Options

Why has BBC Sacked Me

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
DM story today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2593886/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Why-BBC-sacked-asks-black-TV-presenter.html

perhaps he just isn't very good. not just assume it's based on race, eh?

Comments

• Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given he's worked for the BBC for 24 years then I think that he mst be reasonably good at what he does. And given he worked for the BBC for 24 years it hardly sounds as though the institution is racist. Duh!

Perhaps he needs to check his date of birth? He is, to be quite honest, getting on a bit and perhaps that was the deciding factor? Keep a young handsome chap/chapette and let the coffin dodgers go?
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    Given he's worked for the BBC for 24 years then I think that he mst be reasonably good at what he does. And given he worked for the BBC for 24 years it hardly sounds as though the institution is racist. Duh!

Perhaps he needs to check his date of birth? He is, to be quite honest, getting on a bit and perhaps that was the deciding factor? Keep a young handsome chap/chapette and let the coffin dodgers go?

Not racist, just ageist then.

You'll be a 'coffin dodger' yourself one day.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justatech wrote: »

TBH, it is more than likely an age thing rather than a competancy or race thing.

Not racist, just ageist then.

You'll be a 'coffin dodger' yourself one day.

I'm not sure it's fair to call a company "ageist" if they let an older person go in favour of a younger person. It may not sound nice but there may be tangible reasons for doing so.

If you have 10 people and you need to get rid of a few, it may make sense to keep those who are still in their prime or are more appealing to an audience over someone past their prime. That's unfortunately life, it is a business at the end of the day, not a charity.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the DM article pont out , Kurt is a fairly senior journalist ....
    And with the BBC slimming down under DQF .
    .. I can well imagine that there are fewer places for people like him ...
    So he is under notice of redundancy ...
    The BBC has a very long process to try to redeploy people
    But at the end he may very well be unable to find a equivalent post.

I hope he finds another job soon,
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    TBH, it is more than likely an age thing rather than a competancy or race thing.

I'm not sure it's fair to call a company "ageist" if they let an older person go in favour of a younger person. It may not sound nice but there may be tangible reasons for doing so.

If you have 10 people and you need to get rid of a few, it may make sense to keep those who are still in their prime or are more appealing to an audience over someone past their prime. That's unfortunately life, it is a business at the end of the day, not a charity.

Whether a business or a charity, as an employer, the Equality Act applies. And age is one of its categories.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are still too white.

does not properly represent Britain’s ethnically diverse population

appalling’ representation of non-white people

Interesting implications in that article.

Delivering quality first aims to save £700m per year but how
    A more flexible workforce which reduces duplication of expertise;

Streamlining the corporation's use of technology in workplace and production processes;

Continuing to reduce senior management numbers under plans announced in July, and flattening the structure to ensure there are no more than five layers between the Director-General to the most junior member of staff;

Modernisation of terms and conditions for BBC staff; and

Increasing out-of-London production and reducing the BBC's property estate.

They also sacked a white woman

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9781097/BBC-criticised-by-radio-presenter-after-she-is-sacked-by-text.html

They are clearly trying to preserve the white male privilege.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they didn't like him because he betrays his employers by opening his mouth too wide too often ;)
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Whether a business or a charity, as an employer, the Equality Act applies. And age is one of its categories.

Well that depends on whether age was the lone deciding factor. In practice there is more to a decision than age.

For example, a person could be more desirable to keep for reasons x, y and z (which have nothing to do with age), but the reason why x, y and z are true happen to be age.

The Equality Act protects prevents people from being discriminated against due to age, race etc. it is not job protection against meritocracy.

For example, an older person can find that in the situation of redundancy selection that they are up against someone who performs better or is more clued up / up to date with things; or even simply more relevant. That can be especially true with things such as TV where someone being more popular or interesting to an audience is important (as that affects the performance of the stuff they are involved in).

In a practical sense the person who performs better and is more clued up/up to date is better for the job so the other will face redundancy due to those reasons (which are perfectly legitimate and legal).

Fact may be that age is the cause of their lower performance or lack of being up to date.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I think we need to know more information before ny comment can be made (unlike the Daily Mail)

Was he BBC staff? In which case then a redundancy process would have been followed and he would know why the BBC were making his position redendant - and there are cut backs at the BBC.

However, it was more likely that he was freelance given he works at Middlesex University. In which case he may still have lost his job (not redundancy in this case) as the cut backs will fall on freelance staff, who are employed on an as needed basis,, first before any staff posts are lost.

And I didn't mention black or age once.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail being 'offended' on behalf of someone else I see....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    However, it was more likely that he was freelance given he works at Middlesex University. In which case he may still have lost his job (not redundancy in this case) as the cut backs will fall on freelance staff, who are employed on an as needed basis,, first before any staff posts are lost.

I bet he was on a renewable contract and they just haven't renewed it. Not many people in the media these days have a job for life.

I have never seen the word 'Bame' btw and wonder if the Mail journalist misheard the term BME.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man loses job. Riveting stuff.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    If he's that good then he'd have no problem getting work from another TV company, in fact I'm surprised he wasn't head hunted years ago because that seems to be the norm with good BBC news people.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say the probability is that it has less to do with racism or ageism and more to do with the fact that he is now purely a Special Correspondent with BBC London and has been since 2001 so not on air all the time and probably in all the restructuring not considered to be financially viable for BBC London's budget.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet he was on a renewable contract and they just haven't renewed it. Not many people in the media these days have a job for life.

I have never seen the word 'Bame' btw and wonder if the Mail journalist misheard the term BME.

I've seen it written like that a couple of times. They include the 'and'.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I would say the probability is that it has less to do with racism or ageism and more to do with the fact that he is now purely a Special Correspondent with BBC London and has been since 2001 so not on air all the time and probably in all the restructuring not considered to be financially viable for BBC London's budget.

Ah - BBC London - that might explain why I've never heard of nor recognise this "top journo".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Ah - BBC London - that might explain why I've never heard of nor recognise this "top journo".

And I watch BBC London and had to look him up as he isn't on that often.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail running a racism story about the BBC!!!....

Pot meet kettle.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »

Surely it's illegal though? I know it's illegal under the Employment Equality Acts here in Ireland, but I don't know about the UK Act. My lecturer only talks about Irish law but I wouldn't trust everything she says anyway. She's a strange woman.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's illegal though? I know it's illegal under the Employment Equality Acts here in Ireland, but I don't know about the UK Act. My lecturer only talks about Irish law but I wouldn't trust everything she says anyway. She's a strange woman.

There appears to be many reasons they could have let him go as stated in the aims of their restructuring.

Part of that is to move away from london and reducing duplicate expertise. This seems more relevant than the implication that he is old or a minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It would depend on the job, if the person was for instance physically no longer able to carry out their job and that may be due to age then a company cannot keep them and hire someone else to do the job for them, not all companies can move people around sometimes they have no alternative but to terminate a contract. However if you sacked someone just because they were older and for no other reason then that is illegal.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    It would depend on the job, if the person was for instance physically no longer able to carry out their job and that may be due to age then a company cannot keep them and hire someone else to do the job for them, not all companies can move people around sometimes they have no alternative but to terminate a contract. However if you sacked someone just because they were older and for no other reason then that is illegal.

Well the inability to no longer carry out their job is a ground for fair dismissal (under the Unfair Dismissals Acts 1977-2007 here in Ireland, again not sure about UK no thanks to idiot lecturer) but just sacking someone purely on the basis of age is definitely discrimination. Companies are also allowed to let people go when restructuring. I must admit a lot of employment law stuff is common sense. I don't need any idiot lecturers to tell me :p My lecturer is hopeless. She broke my laptop charger and she's really strict and expects the students to work.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    So have we now got to the stage where you can't sack a black person or else it has to be because you are a racist?

Talk about abusing laws that were designed to protect people against real racism. All this crying wolf will end in people not being taken seriously when a genuine attack has happened.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sack me? sack me! I made the BBC! I made it.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DM story today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2593886/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Why-BBC-sacked-asks-black-TV-presenter.html

perhaps he just isn't very good. not just assume it's based on race, eh?

I don't know if that article has been edited, and certainly race is mentioned there, but I cannot see where he is suggesting that he has been sacked because of his colour.