Options

Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Listen to another station then, because that isn't what Smooth is about. Has it ever?

Quite. It is your 'relaxing music mix'.

I've been listening to Smooth Glasgow breakfast this week, and can't help feel it'll carve itself a decent niche. More laid-back than Clyde 1/2/Real with the one-presenter, a bit like Neil Fox on Magic London. It's also much more differentiated from Real/Heart than previous incarnations which played Take That and the like.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AL89 wrote: »
    "nobody does it better" how many more times can they play this song>. it will wear out soon.

I don't want to be "relaxed" all day if I want dull, mundane, repetitive radio I can listen to Magic. I want excitement I want fun.

all I hear is "coming up next" sounds from X Y Z and a daft connection (on a good day)
    and (is it me) what seems an unreasonable amount of commercials
    Bring on some skilled DJs liven it up Andrew Castle already sounds bored and the week isn't up yet.

It's not just you. The adverts are relentless. I can (just about) put up with the repetitive music, and the presenters that sound bored out of their brains, but the incessant adverts are what will eventually drive me away. I am sure you'll be told to listen to something else if you don't like it.

Edit. I see you already have. :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just you. The adverts are relentless. I can (just about) put up with the repetitive music, and the presenters that sound bored out of their brains, but the incessant adverts are what will eventually drive me away. I am sure you'll be told to listen to something else if you don't like it.

Edit. I see you already have. :D

Eventually drive you away JC? Why aren't you gone already, like me? Forgive me for being quite so blunt, as I fully agree with you, but why would you, or anybody else who wrote what you have, continue to listen to such a station. What you have described is a radio station with NO redeeming features and yet you are hanging on with it. Is it force of habit or the vain hope that it will come around to your taste if you bear with it? Don't hold your breath. I wonder how many more listeners it has with your opinion who are still giving it a listen?

Even worse than the repetitive music was the "bored out of their brains" as you put it sounding presenters. If there is one thing I simply cannot stand it is presenters that convey absolutely no discernible spark, emotion, connectivity, enthusiasm with their listener, even if they can only speak a minimal amount. I still cannot get over how bad the station had made David Jensen sound on the Drive Home show through last autumn. To me that was almost worse than hearing Kool & The Gang 5 times inside 2 weeks within the same hour of his show. As for excessive advertising, well that is commercial radio for you. You have to accept it or try the BBC, but they annoy me more than ever for the incessant ads they place in their own shows nowadays to promote other BBC stuff. Of course they like to refer to them as "trailers".
  • Options
    LloydChristmasLloydChristmas Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    'Joey Deacon loves the new sound of Smooth. Thanks for that, Joe.'

Lol.
  • Options
    PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I still cannot get over how bad the station had made David Jensen sound on the Drive Home show through last autumn.

Hmmm. It's easy to blame a format but a good, dedicated presenter should be able to work any format.

Besides, I don't believe any radio station has ever told their presenters to sound bored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eventually drive you away JC? Why aren't you gone already, like me? Forgive me for being quite so blunt, as I fully agree with you, but why would you, or anybody else who wrote what you have, continue to listen to such a station. What you have described is a radio station with NO redeeming features and yet you are hanging on with it. Is it force of habit or the vain hope that it will come around to your taste if you bear with it? Don't hold your breath. I wonder how many more listeners it has with your opinion who are still giving it a listen?

Even worse than the repetitive music was the "bored out of their brains" as you put it sounding presenters. If there is one thing I simply cannot stand it is presenters that convey absolutely no discernible spark, emotion, connectivity, enthusiasm with their listener, even if they can only speak a minimal amount. I still cannot get over how bad the station had made David Jensen sound on the Drive Home show through last autumn. To me that was almost worse than hearing Kool & The Gang 5 times inside 2 weeks within the same hour of his show. As for excessive advertising, well that is commercial radio for you. You have to accept it or try the BBC, but they annoy me more than ever for the incessant ads they place in their own shows nowadays to promote other BBC stuff. Of course they like to refer to them as "trailers".

It's habit RT. A habit I am trying to break. I only dip in and out whilst in the car, as my choice of stations (in the car) is very limited. But you're right of course. I should really just give up completely as I very much doubt it will change. This is it ( a very good Melba Moore song they will not play:(;-)), so I should just give up. As a long time listener to Smooth (the original Smooth) I am not left with a lot of alternatives - but R2 is the closest I suppose.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still cannot get over how bad the station had made David Jensen sound on the Drive Home show through last autumn.
    PhilH wrote: »
    Hmmm. It's easy to blame a format but a good, dedicated presenter should be able to work any format.

Besides, I don't believe any radio station has ever told their presenters to sound bored.

I thought David sounded a bit bored even before Global took control.

He always sounds best when he's got people to interview.
    <snip> This is it ( a very good Melba Moore song they will not play:(;-)), <snip>

http://comparemyradio.com/tracks/Melba_Moore/This_Is_It
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I thought David sounded a bit bored even before Global took control.

He always sounds best when he's got people to interview.

People on here were complaining about David's drive show back in March 2012 (before Global bought GMG):

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1645856

David would be an ideal signing for Absolute, as he has great music knowledge and is an excellent interviewer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by Jimmy Connors
    <snip> This is it ( a very good Melba Moore song they will not play), <snip>
    dpb wrote: »

Were those 2 plays from Pete Waterman's show? :confused: A defunct show that was a great listen.
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were those 2 plays from Pete Waterman's show? :confused: A defunct show that was a great listen.
    They were scheduled in the Soul Show on Mar 1st & Mar 15th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They were scheduled in the Soul Show on Mar 1st & Mar 15th.

Thank you. :)
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont like the poor playlist but also dont like the new smooth news either. Just 60 seconds is it worth them having any news at all ?
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I dont like the poor playlist but also dont like the new smooth news either. Just 60 seconds is it worth them having any news at all ?

Typical Global that's what they do on Heart. More evidence that they really don't understand the mature listener who is likely to tune elsewhere for a decent bulletin.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Typical Global that's what they do on Heart. More evidence that they really don't understand the mature listener who is likely to tune elsewhere for a decent bulletin.

Again i make my point "Global don't understand the mature listener" They seem to be doing pretty good with Gold who in London had a bigger audience at breakfast than Bates even though its on AM! Classic FM also seems to be doing well last time i looked as well, funny enough so does LBC as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Smooth listeners I know/have known are more likely to go elsewhere when they really want news anyway.

Surprised they are doing a 60 second bulletin though - I wonder if the duration change is because the ex-Real stations will be carrying it when they become Heart?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »
    Again i make my point "Global don't understand the mature listener" They seem to be doing pretty good with Gold who in London had a bigger audience at breakfast than Bates even though its on AM! Classic FM also seems to be doing well last time i looked as well, funny enough so does LBC as well.

And of course the Gold news bulletin was more than a minute I rest my case.

Gold was popular they have made a big mistake with Smooth.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course the Gold news bulletin was more than a minute I rest my case.

Gold was popular they have made a big mistake with Smooth.

I'm sure Smart programmer can confirm but i'm sure that Smooth Bulletin is longer than 1 minute as the out cue is usually "Smooth Radio News, its 2 minutes past XX"
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night he said its 1 min past xx but sometimes 2. It used to be a full 3mins at least but hey ho the show must go on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night he said its 1 min past xx but sometimes 2. It used to be a full 3mins at least but hey ho the show must go on.

I think I heard a one minute bulletin last night at 10 - did not check tonight, maybe someone else can clarify?

I can't remember there being 3 minutes news bulletins at night-time on Smooth even under GMG, only daytime.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »

How Jensen was sounding and came across on that show was down to him.and him alone.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Magic in London drop the news completely at 10 and 11 on weeknights and just have the weather from Danny
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about the Smooth Radio style of radio, Gold and other automated radio, somebody called Mark tweeted this to Tony Blackburn a couple of days ago;

"This model seems to be catching on with alarming speed. Why this new culture of anti-personality?"

Tony B says "a computer is less expensive than having proper talent"

Mark says to him "radio is more popular than ever yet the listener is short changed by iPod playlisting. Surely true talent builds a brand in the long run?"

Tony B says "I totally agree".

Good comments. I agree too.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 66,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Chris Skinner seems to be the only one who is relaxed and likeable on air. You actually get the vibe from him that he might actually listen to the station himself whilst not on air. From Castle, Garroway and Davis you get the vibe that they just turn up, do their bit and dontr even listen to the station in their own time.

I know this is probably because Skinner is an experienced radio DJ compared to the others but their lack of engagement with Smooth would lead you to think, if they dont listen themselves, why should I?

It dosnt mean they are bad or unexperienced broadcasters for not listening to where they work. Smooth have experience there too who have been in the business for years- Gary King, Paul Hollins, Emma B etc etc. We are talking London only where there is Darren Parks, Charlie Jordon, Clive Warren and Carlos etc outside London. It's good mixing up different styles of broadcaster - look what Radio 2 do. There are a few who are TV people as well as working on the Radio.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    It dosnt mean they are bad or unexperienced broadcasters for not listening to where they work.

They can't even fake enthusiasm for the station they work for. So neither can I. Head for head against Magic, Skinner is the only one that cones close right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have come to the conclusion that the ex-Gold local adverts are the only lively exciting thing on Snooze. The music, jingles and presenters are boring by comparison. Oh and that woman on the jingles is so patronising makes you want to throw up.