Options

Eastenders: The Laundrette

Ben_HuntBen_Hunt Posts: 267
Forum Member
Okay so DTC established that the show needs to update and get with the times, we have an upmarket bar and a new market on the way. Scarlett's provides a more luxurious place to dine and the gyms reopening is appropriate with the fitness savvy culture we have today. My one nagging thought is whether the laundrette still needs to be there? Once Dot retires which surely must be soon, there won't be anyone as iconic enough to take over and Cora is rarely seen there. Following Dot's break from the show, rarely anyone has been seen in there for the standard confession/shoulder to cry on session.

Plus with the Arches, Arthur's Bench and the park, do we need anymore places for characters to sit and cry/reveal their crimes? I just feel it's so outdated and doesn't really even feel part of the show anymore. I'd rather Mr Opodopolous sell it on and allow for something new or extend/revamp the Minute Mart and that god awful wood panelling.

Comments

• Options
    Scarlet FeverScarlet Fever Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Ben_Hunt wrote: »
    Okay so DTC established that the show needs to update and get with the times, we have an upmarket bar and a new market on the way. Scarlett's provides a more luxurious place to dine and the gyms reopening is appropriate with the fitness savvy culture we have today. My one nagging thought is whether the laundrette still needs to be there? Once Dot retires which surely must be soon, there won't be anyone as iconic enough to take over and Cora is rarely seen there. Following Dot's break from the show, rarely anyone has been seen in there for the standard confession/shoulder to cry on session.

Plus with the Arches, Arthur's Bench and the park, do we need anymore places for characters to sit and cry/reveal their crimes? I just feel it's so outdated and doesn't really even feel part of the show anymore. I'd rather Mr Opodopolous sell it on and allow for something new or extend/revamp the Minute Mart and that god awful wood panelling.

Yeah - I guess laundrettes are out dated etc, what could replace it? what are we missing in the square?

maybe a
    clothes shop but we have market stalls
    bar - Sharon/the vic
    café - have
    restaurant - have
    small shop - have
    fish 'n' chips

we had a charity shop....

maybe a proper stationery/newsagents shop? hairdressers/beauty (what happened to booty is now becoming a bar)
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in the new set they should extend the newsagents into the laundrette and turn it into something like a small supermarket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they are clever enough they will remember they sent Bianca away on a fashion course last year, how about Kat & Bianca turn the laundrette into a clothes shop it also gives both characters development
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lots of people still use laudrette's - especially in the city with all the flats.

Although you'd think someone like Ian could affford and has space for a washing machine!
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    The Launderette is kind of an EastEnders icon and getting rid of it would be easy but creating something equally iconic in its place would be in impossible. It's true that it was probably more realistic in the 80s and 90s and was heavily used during those eras but in terms of realism they are making a comeback, a new one opened up down the road from me last year in west London and seems very busy in the evenings, full of those young 'hipster' types who could probably afford their own machine but can't be bothered or just see the launderette as some kind of cool throwback. Putting a few quid into the machine could be cheaper in the long run than the ever increasing electricity bills!

Despite the jokes about how nobody in Albery Square has a washing machine or how outdated it is, I think there's a place for it in 21st century Walford. Otherwise the modernisation becomes too "try hard" by hastily replacing an old favourite with a cliched shop/cafe.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,695
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    lots of people still use laudrette's - especially in the city with all the flats.

Although you'd think someone like Ian could affford and has space for a washing machine!

This. They should keep it until Dot leaves atleast!
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Laundrettes are very still much in use. I don't get where people get this idea from that people don't use Launderettes. Just come around to Hackney and see how much they are still in use.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mobile phone shop or cash converters type of store.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Apart really from Dr. Legg, why has their never been a long standing doctor in the square??
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Launderettes are still very much in demand.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A purple interior designer needs to come in and turn it into a little red launderette...
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    People still use laundrettes, my town has about 5 of them (all very much in use). Not everyone has a washing machine or can afford to buy one a £2 wash once every two weeks or every week is a lot cheaper than buying a machine from somewhere like Brighthouse. We've used them when our washing machine stopped working/needed a new part/wasn't plumbed in. Their machine's are also bigger so you can put larger items like duvets or coats in them.

It's actually very realistic that somewhere like Albert Square has a laundrette (which also does dry cleaning).
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keller wrote: »
    The Launderette is kind of an EastEnders icon and getting rid of it would be easy but creating something equally iconic in its place would be in impossible. It's true that it was probably more realistic in the 80s and 90s and was heavily used during those eras but in terms of realism they are making a comeback, a new one opened up down the road from me last year in west London and seems very busy in the evenings, full of those young 'hipster' types who could probably afford their own machine but can't be bothered or just see the launderette as some kind of cool throwback. Putting a few quid into the machine could be cheaper in the long run than the ever increasing electricity bills!

Despite the jokes about how nobody in Albery Square has a washing machine or how outdated it is, I think there's a place for it in 21st century Walford. Otherwise the modernisation becomes too "try hard" by hastily replacing an old favourite with a cliched shop/cafe.
    This pretty much. I'd be very upset if they ever got rid of the laundrette
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 70,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The gym set needs updating - it looks like a boxing club still...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    The problem with beauty salons/Hairdresser sets is that in reality people don't go to them every day/week. The launderette was perfect because hardly nobody had washing machines in the 80's and you could base scenes there. However keeping it would probably be okay but given the middle class postcode E20 has become it doesn't make sense.

Knocking it through with the shop next door would be ideal as it means they would hire more staff which of course adds screen time for actors and would be very realistic.

You could have a small corner of the shop devoted to a post office and possibly a dry cleaning booth perhaps?
  • Options
    lewisktfclewisktfc Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The laundrette is too iconic to get rid of, but I think there is some places that have potential, like Mcklunkies, the bookies & the community centre, all could be used more or turned into something new..
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewisktfc wrote: »
    The laundrette is too iconic to get rid of, but I think there is some places that have potential, like Mcklunkies, the bookies & the community centre, all could be used more or turned into something new..

I think they should modernise it a bit, something like this perhaps?

http://www.ipso.com/Upload/IPSO%20Laundry%20Showcase.jpg
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    The problem with beauty salons/Hairdresser sets is that in reality people don't go to them every day/week. The launderette was perfect because hardly nobody had washing machines in the 80's and you could base scenes there. However keeping it would probably be okay but given the middle class postcode E20 has become it doesn't make sense.

Knocking it through with the shop next door would be ideal as it means they would hire more staff which of course adds screen time for actors and would be very realistic.

You could have a small corner of the shop devoted to a post office and possibly a dry cleaning booth perhaps?

Which part of E20 denotes middle class? Certaintly not the E part
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope Mr Opidopolous comes back to the laundromat again.

Great character - his voice was really smooth and oily.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fine, because they are still in use.

It would probably be fitting to have it close down once Dot has left.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walford should open a gay massage parlour set up by Philth after he comes out of the closet to Sharon, and then he bullies poor Ian into having the first 'happy ending' at his ahem...hands. :o:D
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Phil should open a Shisha cafe in there once Dot leaves!
    It would be good business, go to the Vic to get pissed, go next door to get knocked out!

And its not like Phil to walk you home, you'd wake up on the curb :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think it is though (iconic) if The Queen Vic shut down that would be one thing or even the cafe but that's gone through it's fair share of names and the worlds kept turning. Dot is hardly ever there and surely she must be retiring soon? People think everything on EE is iconic which is part of the problem that we've had until now. It's stick in the past.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_Hunt wrote: »
    I don't think it is though (iconic) if The Queen Vic shut down that would be one thing or even the cafe but that's gone through it's fair share of names and the worlds kept turning. Dot is hardly ever there and surely she must be retiring soon? People think everything on EE is iconic which is part of the problem that we've had until now. It's stick in the past.

It is iconic to the show. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be closed and we move on. But much like the Cafe and Vic it's been a common place since the 80s for characters to meet or where Pauline and Dot give out their advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    It is iconic to the show. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be closed and we move on. But much like the Cafe and Vic it's been a common place since the 80s for characters to meet or where Pauline and Dot give out their advice.

Pauline has been dead for how long now? And Dot has been seen like three times since she returned at the start of the year. It's redundant, it's just somewhere where people go to do things without people hearing or noticing and quite frankly there's other places for that. It may have BEEN iconic, but it's not an icon anymore because nothing that made it special is there. The cafe, you'll always have Ian complaining or Marie taking on everyone's shifts, The Vic is just the hub of everything, the laundrette? Somewhere Dot gives advice, only she doesn't anymore.