Options

Real Radio's transition to Heart

Comments

• Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,412
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    why do you need two hearts?

It's a good song why would you not want it.
  • Options
    andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the real northwest page 140+ people moaning about heart coming and only about 30 people like the news!

Aye some of the comments are laughable though with folk thinking that a few angry comments will change anything, as though it's something that has suddenly been decided and can be reversed as quickly! As if the "heart of the northwest" wasn't enough of a clue already!

Y'know if bauer are truly switched on they could capitalise on this really well, between their various ILR brands here and Absolute they could mop up a load of ex real listeners with just a bit spent on targeted advertising, no?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Or was it the Banks-pleasing mentioning of JACK fm?!?! ;-)

It was probably that to be fair, he saw that and seemed to love it! Banks is a proper nutjob (in a good way, radio needs more like him to appeal to the lads and ladettes!) and he's doing great turning around reading 107, their main hater is now a fan and she and her daughter were guests this morning! Really funny, irreverent stuff and not once did lady Gaga, one direction or take that get mentioned! We need more radio like that to rival heart IMHO.
  • Options
    Spencer4HSpencer4H Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I think my favourite comment so far on Facebook is someone saying that when Real becomes heart, they'll switch to Capital instead.

Yeah, that'll teach Global.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spencer4H wrote: »
    I think my favourite comment so far on Facebook is someone saying that when Real becomes heart, they'll switch to Capital instead.

Aye I spotted that on the Yorkshire one, had to point out the common ownership to that guy! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    pmsl seen it all before when Trent,Ram Fm,leicester sound and Galaxy all became Capital loads of people complaining despite the fact 2 weeks before they were banging out sweepers every other song saying capital is coming!! lol ,all of them saying they were going else where if they didn't get there stations back then hey ho all this moaners came flocking back to capital it will be the same thing all over again do they really believe Global are that bothered???? of course not there not stupid they no they will all be a back with in a month after getting bored of rock fm ,key 103 or Radio city ,global have learnt how to sell heart and capital and it's paid of for them all these moaners won't bother them lol
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of the comments are just ill informed rants. I've seen a few thinking it will all be from London, there'll be no local news etc, or 80s/90s/00s music will be dumped as Heart play nothing but current chart music.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of the comments are just ill informed rants. I've seen a few thinking it will all be from London, there'll be no local news etc, or 80s/90s/00s music will be dumped as Heart play nothing but current chart music.

Heart play 80s 90s and today....
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Heart play 80s 90s and today....

Yep, some people on Facebook don't seem to know that though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, some people on Facebook don't seem to know that though.

The problem I think is that a lot of RR listeners don't really know that much about Heart ok they may have seen the odd tv add ,but they don't really get what heart is all about i think there's a lot who are jumping on a pre lets all hate heart band wagon when really they don't really know that much about them but I think within 4-6 weeks of Heart having time to bed in within the new area's I think they will grown to like them it's like any station re brands ,there's always some that will spit there dummy's out at first then after a while find them selfs drifting back, I say within 6 months RR will be a name that becomes lost in the history books
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem I think is that a lot of RR listeners don't really know that much about Heart ok they may have seen the odd tv add ,but they don't really get what heart is all about i think there's a lot who are jumping on a pre lets all hate heart band wagon when really they don't really know that much about them but I think within 4-6 weeks of Heart having time to bed in within the new area's I think they will grown to like them it's like any station re brands ,there's always some that will spit there dummy's out at first then after a while find them selfs drifting back, I say within 6 months RR will be a name that becomes lost in the history books

Yup I agree, most folk won't know or care that what used to be there as long as the same bunch of songs they currently vaguely listen to along with some celeb fluff chat is still there as they drive their annoying, demanding, self-obsessed kids to and from school each day! Let's be honest, for a while Real Radio has been a heart clone anyway, this just completes the process.

Maybe for those who do care though, someone should set up a "Thank you Real Radio - RIP" facebook page?! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They just need to find a way to bring back Heart fm east midlands ,as they have a huge black hole in there national coverage without the east midlands baring in mid the east midlands covers Derbyshire,Nottinghamshire,Leicestershire,Parts of Linconshire ,Rutland ,North Northanhamptonshire, it's a huge chunk they lost to Gem 106 in 2011 ,just imagine if you're driving from the south east you can take heart all the way up north past birmingham but you than lose local coverage of heart as soon as you come into leicestershire and won't be able to pick up heart again untill you get upto North Derbyshire and South Yorkshire which means they lose out over a 100 miles of coverage surely that must effect the national TSA ,If they put Heart on the Capital leicester 105.4 frequency they will have a clear run through the east mids right up to the high peak and will then join back up with Heart North west on 105.4 ,Capital can still be heard in leicestershire on 96.2/5 and 102.8 based in Derby and Nottingham
  • Options
    nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just need to find a way to bring back Heart fm east midlands ,as they have a huge black hole in there national coverage without the east midlands baring in mid the east midlands covers Derbyshire,Nottinghamshire,Leicestershire,Parts of Linconshire ,Rutland ,North Northanhamptonshire, it's a huge chunk they lost to Gem 106 in 2011 ,just imagine if you're driving from the south east you can take heart all the way up north past birmingham but you than lose local coverage of heart as soon as you come into leicestershire and won't be able to pick up heart again untill you get upto North Derbyshire and South Yorkshire which means they lose out over a 100 miles of coverage surely that must effect the national TSA ,If they put Heart on the Capital leicester 105.4 frequency they will have a clear run through the east mids right up to the high peak and will then join back up with Heart North west on 105.4 ,Capital can still be heard in leicestershire on 96.2/5 and 102.8 based in Derby and Nottingham

While Global were likely pretty gutted about losing the East Midlands, Capital is performing very well for them there and it likely wouldn't cost too much more (an extra studio at Capital, and two local jocks) it would eat quite heavily into Capital East Midlands TSA and make it a much smaller station, from a sales perspective it's probably more attractive to have a larger well performing station than split it into two smaller stations, especially as Orion are doing very well with Gem 106 (which plays similar music and would still be the larger station) anyway and it would further dilute all three hypothetical stations. In the ideal world they'd have kept hold of Heart there, but the Capital licences were bringing in more profit combined.
  • Options
    nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spencer4H wrote: »

Love it, saw the same when Galaxy changed to Capital on the South Coast, "I'll listen to Heart instead!" yeah that'll teach em!
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,412
    Forum Member

And that explains why radio stations don't take notice
    Of facebook rants.
  • Options
    mickieboimickieboi Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Has there been confirmation as to when the big change is actually going to take place?

It's a shame because, although the format was almost the same, and as mentioned before that RR has become the Heart clone, I will miss RR because it was something different. Where I live I can pick up 4 Heart stations (5 on higher ground) and 3 on DAB, and Real was a refreshing change, even if the reception is grainy and DAB non-existant
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a breakdown of the changes which will be happening

North west

Breakfast: Joel and Lorna (Joel replaces Glen Hunt)
    Drive: Russ Morris (replacing Oli Kemp)
    Weekends: Debbie Mac

North East - No change

Breakfast: Gary and Lisa
    Drive: Justin and Kelly
    Weekends: Sarah Graham

Yorkshire

Breakfast: Dixie and Emma (Emma replaces Gayle Lofthouse)
    Drive: Rich Williams (replacing Ian Brannan)
    Weekends: Ian Brannan

South Wales - No change

Breakfast: Jagger and Woody
    Drive: Jason Harrold
    Weekends: Dave Brookes

North Wales - No change

Breakfast: Spence McDonald and Fiona Sadler
    Drive: Oli Kemp
    Weekends: Rachel Howarth

Scotland - No change

Breakfast: Ewen Cameron and Cat Harvey
    Drive: Paul Harper
    Weekends: Steve McKenna

The only thing they haven't announced today is who will take on Saturday breakfast
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nobjockey wrote: »
    While Global were likely pretty gutted about losing the East Midlands, Capital is performing very well for them there and it likely wouldn't cost too much more (an extra studio at Capital, and two local jocks) it would eat quite heavily into Capital East Midlands TSA and make it a much smaller station, from a sales perspective it's probably more attractive to have a larger well performing station than split it into two smaller stations, especially as Orion are doing very well with Gem 106 (which plays similar music and would still be the larger station) anyway and it would further dilute all three hypothetical stations. In the ideal world they'd have kept hold of Heart there, but the Capital licences were bringing in more profit combined.

whilst yes in theory!!! that is great that capital are performing well however!!,gem 106 is of no finacial interest to global and there's always an open chance that orion may decide to rebrand them as free radio,global no longer market orion media so it would be of no hardship if heart went head to head with GEM 106 which as a station is utter rubbish!!!!!! and as no resemblance to heart,most people in the east midlands would rather have the real thing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gavin_D wrote: »
    Here is a breakdown of the changes which will be happening

North west

Breakfast: Joel and Lorna (Joel replaces Glen Hunt)
    Drive: Russ Morris (replacing Oli Kemp)
    Weekends: Debbie Mac

North East - No change

Breakfast: Gary and Lisa
    Drive: Justin and Kelly
    Weekends: Sarah Graham

Yorkshire

Breakfast: Dixie and Emma (Emma replaces Gayle Lofthouse)
    Drive: Rich Williams (replacing Ian Brannan)
    Weekends: Ian Brannan

South Wales - No change

Breakfast: Jagger and Woody
    Drive: Jason Harrold
    Weekends: Dave Brookes

North Wales - No change

Breakfast: Spence McDonald and Fiona Sadler
    Drive: Oli Kemp
    Weekends: Rachel Howarth

Scotland - No change

Breakfast: Ewen Cameron and Cat Harvey
    Drive: Paul Harper
    Weekends: Steve McKenna

The only thing they haven't announced today is who will take on Saturday breakfast

I would think JK and Lucy will do saturday breakfast
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    On the Real website they are saying "Tune into Heart across North Wales from Tuesday 6 May on in Wrexham on 88FM, North Wales on 102-107FM"

http://www.realradiowales.co.uk/about/real-radio-becomes-heart/ca6fe

Will Heart be making a slight change to their logo to incorporate the 88FM frequency in Wrexham and North East Wales? ;-)

jimbo wrote: »
    As for North Wales, will Heart stay at Mold Road Wrexham with the old Real frequencies taking that feed, and Capital - will that originate in Wrexham as well or will the North West and North Wales capital come from Manchester for local programmes? Will the old Marcher stations just be a simulcast of what is currently on 102 in Manchester? From which studio will Welsh output come from?

Thanks

Heart will be staying at the Mold Road Studios, Wrexham. The building is currently undergoing some refurbishment so it can accomondate both Global and Communicorp staff. In general terms, Global staff will be one side of the building, Communicorp will be another.

Capital North Wales and North West (96.3FM, 97.1FM and 103.4FM) will come from Wrexham.

Capital Anglesy and Gwynedd (or whatever they decide to call it, Capital Cymru perhaps? on 103FM) will also come from Wrexham, as it does now in its Heart form. There's been no mention of it, as far as I'm aware in whats come out today, but 103FM will, unless there's been a last minute change, will have separate Breakfast and Drive shows to the other Capital North Wales, as those shows are in Welsh. There's been no announcement on whose presenting what on Capital 103FM, as far as I'm aware, but I'd be surprised if they brought in new presenters to present Breakfast and Drive. Perhaps a re-shuffle maybe as its something new, or just sticking with the status quo

Who will be presenting what, has already been said earlier in the thread but in a nut shell, in Wales, it will be:

Heart South and West Wales

Jagger & Woody at Breakfast, Jason Harrold on Drive, Dave Brooks on weekends.

Heart North and Mid Wales

Spence and Fiona on Breakfast, Oli Kemp on Drive, Rachel Howarth on weekends

Capital North Wales and North West

Graeme Smith and Sarah Story on Breakfast, Ben Sheppard on Drive

Capital 103FM (Anglesy and Gwynedd)

Just presuming it will still be Kev Bach and Alistair James in either the same slots or possibly a change around as its something new.
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think JK and Lucy will do Saturday breakfast

Yes good call didn't realize Saturday breakfast was networked from London just looked through a few of the heart regions and it is
  • Options
    MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whilst yes in theory!!! that is great that capital are performing well however!!,gem 106 is of no finacial interest to global and there's always an open chance that orion may decide to rebrand them as free radio,global no longer market orion media so it would be of no hardship if heart went head to head with GEM 106 which as a station is utter rubbish!!!!!! and as no resemblance to heart,most people in the east midlands would rather have the real thing

GEM 106 recently had broke the 106 listening figures
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »
    So it looks like 6 May then for Heart to start properly on the Real frequencies.

Can you tell me why you think the ending of the name "Real Radio" will be from 1600 on Friday 2 May? That would leave them without a drive show.

What is your evidence for this, or are you going on past experience so to speak - ie when other stations changed to Heart? In the case of Chiltern radio, they had presenters right up to 12 noon on the Saturday.

Please can you say why you think it will stop at 1600 on Friday 2nd mAY. tHANKS.

The Real Radio All Request Workday (or whatever its called) would finish at 4pm, Drivetime would be as normal. The days to look for are the Sunday (4th) after 7pm, All day Monday (5th) and then the Tuesday 6th May.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GEM 106 recently had broke the 106 listening figures
    Strangely Heart east midlands Rajar has gone up from 30k to 102k without affecting GEM?
  • Options
    jeffrey4670jeffrey4670 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    With living in Yorkshire I have to listen on DAB from London. For myself I have been waiting for Heart Yorkshire and it's finally going to arrive :). When driving down to London it's possible to get it from the West Midlands freq, but it's poor in places. As a previous poster has mention a fair size gap. What's needed is this gap to be filled. Could this be done later?