✭✭✭✭
    The flower arranging guy is so bitchy.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Indeed. Bit of a shame really.

Maybe it will be a slow starter but catch on like sewing bee.

I do wonder if it can keep interest and how much variety there can be in the challenges.

I can't be doing with people crying and all that hugging. It's only a flipping tv prog.
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was quite good once it got to the competitions. Much better than I thought it would be and so was Fern who I don't normally like.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fancy Charlie off Casualty being on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I thought that was quite good once it got to the competitions. Much better than I thought it would be and so was Fern who I don't normally like.

She was pretty understated. I liked it too - just curious to see how it develops.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god this show is boring!
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of the pairs seem quite competitive so that might become quite interesting. I wasn't sure how they could make it work for a series but think it's been planned well with having the contests at the end like that. Shame for the ones going out so soon though after all that work.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I missed the end!

Which pair had to leave?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, will be tuning in next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I missed the end!

Which pair had to leave?

Forgotten their names .... They worked together, woman with dark hair and a very emotional man.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Forgotten their names .... They worked together, woman with dark hair and a very emotional man.

Sean and Liz.

Thanks!
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    A couple of the pairs seem quite competitive so that might become quite interesting. I wasn't sure how they could make it work for a series but think it's been planned well with having the contests at the end like that. Shame for the ones going out so soon though after all that work.

I agree. All that work and only going to be in one episode. I feel like they felt they had to stick with a tried a tested format, voting one person (or one two person team in this case) off each week, they didn't just waste a weekend baking, or sewing, they spent months preparing the allotment!

Surely they could have found a way to keep some involvement for everyone, maybe a league table to track winners and loser over several weeks, then the top three pairs in a 'final'?
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. Took me back years to when I was very young and my grandad grew beautifual dahilas on his allotment. I took offence at the masses of bees spoiling the look of them so decided to shake them off until he noticed what I was doing and told me to stop.
  • Options
    jg.jg. Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well conceived prog for those of us who grow a lot and use our produce. BUT Fern B is a shambles. Really adds a naff, annoying touch to proceedings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jg. wrote: »
    Well conceived prog for those of us who grow a lot and use our produce. BUT Fern B is a shambles. Really adds a naff, annoying touch to proceedings

She has such a condescending tone. Sounds like she's talking to 5 year olds.
  • Options
    Hershey2Hershey2 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought that as well!

Happy with the show at the moment, will continue watching and see how it pans out.

I think the right couple went, their hand tied bouquet was a mess, less is more guys!
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once they have made jams and relishes, what else is there to do with your salad and veg apart from eating them steamed or raw. Ratatouille? Veg lasagne? Fruit pie & quiche?

Haha yep Mazzy, that's probably the next 4 episodes sewn up! ;) Ah sewn :( missed it this week - mind you I do wonder if they're starting to overdo the whole Bake Off and Sewing Bee format now, complete with mildly irritating tinkly music. It's only annoying me as it's surprisingly addictive and I don't want to peak too soon, before Sewing Bee comes back! :p

I'd have liked to see more of the aerial, after shots, to see which allotment was the most colourful and which was sparse - and who owned them, but maybe that'd be a bit of a giveaway. Laughed at the tattooed worms (or at least I think he was joking!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Bit of a shame really.

Maybe it will be a slow starter but catch on like sewing bee.

I do wonder if it can keep interest and how much variety there can be in the challenges.

Once they have made jams and relishes, what else is there to do with your salad and veg apart from eating them steamed or raw. Ratatouille? Veg lasagne? Fruit pie & quiche?

Make creative creatures from carrots and spuds. Mr Potato Man?:D
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it and thought Fern was a good host. I'm an avid gardener but know nothing about growing fruit or vegetables and even less about making things with/ from them :D
    I would have preferred a League Table Format but will continue to watch it each week. The correct 2 went this week I thought.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really know what the format would be on this show, but being a keen veggie gardener I tuned in. I was disappointed. I wanted to see more of the first competition where they showed their prize radish. Perhaps they could have had a taste test too. But there wasn't enough gardening or tips for gardeners. Plus, you can be a fantastic gardener but hopeless in the kitchen which seems unfair to me. I couldn't make jam if my life depended on it.
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspected this program would annoy me, and it did. To turn up to an allotment which was perfectly square, perfectly dug over, neatly mown paths and not a weed, bramble or slug in sight. That's just not reality. Where were the months of back-breaking digging to try and remove couch grass, bindweed and marestail? I laughed when the bloke described digging in a bit of soil improver as "hard work". I wonder how many people will think that allotmenting really does mean having an instant garden in just 15 weeks! Clearly these contestants spent more than the odd Sunday morning on their plots.

However, I did watch it so it can't have been that bad. I like the idea of growing more flowers, which, considering the price of flowers compared to cheap vegetables, is probably a good idea. Some of the old war-time blokes on my allotment get snooty about growing flowers, as they say allotments should be for food production.

Looking foward to seeing what other challenges they will have outside the standard veg showing.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the programme....I'll be watching again!
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it. Just like Sewing and Baking I know little to nothing about it, but I find it interesting to find out about it.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they were only allowed to visit the allotments at weekends, so there was a level playing field ( as well as level plots :D )