Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XX (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    I noticed Bret Hart was at the Comedy Store here in Manchester last weekend...there is something I thought I would never say in the same sentence..Bret Hart/comedy!

Seen that clip of him on YouTube there..he was his usual cheerful self. Literally crying this time talking about how Hogan said that other wrestlers did not trust Bret.

Bret needs to really just chill out now in life and stop worrying about the past! He acts so depressed all the time now
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu64 wrote: »
    I noticed Bret Hart was at the Comedy Store here in Manchester last weekend...there is something I thought I would never say in the same sentence..Bret Hart/comedy!

Seen that clip of him on YouTube there..he was his usual cheerful self. Literally crying this time talking about how Hogan said that other wrestlers did not trust Bret.

Bret needs to really just chill out now in life and stop worrying about the past! He acts so depressed all the time now

He was at a hotel outside Belfast doing the same business over the weekend. Tickets were £30 a pop or dearer again for a meet and great. Maybe it pays to be miserable... :p
  • Options
    Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How pissed would Taker be if he lost to Punk at mania last year and Punk still walks out?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,034
    Forum Member
    How pissed would Taker be if he lost to Punk at mania last year and Punk still walks out?

Probably not at all
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,564
    Forum Member

He'd definitely be taping his fists.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'd definitely be taping his fists.

I don't think anyone is mistaking the Taker of 1997 for the current version physically. If anything his actual match quality only started improving in 1996 thanks to Foley/Bret once he realised playing the stoic bigman wasn't going to allow for longevity. If they wanted someone to handle things backstage now, they have guys like Cody and Ziggler with legit wrestling skills. If anything that is something the 90s era did lack, genuine tough guys with shooter skills.

Also considering Taker picked Punk and there was literally no way they'd put over Punk at Mania vs Taker, especially when they upset Paul Bearer's actual family with the urn angle. They'd have poured petrol on the fire they didn't meant to set burning at all by going the cheap heat prop angle. 434 day title reign vs the Streak, the two biggest claims of the modern era, was a solid enough story.
  • Options
    AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stinks definitely debuting at Raw after Mania!
  • Options
    PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    AJ Wheels wrote: »

Thank god we haven't got smell-o-vision. :D
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vince has a T-rex skull on the wall of his office.

http://i58.tinypic.com/a4bta9.jpg

Didn't know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank god we haven't got smell-o-vision. :D

:D ..

On the streak, I'm not saying that it wouldn't benefit whoever did break it but I think it would benefit the company more if they didn't. As I said earlier, it gives somebody the opportunity to beat the streak into the future. Maybe that person is Wyatt, maybe Reigns.

Once somebody breaks the streak, that's kind of storyline over whereas you give people the opportunity to go 23/24-0 to surpass the streak.

That is one reason I don't want it breaking, the second is out of respect, the third is I think it would massively deflate me for the rest of the night. I know, or it's pretty certain, that Undertaker will win every year and the storyline should be built from Summerslam/Royal Rumble rather than a few weeks before Mania, but it doesn't stop it from being my favourite match of the night most years.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 29,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ Wheels wrote: »

It must've been a long day for me - for ages I was genuinely wondering if Stink was just the name of a random NXT superstar I hadn't heard of. Finally got it now. My fault not yours AJ. :D

Just got round to watching too that Cody and Goldust interview - a good watch, both come across as humble and some really nice stuff in there too. I'm a sucker for interviews though. I'd agree with others that "The Internet" bit was a bit odd though.

And the talk about their matches at Battleground and HIAC just reminds me how much I enjoyed those matches. The Battleground one in particular was my favourite match that year and was the sort of moment I watch wrestling for.
    I was pleased too to hear Cody call his WM27 feud with Rey his best since I really loved that feud and thought the matches were great and told a great story. A really underrated feud for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Vince has a T-rex skull on the wall of his office.

http://i58.tinypic.com/a4bta9.jpg

Didn't know that.
    Sitting next to the desk in his office at WWE Headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut is a huge dinosaur skull – a gift from Triple H. “I look at it like it’s a really nice monster,” Vince said. “When you feed the monster, the monster is happy. The problem with that is, the monster grows. And as the monster grows, then the monster wants more to eat. And as long as you do that, everything’s great. And if you don’t provide the food, then bad things start to happen.”

When asked by Forbes’ Michael Solomon if that ‘monster’ represents the WWE audience, Vince said with a smile, “You can look at it that way, absolutely.”
    [/QUOTE]

I can't helping thinking buying an old man a dinosaur skull could be taken as a bit of an insult too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D ..

On the streak, I'm not saying that it wouldn't benefit whoever did break it but I think it would benefit the company more if they didn't. As I said earlier, it gives somebody the opportunity to beat the streak into the future. Maybe that person is Wyatt, maybe Reigns.

Once somebody breaks the streak, that's kind of storyline over whereas you give people the opportunity to go 23/24-0 to surpass the streak.

That is one reason I don't want it breaking, the second is out of respect, the third is I think it would massively deflate me for the rest of the night. I know, or it's pretty certain, that Undertaker will win every year and the storyline should be built from Summerslam/Royal Rumble rather than a few weeks before Mania, but it doesn't stop it from being my favourite match of the night most years.

I do think if the Streak were ever to be broken then it needs to be a main event. You wouldn't be able to follow that at all.

The question is though who would end the Streak? And more importantly how would fans react - would it aid a superstar's career or would fans just turn on them properly as 'the person who ended the Streak'?

I'm in two minds about the idea of the Streak ending - the Streak is part of WM folklore now and arguably having the Streak end would be a waste if the superstar just lost all momentum afterwards but it would give someone the ultimate accolade if they did 'end the Streak'.

I'd say it would be OK if it was the 'right person' ending the Streak with a proper, epic chaning of the guard build - because the crowd would respect them enough and it'd be a great passing of the guard momentum. And really if Taker lost he'd have to retire for me - as his character is "The Streak" now.

As such if it ever does end I think it has to be to someone who's big enough to end it but who would reach the next level and become 'that guy' from doing it. Certainly not Cena and not necessarily Wyatt or Reigns (though Wyatt may be one of the better ideas).
    I think it's up to Undertaker what happens though - and if he's happy to lose the Streak to someone they should do it I feel. But not yet. :D
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone wondering, the WrestleMania XXX pre-show is not in Sky Sports' schedules as of writing for Sunday 6th April - if it was it would be 22:00 to 00:00, but its not in any of the schedules at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    I do think if the Streak were ever to be broken then it needs to be a main event. You wouldn't be able to follow that at all.

The question is though who would end the Streak? And more importantly how would fans react - would it aid a superstar's career or would fans just turn on them properly as 'the person who ended the Streak'?

I'm in two minds about the idea of the Streak ending - the Streak is part of WM folklore now and arguably having the Streak end would be a waste if the superstar just lost all momentum afterwards but it would give someone the ultimate accolade if they did 'end the Streak'.

I'd say it would be OK if it was the 'right person' ending the Streak with a proper, epic chaning of the guard build - because the crowd would respect them enough and it'd be a great passing of the guard momentum. And really if Taker lost he'd have to retire for me - as his character is "The Streak" now.

As such if it ever does end I think it has to be to someone who's big enough to end it but who would reach the next level and become 'that guy' from doing it. Certainly not Cena and not necessarily Wyatt or Reigns (though Wyatt may be one of the better ideas).
    I think it's up to Undertaker what happens though - and if he's happy to lose the Streak to someone they should do it I feel. But not yet. :D

I would just feel sad I think. Like you say The Streak is The Undertaker now and as you say, if he lost that's kind of the end of him, and I don't really want that. The streak has become a big part of Mania, it helps to sell.

I'm disappointed by the build to the match this year, but I think it was always going to be a bit off because both are part time workers. I think personally when all is said and done, I would much prefer the streak to be unbroken when he ultimately retires. I would prefer him to go 25-0 but I think that's out of reach with the way his body is in, and I am worried about Brock's recklessness with Taker's hips and shoulders, but I don't think Taker would have picked him if he didn't think he could handle it. I just hope Brock takes the time to work through the match beforehand.

I guess for me, there are just some things that should happen. Vince should retire as a face at Wrestlemania, JR should call Undertaker's retirement match and the streak should remain in place. Maybe I'm stuck in the past and need to get with it, but there isn't much opportunity in WWE (other than the Hall Of Fame) to pay tribute to the people who built the industry, and it's the ultimate respect for Taker to allow the streak to not be broken.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,564
    Forum Member
    No one is breaking the streak

There's no point in anyone doing it anyway. Chances are that WWE wouldn't follow up on it, and the win would be rendered meaningless very quickly, and whoever ended it would probably be resented by the rest of the locker room.

That being said, I think next WM against Cena (probably) should be the last Undertaker match. He's looking increasingly old and thin these days and it's no longer credible for a guy like him to be dominating guys like Lesnar. He's had an amazing career, but the time is coming to draw a line under it.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    For anyone wondering, the WrestleMania XXX pre-show is not in Sky Sports' schedules as of writing for Sunday 6th April - if it was it would be 22:00 to 00:00, but its not in any of the schedules at the moment.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/30/wrestlemania-30-pre-show-26198591
    The first half of the WrestleMania 30 Pre-Show can be viewed on WWE Network, WWE.com, the WWE App, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pheed.

Then, at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT, the Pre-Show continues exclusively on WWE Network, where the all-star panel will continue to break down the stacked WrestleMania lineup. In addition, the action will begin with an exclusive Pre-Show Match!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just feel sad I think. Like you say The Streak is The Undertaker now and as you say, if he lost that's kind of the end of him, and I don't really want that. The streak has become a big part of Mania, it helps to sell.

I'm disappointed by the build to the match this year, but I think it was always going to be a bit off because both are part time workers. I think personally when all is said and done, I would much prefer the streak to be unbroken when he ultimately retires. I would prefer him to go 25-0 but I think that's out of reach with the way his body is in, and I am worried about Brock's recklessness with Taker's hips and shoulders, but I don't think Taker would have picked him if he didn't think he could handle it. I just hope Brock takes the time to work through the match beforehand.

I guess for me, there are just some things that should happen. Vince should retire as a face at Wrestlemania, JR should call Undertaker's retirement match and the streak should remain in place. Maybe I'm stuck in the past and need to get with it, but there isn't much opportunity in WWE (other than the Hall Of Fame) to pay tribute to the people who built the industry, and it's the ultimate respect for Taker to allow the streak to not be broken.

Fair enough - as I say I'm in 2 minds. I normally always like the idea that you should put someone over on the way out but then as you say Taker is a legend,probably deserves to keep the Streak and the Streak is a huge part of WM now and something we all love. Keeping him undefeated too allows Taker a return too if he wants.
    There is the point Barry makes too that ending the Streak could backfire and harm the superstar who ends it. Though if Taker really wanted it to end and wanted to put someone over at WM then I'd question whether it would be held against that superstar.

I think the chance to end the Streak has passed too.
    The chance to end it was the Orton match for me (especially with Orton's whole 'Legend Killer' thing too) - especially as that would have fulfilled the thing I mentioned earlier of the person really being elevated by it. I know anyone would by ending the Streak but you get what I mean - it wouldn't really be useful say Cena or Triple H ending it.
    Still I think Orton gained massively from that feud even in defeat and it really made the Streak 'THE thing'.

I do agree that Taker should call it a day soon though - he's not looking in as good shape now as he did before and in a few years time will probably not be able to put on the great WM matches he has. Though I'm sure people wrote him off around 2005/early 2006 and he responded with some of the best matches of his career.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »

You wont get the pre-shows on sky im afraid.
    First show is free on youtube/wwe.com like the normal one is and the Second show which is showing the kick off match is exclusive to the Network.
    Think i will watch the first show 10pm-11pm then watch the remainder online the next day(that way i can see the kick off match show first and i wont have to pay either;-))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The HOF is for paying tribute to the people who built the industry. Also, considering Vince's alleged view on the "time honoured tradition of doing business right", if he wanted Bret to drop the belt in Montreal rather than quit on RAW so they could hold a title tournament, he obviously wants Undertaker to put someone over on his way out but the question is if at this point it's more of a decision they'd let him make than force on him. Taker has done a lot for the company but the company did a lot for him, considering Texas Red and Mean Mark Callous didn't do big business. Also for the business to thrive, for new names to be built, their reputations must be built on beating the best of the previous era. "To be the man, you've got to beat the man". If Taker was going to kick Shawn's butt if he didn't want to lay down for Austin before he retired the first time at Mania on his way out until his back healed, then surely he needs to understand he needs to practice what he preached and put over someone on his way out if they let him have a Mania ME spot to go out on.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i will now be rooting lesnar on just to see streak end because wwe probably never will.

but bray............hes the new phenom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The HOF is for paying tribute to the people who built the industry. Also, considering Vince's alleged view on the "time honoured tradition of doing business right", if he wanted Bret to drop the belt in Montreal rather than quit on RAW so they could hold a title tournament, he obviously wants Undertaker to put someone over on his way out but the question is if at this point it's more of a decision they'd let him make than force on him. Taker has done a lot for the company but the company did a lot for him, considering Texas Red and Mean Mark Callous didn't do big business. Also for the business to thrive, for new names to be built, their reputations must be built on beating the best of the previous era. "To be the man, you've got to beat the man". If Taker was going to kick Shawn's butt if he didn't want to lay down for Austin before he retired the first time at Mania on his way out until his back healed, then surely he needs to understand he needs to practice what he preached and put over someone on his way out if they let him have a Mania ME spot to go out on.

The Hall Of Fame as a whole is pretty much a 'Hall Of Who Vince Likes Most', it's a great honour don't get me wrong, but it's not really a wrestling HOF.

Yes Vince has done a lot for Taker I'm not denying it, but the streak is embedded into Mania and I personally just don't want it to end. I don't think it will do that much good for the guy that breaks it, I think it generates storylines into the future after he retires and it's a nice nod to Undertaker.

I understand that people want it broken, I just don't that's all. Ultimately it comes down to Undertaker for me, I've read many times that he has suggested people like Orton broke the streak and Vince turned it down. As I said earlier, only very few people will know if that's true, I hope he retires undefeated. Maybe I'm just a nostalgic fool lol, but I like giving the nod of respect to people.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just found out my old neighbour who i got into wrestling is going to wrestlemania

it should have been meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,908
    Forum Member
    Who else misses midcard title feuds? I'm having trouble the last time there was a proper midcard feud for the IC or US Title, not just facing someone cos they won a No.1 Contenders Match, or an authority figure just goes 'You haven't defended in a long time, you're defending against *Wrestler X* tonight!' (although that's mainly for Ambrose)

Give me a reason to care about a title defence!
This discussion has been closed.