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,945
    Forum Member

I wouldn't say that at all.

Phones, especially smart phones have terrible battery lives*, and require you to do something to activate the display, a watch just sits there working with a visible display all the time.

Not everyone wants to carry or use a phone with them all the time, and in some situations you're not allowed to have personal phones on you (or any phones at all).

*It amuses me that a battery that lasts a day is considered good for a lot of smart phones that get used a reasonable amount