Options

time to axe pensioners bus passes?

Comments

• Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The friend does work. As its two buses from two different companies its 25 a week for 1 bus pass and 18 for the other bus company.

But that's still not £14.00 per day is it.

buy a 7 day pass for £25,00 a week and use for 5 days - £5.00 per day
    buy a 7 days pass for £18.00 a week and use for 5 days - that's 3.60 per day
    Add it up and its £8.60 per day - use both your 7 day passes for 6 or 7 days and the price per day will go down in pro
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,858
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The freedom pass scheme in London - which is of course far more generous as it covers the tube/rail as well - costs about £320m a year. I think the overall cost nationally isn't far off £1bn.

I don't know how those costs are estimated. How do they know when a Freedom Pass is being used? Also, if people with Freedom Passes had to start paying, very many wouldn't be travelling, so there would be no extra revenue.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not always free off peak, most councils have it anytime.

Well it is harming other people that have to pay higher taxes and bus fares in order to pay for all this free travel that is unaffordable.

What's wrong with wanting a fairer society where governments don't pander to the grey vote while screwing the young?

Didn't you have a free pass when you went to school? Have you recently had to give it up or something?

Don't take it out on the elderly. They deserve their free passes.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,554
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Have the bus companies had to put their prices up because of pensioners using their free bus pass, because that is what you were claiming
    He has no answer to that because it is simply not true. The price of bus travel has been going up above the rate of inflation for donkey's years. Accelerated of course by the Tories deregulation of the buses in the mid 1980's which has proved to be yet another Tory Privatisation Disaster where we were promised more buses and cheaper services due to competition, in reality bus services are now in the hands of just a few large operators and in most places there is no local competition and prices have rocketed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    But that's still not £14.00 per day is it.

buy a 7 day pass for £25,00 a week and use for 5 days - £5.00 per day
    buy a 7 days pass for £18.00 a week and use for 5 days - that's 3.60 per day
    Add it up and its £8.60 per day - use both your 7 day passes for 6 or 7 days and the price per day will go down in pro

14 something is the day price. Obviously weekly tickets are cheaper but doesn't help if you work part time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    He has no answer to that because it is simply not true. The price of bus travel has been going up above the rate of inflation for donkey's years. Accelerated of course by the Tories deregulation of the buses in the mid 1980's which has proved to be yet another Tory Privatisation Disaster where we were promised more buses and cheaper services due to competition, in reality bus services are now in the hands of just a few large operators and in most places there is no local competition and prices have rocketed.

Already answered, twice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't you have a free pass when you went to school? Have you recently had to give it up or something?

Don't take it out on the elderly. They deserve their free passes.

They deserve political sweeteners rather than a decent pension?
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So, why not a decent pension, and a bus pass??
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »
    I don't know how those costs are estimated. How do they know when a Freedom Pass is being used? Also, if people with Freedom Passes had to start paying, very many wouldn't be travelling, so there would be no extra revenue.

Freedom passes are issued on oyster cards. Every journey is recorded so it's very easy to work out the cost which is based on a marginal cost model developed by Transport for London I believe.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just think when pensioners today were young buses were very few and far between, which is why we mostly walked to wherever we wanted to go or we got on our bikes and rode there. Maybe that's something todays young could try.

You don't really believe bus fares will go down if they get rid of concessionary bus passes do you ?
    Considering how people are expected to find work up to one and half hours public transport commuting distance on JSA, the equivalent distance you could go from where I live would take up to 12 hours to walk and many hours to bike. How practical is that for a daily commute when people are expected by the jobcentre to find work many miles away or face sanctions?

And considering the numbers of people outside of college and school buses who travel the buses, if we get rid of funding for elderly and disabled bus passes, the only thing that will go are the buses!

There are rumours of severely curtailed or abolished services here come the end of the year with the council negotiations due in August to ensure we still have a bus service! Another consequence of local cuts.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't begrudge them getting either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14 something is the day price. Obviously weekly tickets are cheaper but doesn't help if you work part time.

How many days a week does she work
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    So, why not a decent pension, and a bus pass??

The current system is already unaffordable and each year its getting worse. Someone will have to pickup the tab for the debt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People don't have to reapply.

They just have to apply once get a five year card, a new one is automatically sent out. As its free they did apply as its handy every so often like when dropping the car off for a mot.

So who knows better you who according to your profile are 17 or me who last week sat with my Husband when he had to REAPPLY on line - I mean I was actually with him when he DID IT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current system is already unaffordable and each year its getting worse. Someone will have to pickup the tab for the debt.

And, will removing the free bus pass reduce the pension debt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who knows better you who according to your profile are 17 or me who last week sat with my Husband when he had to REAPPLY on line - I mean I was actually with him when he DID IT

Yup almost sure we will have to re-apply quite soon...
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are pensioners more important than the young?

Have you ever thought about the health affects of people who are still living at home in their 30s, can't afford a car, huge uni debt and can only get a low skilled job?

...and can walk or cycle places. Like their local doctor's surgery, which they don't need to because they're young and healthy.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering how people are expected to find work up to one and half hours public transport commuting distance on JSA, the equivalent distance you could go from where I live would take up to 12 hours to walk and many hours to bike. How practical is that for a daily commute when people are expected by the jobcentre to find work many miles away or face sanctions?

And considering the numbers of people outside of college and school buses who travel the buses, if we get rid of funding for elderly and disabled bus passes, the only thing that will go are the buses!

There are rumours of severely curtailed or abolished services here come the end of the year with the council negotiations due in August to ensure we still have a bus service! Another consequence of local cuts.

Obviously I wasn't talking about young people walking or going on a bike when traveling long distances.

Maybe I should have made it clearer but I didn't think for one minute that anyone would come to the conclusion that I was saying young people should walk for up to 12 hours a day.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Oh please most pensioners these days have a net worth and lifestyle that the majority people below 30 can only dream of.

Didn't retire until your 66, weren't you lucky young people now won't retire until their 80s.

Do you blame your grandparents to their face, do you also blame your parents for bringing you into this hard unfair unjust world.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well you don't re apply here, I know because last week my nan was upset when her late husbands new card was automatically sent out. He died 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why shouldn't they be axed? Why should the poorest people in society pay for this perk that they will probably never get?

Why won't they get it and how are the poorest paying? Isn't it paid for through taxation, of which the "the poorest people in society" are net recipients?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andykn wrote: »
    ...and can walk or cycle places. Like their local doctor's surgery, which they don't need to because they're young and healthy.

People in their 60s are unable to cycle? Young people never get unwell? Please do tell me more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andykn wrote: »
    Why won't they get it and how are the poorest paying? Isn't it paid for through taxation, of which the "the poorest people in society" are net recipients?

Only if you've got kids.

These passes will not exist for people below 40.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The friend does work. As its two buses from two different companies its 25 a week for 1 bus pass and 18 for the other bus company.

And how exactly will removing some pensioners from the service help your friend?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if you've got kids.

These passes will not exist for people below 40.

You are wrong and don't seem to be able to answer the point. You don't need kids to get housing benefit or council tax benefit.