Options

Inspector De Luca BBC4 22nd March?

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    I'm sure some will find fault but I really enjoyed that. Not a bad story and stylishly filmed against the backdrop of Fascist Italy.

It's quite rare to see war time drama from the losers and it's interesting if this does have some German connection in the making of it.

I thought it was better than last week
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who is watching it? On until 22:50.
    Well, obviously not you. :)

I enjoyed this week's much more than last week's.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this again last night.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, much better and very interesting backdrop to the main story.

I think it suffers a bit from the same problem that I had initially with Mentalbaldy, too many characters that have unexplained statusses, Count this, Professor that are dropped into the plot as though we're meant to understand who they are before being introduced in person. But, while with IM, there were plenty of episodes to get used to the "mafiosa" family names, here, because the plots and locations are standalone, we don't get a chance.

K
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    Yes a lot better than last week.
    I almost didn't watch because of the first poor episode
    But I just watched the latest on iplayer
    The roads and buildings and vehicles and scenery looked so much like it could have been war-torn Italy
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 49,082
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    I've yet to watch last weeks, but haven't watched the 12 episodes of Salamander either!

I recorded the Salamander series too but I only watched two episodes. Deleted the lot yesterday as I'm running out of space on the pvr, and I found it old fashioned. It was interesting to hear Flemish spoken though as I don't think I had before.

Thought the second Inspector De Luca was ok.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I am going to be an Italian police inspector. They seem to have an endless amount of beautiful women throwing themselves at them.
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I only noticed Dannunzio, and I thought he was speaking English. In fact, the dubbing was so distracting, I found myself trying to match his lip movements with the subtitles at the expense of following the plot! :)

Still, it seems to be a requirement in Italian cop dramas that at least one actor/actress speaks their lines in English which is then dubbed into Italian (like Livia in Montalbano).

Thank goodness we don't have to suffer German TV where all foreign language drama is dubbed.

I have quite a few Deaf friends in Germany. They all say watching TV over there is a nightmare and are amazed at the amount of subtitling there is available in the UK. In fact I read a report from the RNID (as it was called then) showing that the % of subtitling in Europe was the highest in the UK with, surprise, surprise Germany coming bottom of the list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ep1 officials:

INSPECTOR DE LUCA (SAT 2101) 1.04m

K
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    But I just watched the latest on iplayer
    The roads and buildings and vehicles and scenery looked so much like it could have been war-torn Italy

Removed it from the planner after the 1st episode and didn't feel it could improve. But given the comments, I may give it a second chance on iplayer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Removed it from the planner after the 1st episode and didn't feel it could improve. But given the comments, I may give it a second chance on iplayer.

I didn't like the first one so had no intention of watching the second. MrsBK thought the first was crap but enjoyed the second one. She reckons it's worth a watch so I'll download it and see. She told me to stick with Ripper St when I bailed on that so she is right on some things sometimes.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the first one, it was a bit long, but otherwise okay. I'm partway through the second one (Carte Blanche), and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't watching because I think Inspector De Luca's kinda cute. :D He looks like Michael Paré with a bit of Jeffrey Jones thrown in for good measure. Not that JJ is handsome, but in profile there's a slight resemblance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He looks like Michael Paré with a bit of Jeffrey Jones thrown in for good measure.

Not heard of either, so Googled them and came up with this
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    grey wrote: »

The first episode (unlike the other 3) was based on a book (Indagine non Autorizzata) by Carlo Lucarelli that doesn't feature de Luca and hasn't been translated into English.

I'm wondering whether the final one, Via Delle Oche, will feature a darts match.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Not heard of either, so Googled them and came up with this
    Oh dear.

Michael Paré was the star of Eddie and The Cruisers, not sure how well known that film is here.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I fell asleep through the first episode, just catching the end of it, but this episode was much, much better. It's an interesting, if somewhat confusing, side to the war ... but I think I know who is siding with whom ... at least I think I do!:confused::D Looking forward to next week's episode anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought tonite episode was really good. He's so handsome as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff, not your usual cop drama by any means. Glad I stuck with it.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No dubbing this week I think

The girl was played by a Romanian actress but apparently she can speak fluent Italian

The British sergeant was played by an Australian-Italian actor
  • Options
    sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    capekdeh wrote: »
    I thought tonite episode was really good. He's so handsome as well.

He is very handsome. I wish I looked like that.
  • Options
    sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Excellent stuff, not your usual cop drama by any means. Glad I stuck with it.

K

Me too. I think the stories are interesting and engaging and I find it interesting too see the combination of the gregarious italian temperament living in a fascist era.

I hope there are more of this series to come. I would never have been the type of person to switch on BBC4 if it wasn't for these eurocop type series. I love Montalbano, Young Montalbano, Salamander, Spiral, Romanzo Criminale on Sky Arts and Braquo shown on FX. The israeli series on Sky Hatufim was excellent too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The British sergeant was played by an Australian-Italian actor

That's interesting. I assumed he was an Italian putting on a deliberate English accent.

The mixing of Italian and English in the same sentence seemed a bit Allo Allo to me. :)

But all in all, an enjoyable programme that kept my attention, though I had trouble on occasion keeping up with exactly who was who.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the chronology of the series, illustrating how awkward it could be for an ordinary Joe in wartime Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturdays episode of Inspector De Luca grabbed 530k (2.78%).

That's down on Ep1 but I don't believe we ever got the overnights for the 2nd episode so I don't know whether week 3 held up or not.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sej17 wrote: »

I hope there are more of this series to come. .

Unlikely...

These episodes were made in 2008 and I'm thinking if any more were going to be made then it would have happened by now