Options

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

Comments

• Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Watched this on Wednesday night and i gotta say WOW!

After reading the Winter Soldier comic story, i was very impressed how they handled everything!

This was always going to feel much different then the first because it is in present day and people will just deal with it and people saying that SHIELD has to much to do with it blah blah. That is WHO he is! He is more or less regarded as a member of the SHIELD team!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    My boyfriend only very recently introduced me to the Marvel films, having watched Iron Man and Iron Man 2 in quick succession, he had me watching his boxset :p I love the Iron Man series and Robert Downey Jnr, but Captain America and The Avengers were my favourite two (Prefer Ruffalo rather than Norton as the Hulk as well). Captain America captured me in the first film, as (like someone else has said) the fact it was set in the past gave it a totally different feel, and I loved the Peggy/Steve romance.

The second one was fantastic. Went to see it last night and loved it. So much action, strong plot, a lot of killer lines from Scarlett Johannson:
    "I only look like I know everything that's going on"
    and the nod to Pulp Fiction (which I spotted before the boyfriend ;)) certainly made me laugh.
    It's a very clever film, dark in parts, and I loved it. Great casting, great acting, and great story.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    What I liked about the first one is that it was set I the past. Straightaway it made it look and feel different.

All the others whether they are Marvel, Fox, Sony and also the DC films that I've seen all look the same. They may be different cities, but they all look the same, high rise buildings, packed roads and so forth. Thor 2 being set in the UK for the Earth portions did feel different. Had it also have been in the States that would have felt the same too.

The first "Thor" also had a rural setting, which coupled with the high-fantasy
    sections in Asgard and Jotunheim, made it stand out from other superhero
    movies. The first CA movie also made the "Period superhero" idea other
    films had tried and failed ("Doc Savage", "The Shadow", the Billy Zane "Phantom" and "The League of Extraordinary
    Gentlemen") actually work.
    The idea of things having their own sphere is optimistic. Apparently Wolverine is doing a cameo in the reboot of The Fantastic Four... why? he isn't needed and it's more overkill of that character. If you want to do a meaningless cameo then how about someone else?

In the comics, this was to get fans of Hero A to buy a copy of Hero B's
    comic if Hero A guested in it. In the movies...I dunno.

I like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine,but am I really gonna go to a FF movie solely on the strenght of one cameo?
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I've obviously missed it, but where/what was the reference to Pulp Fiction?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end:
    Fury's "grave". The headstone said "Ezekiel 25:17: The path of the righteous man.."

;)
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Looks like the Marvel production line have churned out another hit.

$96m US opening weekend + $207m international = $303m in just ten days.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would rate the first captain 6/10

this one was much improved, a solid 8/10

and the post credit scene with
    Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch

was awesome!
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great sequel.

Particularly enjoyed the intimate scenes,just two characters talking, which added depth and interest, as well as the slam bang action, which was always clear rather than blinding chaotic pyromania.

Redfords| casting was intriguing for the story, conjuring the political thrillers of the 70s he starred in , like 3 days of the Condor and All The Presidents| Men.

BTW, did anyone else spot the ACTUAL Watergate Building?
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this today. Enjoyed it far more then the first Captain America movie Which imo is the weakest of all the Avengers films though not a bad film.

Winter Soldier had a more memorable story and characters. Anthony Mackie for me was the stand out as Falcon. So he may have swayed me a bit more.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Just saw it tonight and it's dull, predictable Marvel nonsense as per usual.

The first hour trots along at snails pace. I'm not sure it needed an hour of action free dialogue and character building.

The plot twists or lack there of weren't much of a surprise.

The Winter Soldier, what was the point ? He had about 10 words in the whole movie and was about as menacing as a hamster.

Using CGI to put Evans head on another body still looked cheap. If your going to do then at least get the proportions right.

At least we didn't have sit through an hour of Chicago before the story kicked in.

Over all another forgettable Captain America movie and it remains the weakest of the Avengers franchise.

Marvel hope to compete with Snyder's Man of Steel 2 by releasing it on the same day. Good luck with that, I know which of the two I'll be seeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw it tonight and it's dull, predictable Marvel nonsense as per usual.

The first hour trots along at snails pace. I'm not sure it needed an hour of action free dialogue and character building.

The plot twists or lack there of weren't much of a surprise.

The Winter Soldier, what was the point ? He had about 10 words in the whole movie and was about as menacing as a hamster.

Using CGI to put Evans head on another body still looked cheap. If your going to do then at least get the proportions right.

At least we didn't have sit through an hour of Chicago before the story kicked in.

Over all another forgettable Captain America movie and it remains the weakest of the Avengers franchise.

Marvel hope to compete with Snyder's Man of Steel 2 by releasing it on the same day. Good luck with that, I know which of the two I'll be seeing.

Sounds to me like a DC fanboy, if you wernt expecting much and calling it just more Marvel Non-sense then why go spend money/time seeing it! I know film is subjective but everything you just spewed is non-sense to me,

The character building WAS needed we learnt much more about Black Widows background in this film then in Iron-man 2 and The Avengers, Black widow is slowly becoming one of my favourite Marvel properties.

The Winter soldier IMO is one of the greatest villains Cap has ever had and the Graphic Novel is outstanding. The Fact that it WAS
    Bucky
    , added to how menacing the WS was.

IMO this is the BEST marvel stand alone film they have ever done and for a film directorial debut from the russo's AMAZING! Marvel IMO has stepped up their game and the box office from around the globe seems to like this film. The success of this film has made WB blink and it seems like soon they will be moving the BvS film.

I love both DC and Marvel,however they seem to be KILLING it in the movie business right now, WB and DC not so much. TV DC are obviously Killing that with Arrow just getting stronger and stronger with every episode where as AoS seems to slowly be getting better but it is still very suckish! The comics/Graphic novels are anybodys game but i do read more DC then Marvel in the comic world!
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Action free?!?! So you were either completely oblivious to the whole boat rescue scene and Nick Fury's car chase or you're just deliberately being sensationalist.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny, because I was never much of a fan of Cap in the comics. He just never did it for me much. But I loved the first film and this one was just...wow!!

I think one of the things I'm actually liking about the CA films is that they don't actually feel like superhero movies. The first one was a WW2 movie with a particularly strong hero and an alternate history style similar to in some ways to steampunk. CA2 is like an old-school spy thriller, but with hi-tech toys.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    deano0501 wrote: »
    Action free?!?! So you were either completely oblivious to the whole boat rescue scene and Nick Fury's car chase or you're just deliberately being sensationalist.

The five minute car chase wasn't all that exciting really.

If the movie didn't have Black Widow and Fury it would probably tank as Evan's is devoid of charisma.

Hardly surprising that it's a spring movie and not released during the summer as it would be slaughtered at the box office, Marvel cleverly release before summer to inflate it's sales.

IMO it just failed to live up the hype and is just another movie on Marvel conveyer belt :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The five minute car chase wasn't all that exciting really.

If the movie didn't have Black Widow and Fury it would probably tank as Evan's is devoid of charisma.

Hardly surprising that it's a spring movie and not released during the summer as it would be slaughtered at the box office, Marvel cleverly release before summer to inflate it's sales.

IMO it just failed to live up the hype and is just another movie on Marvel conveyer belt :).

HELLO! Have you heard this film has started to make studios rethink that statement! They have said this year that summer has started early because of THIS film! Besides if this was released in the summer it would SMASH most other releases to shreds like it or not Captain America is BIG for them and it he looks like he could well be Marvels #2 after Iron Man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CA 2 is doing extremely well, but that's as expected. Like Thor 2 & Iron Man 3 it's seeing a post-Avengers hike in BO returns compared to its pre-Avengers outing. It should match and possibly surpass Thor 2's $650m, so another weighty hit for Marvel.

The early release date hasn't done it any harm of course, but then all the studios are looking at more strategic release patterns these days. CA 2 will have Spidey 2 swinging into view soon, so it'll be interesting how these two can build up this Spring period into a lucrative pre-summer frame.

As for Cap 3/B vs S, well, one of them is bound to move. Wouldn't suprise me if one (I'd say Cap 3 at this point) gets pushed beyond summer into the autumn/winter period which last year proved very tidy for the studios.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst movie of the Marvel series. The shaky out of focus fast cut camerawork was of Bourne quality and I waled out of the last Bourne due it.

I can't say much about the action sequences as it was cutting so quickly it was difficult to see anything.

All I will say is I'm amazed he hadn't seen Star Wars by then.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Winter Soldier is fantastic.

Great to see Robert Redford on the big screen, as he is such a wonderful actor.

My only gripe is
    Falcon; he's just a rubbish Iron Man!
    :p
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    With the amount of money these Marvel movies are making they are going to start making a dozen a year. At some point the superhero bubble will burst (no sign yet though).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slight diversion: does anybody know why all the stand alone character films have had sequels (2 in the case of Iron Man) except the Incredible Hulk?

It seems odd when you consider that the Hulk is arguably the most famous & popular character in the franchise, especially to people who are not aficianados, like myself.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slight diversion: does anybody know why all the stand alone character films have had sequels (2 in the case of Iron Man) except the Incredible Hulk?

It seems odd when you consider that the Hulk is arguably the most famous & popular character in the franchise, especially to people who are not aficianados, like myself.

first hulk was terrible
    second was great but then they had to change actor

so its bit stop start but also marvel dont think the hulk character really lends itself well to individual movie. so i think he will be avenger exclusive for now with cameos(as banner mostly) in other heroes films.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the amount of money these Marvel movies are making they are going to start making a dozen a year. At some point the superhero bubble will burst (no sign yet though).
    to be fair Guadrians of the Galaxy is more Star Wards then superheroes, comic book maybe, but not superheros, so Marvel are not totally betting on superheros, even if that is most of what they own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    to be fair Guadrians of the Galaxy is more Star Wards then superheroes, comic book maybe, but not superheros, so Marvel are not totally betting on superheros, even if that is most of what they own.

They've stated many times Marvel Studios only plan to release 2 movies a year. Between the ABC and Netflix properties, they will have regular output on TV and PPV Apps. They want to branch out into martial arts using Daredevil and Iron Fist, magic with Dr Strange etc

The plan is not to make superhero movies, but genre movies with superheroes in them. Marvel Comics has been going now for decades and they have plans for TV/movies until 2028 according to their recent press comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    first hulk was terrible
    second was great but then they had to change actor

so its bit stop start but also marvel dont think the hulk character really lends itself well to individual movie. so i think he will be avenger exclusive for now with cameos(as banner mostly) in other heroes films.

Thanks for that.

It's a shame really, because I think Mark Ruffalo is a great actor & deserves a stand alone film.

I can only hope he is given the star billing in Avengers: Age Of Ultron.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At some point the superhero bubble will burst (no sign yet though).
    It''ll probably burst the moment Warners/DC actually make their minds up about Justice League.
    The plan is not to make superhero movies, but genre movies with superheroes in them.
    Such corporate guff. How many genres are superheroes suitable for? Isn't the superhero film a genre itself now?

These films are sold on the characters, and the characters are superheroes. They can spin it however they like, but in a way they'll always be superhero films, and that's how some will always see them.