Options

Adults who have never learnt to drive

Comments

• Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ridden motorcyles for 32 years this year, never had the need for four wheels....unless the occasional Transit recovery of a broken bike!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I've ridden motorcyles for 32 years this year, never had the need for four wheels....unless the occasional Transit recovery of a broken bike!

Should've bought a Ducati. ;-) :p
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't drive and I'm 25 I have Dyspraxia and it would be very difficult for me to drive and I would probably endanger other peoples lives, I will stick to using the bus, train and taxi of mum and dad.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    My brother and sister aged 46 and 48 have never learnt to drive. It's not a financial thing. I've asked them both why and they both say they've just never got round to it. Love them both to bits but still can't fathom why they would not want the freedom of just being able to get into a car and drive where they want to go.

Is it just me or do you agree that in the 21st century being an adult and not driving is unusual? Anyone else out there who doesn't drive and if so why?

ah the mythical 'freedom' argument

free to spend your life sitting in traffic jams then when you get to where your going spend half the day searching for somewhere to park or paying ridiculous car park fees, the list goes on. There's nothing remotely like freedom about it.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I am 28 and only passed in Nov last year. Although I lived in the city for most of my life so work and the like was easier on a bus or my push bike. Now I am out in the sticks, just took the test and passed first time. Easy enough really.

But no, I dont think its odd some people dont drive. Its not everyone who likes it or will put up with it (I have already clocked up 3000 miles and a lot of that is motorway, and it can get dreadfully boring to pull a 400 mile trip)

My comment about it being unusual is not the scenario where you pass your test and then make a choice based on circumstance not to drive or where you are a younger person who has had things higher up the list of priorities, more where you are 30, 40, 50 and have never learnt to drive.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    had 5 lessons, then instructor told me I would never pass as I cant tell my left from right without writing in the air with each hand, which didnt work when trying to follow directions

luckily I live in London so dont really need to learn to drive
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my own car a few weeks before I had even reached my 17th birthday. I passed my test a few weeks after my 18th. I drove for 18 months and sold my car for £80 scrap before my 20th birthday. I've not driven since. That was in 1989! It's been pedal power of mountain bike travelling ever since, but I live in one of the best places in Britain for bikers. Would be nice to get a car one day, but the money saved not having one is rather nicer.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 26 and have only just recently passed my test. I only learned to drive because my boss told me it would be beneficial for my career (in a kind of you-won't-get-any-further-without-it way). I've never bothered with it before now because I've never needed it. Buses/trains/walking have got me everywhere I need to go. Even now, I'm not in a rush to get a car.

I think part of it is growing up, our family was never car-dependent. For several years my dad was away at university and my mum can't drive, so wherever I wanted to go it would have to be public transport. As a teenager, my friends had parents they'd call on to get a lift anywhere - it actually shocked some friends parents that I walked 3 miles home from their house, rather than call for a lift. When I was 17 and able to learn to drive, I couldn't afford it.

As an adult, it's just never bothered me. You don't miss what you've never had - I'd never been dependant on a car, never been dependant on getting lifts therefore I don't miss it.

Is it unusual? Not so much anymore, at least not in the younger generations. I know a lot of young people find the cost of motoring prohibitive, particularly insurance. I believe there are recent statistics showing that young people are taking up driving at a lower rate than in the past.

All in all, yes driving is useful, but it's not the be-all and end-all.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cringe when I see parents who can't drive

A because you're responsible for a small human being and you can't even drive

B what kind of life do kids have when their parents don't drive? Every little activity must be a whole day out if you're using public transport or everything you do with them is within 2 miles of your house. No surprise trips to the seaside or anywhere else

Anyone got kids and can't drive or grew up with parents that couldn't drive?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Me didn't bother me though for a few reasons

1) I had terrible car sickness anyway when my Aunt or somebody took me out I couldn't even get to end of the street before I was sick

2) I never wanted/liked to go out of the house anyway..

As for now Seaside doesn't matter I live there and live within 5 mins of the beach anyway
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

B what kind of life do kids have when their parents don't drive? Every little activity must be a whole day out if you're using public transport or everything you do with them is within 2 miles of your house. No surprise trips to the seaside or anywhere else

Yes to both... And I never missed out on anything, and my kids never missed out on anything.

The seaside (51 miles away) takes an hour on the train so surprise trips happen... Google tells me that it would take 1 hour 26 minutes to drive there so not only is the train the more pleasant option, it's also quicker.

Not sure why you think non-drivers are restricted to a 2 mile radius, my son's school is just over 2 miles away and it takes 20-30 minutes to get there twice a day.

We walk the 4.1 miles to my mum's house and it's a lovely walk.

Tomorrow we're going to a park 5 miles from our house and the journey will take about 45 minutes... Driving would take longer due to traffic and then having to find somewhere to park and then having to walk half a mile from where you finally manage to park.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Not sure why you think non-drivers are restricted to a 2 mile radius, my son's school is just over 2 miles away and it takes 20-30 minutes to get there twice a day.

You're restricted to within a couple of miles of wherever your last bit of public transport dropped you off though.

Some of the nicest places I've visited are places I've stumbled across by complete accident while travelling elsewhere.
    You never get the opportunity to explore such places when you simply board public transport at "A" and get off at "B".

Also, spending 2 hours a day walking on what would be a 5 minute drive doesn't exactly sell the car-free lifestyle. :p
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother and sister aged 46 and 48 have never learnt to drive. It's not a financial thing. I've asked them both why and they both say they've just never got round to it. Love them both to bits but still can't fathom why they would not want the freedom of just being able to get into a car and drive where they want to go.

Is it just me or do you agree that in the 21st century being an adult and not driving is unusual? Anyone else out there who doesn't drive and if so why?

How is it unusual, I hated driving and the cost of keeping a car was basically money down the drain for a stupid metal box that sits idle most of the time, now I have got rid I have more money and no hassles.

If everyone drove and had cars it would be total gridlock. I don't have a pilots license either is that unusual?
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL - that made me laugh as I suspect I fall into that category.

This has actually made me think though that maybe my brother and sister have never learnt to drive because they have acknowledged the genetic curse passed down the maternal side of the family that maybe we are not supposed to be behind the wheel of the car. Driving does not come naturally to me - zero innate road sense and spacial awareness - took me a long time to learn although scarily I passed first time. My grandparents never drove and my mum only learnt in her 40s and as bad as I am at driving she is infinitely worse. Daughter took around 80 lessons to pass last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You're restricted to within a couple of miles of wherever your last bit of public transport dropped you off though.

Some of the nicest places I've visited are places I've stumbled across by complete accident while travelling elsewhere.
    You never get the opportunity to explore such places when you simply board public transport at "A" and get off at "B".

Also, spending 2 hours a day walking on what would be a 5 minute drive doesn't exactly sell the car-free lifestyle. :p

It's not a 5 minute drive though... One of his school friend's who live a bit closer to the school than us have stopped driving to the school as the traffic meant that it was taking them over half hour to get there. Plus walking instead of driving is good exercise for the kids :)

I don't just get on at A and get off at B... I've been known to get off the bus or train at the next stop in places I don't know and wasn't planning to go to because I've spotted a nice park/restaurant/shop out of the window.

All in all I just find using public transport to be a nice experience than using a car... Nothing like kicking back on the train with a book in one hand and a plastic cup of wine in the other. Can't do that when you're driving :-P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes to both... And I never missed out on anything, and my kids never missed out on anything.

The seaside (51 miles away) takes an hour on the train so surprise trips happen... Google tells me that it would take 1 hour 26 minutes to drive there so not only is the train the more pleasant option, it's also quicker.

We walk the 4.1 miles to my mum's house and it's a lovely walk.

Tomorrow we're going to a park 5 miles from our house and the journey will take about 45 minutes... Driving would take longer due to traffic and then having to find somewhere to park and then having to walk half a mile from where you finally manage to park.

As long as you're happy with it....just doesn't sit right with me for some reason and I couldn't imagine having kids and no car

In the most extreme case I would be worried that I would have a medical emergency and would have to sit and wait for an ambulance when I could already be halfway to a hospital with them
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    In the most extreme case I would be worried that I would have a medical emergency and would have to sit and wait for an ambulance when I could already be halfway to a hospital with them

On the other hand wait for a ambulance and if something goes wrong on the way you have a trained paramedic with you even if I did have a car I'd always wait for the ambulance as I wouldn't have a clue what to do not to mention I'd be panicking to much to drive safely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In a true emergency situation I'd say waiting for an ambulance would be the best bet anyway even if I was a driver...

I'd have to drive while panicking about my child, said child would be in the car with no-one to attend to them because the only adult around is busy driving, and my other child would be in the car probably freaking out over their sibling.

Waiting for an ambulance would mean that I could attend to my child until the ambulance arrived, I could make arrangements for someone to come get my other child and then the sick child would be transported in a safe environment.

Plus the ambulance gets to skip all the traffic between home and the hospital.

I know what option sounds better to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a true emergency situation I'd say waiting for an ambulance would be the best bet anyway even if I was a driver...

I'd have to drive while panicking about my child, said child would be in the car with no-one to attend to them because the only adult around is busy driving, and my other child would be in the car probably freaking out over their sibling.

Waiting for an ambulance would mean that I could attend to my child until the ambulance arrived, I could make arrangements for someone to come get my other child and then the sick child would be transported in a safe environment.

Plus the ambulance gets to skip all the traffic between home and the hospital.

I know what option sounds better to me.

Fair enough, I haven't got kids so I can argue with your opinion

There's other scenarios I can think of, like if your teenage kid rings you and says a strange man is following them or they're hiding in a bush because a gang wants to beat them up etc. and you could be there in 5 mins driving or it's a 30 min walk. Or it's 3 am and they're in extreme pain for some reason and you've run out of painkillers. Or they've been arrested and need your help. all extreme scenarios but these things happen

Obviously most people with parents who can't drive lived to tell the tale but still
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not a 5 minute drive though... One of his school friend's who live a bit closer to the school than us have stopped driving to the school as the traffic meant that it was taking them over half hour to get there. Plus walking instead of driving is good exercise for the kids :)

It is when you stuff them into the car at 7:30 rather than waiting until the bloody rush-hour. :p
    All in all I just find using public transport to be a nice experience than using a car... Nothing like kicking back on the train with a book in one hand and a plastic cup of wine in the other. Can't do that when you're driving :-P

Must admit, I like nothing better than a good train journey. Near the top of my "things to do if I win the lottery" list is to take one of those "Orient Express" type holidays where you get to go on a train journey right across Europe.

Course, I've also had to carry 100kg of equipment right across London on the bloody tube after a flight was cancelled and, that being the case, there are also times when you just can't beat personal transport either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed my test in 1969 and have driven ever since. I've lived in the sticks so little public transport. My wife, aged 62, has never driven. She tried but doesn't have the confidence to drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, I haven't got kids so I can argue with your opinion

There's other scenarios I can think of, like if your teenage kid rings you and says a strange man is following them or they're hiding in a bush because a gang wants to beat them up etc. and you could be there in 5 mins driving or it's a 30 min walk. Or it's 3 am and they're in extreme pain for some reason and you've run out of painkillers. Or they've been arrested and need your help. all extreme scenarios but these things happen

Obviously most people with parents who can't drive lived to tell the tale but still

The 5 minute drive thing is disingenuous, most of the places I could walk to in 30 minutes from my house would be a 20-30 minute drive due to traffic lights, one-way systems and general traffic.

Regarding your specific scenarios...

By the time my kids are teenagers I'll be at work 13 hours a day and won't have my phone on me for most of that time so whether I can drive or not will be largely inconsequential.

We're a painkiller free household due to allergies, but with other medical supplies we never run out - I acquire new supplies as soon as things are running low, never wait for them to run out. That's just a case of being responsible, again being able to drive is inconsequential.

And if either of my kid's got arrested then I wouldn't be rushing to help them. So once again, being able to drive is inconsequential :p

Lot's of it does depend on where you live though... If I lived somewhere where the public transport system wasn't as good, or somewhere where driving wasn't such a nightmare then I'd probably feel differently.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I CAN'T drive.
    I wish I COULD drive.
    It would change my life if I was ABLE to drive.

I was soooo shit at it though I thought it was best people like me stayed off the roads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It is when you stuff them into the car at 7:30 rather than waiting until the bloody rush-hour. :p

But then the getting up at 7am (we don't get out of bed until 7.20) followed by a 75 minute wait in the car for the school gates to open with bored kids doesn't exactly sell the driving lifestyle ;-)
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member

Why do they need to drive when they've got a judgmental little sibling like you to chauffer them around.