Options

How many shops are open on Easter Sunday?

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
Forum Member
I just walked to our local Sainsburys to get stuff to deal with my hangover (don't ask!!) and it's the busiest i've ever seen it.

Are many shops near you open?

Comments

• Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a one!
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea but I doubt many are as I live in a rather conservative town with a lot of churches. Hopefully almost everyone is getting a nice day off, regardless of whether they celebrate. :)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, yes there are
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Argoses are open today apparently:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=767116
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Some Argoses are open today apparently:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=767116

That is a thread from 2008.

I hope there is a shop open as I need to grab desert and a bottle of wine to take to dinner we've just been invited to.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all of it.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope there is a shop open as I need to grab desert and a bottle of wine to take to dinner we've just been invited to.

Here in NI you can't buy alcohol on Easter Sunday unless in a pub, and even they only open til 10pm :(
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Not all of it.

Well it's good to see Easter hasn't become any more sacred than it was in 2008 :D
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know of just one - the corner shop.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had to drive to a city and a town earlier today.
    The only shops I saw open were the small Tescos, Sainsburys, Co-Op type of shops.
    I heard talk on the TV this morning that someone or the other is campaigning for gardening centres being allowed to be open on Easter Sunday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Tescos nearest me are shut, but the Co-op down the road is open as normal. I haven't ventured into town but I highly doubt much will be open there.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just got back from the Tesco express near me... On the way I passed 2 newsagents, 1 off-licence, 1 barbershop, 1 pub, 1 ladbrokes and a co-op all open.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I bet the local express/corner shops are open. I don't need anything and it's raining so I'm in hibernation today.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad thread this can't posters find something else to do 2 days a year without worrying about going to shop.:cool:
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am NOT going out for you just to check if the shops are open...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard talk on the TV this morning that someone or the other is campaigning for gardening centres being allowed to be open on Easter Sunday.

I think it's seriously sad some people can't cope with the world moving a bit slower for a couple of days out of the year. You have to wonder how people used to manage before we relaxed things to the extent they are now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I don't need anything and it's raining so I'm in hibernation today.

Snap.

I'm huddled under my duvet, relaxing after a huge meal and half an Easter egg and listening to my favourite music. I don't understand people who freak out when things slow down a bit for 24 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    Sad thread this can't posters find something else to do 2 days a year without worrying about going to shop.:cool:

I can only speak for myself but my trip to Tesco was nothing to do with shopping, I went to give Easter eggs to the staff there (barring 1 of the managers) who are always lovely to me & my kids.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself but my trip to Tesco was nothing to do with shopping, I went to give Easter eggs to the staff there (barring 1 of the managers) who are always lovely to me & my kids.

You went to a supermarket, a place full of Easter confectionary, to give all the staff an egg?? How weird:confused:
    And then you exclude one specific member of staff, not very Christian on today of all days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You went to a supermarket, a place full of Easter confectionary, to give all the staff an egg?? How weird:confused:
    And then you exclude one specific member of staff, not very Christian on today of all days?

So just because someone works in a supermarket you shouldn't give them an Easter egg?! Ok then. I'll tell that to my friends who work in various supermarkets and who all asked for Easter eggs from friends & family.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »

I don't see anyone in this thread worrying about going to the shops :confused: OP simply asked 'Are many shops near you open?' and people responded with what they know. Personally me, I've not set foot out of the house today, and I've no intention of doing so either :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All our local off licences are open, as is our Costcutter. Costa are open, my daughter had to go to work. She's not a happy bunny lol. She's got tomorrow and Tuesday off instead, but they are her regular days off. She doesn't even get time and a half, which used to be taken as read when I worked in retail back in the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i dunno..i plan not to go out :p
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Here in NI you can't buy alcohol on Easter Sunday unless in a pub, and even they only open til 10pm :(

Really? There's an off licence open near me.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Was this a Sainsbury's Local store or a regular Sainsbury's store? :confused: