Options

Peaches Geldof dead (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I ain't trolling her but it's faux grief to the fore here, Obviously it's sad for her kids and family but since when did Peaches Geldof ever become an icon rather than a shake head celeb child? I'm sure many here ripped the piss not that long ago so man up and be honest and stop the ridiculous stuff.

It would certainly be interesting to see how she was perceived on here by posters (at least before the Katie Hopkins 'debate' anyway) compared to what's being written now, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read reports that it could have been a heart attack.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    People know these deaths will happen, they are impersonal, they go on year after year, campaigning has changed little, donating has helped but not changed the causes much or offered major solutions. This is about a family in the public eye in the West who most people know about. It was unexpected and the third tragedy to hit that famlly. I cant see anyone posting that excessively about it either, just making a comment or two.

And maybe the governments of those countries and other first world governments and other powers should DO MORE about it?

A nice start might be some rich celeb who spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on their pet chiwawa (sp?) adorning it wigh diamond tiaras giving it over to a community in Africa for food and health aid. You would be surprised how "little money" is actually needed to subsidise farmers and help them to keep a whole village fed for a year.

JMO

You wouldn't get many meals out of a Chiwawa:o
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ain't trolling her but it's faux grief to the fore here, Obviously it's sad for her kids and family but since when did Peaches Geldof ever become an icon rather than a shake head celeb child? I'm sure many here ripped the piss not that long ago so man up and be honest and stop the ridiculous stuff.

Could you quote a few of the faux grief posts, so we can see what it is you're referring to.

I admit I haven't read the entire thread since it has been merged but as you appear to have seen things like that and I haven't, could you perhaps give a couple of examples?
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    You wouldn't get many meals out of a Chiwawa:o

LOL, nutter!

:p
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some of us remember Paula Yates at her peak and her marriage to Bob Geldof, we remember the three daughters being born and we saw their lives unfold.
    We then saw Paula Yates get destroyed by drugs, the revelation of the identity of her father which was made very public, the death of Michael Hutchance and her own sad death. The youngest daughter is still only 17 and has know lost both her parents and her sister.
    We saw Peaches grow up, she was so like Paula, it was scary to watch, especially when drugs looked involved. She had a bizarre marriage too. Yet she settled at the age of just 23, had children, found something she truly loved and developed the career she really wanted, writing. She became articulate, a reliable, interesting presenter, she made Katie Hopkins look bad too. The reaction to her death is because it came out of nowhere in time for the six o'clock news, because poor Bob Geldof released a beautiful statement and because it doesn't make much sense right now.
    There are not obvious drugs or signs of suicide, which somehow makes it sadder because she had in fact straightened out her life and seemed to have so much to live for. She was beginning to become someone in her own right.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said, milliejo. I feel genuinely sad at this event although it does not affect me directly. I shall unsubscribe from the thread now, as it is a pity that some people feel the need to be unpleasant about something that doesn't affect them directly.
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member

I don't think I've seen one person claim to be grieving on here, what I have seen is the majority of people express how sad it is that a young woman died leaving behind 2 babies, hardly ridiculous stuff.
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    milliejo wrote: »
    Some of us remember Paula Yates at her peak and her marriage to Bob Geldof, we remember the three daughters being born and we saw their lives unfold.
    We then saw Paula Yates get destroyed by drugs, the revelation of the identity of her father which was made very public, the death of Michael Hutchance and her own sad death. The youngest daughter is still only 17 and has know lost both her parents and her sister.
    We saw Peaches grow up, she was so like Paula, it was scary to watch, especially when drugs looked involved. She had a bizarre marriage too. Yet she settled at the age of just 23, had children, found something she truly loved and developed the career she really wanted, writing. She became articulate, a reliable, interesting presenter, she made Katie Hopkins look bad too. The reaction to her death is because it came out of nowhere in time for the six o'clock news, because poor Bob Geldof released a beautiful statement and because it doesn't make much sense right now.
    There are not obvious drugs or signs of suicide, which somehow makes it sadder because she had in fact straightened out her life and seemed to have so much to live for. She was beginning to become someone in her own right.

Nice post:)
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I couldn't have put it better myself.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lovely post, milliejo.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Moany Liza wrote: »
    Hysteria? Where? :confused:

600 posts on here so far. Endless tv coverage on the news channels, front pages of the papers, lead story on the ITV news, endless speculation as to how and why she died.

A young girl died. It's sad. But she wasn't Mother Teresa or Nelson Mandela!
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really when you look at it this is all most people are saying i.e. sad for her kids and family.
  • Options
    barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    600 posts on here so far. Endless tv coverage on the news channels, front pages of the papers, lead story on the ITV news, endless speculation as to how and why she died.

Most of us relate far more to Peaches and Bob G , than Mother Theresa or Nelson Mandela !!! a lot of us are parents with children and know how horrible this event is .There's no denying her family will be gutted and a lot of young people of Peaches age will be affected .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Hysteria is an extreme emotional reaction leading to a loss of self-control and abandonment of reason.

. 600 posts on a discussion topic do not equate to hysteria
    . News coverage does not equate to hysteria
    . Media speculation about potential causes of death does not equate to hysteria

Your - and a couple of other people's - gross distortion of reality and use of emotive language is more akin to hysteria than any reaction to the sad news of Peaches Geldof's death which I have seen or heard in the media so far.

She was a well-known person from a high-profile family and she died prematurely and unexpectedly. It would be odd if there was no interest shown in such circumstances.

Digital Spy is a media-content forum. If you really don't want to have to read anything about Peaches Geldof's death, why then - out of all the possible threads available to you on this forum - are you choosing to post in a thread, clearly named to make it unambiguous that it is Peaches Geldof's death which is the topic to which it relates? :confused:
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I think you are wrong in suggesting that people are claiming that Peaches' death is a tragedy to them personally. What I am getting is more of an acknowledgement of the impact on her family as the tragedy.

Bob Geldof is a man who has a great deal of public respect and his family has endured more than their fair share of painful premature losses. I get the impression that it is that which people wish to acknowledge.

You've hit the nail on the head for me. My immediate thought was how very sad...poor, poor Bob.

I didn't have an opinion one way or the other on Peaches BUT she was a young woman...THAT is why it shocked me when I heard.

It is tragic in the way that the death of anyone, especially a young person, is tragic. Regardless of who they were, they are dead before their time. THAT is tragic.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know what thread you've been reading, but I haven't seen any grief, 'faux' or otherwise, on here, just people commenting on the death of someone in the public eye.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    Katie Hopkins is being criticised for not commenting on the death of Peaches.
    I don't really agree with that criticism as I feel if she has nothing nice to say she shouldn't say anything at all, I doubt Peaches would want fake sympathy from Katie Hopkins.
    And this is the only time I have ever vaguely agreed with a Katie Hopkins action, of course tomorrow she could come out with something terribly scathing, I hope she doesn't and remembers that 2 babies and her young husband have lost their mother and wife.

I'm no Katie Hopkins fan, but this is ridiculous. If she had written anything on Twitter, people would have attacked her for being "fake" and jumping on a bandwagon. She's kind of in a lose-lose situation with the people who insist on looking at her Twitter despite claiming to hate her.

So, she met Peaches and they clashed. Since when does that mean she has an obligation to post something on her Twitter regarding her death? In a nutshell, people are using this as another excuse to get on their high horses and proclaim to the world how utterly awful they find her.

(And usually, I'd agree with them, considering the horribly insulting things she's said in the past. But here, it's just silly and those criticizing her for this are the ones looking bad right now imo).
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people on a forum who have never met any of them - Bob Geldolf - Paula Yates -Micheal Hutchence or any of their daughters describe them as amazing people. Only because you percieve them in the the media perception of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    You've hit the nail on the head for me. My immediate thought was how very sad...poor, poor Bob.

I didn't have an opinion one way or the other on Peaches BUT she was a young woman...THAT is why it shocked me when I heard.

It is tragic in the way that the death of anyone, especially a young person, is tragic. Regardless of who they were, they are dead before their time. THAT is tragic.

Of course it is but it doesn't mean that everyone is personalising and internalising it in the way that some people are suggesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her Instagram has been removed. I hope it hasn't been deleted because one day, her boys will be able to treasure those pictures and videos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Her Instagram has been removed. I hope it hasn't been deleted because one day, her boys will be able to treasure those pictures and videos.

I'm not sure how Instagram works but if it's like Facebook and if people can comment on the posts and images posted on it, maybe it was decided just to remove her account or disable it to prevent that happening.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how Instagram works but if it's like Facebook and if people can comment on the posts and images posted on it, maybe it was decided just to remove her account or disable it to prevent that happening.

They could have removed it so that someone else could use the space when they create an account.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    They could have removed it so that someone else could use the space when they create an account.

It doesn't work like that.

They would likely have removed it on request from a family member. But then considering facebook's review policy on pages they remove, they could have removed it for any reason - it may well have been trolled, spammed or both ..
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive heard on the radio that the post mortem is tomorrow so we should know soon enough how she died