Options

Another speed increase

Comments

• Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    Because that little blackbox isnt DOCSIS 3 capable, they use mutli-channel bonding for the higher speeds.

ahh brilliant thanks for telling me this, I did not know this and the guy couldn't explain why we needed it. That answers the question thank you.
  • Options
    Vertigo1Vertigo1 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Registered my interest too, thanks for the heads up! :)

No mention of a new 12-month commitment but frankly that's no issue anyway as I'm not planning on going anywhere.

Can't complain at all at VM's speeds and pricing really. The 60Mb service I currently have is still significantly cheaper than the equivalent BT Infinity offering, which is my only alternative option here. That's without even considering that my speeds will increase to 100Mb in a few months!
  • Options
    hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got an email from VM confirming the speed increase, and logging into my account shows:
    Right now you have our up to 60Mb broadband. That's really fast, but between August 2014 and January 2015 you'll be able to supercharge your speed to up to 100Mb broadband at no extra monthly cost. We'll email you when it's ready.

Not too fussed about the download, would like to see an upload to match the 20 Mbits I had on infinity though ;)
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too! Presumably another round of download speed increases will provide a convenient excuse for doing nothing about upload speeds. 40:1 is a nonsense ratio, but that's what it will be.
  • Options
    derek39derek39 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Hopefully i get upgraded next month

Right now you have our up to 60Mb broadband. That's really fast, but between March 2014 and March 2014 you'll be able to supercharge your speed to up to 100Mb broadband at no extra monthly cost.

So sit back and relax. We'll be in touch with you as soon as your supercharge is ready.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got upgraded this morning, unexpected as it was not due until next month. Got an email as well.

Max Traffic Rate 168960000 bps (down)

Max Traffic Rate 12600000 bps (up)

Yes, that upload is provisioned to be a bit higher so that i get the full 12 meg upload.

Speedtest shows 161.05 down and 12.29 up

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3335523885.png
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,818
    Forum Member
    That sounds promising, hope the same happens for me.

The original email said I would have to agree to a new 12 month contract to get the speed upgrade.

My loyalty discount runs out in April I think so was hoping to renegotiate another one but wont be able to if I sign up to a new 12 month contract for the speed increase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    That sounds promising, hope the same happens for me.

The original email said I would have to agree to a new 12 month contract to get the speed upgrade.

My loyalty discount runs out in April I think so was hoping to renegotiate another one but wont be able to if I sign up to a new 12 month contract for the speed increase.

No new 12-moth contract here, and I retain my loyalty bonus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Me too! Presumably another round of download speed increases will provide a convenient excuse for doing nothing about upload speeds. 40:1 is a nonsense ratio, but that's what it will be.

I asked them today on Twitter if they're planning to increase the upload speeds for 60Mb customers, since 3Mb really isn't very good. Their reply: "There are no plans for the upload speeds at the moment but if it changes, we'll let you know."
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Those on XL 60Mbit will get a 6Mbit upload when the 100Mbit downstream upgrade happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Are those on 30 (soon to be going to 50) still going to get there upload moved to (at least) 3 as was, IIRC the original plan?
  • Options
    springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    They need to now concentrate on the upload speed in my opinion. With lots of things moving to the cloud I think we need it.

10:1 Ratio and no STM on upload should be what virgin should be working on next. They look like they are moving to QAM64 for the upload channels so I guess they making progress.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,058
    Forum Member
    I got my speed boost on Thursday 27/02/2014, I am now on 152MB Broadband,
    I am in the Lewisham area if that helps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my speed boost on Thursday 27/02/2014, I am now on 152MB Broadband,
    I am in the Lewisham area if that helps

how is the 152, i know early days yet, i get saturday, grimsby area
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Originally it said we would be upgraded between March and May. Then a few weeks ago they said we'll contact you by the end of March. Just checked again and that has changed to the end of April.
  • Options
    pmalexanderpmalexander Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Got upgraded this morning, unexpected as it was not due until next month. Got an email as well.

Max Traffic Rate 168960000 bps (down)

Max Traffic Rate 12600000 bps (up)

Yes, that upload is provisioned to be a bit higher so that i get the full 12 meg upload.

Speedtest shows 161.05 down and 12.29 up

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3335523885.png

Scary speeds you are getting . Simply Amazing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it has been pretty much rock-solid at those speeds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    We're supercharging broadband speeds yet again - so you have even more power to do the things you love online.
    Right now we're upgrading our network in your area which means you can supercharge your speed from up to 60Mb broadband to up to 100Mb by the end of April 2014. We'll contact you when it's ready.

While you're waiting, head over to our Discover area to see why faster is better when it comes to broadband.

I wonder if I'll notice any difference?! :(
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,058
    Forum Member
    DJONH wrote: »
    I wonder if I'll notice any difference?! :(

Yes, a big difference - the most benefit you will have is if you are on the 152MB package
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,818
    Forum Member
    Just got my speed upgrade today without asking for it.

Got an email yesterday saying I had made changes to my package, which I hadn't. I can only assume because I was without internet last week that someone put this through for me and re-added my loyalty discount on for a further 2 years.

Was almost worth having my internet go down for a few days :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjeff2k wrote: »
    Originally it said we would be upgraded between March and May. Then a few weeks ago they said we'll contact you by the end of March. Just checked again and that has changed to the end of April.

Just checked again and it has changed *again*. Now between July and September. They really know how to take the shine off.. Engineers were round the area months ago doing the upgrades as well.
  • Options
    Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be a bit late into the game with this info
    but got my e mail yesterday. saying hit the big red button to upgrade etc., Went onto the virgin page and did it.

Speed gone up from 60 to 100 this morning.

area
    North London.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    How do you get this Loyalty discount?

Also if i go into my account it says the upgrade is ready (From 60 to 100) and i need to confirm i want to upgrade for free. Odd as to why you have to accept a FREE upgrade lol.

So im assuming its to tie people into new 12month contracts?
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    How do you get this Loyalty discount?

Also if i go into my account it says the upgrade is ready (From 60 to 100) and i need to confirm i want to upgrade for free. Odd as to why you have to accept a FREE upgrade lol.

So im assuming its to tie people into new 12month contracts?
    No, it's not to tie people into new contracts.

It's because that for some people new kit is required so they need a delivery. To make it as simple a message as possible, the process is the same for everyone i.e. go to My VM and confirm you want the upgrade.

The system then sorts out if you need new kit or not.