Options

Do people still use their garage to park in?

fafa's girlfafa's girl Posts: 107
Forum Member
Just a thought.... and I have no affiliation either way...

But it seems like 15/20 years ago a lot more people were parking their car in their garage. Nowadays I don't think I know anyone who does (I don't have a garage so couldn't even if I wanted to!)

Are garages nowadays becoming more of a storage point rather than for cars?

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cars tend to be much bigger than they were 20+ years ago, whilst builders like to cut the size of garages as its not a feature whose dimensions tend to go on the house details when being sold, same as gardens.
    Does seem ironic though that you'll get £20k cars sat on the road whilst the garage is home to just a few hundred quids worth of tools and other stuff not important enough to keep in the house:)
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to have a garage. If so, I'd still have my ZZR, which after being parked outside in all those snowy winters a few years back died a death.

So for a start motorcyclists definitely still use garages.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me people don't even park in their drives any more, never mind their garages.

The streets in the village where I live are cluttered with parked cars and vans, yet most houses have a drive that will hold at least three cars, but these driveways are empty.

We park in our drive but not the garage.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I park the car on the drive. I use the garage for a workshop and general storage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I park the car on the drive. I use the garage for a workshop and general storage.

This ^^ - my car wouldn't fit in my last garage.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I keep all my junk down at one end, and manage to squeeze my car into the rest. My neighbour, cut his garage in half and made a utility room out of one end, but the remainder is too small to fit a car.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The previous owners of my 2-bed semi converted the garage into a dining room which is a much better use of the space and, I think, adds value to the house. Everyone else I know just uses their garage for storing junk. My junk now has to fit into the shed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents still use their garage. I don't have one, but I wish I did. Parking in my area is a pain.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a garage with my past 3 houses, but never put the car in once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    We converted our garage and turned it into a home office and downstairs toilet which I am posting from right now. It's improved the value of the house and stops you turning the space into a dumping ground. Anything we want to keep either goes into the shed or into the loft.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My garage has not had a car in for donkeys years, we once parked a car in it but I was the only one who could park it inside due to my husband then not being able to open the door wide enough to get out.

Mine is full of gardening stuff and junk that should be tipped.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    The answer to the question is:

Some people do, some people don't.

Fact.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many garages on relatively new housing estates are totally inadequate for a car as they are hardly wide or long enough to fit a Ford KA, anything bigger there is no chance. Even if you get the car in there is no hope of opening the doors to get out.

The main aim these days is to fit as many houses to the acre as they can, never mind the quality, cut the width.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,253
    Forum Member
    I don't own a garage but rent two from the council for my cars. My parents do the same. I have never left my car outside overnight except when on holiday.
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Has to be no more than 20% of people who do these days, probably less.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Love wrote: »
    Has to be no more than 20% of people who do these days, probably less.

Where do you get your statistics?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »

Yes, I'd like to see the evidence of this myself. Preferably on a pie chart please.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my garage to park my car in. Before a garage i had cola, rubbish and all sorts of crap on the roof. Glad i got one. I store a few things in the back but my car fits in it.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone I know spends £400 a year renting a garage and then store all their junk in it, old sofa, unused kids toys and other assorted redundant items, over the course of the next ten years that'll be £4000 to store worthless junk, bargain!
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would use my garage so I can play opening the remote control door when I come in to my drive :), but I've got loads of junk in there I've still got to get rid off :(

And the way the person, who had my house before had the garage built, I can't get into my house from there!! :( So I'm stuck with parking on my drive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »

This one has to be made up as 64% of people who quote statistics don't have a source other than what is plucked out of their heads.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,032
    Forum Member
    I can't fit my car in my garage but I would if I could
  • Options
    esquilaxesquilax Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    My brother has often found that when he parks his car in his garage, a complete stranger will park on his drive.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do. It was an important part of why I bought this house 13 years ago. It's a tight-ish fit though.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are garages nowadays becoming more of a storage point rather than for cars?

Mine are a bit of both. The main garage is where I park my daily drive cars as it's attached to the house and has an interconnecting doorway. That garage's attic space is a different matter though, that's like an explosion in a junk shop. The stand-alone garage I built is where I keep the projects because it's my workshop and also has an inspection pit.