Options

2 litre Coke bottles no more?

Comments

• Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Whilst this is obviously a bit of a con, I wonder whether there is some inadvertent logic to it.

I've always had a problem with 2L bottles of carbonated drink, unless you're going to be consuming all two litres in 'one helping' as it were.

You use a third, or half of the bottle for example and by the next day (2 days at the latest) it's all flat and undrinkable.

I'd have thought this effect would be even more pronounced with a 3 litre bottle! :o (not that I've ever seen one)

If you keep it in the fridge it will last for up to a week before going horribly flat which should be enough for one person to finish the bottle, well it is for me :D

I looked and the price for 2L coke was £1.98 and the new price is £1.85 at the moment. Because I'm quite sad I worked out that the new price should be £1.73 (We're losing 1/8 of the drink, 1/8 of 1.98 is 0.25 rounded up (0.2475 to be exact) to the nearest penny) so Coca Cola are scamming us out of 12p

It was a slow weekend :blush:
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smaller 'footprint' bottle means you can get more on the shelf...then start charging more.

That's why they're phasing out the 330ml cans for 500ml bottles. Can end up charging nearly double for the bottle, without double the filling.

Economics and money grabbing.

They aren't phasing out cans. What on earth gave you that idea? Some stores might give prominence to 500 mL but that's cause they have a higher gross profit. Cans are here to stay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in a supermarket and we reduced all our 2l bottles to clear a few weeks ago. They're almost all gone now. No customers have asked about why we only have the 1.75ml

I think I'm glad they've stopped the 2l bottles as we always used to have a glass or so left in the bottle which would go flat. But as soon as the introductory offers have ended I hope the prices don't go up too much, don't want to pay the same price for less product

Based on a number of products that have reduced their size the price will go up back to the cost if 2 litre or even higher. It's all about profits. Sod the consumer.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smaller 'footprint' bottle means you can get more on the shelf...then start charging more.
    Economics and money grabbing.

But the 1.75l bottles don't have a smaller 'footprint' than the 2l bottles.

At least not in terms of shelf space. They might be a little shorter, but not enough to make a difference really.

They probably use less plastic so will cost slightly less to produce.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a sly way to raise the price of something (or the profit margin) without actually raising the price. :) Manufacturers do it all the time when they 'rebrand' something and put catchphrases like "new and improved" or "tastier" or "even better than before!" on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    manufacturers must think we were all born yesterday.

wasn't something similar happening with chocolate bars getting smaller/less bars in multi packs

and the reason: so people don't get fat - - seriously!

clearly translates to

" cause we hope your gullible fools and sit there and take this shafting like the loyal customers you are "

luckily for me I drink pepsi, but I imagine if this goes to plan for coca-cola it wont be too long before they do the same.
  • Options
    BBDefenderBBDefender Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    This is a cruel money grabbing change. More plastic used to bottle the same amount of coke in the long run as well so bad for the environment etc. The "reason" they give is as always a joke and shows they think of their customers as gullible :p

Anyway its up to the buyers if this succeeds or not so we shall see. One thing I have noticed is supermarket staff seem to voraciously defend the new bottles??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I refuse to buy the new size bottles as long as they are the same price or more.

But I know Coke addicts who would pay £5 a bottle if they had to & Im sure they are probably the majority!
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2 litre bottles always go flat anyway by the bottom.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes but only if one or two people are drinking from the bottle. They are really for bigger groups of people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    We are told by CCE that they are replacing the 2 litre bottle of Coca Cola with a 1.75 litre bottle because "their research shows that supermarket shopping is changing and more people are looking for smaller, shareable packs they can fit in a supermarket basket." If anybody welcomes this from the point of view of the 2 lt bottle going flat before it's finished, the ongoing 1.5 lt bottle version may better address that. Alternatively, ensure bottle is always under constant refridgeration which will maintain fizz better.
    The capacity of the bottle may be slightly less but essentially the height of the bottles are about the same, so too are the maximum external diameters at the top and bottom halves. The bases are identical, so the trays used to transport them dont have to be changed. Clever that. Cant see that the slightly imploded bottle's going to make that marked difference fitting inside a supermarket basket really?! About the same amount of plastic will be used to carry a bit less.
    As everybody knows, the smaller a product is in a range of differing sizes, the higher the 100ml or 100gm price will be. The 1.75Lt bottles may be on a promotional offer now but as soon as it finishes you WILL be paying dearer per 100ml than you were with the 2 Lt size. I can't see that money minded people would want to go down this road but then I don't suppose they were asked if they minded that in the survey?! It would appear , as has become customary with all global giants, that this is not a case of us having what we want but more a case of us being told what they want us to have.
    Incidently, if CCE were so hell bent on replacing their 2 Lt bottles for 1.75 ones for their reasons given, does it not sound rather hypocritical that they have applied it only to their Coca Cola product and not to their other CCE products, namely Dr Pepper, Lilt, Fanta and Sprite?
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is under any false illusion, this is the real reason why our bottles are being reduced by 12%.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26252209

Profits down. Make less coke. Charge the same or more. Voila!

The loyal coke drinkers won't go anywhere, they're long addicted anyway.

The my bottle goes flat by bottom is ridiculous anyway. Wouldn't you rather have the option to drink it then be conned by a massive billion dollar company.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member

Yep. Now I've tried the 1.75L I wouldn't go back to the 2L as it tastes fresher & fizzier for the duration of the bottle. Almost reminds me of the Coca-Cola in glass bottles taste wise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Yep. Now I've tried the 1.75L I wouldn't go back to the 2L as it tastes fresher & fizzier for the duration of the bottle. Almost reminds me of the Coca-Cola in glass bottles taste wise.

Do you work for Coca-Cola? :D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 litres is too much anyway, people just don't guzzle gallons of coke like they used to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks. I haven't laughed so much in years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    2 litres is too much anyway, people just don't guzzle gallons of coke like they used to.

So that's an excuse for fleecing us out if 250ml?
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Do you work for Coca-Cola? :D

No :D I just found only the first 5/6 glasses in big bottles tasted really good and invariably chucked away the last few glass fulls.

MTUK1 wrote: »
    Thanks. I haven't laughed so much in years.

I can't quite believe that:p
    I honestly think it tastes better, I'm not a big fan of the 500ml bottles either, that's too fizzy:blush:
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Buy cans ;)
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I still see piles of the 2 ltr bottles at the super market. The only place that sells coke I don't see them is my local corner shop, they've moved to the smaller ones.

Even if they did it wouldn't stop me, nothing would make me go to pepsi, even if Coca Cola stopped trading I'd rather go cold turkey than drink pepsi, but that's just me :D

Wait until the headaches hit.

You will feel differently then.

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where do you get 3 litre bottles? i've never seen them

Iceland are doing 3 of the 3 litre bottles for £5 at the minute. Watch out though, quite surprising how heavy 3 of those are to carry :o:D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    So that's an excuse for fleecing us out if 250ml?

The company is moving with the times. They aren't fleecing you out of anything. No one is forcing you to buy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    The company is moving with the times. They aren't fleecing you out of anything. No one is forcing you to buy it.

Stop believing the spin that multi national companies come out with. They are fleecing you out of something if they reduce the size and keep the price the same or increase it. There is no way whatsoever anyone can say otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No :D I just found only the first 5/6 glasses in big bottles tasted really good and invariably chucked away the last few glass fulls.

I can't quite believe that:p
    I honestly think it tastes better, I'm not a big fan of the 500ml bottles either, that's too fizzy:blush:

LOL! It tastes exactly the same. The bottles are made out of the same plastic it's just we're getting less for our money. You sound like you've been hypnotised by Coca Cola.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We stopped by bottles coke years ago. The cans are a million times better as you never have to put up with any flat Coke. A 2l bottle is ok if you're with a group of people and you're going to all drink the whole bottle that night.