Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The episodes on "EastEnders" are much more sharply written directed and performed. Tonights episode was nicely put together. And Timothy West is really excellent as Stan Carter.

Hard work has gone into the show and it deserves a lucky ratings break as reward to the production team. Dominic is a clever producer and has a complete idea what the show required
    Agreed.
    There is going to be clues along the way but a massive twist that makes the viewers go :o:o:o According to the Man himself. DTC and the team will be feeding the press with the wrong spoilers.

Tonights Murder was secret until the Sun spoilt in and then the BBC just confirmed it. however the actual ending was different to the spoilers given.

Two repeats tonight. BBC 3 10:30 and Omnibus 11:35

It's nice to see Dom has got an ex writer back for Monday and Tuesdays episodes too :)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Lets be realistic about this: Eastenders could have all the promotion in the world but in its current state, it's not going to hit 8million. It doesnt attract casual viewers anymore. The hardcore fans rave about it as if it's improved majestically since the last year but when it comes to the crunch: ratings-wise EE is down from the same period last year. People on Twitter like DTC, Alex Lamb, Daran Little, Kris Green and other EE staff patting each other on the back saying how amazing these next few episodes will be, most people couldnt care less. There is no doubt in my mind that EE will fail to hit 8million in the next week. Also I firmly believe the 30th Anniversary episode will struggle to hit 10m in the overnights [assuming it is a non-live ep], way down from the 16m of 2010. We have to be realistic in this day and age, with the way EE has repelled casual viewers in the last few years, EE is not in a good place ratings-wise and not even a well executed marketing campaign will change that.

I think this assessment could be more accurate than people think. The quality has improved but ratings haven't. I like EastEnders but the ratings don't lie. Many of the lost viewers on BBC1 haven't gone to the iPlayer, they've just gone. The programme is better than last year but ratings are worse than last year.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The episodes on "EastEnders" are much more sharply written directed and performed. Tonights episode was nicely put together. And Timothy West is really excellent as Stan Carter.

Hard work has gone into the show and it deserves a lucky ratings break as reward to the production team. Dominic is a clever producer and has a complete idea what the show required

I haven't seen tonights yet, but its a country mile ahead of last year. The Carters have brought life to the show and there is an energy about it which was clearly lacking before when it was a bit like a mid table football match with nothing to play for.

As far as audiences are concerned, I think all soaps have suffered the same fate over the last 15 years or so - namely that people are, bit by bit, less willing to make the commitment needed to watch 4 to 6 episodes per week. Its hard to get people to do that when there is so much else that they can do these days-however brilliant the product might be.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Hope the Great North Passion thing rates better than the crowd who turned up.

Emptied out rather quickly once it was clear it was religious

Continuation of: The Ratings Thread (Part 58)

The event was ticket only,and all tickets were allocated months ago.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its good that is EE is producing some good drama at last, but this thread at the moment is going overboard with EE promotion. We don't need to know when the omnibus in, or BBC Three rpt, or how DTC is going to make the audience go:o:o:o:o as he drip feeds the press stories to try and up the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogglebox had its best episode tonight, hilarious. :):D Highly recommend watching it.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Gogglebox had its best episode tonight, hilarious. :):D Highly recommend watching it.
    Let me guess: they had a pretty big section focussing on the participants watching Dogging Tales? They probably had the Victor Meldrew lookalike and his wife watching it in shock, even though theyd never watch a show like that in the real world? Tv critic Ian Hyland predicted before the show even began that C4 probably cynically aired a repeat of Dogging Tales this week just in order for it to be shown on Gogglebox for "laughs".
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've give up on it last weeks episode was a complete joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why was last weeks episode a joke? Looks like youre not the only one giving up on it, its rating took a big dip last week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yup just finished it...it was hilarious :D
    Its become must watch tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was last weeks episode a joke? Looks like youre not the only one giving up on it, its rating took a big dip last week.
    not really....it went down against Sports Relief, shot back up again the week after and dipped again last week...

Gonna say 2.5 Mill for it tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I think this assessment could be more accurate than people think. The quality has improved but ratings haven't. I like EastEnders but the ratings don't lie. Many of the lost viewers on BBC1 haven't gone to the iPlayer, they've just gone. The programme is better than last year but ratings are worse than last year.
    Its top UK Trend at present. Fell to Third a short while ago but back up due to BBC3. I player didn't add the episode until go 9:30pm.

Ratings tonight.

8:00pm-6:4 (33.3%) peak 7.3m
    BBC3-560k
    Omnibus-400k

Monday I think will see the show get it's highest since Stan Carter joined when it reached 8m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    not really....it went down against Sports Relief, shot back up again the week after and dipped again last week...
    Gogglebox dipped 25% last week. It's now rating lower than how the 10pm episodes were rating towards the end of its previous series. People seem to be cottoning onto the production tricks and manipulated scenes which the show has, it takes away the enjoyment once you work out how it actually is filmed. It's like a structured reality show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogglebox dipped 25% last week. It's now rating lower than how the 10pm episodes were rating towards the end of its previous series. People seem to be cottoning onto the production tricks and manipulated scenes which the show has, it takes away the enjoyment once you work out how it actually is filmed. It's like a structured reality show.
    not really...i still find it absolutely hilarious.
    Just checked, and it got 2.1 Mill last week... then I think it got like 2.7 the week before and 1.8 the week before that? seems to be doing perfectly fine and I bet Channel 4 are thrilled with its performance
  • Options
    glorafinglorafin Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Is there a reason why BBC One's schedule was all wonky today? I missed the beginning of Graham Norton and the end of Pointless...

Looking at the schedule for the whole day I can't see why they changed their usual timetable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you missed out. But I can't help thinking if this were on BBC1 you would have given it another go. Watch it on catchup on on one of Ch 4 repeat channels.

Seriously tonight was laugh out loud all the way through. Don't be influenced by Samuel's hate for anything that is not on BBC, he's just grumpy. Who cares if parts are set up, if it makes you laugh.......:)
  • Options
    rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    glorafin wrote: »
    Is there a reason why BBC One's schedule was all wonky today? I missed the beginning of Graham Norton and the end of Pointless...

Looking at the schedule for the whole day I can't see why they changes their usual timetable.
    Because it's a bank holiday so news bulletins are shorter for starters.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looking at the schedule for the whole day I can't see why they changes their usual timetable.
    Have you not noticed it's a Bank Holiday - so shortened news bulletins is the main reason, though in an ideal world most of the regular schedule would be ditched all together and we'd get something a little bit more special. There is absolutely nothing of note on TV this weekend that isn't a continuing series.
  • Options
    glorafinglorafin Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Have you not noticed it's a Bank Holiday - so shortened news bulletins is the main reason, though in an ideal world most of the regular schedule would be ditched all together and we'd get something a little bit more special. There is absolutely nothing of note on TV this weekend that isn't a continuing series.

Bank holidays mean shorter news bulletins? It may sound obvious to you, but not to me. Is it because less things happen on those days so there is less to talk about, or because most journalists don't want to work on those days?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Bank holidays mean shorter news bulletins? It may sound obvious to you, but not to me. Is it because less things happen on those days so there is less to talk about, or because most journalists don't want to work on those days?

Actually thinking about it you do have a point. Its not like the 24hr news channels reduce their hours on holidays so why do the main channels? Or am I missing something obvious?
  • Options
    James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Actually thinking about it you do have a point. Its not like the 24hr news channels reduce their hours on holidays so why do the main channels? Or am I missing something obvious?

Maybe its because people generally follow less of a routine on a BH and expect more films, family entertainment on so the news programmes are made shorter. Having said that the rest of the schedule tonight doesn't look much different, and it wont do Monday either. Wall to wall soaps!
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »

Well they do actually. They often air pre-recorded fillers in the second half hour and have a single presenter doing fairly straight bulletins in the top half hour rather than 2 presenters doing rolling news throughout.

The EastEnders trailer has been shown in every junction since 8:30 tonight and the announcer has also been mentioning it often as well heavily promoting the omnibus like it was airing in prime time and not at nearly Midnight. If this carries on all weekend, the rating on Monday should be like an EastEnders Christmas Day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Well they do actually. They often air pre-recorded fillers in the second half hour and have a single presenter doing fairly straight bulletins in the top half hour rather than 2 presenters doing rolling news throughout.

The EastEnders trailer has been shown in every junction since 8:30 tonight and the announcer has also been mentioning it often as well heavily promoting the omnibus like it was airing in prime time and not at nearly Midnight. If this carries on all weekend, the rating on Monday should be like an EastEnders Christmas Day.
    It's about time the BBC done this. Sure we had trailers but not on this scale and no one made for the event. The trailer they are showing is eye catching.

Yes they have shown it before and after ever programme since 8:30.

There is supposed to be posters put up over the weekend in London on Busses and Tubes ect too.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well for starters the shows where crap, there wasn't many shown they spent to long on the bloody grand national. Plus it all just seems really false.
  • Options
    scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Winkleman is 3/1 on. Speaks volumes really. Unless the bookies are making her look a certainty so that punters lump on at ridiculous odds and get stung.

She opened odds against - 3/1 in this link for example..........

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/468713/Sir-Bruce-Forsyth-Bookies-tip-Claudia-Winkleman-and-Graham-Norton-as-next-Strictly-host

The betting patterns implied by that Mirror article http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-come-dancing-nick-knowles-3423750 just don't ring true to me.

This flood of bets, this unprecedented number of bets caused Ladbrokes to close their book - yet the odds at two of Ladbrokes' bookmaking rivals were unimpacted!!

Punters with inside information only targetting one bookmaker while attractive odds are available at other companies?????? I find that very suspicious!
This discussion has been closed.