Options

Food banks see 'shocking' rise in number of users - 913 000 food parcels - 51% rise

Comments

• Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    The joys of speaking to your neighbours in the street, and down at the local pub. I suppose it is easier being in a cul de sac.

Do you not talk to your neighbours in the street. or do you just send a Xmas card once a year and keep to that?

I live in a cul de sac as well, and yes I do talk to my neighbours, I just tend not to pry into their business.

As far as I know none of my neighbours go to a food bank, but then again I don't even know if there is a food bank around here

As for how much money people have and/or their financial details I personally don't think that has got anything to do with me and I would not question them on it, some obviously smoke and maybe some drink, I wouldn't know though because our local pub has shut down, as have most pubs around here, and anyway I don't drink.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Build it and they will come.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the Mirror is up to its old tricks of faking front page photos:
    http://order-order.com/2014/04/16/piers-tears-another-fake-mirror-front-page/
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    The joys of speaking to your neighbours in the street, and down at the local pub. I suppose it is easier being in a cul de sac.

Do you not talk to your neighbours in the street. or do you just send a Xmas card once a year and keep to that?

Even if it were true, surely you wouldn't be stupid enough to try and use the example of one individual to try and represent a near million uses of a service.

By the way, is this the same person as the friend from Liverpool you say you have, who 'couldn't give a shit' about The Hillsborough disaster?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine IDS couldn't be happier ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see you are looking for tips on how to interrogate your neighbours now.....

Of course I am you don't know how hard it is sitting here all day not being able to ask my neighbours about things that have nothing to do with me :cry::cry:

I have no idea what conversations you have with your neighbours (and don't want to) but all the points you mention can come up naturally in a conversation.

Hang on a minute, you've just said I'm looking for tips on how to interrogate my neighbours and now you have me in conversation with them.... that was fast :o:D

Mind you people around here don't usually talk about politics as such, we usually have more interesting things to talk about ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see the usual demonisation and defaming of the poor from some.

It's all to predictable, now.

I hope they never find themselves in a situation where they have no food. I'd still help them, even as repulsive and vulgar their attitudes are.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the 6th or 7th richest nation in the world our government (past and present) and those that support them should be embarrassed and ashamed that there is a need for food banks in this day and age for their own citizens - and as for justifying it by saying we need cutbacks, its funny how the cutbacks only really affect the poorest and sickest in society and the amounts saved are miniscule in the great scheme of things where there are greater savings to be made but those things are sacrosanct as they benefit the greedy at the top (eg foreign aid to help companies abroad, foreign wars to protect or gain business interests etc).
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I am you don't know how hard it is sitting here all day not being able to ask my neighbours about things that have nothing to do with me :cry::cry:

Hang on a minute, you've just said I'm looking for tips on how to interrogate my neighbours and now you have me in conversation with them.... that was fast :o:D

Mind you people around here don't usually talk about politics as such, we usually have more interesting things to talk about ;-)

Well glad you admitted it. ;-)

I didn't deny you had conversations with your neighbours I was just picking up on your apparent admission that they were ineffective as you were not finding out what you wanted to know ;-) :D
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this because I have seen them.

I think its about time the BBC repeat the one they did about a year ago.

Of the four people followed three were chancers at best and one was an out and out fraudster who was exposed on film. This was despite the food bank manager going to great length explaining how hard done by the chap was. When the food manager was presented with the true facts he was speechless at how thoroughly he had been taken in
    You don't know it. You get fed some propaganda from the media and fall for it.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise that you can't just walk in to a food bank and get food? You have to be referred and be classed as eligible.

You say that like it would be difficult to do. At the end of the day if you say your kids are going hungry what are they going to do - theres no public sector workers following people around to see how they spend their benefits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a ticking timebomb. This government has created a monster.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure who cares about our own people? Lets just send millions abroad to prop up dodgy people in the name of aid and forget about our own people suffering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    You say that like it would be difficult to do. At the end of the day if you say your kids are going hungry what are they going to do - theres no public sector workers following people around to see how they spend their benefits.
    You do realise alot of people using food banks are actually working?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't know it. You get fed some propaganda from the media and fall for it.

So let me get this right. Anything you see in the press or on television is fact but anything I see is propaganda.

Oh the irony ..........................
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member

It does seem odd that those with right wing anti welfare ideologies always know someone who is willing to tell them sufficient detail about their private business to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that not only is that person swinging a leg but also that they represent the vast majority of those on benefits.

It seems to be too convenient either someone is lying or it is true that you can tell someone by the company they keep. In my experience if people exaggerate their status it is in an upward direction. I would think it weird for people to brag about going to a food bank and would certainly not take their word for it.

Of course it may be that they know how to press someone's buttons and this is all one big wind up which the Tories fall for every time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So let me get this right. Anything you see in the press or on television is fact but anything I see is propaganda.

Oh the irony ..........................
    The press? If you believe everything the press says then yes you are gullible and much of it is lies. Hey the government must be pleased with people like yourself who thinks that the rise of food banks is because people are spending all their money on booze, cigarettes, expensive tv's and flashy cars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what anyone else on here thinks but IMO the reason that people are using food banks more now than ever before is because of the cap on benefits, I am also coming to the conclusion that it surely can't be just Labour supporters who use them.
    So maybe posters would like to tell us about the Tory and/or Lib Dem supporters who they know use food banks ?
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    I don't know what anyone else on here thinks but IMO the reason that people are using food banks more now than ever before is because of the cap on benefits, I am also coming to the conclusion that it surely can't be just Labour supporters who use them.
    So maybe posters would like to tell us about the Tory and/or Lib Dem supporters who they know use food banks ?

I remember at school there were a couple of kids who would these days be described as having severe learning difficulties and they were often bullied into sharing indiscrete personal information

I feel equally queasy when I read about people sharing openly the details mentioned in this and other threads. I do not think people would do so voluntarily and fear they may have been manipulated into trusting someone who then abuses that trust by posting on here and extrapolating a single instance to make it the norm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press? If you believe everything the press says then yes you are gullible and much of it is lies. Hey the government must be pleased with people like yourself who thinks that the rise of food banks is because people are spending all their money on booze, cigarettes, expensive tv's and flashy cars.

LOL you are the one who seems to be believing everything they read in the press in respect of food banks

To deny that there are people abusing the system as you are doing does not make you a credible commentator on the subject in my opinion
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

And what would you do (apart from vote Labour forever)?
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

After only four years in power?

This hasn't dropped out of a clear blue sky.

Decades of living on credit have helped get us where we are now. I know it is just easier to blame the Tories, but it is a bit more complex than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    razorboy wrote: »
    I remember at school there were a couple of kids who would these days be described as having severe learning difficulties and they were often bullied into sharing indiscrete personal information

I feel equally queasy when I read about people sharing openly the details mentioned in this and other threads. I do not think people would do so voluntarily and fear they may have been manipulated into trusting someone who then abuses that trust by posting on here and extrapolating a single instance to make it the norm.

Well there is that but I'm more inclined to think that these 'stories' that posters tell about knowing Labour supporters who use food banks because they spend their benefits on cigs and booze are mostly fabricated, I also wonder why the people who recount these stories never seem to talk to or know any Tory supporters who use food banks.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I trust that all those on here that are able to do so make a donation to their local food bank?