Options

Would you buy your little boy a princess costume?

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I had to look it up to check but that song is older than me and I'm 34. I doubt kids would make an association between a police uniform or Native American costume and a song that came out when their parents were little or maybe even before their parents were born.

It's a risk- you underestimate kids today. Don't go airy fairy on us now, Mickey!

The Wizard of Oz came out before my parents were born, but my daughter still likes to dress up as Dorothy (heh).
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    It's a risk- you underestimate kids today. Don't go airy fairy on us now, Mickey!

The Wizard of Oz came out before my parents were born, but my daughter still likes to dress up as Dorothy (heh).

Their's a bit of a difference between a well known family film which is repeated quite often and a 70's chart hit that's only really popular in holiday camps and gay bars.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their's a bit of a difference between a well known family film which is repeated quite often and a 70's chart hit.

If you're implying that the Village People were one-hit wonders then I shall have to ask you to step outside.
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know as it has never come up. I would think no but I really can't say for sure without one of them asking and they are way too old for that now.

However when my eldest was about two the only toy he wanted was a buggy to push his favourite teddy around in. His dad was dead against it but I bought him one anyway. It was his most played with toy for quite a while.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their's a bit of a difference between a well known family film which is repeated quite often and a 70's chart hit that's only really popular in holiday camps and gay bars.

I would be surprised if that has been played in any gay bar in 20 years, unless it was deliberately ironic.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Someone hasn't seen Despicable Me 2.

You're a bit out of touch. YMCA (and The Village People) is still very much a part of pop culture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    If you're implying that the Village People were one-hit wonders then I shall have to ask you to step outside.

I'm not old enough to remember but I think both of their hits are gay classics. I'm not aware of any other songs they're famous for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was at junior school (sixties) we used to play a game called "the war". Our school was built on a bomb site, we all knew it was a bomb site as we used to play on it before the school was built (Clerkenwell, London)

Now obviously because we were playing "the war" children played as Germans and we would go around seig heiling and goose stepping and talking in funny accents to get in character if it was our turn to play the Germans.

(Just as an aside, they were rarely the Nazis, they were the Germans)

Just wondering if that would be allowed in the school playground nowadays?

Ah, that explains a lot about you.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not old enough to remember but I think both of their hits are gay classics. I'm not aware of any other songs they're famous for.

Sex Over The Phone, Can't Stop The Music (that one even had a movie to go with it), Go West...?
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Macho macho mannnnnnn....

I got to be..a macho man..

Come. On!

Altogether now!
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently invested in some toy guns and knives for him, but he's not showing much interest at the moment. :cry: Though he's getting into the cars and trucks I've got him, so there is still some hope.

For whom ?
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Well i would not buy a little boy or a little girl a princess costume if they did not ask for it.
    If they were old enough for it, i would buy them whatever they wanted, regardless of gender. If a little boy wants a princess costume, i will let him have a princess costume. Why not? He would certainly have his reasons, like all children have when they ask for something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sex Over The Phone, Can't Stop The Music (that one even had a movie to go with it), Go West...?

I didn't know they'd done Go West, I remember the Pet Shop Boys doing that but as I said before, I'm not really old enough to remember what the village people did. All I do know is that the only songs they did that I've heard mentioned before now are YMCA an In The Navy.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And art galleries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »

I live within cat throwing distance of a gay pub so I know what music they play and I've been to a lot of holiday camps and worked at one for a short time. I've never been to an art gallery.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But isn't this then perpetuating the negative association? You and some others say it's wrong, because they'll be bullied, by other kids who are also being told it is wrong by their parents. Isn't it time to change? :confused:

You may think it's an idealistic utopia, but isn't it a positive thing to aim for, cutting down bullying behaviour?
    It is a positive thing to aim for, but how many people want to offer up their kids as the trailblazers who will have to take the most amount of shit for it? I wouldn't.

(and people, or one loud mouth in particular, who keep saying kids that young wouldn't notice the difference or say a word about it, reveal themselves to be naive and childless)
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read the rest of the thread, so bear this in mind.

No, I definitely wouldn't, not for any of my kids (two girls and a boy).

I view it my responsibility as a parent to guide my children away from decisions that may be bad for them until they're of an age to fully understand the ramifications of their choices. Even then I would try and persuade them to do what will be the best for them in my opinion.
    If they are determined to go against that and understand the consequences etc, then I'd possibly relent.
    In the circumstances the OP described, if my boy was seen or known to have dressed in a princess costume by his peers then it could make his life a misery. (Not as bad for the girls in the opposite direction, but that's the world we live in).
    The fact that it shouldn't matter is beside the point, in real life it does matter and that's what you should take into consideration for your child.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Haven't read the rest of the thread, so bear this in mind.

No, I definitely wouldn't, not for any of my kids (two girls and a boy).

I view it my responsibility as a parent to guide my children away from decisions that may be bad for them until they're of an age to fully understand the ramifications of their choices. Even then I would try and persuade them to do what will be the best for them in my opinion.
    If they are determined to go against that and understand the consequences etc, then I'd possibly relent.
    In the circumstances the OP described, if my boy was seen or known to have dressed in a princess costume by his peers then it could make his life a misery. (Not as bad for the girls in the opposite direction, but that's the world we live in).
    The fact that it shouldn't matter is beside the point, in real life it does matter and that's what you should take into consideration for your child.

BIB: Bloody hell, I'm 60 and I still haven't got my head around that.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    FlyinBrick wrote: »

I agree with the principle of what you are saying but it's too simplistic to be applied uniformly. We are assuming a male child would not know the consequences of dressing like a princess, when asking to be dressed like a princess. And that's simply not always the case, even with very young children. I do not think that as parents when children believe themselves to be strong enough to go against the grain, or have firm convictions, (that we agree that should not be ashamed of), that we shouldn't support them, and simply ask them to lay low because we know those decisions will be a source of grief.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I think theres a difference between letting your son chose to wear a princess outfit at home compared to taking photos for the whole world to see!
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    When I was at junior school (sixties) we used to play a game called "the war". Our school was built on a bomb site, we all knew it was a bomb site as we used to play on it before the school was built (Clerkenwell, London)

Now obviously because we were playing "the war" children played as Germans and we would go around seig heiling and goose stepping and talking in funny accents to get in character if it was our turn to play the Germans.

(Just as an aside, they were rarely the Nazis, they were the Germans)

Just wondering if that would be allowed in the school playground nowadays?

You sure you weren't at a summer camp organised by Conservative Future?
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more annoyed by parents plastering their kids all over social media than what said kids are wearing. Whoever it was that said a child born today has no concept of privacy was right.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I think theres a difference between letting your son chose to wear a princess outfit at home compared to taking photos for the whole world to see!

because the world would stop spinning?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

:D:D