Options

why even on old computers do they have #? pre twitter

Comments

• Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be careful putting =rand(200,99) into MS Word. Something magical happens. Well on Word 2003 anyway
  • Options
    esquilaxesquilax Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Just be careful putting =rand(200,99) into MS Word. Something magical happens. Well on Word 2003 anyway

O͙͔͈͔̪̼̼̾ͪ͐̓͟h͕̭̘͈́̔̑͠ ̢̻̣̐m̸̟̞͕͎̱͍̰͚ͥ̏͂̒̓̀ỵ̙̇ͯ͑ͩ͐̀ͩͥͨ͠ ͉͉̱̳́ͦ̓͐g̷̷̲̼̰̟͖͈̹ͨ͗ͤ̓ͨ̀̚o̡͒̾ͫ̈́́̓̔̂͊͏̘͔̲̙̺̙͚̖d̛̹̭̰̤̾̐́̑ͦ̚͡,̸̱̳͍̗̥̆ͬͬͣ̒̐̿̀ ̵̛̦̙̜̱̙ͯ̾́̐ͥ̈́y̜̯͗̋̆ͫ͐̓̇͜͠ơ̶̙͇̠̻͙͍̪̅̈́̐̓ͦ̽̓̚͡u͂ͬ͆ͨ̐̂͒ͯ̋̀͏̵̖͎̥̯'͓̳̮̬̤̺͐́̾ͩ̄͂̋ͥ̉r̖̱̘̘̟̻̪͋̓ͨ̊ͤe̤͔͔ͪ̎͑͛ͦ͟͞ ̡̩͇ͬͭ͌r͚̮͙̠͎̟̮̱̻̆ͫ̽͋̆̄͝͡i̴̛̙̹͙͔̊ͦ̈́g̱̣͈͔̱͉ͣ̎́̊̐̑̊͂h̰͈̺̭̙̄̓͌ͤ̐ͦ̓ṫ̯̝͖̘̦̖̰͌!̝͇̞̹̬̱ͬ́͝
  • Options
    wackywwackyw Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    esquilax wrote: »
    Don't bash $( ) ;-) You can nest it. If there's a way to nest ` ` I haven't worked it out yet. (Although it's just occurred to me it might involve \ )

I wasn't really bashing ( I see what you did there ) ` `, $( ) is better, and it's less prone to copy and paste issues !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    You need all the symbols on these forums to say what the %$*# are you talking about.

Anyone know what AltGr is for ?

I don't know what it's really for, and I'm not on my work PC now so haven't got MS Word, but I think it does a really neat selection trick. If you click and drag in normal fashion your selection goes to the end of the lines as you drag down? Yes? If you hold the Alt-Gr key and click and drag it just selects the area you drag. And you can then just copy/delete just that.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

It's a shortcut key to access a Usenet group for people who are angry.
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the first things I typed learning C back in the early 80s was #include<stdio.h>
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked in burgeoning mobile phone biz in 1988 so I knew the # key was called "Hash". Most folks had no idea what the key was called and I really milked it when I was explaining some weird key sequence for accessing a sub-menu that included the hash key..... press hash.....y'know hash.... HASH..... 'cking 'ell THE SQUARE THING ONE you thicky!!! I obviously realise now what a knob I was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    I worked in burgeoning mobile phone biz in 1988 so I knew the # key was called "Hash". Most folks had no idea what the key was called and I really milked it when I was explaining some weird key sequence for accessing a sub-menu that included the hash key..... press hash.....y'know hash.... HASH..... 'cking 'ell THE SQUARE THING ONE you thicky!!! I obviously realise now what a knob I was.

:D

That reminds me of the agony of trying to explain the 'underscore' in my email address I had to give to my father over the phone for the first time. What a nightmare :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

That reminds me of the agony of trying to explain the 'underscore' key in my email address I had to give to my father over the phone for the first time. What a nightmare :(

I feel for you ! and it shouldn't be a "shift" key either, it should have been in the first division instead of the - .
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a pain, especially as a programmer. Alt + 3. It's burnt itself into my mind now.

Thanks, I forgot the code! Previously, I was googling "hashtag" and then copying and pasting it onto my forms lol
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember someone asking whether @ had a proper name because he was tired of calling it 'curly symbol'. :D

He really didn't know it was a symbol for 'at'. Didn't even noticed the 'a' in the middle, either.

I don't know if it's just a London thing, but @ used to be commonly seen on price cardboards in a street market, wasn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I remember someone asking whether @ had a proper name because he was tired of calling it 'curly symbol'. :D

He really didn't know it was a symbol for 'at'. Didn't even noticed the 'a' in the middle, either.

I don't know if it's just a London thing, but @ used to be commonly seen on price cardboards in a street market, wasn't it?

I think it's real meaning is "each at".
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Not a Columbo fan? ;)

Ah, pop culture reference. Google is truly my friend.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wackyw wrote: »
    I think it's real meaning is "each at".

You're correct. I forgot it was '(number) (products), each at (price)'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    It's called a pound sign in America. They have it on phones for use during connecting to an extension number.

I've heard it being used that way in America. It makes me curious

So would they assume our currency is #10.50 instead of £10.50. And what would they call the pound sign we know of
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter didnt invent #
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,602
    Forum Member
    I've heard it being used that way in America. It makes me curious

So would they assume our currency is #10.50 instead of £10.50. And what would they call the pound sign we know of

No because the # symbol when used in that way refers to pounds weight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »

Ahhh that makes more sense.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or to put it another way - twitter would have hardly decided to use a symbol that didn't exist, would they?

unlike the euro inventors. We don't got a funny little E

[edit. well blow me down, the euro symbol is alongside the 4 on this kb (Logitech wireless). no idea how to get it to print though

didn't know the # was called a pound sign, but when your ANSI settings get screwed the # comes out as a £ doesn't it. They must both be capital 3's if you will.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheruman wrote: »
    When I read the thread title I nearly lost Ctrl.

There's no Esc from bad keyboard puns.

that's good. Now | down.

that'll confuse the tiddlers. ~~~~
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not actually the musical notation for a sharp, to those who were saying that. That's a similar symbol but the horizontal lines of the hash symbol would be angled slightly - the reason being that the sharp symbol has to sit on the stave to tell you which key the music is in, and you wouldn't be able to see the horizontal lines if there was a sharp in any of the notes between the lines of the stave i.e. F, A, C and E on the treble clef.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For keys that have three symbols on them it's used to obtain the third symbol (usually lower right).
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    It's not actually the musical notation for a sharp, to those who were saying that.
    It is for guitarists !!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »

So did the £ originally (in fact, both symbols are bastardisations of "Lb") - it was the value of one lb of sterling silver.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    My granddad used to tell me they had fingers before typewriters. But he never told me what they used them for....