Options

Why does humanity must do these things

brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
Work- apart from getting money and living to work and earning money to live and get what we want why do we human need to work apart from the obvious i just stated

marriage- why do need to get married apart from passing genes onto the next generation and why do we need to accompany or have another to live with or spend the rest of our lives with

Comments

• Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Work- apart from getting money and living to work and earning money to live and get what we want why do we human need to work apart from the obvious i just stated

Because if we didn't eat we'd die?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'd say most people work because of a need for purpose and they get married out of a sense of commitment and companionship.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does humanity must do these things
    Once we separate ourselves from a hunter/gather existence then education becomes possible. This gives some of us the power to write a properly constructed sentence. ;-)

Back to the topic in hand, surely the existentialist view would be that we don't "have" to do anything. We could quite easily remain solitary animals scratching a living and either killing- or being killed by trespassers in to our territory. It's hardly an idyllic life; most probably a short one as well. It also presents something of a problem when it comes to procreation.

We might choose to do things for our own benefit, or because it benefits society as a whole which then benefits us as a consequence. Living in groups improves our chance of survival. Working as a community improves our chance of survival. The rest is just refining a point.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this the original meaning of Troll?

Anyway, to answer the question proply:
    is get oft bored no worky, all play. best life work balancing, dignitise manual labour, no circles round and roundy up the wall and in the hospital though, one is born and then is poppit
    Got that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because if we didn't eat we'd die?

Pretty much, and....
    marriage- why do need to get married apart from passing genes onto the next generation and why do we need to accompany or have another to live with or spend the rest of our lives with

You don't HAVE to get married. People CHOOSE to, it's a matter of choice.

Seriously? Is this really how far standards have slipped now? Or can we genuinely blame this one on the school holidays? I can't even begin to understand the logic behind these anymore...
    Is this the original meaning of Troll?

I hope not. This is about as artistic as a fart. But at least farts serve a purpose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

I guess progress and reproduction are two fundamental concepts of human nature that clearly elude you.

Of course, people can sit in their bedrooms masturbating all day, only to venture out to sign on which then gives answers to both of your questions.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Life isnt really supposed to be about work. I mean imagine that. We are an intelligent species, on a planet that is a one in a trillion trillion chance of life...and we spend that gift of the cosmos on working for 60 years out of 80.

The only people who get to enjoy a true life are those who win the lottery. Maybe also if you make it big really young in life like the guy who made Facebook or something.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're cooler than Yoda, OP!

Humanity these things not must do. Humanity to do choose things.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is get oft bored no worky, all play. best life work balancing, dignitise manual labour, no circles round and roundy up the wall and in the hospital though, one is born and then is poppit

YOU are Stanley Unwin and I claim my £5!
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

You work because you need to sustain yourself, and you likely haven't the skills to hunt, skin and prepare food, nor build yourself a house. Nor are you always guaranteed to have goods to barter with that other people need, at a time when you need sustenance. Therefore you trade what you can do for a universal currency that you can exchange for what you do need, when you need them. This is called money.

Marriage? Dunno. Fk knows why I got married sometimes. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    This makes no sense. If people don't go to work, people will obviously have no money to look after themselves, their families etc.
    More facilities and every-day things wouldn't be made for us to use because there would be no-one to manufacture it.

You don't have to get married if you don't want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wait just one minute.....did you seriously just answer your own question and yet stupidly ask it anyway, despite knowing exactly why people need to work and what would happen if we don't?!

Definitely the school holidays then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life isnt really supposed to be about work. I mean imagine that. We are an intelligent species, on a planet that is a one in a trillion trillion chance of life...and we spend that gift of the cosmos on working for 60 years out of 80.

The only people who get to enjoy a true life are those who win the lottery. Maybe also if you make it big really young in life like the guy who made Facebook or something.

Twaddle.

"True life" is a constant struggle for survival against overwhelming odds and the capricious whims of cruel mother nature. It's only our technological advances that allow us more leisure time than any generation preceding us back to the dawn of our species.

It's also only due to the labours of millions that we have any saftey net at all for those that fall between the cracks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Wait just one minute.....did you seriously just answer your own question and yet stupidly ask it anyway, despite knowing exactly why people need to work and what would happen if we don't?!

Definitely the school holidays then!

Indeed, all the kids come out to play today on DS. Gonna be an interesting holiday then :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Genuinely can't understand the logic here.

What exactly do you suppose would happen if everybody just stopped working right now? Do you think these lottery winners who've stopped working would be living the same comfortable lifestyle they currently enjoy? Everything we as humans can afford to take for granted comes from the hard work of others.

Yes there will be supplies and resources for a little while, then what?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

Many people genuinely enjoy and get a huge amount of satisfaction and fulfillment from their work.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does they must pretend to be illiterate? :(
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Was the opening post written in Chinese then put through Google Translate? Appalling grammar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    In today's World we are not self sufficient, and mankind hasn't really been for thousands of years.

If you don't want to work I suppose in theory you could find a plot of land, grow your own food and raise your own livestock. But then you'd need the money to buy the land today, and to buy the livestock, seeds etc. to get started so you'd need to work to raise that cash. But then you'd need to do what is needed to cultivate your crops, process your crops, feed and look after your livestock....in other words, you'd need to still work.

And no one forces you to get married.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....and preferably a plot with an oil well on it - beneath a power station...
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

Hopefully if we transcend capitalism then for sure work as we understand it now will be completly meaningless.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people didn't work, what would they do all day? Probably hunting in the countryside for food.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some people have a calling, and they make it their job. Like wanting to save people's lives. Being an artist, making films.

Getting married is just a tradition people never used to get married a long time ago. I guess people choose a life partner to share the burden of raising kids and split the bills and to be with through all the struggles of life.
    people with difficult personalities generally don't make it in good relationships instead they have poisonous relationships and end up staying together anyway. or they might even have a good personality it's just the other person doesn't and they'll stick with them out of guilt or fear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    If people didn't work, what would they do all day? Probably hunting in the countryside for food.

Watch Jeremy Kyle?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

Which would probably last about a week. Still we could always move onto eating rats.