Options

What flag do you have on your car number plates ..

Comments

• Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    No flag here.

Although I quite like the Italian system with nationality on one side and the region on the other.

When the French reformed their numbering system they got rid of the last 2 letters, which accorded to the region it was from (and was the same as the first two numbers of the postcode). A great hoo-hah was raised that the Republic was stamping all over regional rights and that people from the Basque Country (64), and Alsace (67 and 68) or Lorraine (57), all with strong regional identities - and other places - wanted to retain them. So they came up with a very French compromise. The 57/64/67/68 were reintroduced, but not on the main part of the plate, so they don't form part of the registration (but still allow you to identify where the car is from).

In Belgium, the number plate is personal to you and is affixed to which ever car you drive, with no regional or age identifier.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see what difference it makes. It's just a way of identifying a vehicle. Who cares what it looks like? The way people go on about it anyone would think they were being forced to change their nationality.

I wouldn't mind but I bet half the time it's on a car that's made in another European country anyway. I couldn't even tell you what it has on mine and can't say I'm botherd.

I can't see the logic in people riding around in foreign cars then making a big issue about not having a British number plate on it.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Mine has a Welsh dragon on it - it was there when I bought the car.
    I think the garage where I bought it put it on all their number plates.

So has mine, I stuck it over the EU flag.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have a flag at all, my previous car had a euro flag on it. This one has a mitsubishi ralliart logo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    My last car had the Helghan flag on the numper
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None :(

I actually asked for EU plates (the EU stars surrounding 'UK') but the garage ignored me.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't have any flag on our plates.
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ES like all the other cars here:)
  • Options
    sominsomin Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No flag on mine. But if I bought a car that had EU flag number plates I would replace them or cover up the flag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...or if not a flag what do you have instead?

I ask because the EU wants to axe our plate system and have a common one across all member states so I guess one difference would be the EU flag stuck on the end.

I have the UK union flag which I bought and stuck over the existing EU one, what have you?

Why do people bother to do this? Especially seeing as most cars are not British anyway and you already have the EU flag on you're license photocard.
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    [/b]

Why do people bother to do this? Especially seeing as most cars are not British anyway and you already have the EU flag on you're license photocard.

As not everyone is not Pro european,And want to keep their own British identity.
    Does it matter were the car is made,its who driving it that matters, so a British person may want to put a British flag on their car.What wrong with wanting to show your national identity.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/b]

Maybe because once again the EU is trying to take over, trying to get their European superstate by the back door.
    I never had a flag on my Motorbike, just plain plates, my bike licence is still the old paper one, no photocard and if I did have a photocard, i would stick something else over those stupid stars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Nope, no need for any sticker if you have the EU flag with GB on your number plate.

Just like you never see a sticker on a foreign car, as they all seem to have the EU logo. There's only 1 or 2 countries other than the UK where the EU flag is not mandatory.

I stand corrected, thank you :)

I have read up on this plate malarkey, what a thing for them to waste their time on! I really don't care much what format my plate is in, but if they bother to enforce a change I hope it is rolled out for new cars only rather than us all have to change. An EU flag doesn't bother me, I just don't like the bright shade of blue on my red car :blush:
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...or if not a flag what do you have instead?

I ask because the EU wants to axe our plate system and have a common one across all member states so I guess one difference would be the EU flag stuck on the end.

I have the UK union flag which I bought and stuck over the existing EU one, what have you?

Will it though or is it a guess? I really don't give a dam about how my numberplate is formed so long as its legal. I do have a Cymru Welsh sticker on the back of my Discovery but not really fussed if it was there or not, my lad put it on.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    [/b]

Because they do that's why and believe it or not some still see themselves as British, Scottish or whatever and like to be identified that way on their vehicle plates instead of the Eurobland way - it's not yet a crime either.

Where the car is made is irrelevant to me and probably most others as far as plates go, the licence? you have no choice over that.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Skull and Crossbones ☠
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they do that's why and believe it or not some still see themselves as British, Scottish or whatever and like to be identified that way on their vehicle plates instead of the Eurobland way - it's not yet a crime either.

Where the car is made is irrelevant to me and probably most others as far as plates go, the licence? you have no choice over that.

And some people proud of their country,unlike some mainly the ones that like the E.U
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So do you also put a sticky label over the Euro flag on your driving license just to make you feel totally British? Seriously does it really matter? It's just a registration plate to identify a vehicle. No different than any other I.D like a barcode. Does it make you any less British? Er No.

Does a dot com email address make you any less British than a dot co dot uk email address? Seriously get some perspective. It really doesn't matter. All you're doing by sticking these stickers over your registration plate is making yourself look like you've got a chip on your shoulder over something totally insignificant.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    So do you also put a sticky label over the Euro flag on your driving license just to make you feel totally British? Seriously does it really matter? It's just a registration plate to identify a vehicle. No different than any other I.D like a barcode. Does it make you any less British? Er No.

Does a dot com email address make you any less British than a dot co dot uk email address? Seriously get some perspective. It really doesn't matter. All you're doing by sticking these stickers over your registration plate is making yourself look like you've got a chip on your shoulder over something totally insignificant.

Then just ignore, you'll come to no harm much like my plates will cause you no harm.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As not everyone is not Pro european,And want to keep their own British identity.
    Does it matter were the car is made,its who driving it that matters, so a British person may want to put a British flag on their car.What wrong with wanting to show your national identity.
    And some of us believe that our country is strong enough to retain its identity even if it's part of a larger super state. I feel a bit sad and depressed about people who think our national identity is so weak that being part of an EU superstate would destroy it. We're better than that. I think we're strong enough and good enough that we'd enjoy being closer partners and adding our own culture to the European whole. It might even give us renewed strength to spread our ideals further afield.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drue wrote: »
    And some of us believe that our country is strong enough to retain its identity even if it's part of a larger super state. I feel a bit sad and depressed about people who think our national identity is so weak that being part of an EU superstate would destroy it. We're better than that. I think we're strong enough and good enough that we'd enjoy being closer partners and adding our own culture to the European whole. It might even give us renewed strength to spread our ideals further afield.
    WE ARE THE E.U SURRENDER YOUR COUNTRIES. WE WILL ADD YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR CULTURE WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    All of these posts remind me that I must remove the corrupt EU emblem from my number plates - And regarding the union jack - no thanks.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Mainly this ^
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    And some people proud of their country,unlike some mainly the ones that like the E.U

So if you 'like' the EU, you autmatically hate your country?

You can tell the schools have broken up for Easter.