Options

time to axe pensioners bus passes?

Comments

• Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Don't like the idea of that, but I wouldn't mind paying an annual charge of say £20.

That's what I've said, but it doesn't seem to be good enough.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member

Pensioners already do pay £12.00 per year for the Metro in Tyne and Wear, but they get free travel on the Buses which is absolutely deserved.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Pensioners already do pay £12.00 per year for the Metro in Tyne and Wear, but they get free travel on the Buses which is absolutely deserved.
    Ian.

Where I live pensioners can travel on most buses, trains and Mersey Ferries within Merseyside. Up to now I've only used mine on the buses.
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    the 50p per pensioner charge I don't believe would put that many off and (in my personal way it
    should be done ) would be in add to payments from the council

Do you remember when everyone paid a fare. it used to take ages especially as a lot of people did not have the exact change, that is besides the additional cost of security for the cash on board the bus. I have suggested many times an admin charge of £20 per annum for a bus pass as a far more effective approach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    razorboy wrote: »
    Do you remember when everyone paid a fare. it used to take ages especially as a lot of people did not have the exact change, that is besides the additional cost of security for the cash on board the bus. I have suggested many times an admin charge of £20 per annum for a bus pass as a far more effective approach.

I remember when they had bus conductors and you got on the bus at the back.and you didn't have a clue who was driving the bus. :D
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I remember when they had bus conductors and you got on the bus at the back.and you didn't have a clue who was driving the bus. :D

Yes i remember them and ours were old trolly buses with big poles getting the electric from over head cables. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=derby+trolleybuses&client=firefox-a&hs=PhD&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=KI5SU92dH-bb7AbAwYHICQ&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=639
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »

They still have those buses in Blackpool, or they did the last time I was there.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously you know everything about my personal circumstances so you you know what opportunities are realistic for me or my family

May I ask what the job your nephew moved for was?[/QUOTE]

He is a plumber and got offered the chance of being a partner in a firm rather then working for someone else - he is 28
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Obviously you know everything about my personal circumstances so you you know what opportunities are realistic for me or my family

May I ask what the job your nephew moved for was?[/QUOTE]

He is a plumber and got offered the chance of being a partner in a firm rather then working for someone else - he is 28
    that's a skilled job (and well paid I believe) uprouting a family for a job in poundland (which would be the likeliest prospect for me or my partner) isn't exactly as possible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just offered an alternative (and yes more expensive for you) suggestion but it'd still be a bargain compared to what younger people pay
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just offered an alternative (and yes more expensive for you) suggestion but it'd still be a bargain compared to what younger people pay

But younger people are still earning and have more alternatives than old people.
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member

Time is money, why do you want to slow the buses down? I would much rather have a system where no money changed hands on the bus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    razorboy wrote: »
    Time is money, why do you want to slow the buses down? I would much rather have a system where no money changed hands on the bus

There won't be any cash used on buses soon enough anyway, even in the rural backend of beyond where I live the buses (run by a small village based company)are all equipped with oyster style rfid card readers it's just at present theyre only used for scanning the pensioners on, won't be long before us paying customers will be paying on a card I'm sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    But younger people are still earning and have more alternatives than old people.

Not necessarily true at all
  • Options
    Forum Member

But not a bargin for the bus companies, if the number of people using the buses goes down, means they will cut routes and services for everyone so end up that everyone losses, and if not cut the services then increases the prices to protect thier income
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily true at all

They certainly have more alternatives to public transport and less need to use it unless working. Far less likely to have regular doctor's appointments to go to for example.
  • Options
    Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is more justification for giving young folk travel concessions than what there are for old people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They certainly have more alternatives to public transport and less need to use it unless working. Far less likely to have regular doctor's appointments to go to for example.

And what of younger people working pet time on minimum wage where the bus fair could be the best part of an hours wages each day, can make them far far far worse off working than on the dole
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    How do you know you will always be fit to drive your Merc?

There are many reasons why people stop driving later on in life, many of which are not classified as being officially disabled, and so will not qualify for any additional support. Which might be nothing more than losing confidence in their own ability to drive safely.

If someone wants to drive instead of using a bus, then they don’t apply for a bus-pass, which is simple enough.

Be careful what you don't wish for - because the ageing process can be cruel and doesn't work to rules of fairness.

Well actually the aging process is never far from my thoughts in fact it is what prompts my to indulge in a little extravagance that I can afford before it is too late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But not a bargin for the bus companies, if the number of people using the buses goes down, means they will cut routes and services for everyone so end up that everyone losses, and if not cut the services then increases the prices to protect thier income

Depends how the alternative is structured
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Depends how the alternative is structured
    Bus companies are only botherd about making a profit, nothing else
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bus companies are only botherd about making a profit, nothing else

So as long as the actual level of subsidies is maintained there won't be a problem, just put it in through the general subsidy not the bus pass payments
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what of younger people working pet time on minimum wage where the bus fair could be the best part of an hours wages each day, can make them far far far worse off working than on the dole

That is an excellent response, it gives justification for extending travel concessions beyond the relatively wealthy pensioners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So as long as the actual level of subsidies is maintained there won't be a problem, just put it in through the general subsidy not the bus pass payments
    That is a good idea, saying most other counties subsidies public trasnsport in a big way, were we did this at one time when public transport was state run, but we gave that idea up and turned public tranport in profit making for the private sector, the railways are the perfect example of this, no private company would touch rail services if the subsidies were taken away
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I am, several times when the bus prices increase one of the reasons given is the reduction in the substudy paid for pensioner and disabled bus passes.

The point is they cant remove the bribe as they are scared of pensioners and don't care for the young.

Shop around..

In Glasgow, if you buy a First 10 Week for £88, it is just over a £1 day for 10 weeks

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow/tickets/firstweek/