Options

Found some used Apple EarPods on the train....safe to use?

Comments

• Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But really what harm can come from using them? I was initially a bit unsure which is why I started the thread asking for advice, but having cleaned them I don't think there's any real danger is there? :confused:

It makes me feel a bit sick you going on about removing ear goo from them. They aren't even good earphones. Some chavvy skank has probably been using them and no amount of cleaning would make them usable in my eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    It makes me feel a bit sick you going on about removing ear goo from them. They aren't even good earphones. Some chavvy skank has probably been using them and no amount of cleaning would make them usable in my eyes.

They are good because they have the remote control and microphone built in. Not many earphones have that. They're also trendy earphones to be seen out wearing. To be honest you're coming across as sounding a little bit jealous if you don't mind me saying...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hand them in where exactly? I have no idea what station the person who left them lives closest to and so if I handed them in to either the train driver or at a station I'm 99% convinced they'd just end up in the bin. It's much better that the person who found them (me!) puts them to good use.

Should have given it to the train staff and they would have sent it to their lost property office. People do try and reclaim lost items, no matter how cheap. You might think well whats the point but you wouldn't feel the same way if you had lost something on the train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should have given it to the train staff and they would have sent it to their lost property office. People do try and reclaim lost items, no matter how cheap. You might think well whats the point but you wouldn't feel the same way if you had lost something on the train.

Look, I just don't think they would ever have made their way back to their original owner. More likely they would've ended up in a bin and what would be the point in that? I've lost things in the past (hasn't everyone?) and I just take the view you win some you lose some. On this occasion I'm very pleased with what I found and I refuse to feel guilty for using them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are good because they have the remote control and microphone built in. Not many earphones have that. They're also trendy earphones to be seen out wearing. To be honest you're coming across as sounding a little bit jealous if you don't mind me saying...

Why would I be jealous of some crappy earphones?:confused::confused: Spent a considerable amount on my last earphones. they blow yours out of the water so nothing to be jealous about. I just think it's a bit dirty. Since loosing a bit of jewellery on the train I'm more prone to handing things in. Not that I ever picked anything on the train before but I would make more of an effort to pick dropped items up and hand them into train staff.
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    But really what harm can come from using them? I was initially a bit unsure which is why I started the thread asking for advice, but having cleaned them I don't think there's any real danger is there? :confused:

There are a lot of germs in ears and your pathetic effort to remove visible wax will not remove all bacteria.

Also, Karma wise, you might want to bear in mind using someone elses bacteria rich ear buds might result in something you might not want to catch!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, I just don't think they would ever have made their way back to their original owner. More likely they would've ended up in a bin and what would be the point in that? I've lost things in the past (hasn't everyone?) and I just take the view you win some you lose some. On this occasion I'm very pleased with what I found and I refuse to feel guilty for using them.

To be honest Kenny, I'd leave this alone now. You've made your decision and you're not going to convince anyone else otherwise, especially those who think "karma" is a thing.

I'd have done the same as you, but that's me. My moral compass hasn't really worked properly for decades, but there you go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest Kenny, I'd leave this alone now. You've made your decision and you're not going to convince anyone else otherwise, especially those who think "karma" is a thing.

I'd have done the same as you, but that's me. My moral compass hasn't really worked properly for decades, but there you go.

Well at least you're honest about it Jason. That's something.
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member

Finders is not keepers.

And just because others might do the wrong thing by keeping what they find doesn't make it right.

Karma, at its most basic, with be realised when Kenny loses something and that the person who found it didn't hand it in because he shares Kenny's (and Jasons) cynical approach to property.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't get my head around anyone wanting to use someone else's ear pods knowing they have been caked in someone else's ear wax and crusts. No matter how poor I am I wouldn't do it
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got some nice Sony ones from ASDA, wernt expensive

used headphones, no way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hand them in where exactly? I have no idea what station the person who left them lives closest to and so if I handed them in to either the train driver or at a station I'm 99% convinced they'd just end up in the bin. It's much better that the person who found them (me!) puts them to good use.

If you ask at the station or telephone the rail company, they will tell you where to hand them in. They have a data-base, which means anyone using that line will be able to check if they have been found. Get a receipt, and if they are not claimed you might be able to claim them.

Theft by finding is an offence in law. Had you not removed the ear buds, someone else might have handed them in, or maybe the owner would have returned to look for them - you don't know one way or the other. It's not 'good luck', it's theft.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    And just because others might do the wrong thing by keeping what they find doesn't make it right

I'm fully aware that it's "not right" but I am who I am. I've returned plenty of things to people in my time and I've kept things as well. If you want a more simplistic explanation, it's more on a "case by case" basis.

I don't believe in "karma" and never will, but it's not something that influences my thought process should I find something. I'm not proud of it and i'm certainly not going to brag about it but, as i said, it is what it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would I be jealous of some crappy earphones?:confused::confused: Spent a considerable amount on my last earphones. they blow yours out of the water so nothing to be jealous about. I just think it's a bit dirty. Since loosing a bit of jewellery on the train I'm more prone to handing things in. Not that I ever picked anything on the train before but I would make more of an effort to pick dropped items up and hand them into train staff.

You keep on saying they're crap and I keep on reminding you that they cost £25 and have a built in remote and mic. The sound quality is okay, but not top of the range. They're not crap at all IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are a lot of germs in ears and your pathetic effort to remove visible wax will not remove all bacteria.

Also, Karma wise, you might want to bear in mind using someone elses bacteria rich ear buds might result in something you might not want to catch!

I believe those Dettol wipes are supposed to kill 99% of bacteria. And quite frankly even if I'd gone ahead and used them without cleaning them then it's not like I would've been in big danger of catching anything horrible like AIDS. At the worst I might've got an ear infection? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Finders is not keepers.

And just because others might do the wrong thing by keeping what they find doesn't make it right.

Karma, at its most basic, with be realised when Kenny loses something and that the person who found it didn't hand it in because he shares Kenny's (and Jasons) cynical approach to property.

But I have lost stuff and not got it back. In the last five years I've lost a Victorinox pen knife, designer sunglasses, a new t-shirt I left in a cafe. Shit happens. If I'd found a big item like an iPad or expensive camera I'd have handed it in somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i got some nice Sony ones from ASDA, wernt expensive

used headphones, no way

Do your Sony ones have a remote and mic for taking calls? I suspect not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    If you ask at the station or telephone the rail company, they will tell you where to hand them in. They have a data-base, which means anyone using that line will be able to check if they have been found. Get a receipt, and if they are not claimed you might be able to claim them.

Theft by finding is an offence in law. Had you not removed the ear buds, someone else might have handed them in, or maybe the owner would have returned to look for them - you don't know one way or the other. It's not 'good luck', it's theft.

I really don't think keeping a small-value item you found on the train can be considered as 'theft'. If you saw a fiver on the ground would you really hand it into the police station? I'm sure the answer is no. So what would that make you - a thief? Or maybe you'd just leave the fiver there for someone else to pick up.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    You keep on saying they're crap and I keep on reminding you that they cost £25 and have a built in remote and mic. The sound quality is okay, but not top of the range. They're not crap at all IMO.
    So buy some of your own, and hand these in. Google Lost Property for the train line you were travelling on. Just because you've lost high value items in the past doesn't make it right for you to keep them, regardless of how cool you look wearing them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You want a nice pair of westones, they come with 2 replaceable wires one with a remote control and mic. Seriously the apple earbuds will be in the bin. :D
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    You want a nice pair of westones, they come with 2 replaceable wires one with a remote control and mic. Seriously the apple earbuds will be in the bin. :D
    Do they come accessorised with someone else's ear wax though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they come accessorised with someone else's ear wax though?

No... I admit the apple earbuds do win on that one. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    How digusting, somebody's earwax was in that headphones and you never know who it could be.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I agree, but obviously there is a cut off point for when it makes sense to hand something in. You wouldn't bother handing in a pen if you found it on a train, or bottle of drink, or a cheap hat (all of which I've found). I know that the earphones in question cost £25 but I would be extremely doubtful that many people these days would bother going to lost property to get them back. Especially if left on train - god knows what station they would be handed in at.

And then don't forget that there's probably a lot of bureaucracy around handing in lost items, you probably need to wait around and fill in a form and give all your contact details. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why someone should feel obliged to do that for a low value item that is unlikely to every be picked up.

Before anyone accuses me of dishonesty, I once found a folder containing sensitive documents and an Ipad on a train. Rather than hand it in and risk it being lost I found out the owners phone number and contacted them to pick it up. I barely got a 'thank you' from the obviously worried guy that turned up but still it was the right thing to do.

Well of course - I did say I would hand something in if I believed it to be of financial or sentimental value. As for your examples - I would not hand in a pen unless it looked like an expensive one or had some personal engraving on it. Neither would I hand in a bottle or a drink - unless it was an unopened bottle of say expensive champagne or whiskey for example. As for a cheap hat - how do I know it's cheap? It may look cheap but may have some value to the owner. My point is - if I believe it to be of sentimental or financial value I would hand it in...if nobody collects it, then so be it. I didn't mean to suggest I would hand in 'everything' I find - that would be a bit silly now, wouldn't it.:D

As for your example of the folder - if I found something which contained the owner's contact no then I would simply contact them and arrange to hand back their property.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do your Sony ones have a remote and mic for taking calls? I suspect not.

no, but they also dont have ear was or germs as well

if you want apple ones that much, just get a new pair

arnt they about £20..??