Options

Plus size women,accepted your size,like me?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I am plus size and I hate it. I am working very hard at the moment to try and lose weight. It's completely ruined my confidence and I often feel embarrassed when I am out and about as I always think people are judging me for being so over weight.

It just seems to make all areas of my life difficult. I can't wear the kind of clothes I would like to wear because they just don't look right on someone of my size. I get out of breath doing even the simplest of things. I feel awkward in a lot of social situations such as eating in front of other people. I always feel like I take up too much space - things like buses are a nightmare. If they are busy and someone has to sit by me I end up feeling awful about it as I know I am taking up more then my fair share of the seat. Summer is dreadful as I end up wearing way too many clothes because I am trying to cover up and I end up looking ridiculous because it's so hot and I am so over dressed. Photographs always upset me as I seem to end up looking like a giant compared to everyone else in them.

I could make an enormous list but the worst part for me is feeling that my weakness is on display for all to see. That it looks like I've given up on my body or that I have no self respect which couldn't be further from the truth. I pretend I am not bothered about being fat but it's a massive lie. I don't think I will ever accept it.
  • Options
    Jay_BizJay_Biz Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    RTPLM wrote: »
    I am plus size and I hate it. I am working very hard at the moment to try and lose weight. It's completely ruined my confidence and I often feel embarrassed when I am out and about as I always think people are judging me for being so over weight.

It just seems to make all areas of my life difficult. I can't wear the kind of clothes I would like to wear because they just don't look right on someone of my size. I get out of breath doing even the simplest of things. I feel awkward in a lot of social situations such as eating in front of other people. I always feel like I take up too much space - things like buses are a nightmare. If they are busy and someone has to sit by me I end up feeling awful about it as I know I am taking up more then my fair share of the seat. Summer is dreadful as I end up wearing way too many clothes because I am trying to cover up and I end up looking ridiculous because it's so hot and I am so over dressed. Photographs always upset me as I seem to end up looking like a giant compared to everyone else in them.

I could make an enormous list but the worst part for me is feeling that my weakness is on display for all to see. That it looks like I've given up on my body or that I have no self respect which couldn't be further from the truth. I pretend I am not bothered about being fat but it's a massive lie. I don't think I will ever accept it.

the only thing you can do that will get you to where u wanna be is non stop work, don't give up.

i always find plus size people fascinating. in real life i can't ask because i might get slapped, but on a forum - just how do some of you people get to be so big?? i mean you must see your weight creeping up?? why no stop eating so much and start exercising? its really interesting stuff.

all about short term thinking vs long term at the end of the day i guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I'm a Minus Sized man, does that count?

Or should I start a new thread for similarly skinny blokes?

:)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Minus Sized man, does that count?

Or should I start a new thread for similarly skinny blokes?

:)

Does it bother you? Or are you happy how you are?
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    Any plus size women here who have sort of accepted your size?
    Are you happy being big?
    I'm in my late 30s, always been over weight, but I've now reached a size 24.
    I guess I do feel a bit miffed but at the same time I've just accepted it.
    I have no desire to lose weight.
    I do A LOT of walking at work (9 hour shift) and when I come home all I want to do is collapse =/
    How the hell am I meant to 'go for a jog' or do some exercise?
    I think I like food too much too. I don't go overboard , Im not a big meat eater, and I don't cover everything in butter or fat.

Any other women ?

Not interested in any fat haters comments , save your breath :)

IM over weight but dont really give a shit about it.

If it makes me die younger.... gotta die of something! We all die, you cant escape it.

I honestly dont get why women are so relentlessly hysterical about their weight. I simply dont connect with this emotion.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTPLM wrote: »

Why do you let your weight make you feel so bad??

I genuinely mean this as all the things youre worried about: clothes, on the bus etc dont concern me.

I regard all these worries as societal pressures to conform to an idealised body image & I dont see why I need to accept that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a size 22/24. I was as miserable as sin. I could never accept my size and I couldn't seem to do anything about it either. I was a comfort eater, I rarely ate meals but I snacked all day long and just got heavier and heavier. I ate what was obviously a dodgy burger in January 2010 that made me ill for 3 days, of course I lost a few pound and something just clicked and decided I'd had enough of being miserable and was totally fed up with the lack of energy, the aching knees, the high blood pressure etc

I started eating 4 small meals a day and snacked on fruit. I'm 7 stone lighter now and a size 12/14. I'd like to lose another stone but it's getting really hard to shift now but I'm not giving up. These days I can walk and cycle for miles, my blood pressure is normal and I feel fitter and look younger than I did 10yrs ago. I wish I'd got my fat arse into gear sooner, all those wasted fat miserable years I'll never get back.

Anyone who knew me back in my fat days probably assumed I'd accepted my size and was happy with it, we're good at fooling ourselves and other people.

Aside from how I look, it's how I feel and how healthy I am that's more important and I feel miles better. Being so overweight is so uncomfortable and the accompanying lethargy is horribly draining.

OP, take a look in your cupboards and chuck out anything that's too high in fat and sugar. Don't cut your food intake by anything too drastic, make your meals a little smaller and snack on fruit but to even lose a stone will give your energy levels a boost and make you feel so much better. Fill half your plate with either veg or salad for your main meal. Little changes make a big difference to how you feel.

Well done. I don't mind the larger ladies so long as it's proportional. I'm a boob man so if the big girl had big boobs i'de love that:)
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I was sexually abused by my father as a child and when I finally was removed from that situation, I used food to hide my body. It was a confusing time because as a teenager I liked boys and wanted to be liked by them, but my overriding instinct was to 'pad' myself. Protection I guess? It's now 30 years on and I'm just getting a grip on my eating habits, giving up the sweets because they're my comfort and they just make me eat more than I should. As much as the weight has done some harm to my body (my knees mainly), I think addiction to food was the lesser of evils compared to drugs or alcohol.

I know a girl that did exactly the same took her about 30 years too, xx
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be slim but have put on weight since starting on a cocktail of medication, including lithium.

I have not accepted it yet, I wish I could, but I hate myself at the minute.

Bipolar?
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    I know a girl that did exactly the same took her about 30 years too, xx

People have to heal on their own terms. I don't like to think of all those years as wasted, I had friends and family who loved me, and I have two beautiful children.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    People have to heal on their own terms. I don't like to think of all those years as wasted, I had friends and family who loved me, and I have two beautiful children.

I think I find it hard as I feel guilty that my life's not that bad and there are people far worse off than me so how did I get into such a state of feeling sorry for myself and let things get so out of control
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    I think I find it hard as I feel guilty that my life's not that bad and there are people far worse off than me so how did I get into such a state of feeling sorry for myself and let things get so out of control

We all have our demons. All I can say is you'll know when the time is right for you to change. x And don't be afraid to ask for support.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fat.

I'm a size 18 and I'm 5 ft 7in. I currently weigh 13 and a half stone. However my BMI says I'm overweight. I feel huge though. This time last year a size 22 was tight on me and I had to buy my first and only size 24 trousers. That was the moment I knew I had to get weight off again. However I have a dangerous relationship with food. I have yoyo-ed between a size 6-24.

So when I start a diet I am terrified I am going to stop eating again etc. I have lost 4 stone in a year, slowly, safely etc. However, again I feel I am not losing enough and not quick enough.

I did notice the other night my engagment ring fell off my finger, yet its felt tight today. horrid circle.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    deev1ne0ne wrote: »
    Bipolar?

Hypomanic, aye.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm a fatso and have been for over 40 years.

I have PCOS, a medical condition where weight is a problem to shift.

I wear clothes that fit me properly, none of them 'dig in', are uncomfortable, look like tents or are tight and clingy either. I won't go out unless I look right and feel comfortable. I don't get hotter than the average person in warm weather, I don't even sweat.

I think a lot of confidence comes with age. I used to be embarrassed about my size and felt awkward. Summer used to be a nightmare, with me wearing heavy jeans and a thick cover-up long sleeved shirt at least - even on the beach. Now, I wear nothing more than a pair of cropped lightweight jeans or trousers and a T-shirt and it's a delight.

I accept myself completely. Anyone who doesn't, I couldn't give a 4X about, to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sexually abused by my father as a child and when I finally was removed from that situation, I used food to hide my body. It was a confusing time because as a teenager I liked boys and wanted to be liked by them, but my overriding instinct was to 'pad' myself. Protection I guess? It's now 30 years on and I'm just getting a grip on my eating habits, giving up the sweets because they're my comfort and they just make me eat more than I should. As much as the weight has done some harm to my body (my knees mainly), I think addiction to food was the lesser of evils compared to drugs or alcohol.

I also had problems with boys, I wanted to be liked but was not comfortable with sex and being felt up and being expected to give blow jobs etc. Boys really do need to be taught to treat girls better. No one pays any attention to me in that way now, which 99% of the time is ok with me.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    its odd - my reaction to being raped was the opposite of the ones catalogued here - anorexia nervosa

its odd how both problems are food related.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A short-term specific diet may make you miserable, but a long-term lifestyle change will probably have the opposite effect.

I've put on a bit of weight as I get older, I'm not overweight but it's certainly going in the wrong direction and it's mainly down to exercise or more to the point lack of...

The problem is I've grown lazy and really can't get motivated to even start any sort of regime. I would cycle to work but at twenty miles each way it's outside the distance I would want to do.

Coupled with the fact that I'm not keen on fruit and only eat most vegetables under protest it's not going to be easy to change...

My wife and I go on quite long walks in the summer, upto ten/twelve miles, but that's somewhat weather dependent and also has to fit in with our relatively busy lives, but I really need to make time to do more.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a fat child and even bigger adult when I hit 20 stones I became ill with it, and realised my happiness with my being fat was just BS and I was actually happy despite being fat.

I have lost 5 stones and am far happier within myself.

I wouldn't say everyone should do what I am if they are truly happy, but if they do become ill with the weight then they do need to look at whether they can carry on as they are.

I think it's a personal thing though and not something people should be judged on and when/if people decide they need to lose weight there should be far more help for them than there is at present.

It's also not helpful people saying eat less move more even if it is true.
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are comfortable being a large lady just ignore any negative comments you get. However, I would have some health checks perhaps a test for diabetes or get your blood pressure checked. Dawn French has always been happy being big until she realised it was impacting on her health.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    If you are comfortable being a large lady just ignore any negative comments you get. However, I would have some health checks perhaps a test for diabetes or get your blood pressure checked. Dawn French has always been happy being big until she realised it was impacting on her health.

I think being obese is just a waiting game. Many can carry their weight and be happy with no consequences health-wise, but by about age 40, it will start to take its toll on your joints and of course if your mobility is at risk, it only goes downhill from there if you don't get a handle on it. So you can be happy being a big person, but it will eventually catch up to you. We don't see many elderly people who are obese, and while I'm not saying living until you're 90 is the be-all/end-all of things, it's something to think about.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think being obese is just a waiting game. Many can carry their weight and be happy with no consequences health-wise, but by about age 40, it will start to take its toll on your joints and of course if your mobility is at risk, it only goes downhill from there if you don't get a handle on it. So you can be happy being a big person, but it will eventually catch up to you. We don't see many elderly people who are obese, and while I'm not saying living until you're 90 is the be-all/end-all of things, it's something to think about.
    Very true and once your mobility becomes affected it's much harder to start losing weight. I really wish I hadn't waited.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    Any plus size women here who have sort of accepted your size?
    Are you happy being big?
    I'm in my late 30s, always been over weight, but I've now reached a size 24.
    I guess I do feel a bit miffed but at the same time I've just accepted it.
    I have no desire to lose weight.
    I do A LOT of walking at work (9 hour shift) and when I come home all I want to do is collapse =/
    How the hell am I meant to 'go for a jog' or do some exercise?
    I think I like food too much too. I don't go overboard , Im not a big meat eater, and I don't cover everything in butter or fat.

Any other women ?

Not interested in any fat haters comments , save your breath :)

No judgment OP, but isn't just accepting your weight dangerous for your health? Depending how tall you are you may be classified as 'obese', and therefore are more prone to diabetes, heart disease, strokes etc

To be completely honest, if you're a size 24, you must be going 'overboard' somewhere, and identifying where that is might help you, no?

I'm genuinely not trying to have a go at you, if you were my friend I'd be worried about you.
  • Options
    jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Im not a big meat eater, and I don't cover everything in butter or fat.'

Maybe you should!

I am currently on a low carb diet - eat plenty of meat, cook with oils etc plus greeen leafy veg and berries.

The weight is literally falling off me and I've never felt better.

Its probably all the low fat products and bread / pasta / rice / cereal that we are conditioned to think are 'good for us' that are not. They are full of sugar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I used to be a size 22/24. I was as miserable as sin. I could never accept my size and I couldn't seem to do anything about it either. I was a comfort eater, I rarely ate meals but I snacked all day long and just got heavier and heavier. I ate what was obviously a dodgy burger in January 2010 that made me ill for 3 days, of course I lost a few pound and something just clicked and decided I'd had enough of being miserable and was totally fed up with the lack of energy, the aching knees, the high blood pressure etc

I started eating 4 small meals a day and snacked on fruit. I'm 7 stone lighter now and a size 12/14. I'd like to lose another stone but it's getting really hard to shift now but I'm not giving up. These days I can walk and cycle for miles, my blood pressure is normal and I feel fitter and look younger than I did 10yrs ago. I wish I'd got my fat arse into gear sooner, all those wasted fat miserable years I'll never get back.

Anyone who knew me back in my fat days probably assumed I'd accepted my size and was happy with it, we're good at fooling ourselves and other people.

Aside from how I look, it's how I feel and how healthy I am that's more important and I feel miles better. Being so overweight is so uncomfortable and the accompanying lethargy is horribly draining.

OP, take a look in your cupboards and chuck out anything that's too high in fat and sugar. Don't cut your food intake by anything too drastic, make your meals a little smaller and snack on fruit but to even lose a stone will give your energy levels a boost and make you feel so much better. Fill half your plate with either veg or salad for your main meal. Little changes make a big difference to how you feel.

Thank you for this post. I'm a bigger girl and am struggling. Your post is very encouraging and reminds me that I have more control over these things than I think.