Options

Topless Men

Comments

• Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually legal for a woman to be topless in public in England & Wales. The reason you rarely see it is because they choose not to do it.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? I didn't know. I have missed out on flapping them freely in the wind!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    What? I didn't know. I have missed out on flapping them freely in the wind!

Public nudity is legal in England and Wales unless the intention is to cause distress (ie. flashing). The Sexual Offences Act was specifically worded to avoid criminalising non-sexual nudity. It's why that naked rambler person was able to walk all the way to Scotland before getting arrested, and why they don't stop that nude bike ride event in the summer or put streakers on the sex offenders register.

Women just choose not to get their tits out.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Public nudity is legal in England and Wales unless the intention is to cause distress (ie. flashing). The Sexual Offences Act was specifically worded to avoid criminalising non-sexual nudity. It's why that naked rambler person was able to walk all the way to Scotland before getting arrested, and why they don't stop that nude bike ride event in the summer or put streakers on the sex offenders register.

Some women just choose not to get their tits out.
    Fixed that up for ya ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should put people on the eye offenders register at least
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

Women just choose not to get their tits out.

This is worse than I thought. Men can walk freely about the streets without fear of abuse whereas women cannot enjoy the same freedom because they will be made to feel they are doing something wrong!

Can't we just make the whole thing illegal then we all know where we stand ;-)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ! just what is this country coming to? We are going backwards rather than forwards.

Men have taken their tops off for decades and now some on this thread are seriously bringing kiddies into it like anyone who takes their top of within a 100 miles of a kid must be a kiddie fiddler?

GET A GRIP!

What a way to bring up kids with an abnormal Victorian view that their bodies are something to be ashamed of.

I went to a park yesterday - a children's park - heaving to the brim with children.

I saw some bloke walking about with no t-shirt and yes I did find it highly inappropriate. Not in a 'kiddy fiddler' way but in a 'who the hell do you think wants to look at you' kind of way. There is no need to take your t-shirt off in a park full of women and kids in 16c in April... I can only imagine he thought he was Gods gift and we all wanted to see his pecs?
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the bloke. Not wanting to see large kebab filled lager bellies in public at all thanks, but a toned scally type is most pleasing on the eye.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Be properly dressed in a blazer and boater.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    This is worse than I thought. Men can walk freely about the streets without fear of abuse whereas women cannot enjoy the same freedom because they will be made to feel they are doing something wrong!

Can't we just make the whole thing illegal then we all know where we stand ;-)

Well it boils down to how male and female nudity is seen by society. A naked man is hilarious and ribald, a naked woman is sexual. Therefore a man being naked in public is a lad and a naked woman is a ****. There's a whole other discussion on where that inequality comes from, but it probably relates to general fear of female sexuality that is the root cause of pretty much all female sexual inequality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be properly dressed in a blazer and boater.

I would love that.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    All about context and much ado about nothing really.

Some people with their tops off can look fine, others can look 'poke my eyes out with a stick;' horrific. A bit like all people really, not just topless men.

For every out of shape man with a gut hanging out thers's a misshapen bint in leggings I agree. Perhaps we can just ban ugly/ misshapen people and let the beautiful people do as they please. Sounds fair enough no.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always chavs for some reason. People dragged up with no social awareness.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Don't be going to Southend's Adventure Island...they're not keen :D

Spoilsports :kitty:

How is that worse than some misshapen bint in a pair of leggings? :o:blush:

I think we're running out of things to ban tbh

There is nothing wrong with men or women going topless when they choose to do so. We really need to lose that puritanism around nudity.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often see youngsters out in their hoodies on days like today. I always think it's a bit sad that they're so desperate to be seen "in uniform" that they'll be willing to wear a hoody on a baking hot day.

T shirt surly?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a park yesterday - a children's park - heaving to the brim with children.

I saw some bloke walking about with no t-shirt and yes I did find it highly inappropriate. Not in a 'kiddy fiddler' way but in a 'who the hell do you think wants to look at you' kind of way. There is no need to take your t-shirt off in a park full of women and kids in 16c in April... I can only imagine he thought he was Gods gift and we all wanted to see his pecs?

Exactly, these types make me ewwwwwww.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T shirt surly?

Nope, full on hood and usually it's up as well. You can see the sweat dripping off them but they never put the hood down or take the thing off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    It's always chavs for some reason. People dragged up with no social awareness.

Always? When I was younger I would sometimes take my top off if out running or when a park when it was hot.

No doubt most of the protests are from out of shape men or from women (unless the guy is fit).
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this mentioned on BBC Breakfast - I think the female presenter (can't remember who it was?) felt a bit queasy about it as she said something like I think we've seen enough clips of that story, thank you(!) lol. I agree that it should be the same for women as it is for men though - we shouldn't have one rule for one gender and another for the other really.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ban should also apply to building site and council workers as well. Why are they allowed to work topless when the rest of us have to suffer in hot conditions. No doubt if the management made it mandatory to remain covered up then the workers could take strike action.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    My town seems to see an influx of skinny, pale chavs with no shirts on in the summer. Unfortunately.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really see the point of this story.If the owners/management of Adventure Island want to set a dress code then they're free to do so. Just like shop and cafe owners do. It's a business, and if they want to promote a particular image then it's up to them.
    Adventure island is very popular in the summer, and I don't think this decision will affect that one way or the other.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be banned for men with beer bellies, men with abs and six packs however...
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of this story.If the owners/management of Adventure Island want to set a dress code then they're free to do so. Just like shop and cafe owners do. It's a business, and if they want to promote a particular image then it's up to them.
    Adventure island is very popular in the summer, and I don't think this decision will affect that one way or the other.

Exactly some places won't allow men (or women) to walk around topless some won't allow swim wear on the other hand some places do not allow hoodies or hats or hoods up on coats.

Some theme parks don't allow certain loose/baggy clothing on certain rides even if the risk to danger is pretty much minuscule.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Comments like the above one are really troubling and so reactionary. The problem would not be with the man, but yourself in truth. Do you honestly think any of the children would be concerned or even give it a moments notice? Of course not. Children's hang ups are learned from adults a lot of the time. The mere association of a barechested man and kiddy fiddling is preposterous in the extreme, even with the proviso given that they aren't linked. I would guess that most unsavoury men (and women) who have ill intentions towards young people are more than likely to be overdressed if anything. Equating a lack of clothes to these issues is very silly. The man walked into a park with no shirt on a decent spring day, big deal. Yes, there were women and children in the park. So what? There were probably other males too. It's not as if he likely set off with the intention of deliberately brushing his torso up against these people. A man went for a walk in the park, and dressed only up to his waist, end of story. Some people are just easy going, laid back and super body confident to be able to do that. Many others are not. I cannot believe that when most men and boys take their shirts off in decent weather and walk into towns and parks or wherever, that they are actively seeking to be "checked over" and admired by anyone.

I'd personally be more concerned with the other end of the body in warmer weather. Maybe flip flops and open sandals should be banned, as there are some very unattractive feet in your face sometimes that I wish were well hidden by a proper pair of shoes!