Options

Apple seeks $40 Per 'infringing' handset againt Samsung

Comments

• Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Are we? Are you sure?

I'm disagreeing with whatever you are trying to make out tdenson said.

But as far as I can tell am pretty much agreeing with what he actually said.

What do you think tdenson?

I can't make head or tail of what Mr Sword is talking about. But I'm certainly not disagreeing with you.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Oh c'mon, that can't be true (or you have very few friends). 90% of Android owners do not "pick" Android. They buy a cheap and cheerful phone that meets their requirements regardless of O/S. Most of the rest probably go for things like the big screen or hyped up camera. It's a very small percentage of phone owners who buy primarily based upon the O/S it is running (just geeks like you and me).
    I know people like to believe and perpetuate the myth that people buy Apple products for the most shallow of reasons - it must just be a happy coincidence that Apple products do tend to be well made, well designed and intuitive to use. Maybe some people do, but I suspect its not that many. Because as the saying goes, you can't polish a turd.

Aww that's nice you two back on track now are you, email from command?

Just that earlier it seemed that one was saying that os plays no part in phone choice at all to speak of outside of geeks. Purchases are made on cheap and cheerful basis meeting their need. I wondered what sells an iPhone then as it has no notable features.

CP tried to explain briefly talking about design and other nonsense, but found it too hard and decided to move on. Then we had another attempt from tden talking about why he bought it, forgetting he dismissed geeks, he then quickly moved on too.

Now CP has again claimed very few are sold on brand alone, so confusing indeed. One says 90% don't buy based on os and buy cheap and cheerful that meet their need. The other is saying many other things are taken into account but it is not solely a brand issue.

In still confused why the iPhone sells in such numbers can't be os, so are they all happy previous customers? I wonder why that doesn't apply to android manufacturers?

But now somehow you both claim to be saying the same thing, I find this very confusing indeed, almost as if neither have a clue what you are taking about :)
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »

Just that earlier it seemed that one was saying that os plays no part in phone choice at all to speak of outside of geeks. Purchases are made on cheap and cheerful basis meeting their need. I wondered what sells an iPhone then as it has no notable features.

CP tried to explain briefly talking about design and other nonsense, but found it too hard and decided to move on. Then we had another attempt from tden talking about why he bought it, forgetting he dismissed geeks, he then quickly moved on too.

Now CP has again claimed very few are sold on brand alone, so confusing indeed. One says 90% don't buy based on os and buy cheap and cheerful that meet their need. The other is saying many other things are taken into account but it is not solely a brand issue.

In still confused why the iPhone sells in such numbers can't be os, so are they all happy previous customers? I wonder why that doesn't apply to android manufacturers?

But now somehow you both claim to be saying the same thing, I find this very confusing indeed, almost as if neither have a clue what you are taking about :)

Taking your bits in bold...

So tension said that most people buying Android are buying a (relatively) cheap phone that meats their requirement. (As opposed to buying Android solely because of the OS).

And I said something about how not many people buy an iPhone literally because they like the Apple logo.

Those two things are not contradictory at all.

tdenson has even explained to you that he didn't mean what you tried to make out he meant.

I'm not sure I posted any nonsense, let along found anything too hard and moved on.

I said something about how people's buying choice (especially for more expensive phones where cost is less of an issue) will base that decision on number of factors.

I'm not sure how you interpret something so obvious as nonsense.

You are only confused because, for some reason known only to yourself, you thought we were saying contradictory things to begin with. We weren't.
    "One says 90% don't buy based on os and buy cheap and cheerful that meet their needs. The other is saying many other things are taken into account but it is not solely a brand issue."

Those are not two different, contradictory, things.

The bits in bold are essentially saying the same thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saying something is not and showing why it is not are also two different things completely. You can say you and tden are on the same page I'm afraid all posts so far say something completely different. What are these other things that make the iPhone so popular, not including OS, you tried earlier but realised you were pushing water uphill. I think you even tried to slip price in as a criteria ;-)

All we have now from you is an agreement that 90% of android customers want cheap and cheerful while you maintain now that: "people buying more expensive ones where cost isn't an issue will take into account more factors" . So as we have already accounted for 90% of android users, you must mean iPhone users yes? So in essence iPhone users are more discerning in their choice and consider a lot more factors than Android cheap and cheerful buyers.

This is fantastic just gets better and better :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saying something is not and showing why it is not are also two different things completely. You can say you and tden are on the same page I'm afraid all posts so far say something completely different. What are these other things that make the iPhone so popular, not including OS, you tried earlier but realised you were pushing water uphill. I think you even tried to slip price in as a criteria ;-)

Well, they say different things, but those things are not contradictory, and part of those things are essentially the same, as explained above.
    All we have now from you is an agreement that 90% of android customers want cheap and cheerful while you maintain now that: "people buying more expensive ones where cost isn't an issue will take into account more factors" . So as we have already accounted for 90% of android users, you must mean iPhone users yes? So in essence iPhone users are more discerning in their choice and consider a lot more factors than Android cheap and cheerful buyers.

In a word, no.

You still seem a bit confused.

First off - 90% is your figure.

Second - where cost is an issue, they will more likely get an Android than Apple phone, for the obvious reason that there are many Android phones which cost less than the iPhone.

Where cost is not an issue, they will more likely get a more expensive phone which may be Android or Apple.

So no, unless Apple is the only company who make expensive phones (which would be news to me) then no, I don't mean just iPhone users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You still seem a bit confused. First off - 90% is your figure.

Am I, really? it would seem you are tdenson said:
    90% of Android owners do not "pick" Android. They buy a cheap and cheerful phone that meets their requirements regardless of O/S

Yet now you say I have said it :confused: so do you agree with that or not, seems now you don't again. All very contradictory and confusing for two people who completely agree.
    Second - where cost is an issue, they will more likely get an Android than Apple phone, for the obvious reason that there are many Android phones which cost less than the iPhone.
    Where cost is not an issue, they will more likely get a more expensive phone which may be Android or Apple.

Ah I see, so what you are now saying is that for 90% of android buyers cost is an issue and they choose cheap and cheerful regardless of OS. The remaining 10% choose android for other reasons other than cost such as OS. So at around 250 million android a quarter only 25 million of those choose android for no cost reason.. ok got ya.

Iphone buyers do not buy on the basis of cost and all 100% of them make a considered judgement on other factors to buy iphones including the OS, so around 30 million odd. Got ya
    So no, unless Apple is the only company who make expensive phones (which would be news to me) then no, I don't mean just iPhone users.

Largely iphone given you and tdenson are in agreement on his original statement.

It is fascinating to get into the deluded mind of iphone users :D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This item on the Amazon Phone really does hint at why we have the war on Google.
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/amazon-phone-forget-the-3d-gimmicks-its-all-about-the-price/

""They're happy to sell you a vending machine and they'll even sell you a vending machine at cost." Current Analysis analyst Avi Greengart"

They are all vending machines whether for apps, goods or ads and unless there is a something like the cartel of old, its the Amazon, Google and even the Facebook model that wins out in the end.

Innovation wins when allowed, not the limited tech offered by a cartel. I have always considered it about Samsung, the Samsung case is just the cause célèbre of Apples price fixing cartel like practices. It is even possible Samsung have benefited here, they certainly appeared to initially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I, really? it would seem you are tdenson said:

Yet now you say I have said it :confused: so do you agree with that or not, seems now you don't again. All very contradictory and confusing for two people who completely agree.

Ah I see, so what you are now saying is that for 90% of android buyers cost is an issue and they choose cheap and cheerful regardless of OS. The remaining 10% choose android for other reasons other than cost such as OS. So at around 250 million android a quarter only 25 million of those choose android for no cost reason.. ok got ya.

Iphone buyers do not buy on the basis of cost and all 100% of them make a considered judgement on other factors to buy iphones including the OS, so around 30 million odd. Got ya

Largely iphone given you and tdenson are in agreement on his original statement.

It is fascinating to get into the deluded mind of iphone users :D

Fair enough about the 90% - although I'm not sure how literally it was meant.

Other than that I think you're doing a good job if tying everything in knots, and I'd be pretty sure I'm not saying a lit of what you seem to think I'm saying.

Could you clarify what exactly it is that you think I'm saying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah now that you realise it was not me it was not meant literally, brilliant :D so do you agree though with tdensons 90%

Just did clarify, I understand your need to pretend you are confused as you are stuck between a rock and hard place now. However it seems unclear whether you are both in agreement as claimed or not, if so the only logical conclusion is my previous post.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not even going to try and untangle the twisted logic in all that, but as far as the BIB is concerned, I already gave you 4 major notable features as to why I choose my iPhone over my HTC One.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But none of those features "you" based that choice on applies, you made that ludicrous "90%" statement to not include "geeks on here" just your average user.

However like CP I can understand your 'need' to be confused ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah now that you realise it was not me it was not meant literally, brilliant :D so do you agree though with tdensons 90%

Just did clarify, I understand your need to pretend you are confused as you are stuck between a rock and hard place now. However it seems unclear whether you are both in agreement as claimed or not, if so the only logical conclusion is my previous post.

Don't know - ask tdenson. But I would imagine that 90% just meant "a lot" rather than necessarily literally 90% exactly.

No - you didn't clarify so much as try to twist what I said and put words in my mouth.

What I did say was this:

- where cost is an issue, people will more likely get a cheaper phone than an expensive phone.

- because there actually are cheap Android phones, but not cheap iOS phones, then those people are, for what should be obvious reasons, more likely to get an Android phone.

- where cost is not an issue, they will more likely get a more expensive phone which may be either Android or iOS.

If you think myself and tdenson are not in agreement, perhaps he'll reply to this post saying whether or not he agrees with the above.

For my part, I agree with what he said about people buying something based on a variety of factors, rather than simply OS or brand.

I suspect we have no problem in understanding that we are pretty much in agreement - it is only you who seems to think otherwise.

The thing that makes these discussion so painful, perhaps more than anything, is having to literally spell out stuff which you'd think would be completely obvious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But none of those features "you" based that choice on applies, you made that ludicrous "90%" statement to not include "geeks on here" just your average user.
    )

Do you not think that the world's most popular camera (as just one of those features) might influence "average users"
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Don't know - ask tdenson. But I would imagine that 90% just meant "a lot" rather than necessarily literally 90% exactly.

No - you didn't clarify so much as try to twist what I said and put words in my mouth.

What I did say was this:

- where cost is an issue, people will more likely get a cheaper phone than an expensive phone.

- because there actually are cheap Android phones, but not cheap iOS phones, then those people are, for what should be obvious reasons, more likely to get an Android phone.

- where cost is not an issue, they will more likely get a more expensive phone which may be either Android or iOS.

If you think myself and tdenson are not in agreement, perhaps he'll reply to this post saying whether or not he agrees with the above.

For my part, I agree with what he said about people buying something based on a variety of factors, rather than simply OS or brand.

I suspect we have no problem in understanding that we are pretty much in agreement - it is only you who seems to think otherwise.

The thing that makes these discussion so painful, perhaps more than anything, is having to literally spell out stuff which you'd think would be completely obvious.

The cost issue is a moot point really. Only applies if you buy the phone outright.

The majority of people get a contract where every single phone is subsidised in one way or another, free or a small upfront charge to lower the price of a contract. iPhones can be had free even on a cheap contract if you want the 5C or 4S.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So when you said you agreed earlier, you agreed to what? his definitive statement of 90% or now something you invented it be be.

You couldn't make this nonsensical squirming up.
    What I did say was this:

Ok fine you said that, tdenson said that applies to 90% of all phone sales are based on seeking either cheap and cheerful that meets need regardless of OS or specific features such as screen size etc.

So given as he states 90% of all android sales are the former cheap and cheerful with no consideration of OS, what is the feature that convinces more people to in essence choose the iphone over android? What is the feature that makes around 30 million buy an iphone given it cant be OS.

As you say you agree I'm curious, you tried to say earlier that is
    where cost is an issue, they will more likely get an Android than Apple phone, for the obvious reason that there are many Android phones which cost less than the iPhone.
    So what are they getting in this iphone, not OS, not brand (as you say) so?

Where did he say a variety of factors, please show me. He specifically said 90% (non geeks) buy a cheap and cheerful phone.

I'm not finding it painful I am finding it hilarious, that you both say you agree but post different views, comical. But again 90% of all android sales being cheap and cheerful phones is not obvious at all to me, nor is if it were true, the basis of iphones sales. Seems you are having great difficulty clarifying that too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you not think that the world's most popular camera (as just one of those features) might influence "average users"

popular is no reflection of quality and if camera was a major factor the iphone would not be the choice.

But how can it be anyway only geeks would be aware of it being the most popular camera as you say. Or are you saying that people are aware of and consider the iphone camera popularity but are blissfully unaware of what OS they are buying :o

To humour you though if you think that statement is true, what you are saying is that iphones are bought after a consideration of the features by apple customers. But 90% of android customers simply buy a cheap and cheerful phone regardless of features.

As I said earlier the deluded minds of iphone users are truly fantastic things to behold :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    The cost issue is a moot point really. Only applies if you buy the phone outright.

The majority of people get a contract where every single phone is subsidised in one way or another, free or a small upfront charge to lower the price of a contract. iPhones can be had free even on a cheap contract if you want the 5C or 4S.

This came up before - and I asked about this contract thing. Doesn't the monthly amount on contract differ depending on the phone you get?

You're also talking simply about cost, when I originally talked about cost and variety of devices by different manufacturers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when you said you agreed earlier, you agreed to what? his definitive statement of 90% or now something you invented it be be.

You couldn't make this nonsensical squirming up.

Ok fine you said that, tdenson said that applies to 90% of all phone sales are based on seeking either cheap and cheerful that meets need regardless of OS or specific features such as screen size etc.

So given as he states 90% of all android sales are the former cheap and cheerful with no consideration of OS, what is the feature that convinces more people to in essence choose the iphone over android? What is the feature that makes around 30 million buy an iphone given it cant be OS.

As you say you agree I'm curious, you tried to say earlier that is

So what are they getting in this iphone, not OS, not brand (as you say) so?

Where did he say a variety of factors, please show me. He specifically said 90% (non geeks) buy a cheap and cheerful phone.

I'm not finding it painful I am finding it hilarious, that you both say you agree but post different views, comical. But again 90% of all android sales being cheap and cheerful phones is not obvious at all to me, nor is if it were true, the basis of iphones sales. Seems you are having great difficulty clarifying that too :)

There is no nonsensical squirming.

I agreed that people buying a phone will base their decision on more than just the OS or the brand.

He did not say that 90% of all phone sales are based on seeking either cheap and cheerful that meets their needs regardless of OS or specific features such as screen size etc.

He said that 90% of all phone sales are based on seeking either cheap and cheerful that meets needs which would include a variety of factors which may include OS or specific features such as screen size etc.

He did not say with no consideration of the OS.

He said with consideration of a number of factors (of which the OS may be one).

At least that's how I read it, but if that wasn't it I'm sure he will correct me now.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That stat is rubbish. Its the worlds most popular camera on one single specific website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is no nonsensical squirming.
    I agreed that people buying a phone will base their decision on more than just the OS or the brand.

There must be as you are still doing it along with another rewrite of the facts. I have quoted his post below for you.
    90% of Android owners do not "pick" Android. They buy a cheap and cheerful phone that meets their requirements regardless of O/S
    That means the OS is irrelevant, not consider along with other things, so squirm number 1 corrected.
    He did not say that 90% of all phone sales are based on seeking either cheap and cheerful that meets their needs regardless of OS or specific features such as screen size etc.
    He said that 90% of all phone sales are based on seeking either cheap and cheerful that meets needs which would include a variety of factors which may include OS or specific features such as screen size etc.

Again same quote no OS consideration for 90% of android users, squirm 2 dealt with
    He did not say with no consideration of the OS.
    He said with consideration of a number of factors (of which the OS may be one).
    At least that's how I read it, but if that wasn't it I'm sure he will correct me now.

I will correct you, you seem to need it. The number of factors were for the remaining 10% of android buyers. Squirm 3 dealt with

Again see above quotes and complete repost below. So to be clear you have said you agreed with him but actually have reinvented what he said or had no idea what you were agreeing to in the first place. So what exactly were you agreeing with the mind boggles.

So do you agree that all android buyers (90%) want cheap and cheerful and iphone users consider all manner of things in their considered approach to a superior mobile experience.

This is becoming so embarrassing I have never seen such squirming on here before :D
    Oh c'mon, that can't be true (or you have very few friends). 90% of Android owners do not "pick" Android. They buy a cheap and cheerful phone that meets their requirements regardless of O/S. Most of the rest probably go for things like the big screen or hyped up camera. It's a very small percentage of phone owners who buy primarily based upon the O/S it is running (just geeks like you and me).
  • Options
    Forum Member

By the way as an addition to my above post, when you said
    Most of the rest probably go for things like the big screen or hyped up camera.

That didn't apply to the worlds most popular camera in any way i suppose ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no squirming - I just read it differently to you.

Way back when, this was about OS and brand, and those two factors on their own.

All tdenson really said was that people will base their decision on a variety of factors, rather than only the OS, or only the brand.

It may be that how it was worded it was ambiguous, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't what he meant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D He never said that in any way shape or form, you now wish he had said that is what you mean.

He deliberately said 90% of android users had no idea or paid no regard to the OS and simply wanted cheap and cheerful. You can keep attempting to squirm and change it to something you prefer and making yourself look ludicrous defending him or say you think he is right.

So what were you agreeing with then, your own random made up interpretation was it?

So do you still agree with his ludicrous statement..................... oooh what do you do :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he kind of must have in some way, as that's how I interpreted it.

But then I'm taking into account the original context which was a reply to a comment about people buying Android specifically because they liked the customisation that was possible.

All he really said, as far as I could tell, was that people base their decision on a variety of factors, rather than that one single aspect of Android.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Must he really!!! show me where this is fantastic.

Even after showing you the post in black and white you continue to squirm, truly amazing and you talk about painful discussions.

Your unwillingness to admit apple have any failings now extends to it supporters too, so very sad :D