Options

Sam Baileys sells more than James, Matt and Little Mix in first week!

WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
Forum Member
✭✭
As people have pointed out - sales are higher later in the year too.

Well done Sam!

James 63,996
Little Mix 53,314
Matt 70,896
Sam - 73K (exact numbers to be confirmed)

These figures are from the Buzzjack forum, so still need to be officially confirmed. Normally they are pretty accurate. This COULD be wrong.

Comments

• Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "sales are higher later in the year" argument doesn't entirely stack up - Mother's Day can be a big week for sales, especially if that's your target market. You have to ask the question "do you think Sam would have sold 73k releasing in October?"

It's a good opening week anyway, the rush release strategy clearly paying off. But she'll need to keep it going to end on a decent sales tally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    The "sales are higher later in the year" argument doesn't entirely stack up - Mother's Day can be a big week for sales, especially if that's your target market. You have to ask the question "do you think Sam would have sold 73k releasing in October?"

It's a good opening week anyway, the rush release strategy clearly paying off. But she'll need to keep it going to end on a decent sales tally.

You can also scrap the "Do you think Sam would have sold 73K releasing in October?" argument with...

"Do you think Little Mix, Matt and James would of sold as much as they did without successful singles, radio play and an X Factor performance?"
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    As people have pointed out - sales are higher later in the year too.

Well done Sam!

James 63,996
    Little Mix 53,314
    Matt 70,896
    Sam - 73K (exact numbers to be confirmed)

How interesting!! Do you have a source for the 73K, WHW?

What it may tell the PTB is that releasing soon off the back of the show, costs them far less than waiting a whole year, and sees better returns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can also scrap the "Do you think Sam would have sold 73K releasing in October?" argument with...

"Do you think Little Mix, Matt and James would of sold as much as they did without successful singles, radio play and an X Factor performance?"

My point was that making those kind of comparisons is misleading and redundant. Sam is an albums artist. Airplay will never be a major part of her strategy because radio isn't interested and her singles wouldn't chart well. Little Mix and James are more singles artists who will get airplay and use that to shift some albums. And Mother's Day wouldn't be a part of their plan.

I just think it might be wise to exercise some caution. I don't have a dog in this race. But all this gloating on one weeks sales could very quickly come back to bite... it's a solid start and great to get a #1 album. But it's not done yet.
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for her!
    We'll see how things go next week (the album needs to sell OK for more than 1 week), but those sales are unexpectedly good! Mother's day might have helped, but I'm sure this sales number, if true, will impress Syco.

I suppose it shows that X Factor still has some steam to launch some careers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    How interesting!! Do you have a source for the 73K, WHW?

What it may tell the PTB is that releasing soon off the back of the show, costs them far less than waiting a whole year, and sees better returns.

It's on Buzzjack - they are normally very accurate.

Full numbers should be confirmed soon though!

Yeah. Sam would have spent less and made more from this album than the other winners. I think she will release her own original material - another album - later in the year with an X Factor performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point was that making those kind of comparisons is misleading and redundant. Sam is an albums artist. Airplay will never be a major part of her strategy because radio isn't interested and her singles wouldn't chart well. Little Mix and James are more singles artists who will get airplay and use that to shift some albums. And Mother's Day wouldn't be a part of their plan.

I just think it might be wise to exercise some caution. I don't have a dog in this race. But all this gloating on one weeks sales could very quickly come back to bite...

For months us Sam B fans have been told how she wouldn't come close to any of the other winner's opening sales. I think one thread stating a fact is far from gloating.

Being an album artist is much better - as Sam B fans have been saying for months - but we got shot down constantly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For months us Sam B fans have been told how she wouldn't come close to any of the other winner's opening sales. I think one thread stating a fact is far from gloating.

Being an album artist is much better - as Sam B fans have been saying for months - but we got shot down constantly.

I would be careful with saying that Sam B is an album artist just from a 1 week sales figure. Not saying she won't turn out to be, but it's not unheard of to have good 1st week sales & then disapear off the chart rapidly.

If she turns out to sell OK in the coming weeks with an album full of covers & reaches good sales overall, I hope that it will motivate Syco to invest more into her second album (good original songs hopefully for her fans) instead of sticking to the cheaper cover album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just selling a lot of something is what you want, doesn't matter these days if that's albums or singles. If Sam can sell a load of albums then that'll do just fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    I would be careful with saying that Sam B is an album artist just from a 1 week sales figure. Not saying she won't turn out to be, but it's not unheard of to have good 1st week sales & then disapear off the chart rapidly.
    If she turns out to sell OK in the coming weeks with an album full of covers & reaches good sales overall, I hope that it will motivate Syco to invest more into her second album (good original songs hopefully for her fans) instead of sticking to the cheaper cover album.

Be careful?

To me an album artist is someone who sells more albums than singles - no matter if the sales are tiny or huge. She will sell more albums than singles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just selling a lot of something is what you want, doesn't matter these days if that's albums or singles. If Sam can sell a load of albums then that'll do just fine.

It does matter.

If someone sells 300 000 copies of a single and only 30 000 albums, it's not great.
    If someone sells 30 000 copies of a single and 300 000 albums, it's great.

The money is in the album sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SOURCE!

It's ALMOST 73K.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/x-factors-sam-bailey-scores-debut-number-1-album-2864/

ALSO becomes the fastest selling album of the year so far - beating PHARRELL WILLIAMS!

Well done, Sam!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful?

To me an album artist is someone who sells more albums than singles - no matter if the sales are tiny or huge. She will sell more albums than singles.

I suppose you are right :)
    What I meant is that a great 1st week sales (which it was!) when there is an event like Mother's day to help doesn't guaranty longevity in the charts.

I'm not a fan of her, but I wish her well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    I suppose you are right :)
    What I meant is that a great 1st week sales (which it was!) when there is an event like Mother's day to help doesn't guaranty longevity in the charts.

I'm not a fan of her, but I wish her well.

Yeah, of course! Sorry!

I think it probably will reach about......150K overall. Which will make enough money for SyCo to concentrate on great material for her!
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    It's on Buzzjack - they are normally very accurate.

Full numbers should be confirmed soon though!

Yeah. Sam would have spent less and made more from this album than the other winners. I think she will release her own original material - another album - later in the year with an X Factor performance.

Yes true, they're very reliable. The official charts have an article now as well

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/x-factors-sam-bailey-scores-debut-number-1-album-2864/

Congrats to Sam! :)

Never say never where cover albums are concerned. Rhydian sold 90k in his first week and went platinum in four weeks.
  • Options
    MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does she have a hit single currently on the charts that would support the album sales after the first week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does matter.

If someone sells 300 000 copies of a single and only 30 000 albums, it's not great.
    If someone sells 30 000 copies of a single and 300 000 albums, it's great.

The money is in the album sales.

You're quite right that 1 single is not equal to 1 album. But in the current market, singles sell a lot more than albums and that's the growing trend. Hence why we're all sitting saying how 73k sales are good for an album in Mother's Day week. Some artists can sell so many singles that they need to sell relatively few albums to survive.

And increasingly stuff like VEVO and merchandise is becoming so important in terms of revenue. It's no longer an "albums only" business but if you can do it that way then that's great.

The bottom line is, make money whatever way you can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mateja wrote: »
    Does she have a hit single currently on the charts that would support the album sales after the first week?

Nope. Neither did George Michael.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member

I just think it might be wise to exercise some caution. I don't have a dog in this race. But all this gloating on one weeks sales could very quickly come back to bite... it's a solid start and great to get a #1 album. But it's not done yet.

It's a very interesting point concerning her being an albums artist and also what the demographic is, especially bearing in mind that the proportion of digital sales is very small. This would suggest that the buyer is less technologically minded (older perhaps?).

She has had very little airplay on any of the major stations (except for the winners single in December) and her current single (released tomorrow) is not even on the Radio 2 playlist.

It will be interesting to know where the new single (compass) charts next week.

What appears to be obvious is that a lot of people are taken by Sam's voice, whatever you think of her, there hasn't been such an emotive vocalist for years and maybe she has struck a chord with people who have not actively purchased music for a number of years.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Sam!
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    LM's album still went on to reach platinum and are still signed to Syco (and had a hit single selling 400k +) and James is past 200k (I think?), but considering his behaviour and Simon's comments I doubt he will remain signed to Syco.

But well done to Sam.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Sam. Even though I would never call myself a fan nothing pleases me more than when contestants have success post show.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,291
    Forum Member
    Well done Sam :D
  • Options
    AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cringe at this thread. Major cringe. It's like the OP is keen to prove something. :blush:

Nice for Sam, I guess.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Well done Sam! Fair play to her. I don't want to rain on her parade but she is still very fresh off the show and has been marketed around mothers day. I'm interested to see how the album will last and how her second one will do. That's the real test...