Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 24,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    It's always boring; may as well put it on repeat every year. Proof if it were needed the public at large love a good, clean point and laugh at the 'freaks' show. Throw in the most cliched, manipulative guff on the box and Cowell must find the ratings he gets seriously entertaining. Good luck to him

I much prefer it to TXF and 10.3 million suggests it's still well liked, unlike TXF which has lost 4 million viewers over three series. BGT seems to be a very consistent hit.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I would imagine the ad break has something to do with it - we saw what an effect the FA Cup going straight through had on BGT last week. That and the fact that Amazing Greys isn't very good and isn't likely to hold an audience that have been watching BGT.

Other factors would be people catching up on +1 if they missed the start and people switching to More Talent/Xtra on itv2.
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Yeah, Who Dares Wins was getting 6m on some occasions due to the Voice lead-in and Casualty was getting some of its biggest audiences in ages. The Voice had a great halo effect on the rest of the schedule. BGT doesnt seem to have the same impact.

Some weeks I think BGT going straight into the next programme would work. But I think ITV don't think they always put the right programme after it. Plus as you say Britain's Got More Talent is a blessing for ITV2 and a curse for ITV programmes facing it.
    By the way, looks like Pointless Celebs has been airing pretty much every Saturday so far this year. This is what I said should happen at the start of the year so looks like the people at the BBC have similar ideas of how important this show is to them. Hopefully it'll continue to air all year round on Saturday nights, it guarantees at 16%+ audience. Much better than recent new shows like Reflex etc. Saves BBC time and effort trying out these new shows.
    No Samuel. Bad idea!

Pointless Celebrities being on every Saturday would turn it into TV wallpaper and viewers would drift away.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    No Samuel. Bad idea!

Pointless Celebrities being on every Saturday would turn it into TV wallpaper and viewers would drift away.
    Pointless is on every single weekday of the year and hasnt turned people away. So I see no reason why Saturday episodes every year would turn people away. Just watch the 5pm slot ratings in May, Pointless will completely dominate due to the Chase taking time off. Taking time off can actually damage a show more than airing it all year round.

Also has it been revealed for how long these Law and Order uk repeats are going to be airing on Saturday nights? Hopefully for a few months, or if not, The Americans gets aired at 9.20pm. It is helping boost BBC1's ratings post-9pm!
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless is on every single weekday of the year and hasnt turned people away. So I see no reason why Saturday episodes every year would turn people away. Just watch the 5pm slot ratings in May, Pointless will completely dominate due to the Chase taking time off. Taking time off can actually damage a show more than airing it all year round.

Also has it been revealed for how long these Law and Order uk repeats are going to be airing on Saturday nights? Hopefully for a few months, or if not, The Americans gets aired at 9.20pm. It is helping boost BBC1's ratings post-9pm!

I just keep thinking about how ITV burned out Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. You can put a programme on too often.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,714
    Forum Member
    I just keep thinking about how ITV burned out Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. You can put a programme on too often.
    Sam doesn't care as long as BBC One's ratings are maximised in the short term. The way forward apparently is to do loads more of what's popular and do less of anything that isn't. Basically run it like a commercial channel and chase ratings relentlessly in every slot.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone who purports to be a BBC supporter makes such statements. If Sam had his way the case for maintaining the BBC's current funding model would be drastically weakened and it'd be all downhill from there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is that it had a big gimmick to it - the £1m price tag. Once someone won that million pounds, the show was always going to start losing its audience because the novelty value wore off. Pointless on the other hand doesnt have this kind of gimmick to it. It's just a fairly low-key gameshow which has a strong format. Viewers will keep tuning in to it episode after episode as it is an enjoyable pleasant show. No one wins large amounts of money in it, there's no massive prize or gimmick to it. So in the long term, Pointless has a better chance of holding onto its viewers.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Sam doesn't care as long as BBC One's ratings are maximised in the short term. The way forward apparently is to do loads more of what's popular and do less of anything that isn't. Basically run it like a commercial channel and chase ratings relentlessly in every slot.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone who purports to be a BBC supporter makes such statements. If Sam had his way the case for maintaining the BBC's current funding model would be drastically weakened and it'd be all downhill from there.
    BBC One is the mainstream channel. Getting as good ratings as possible should be the #1 priority. Quality is important too, of course. The BBC airs plenty of niche, upscale programs on other channels like BBC2 and BBC4. What BBC1 is there to do is attract mass audiences and inform, educate and entertain as many viewers as possible. This strategy to win ratings [for e.g. removing the kids block] is why BBC One is so popular at the moment and the gap between BBC1 and Itv is currently the biggest it has ever been. If BBC One wasnt getting strong audiences, the critics of the licence fee would be using it as a reason to get rid of the licence fee, saying that not many people watching BBC1 anyway. The BBC is in a stronger position to keep its licence fee if BBC1 is as popular as it can possibly be, not the other way round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I much prefer it to TXF and 10.3 million suggests it's still well liked, unlike TXF which has lost 4 million viewers over three series. BGT seems to be a very consistent hit.
    On a day in which the headlines point towards a 2 million week-on-week drop, a slightly questionable assessment there.

Fine, it's holding up well from one series to the next unlike TXF. But BGT has a lot in its favour. Not least the fact that nobody ever puts anything of substance on against it, or indeed on the same night even. It might be ageing but it still stands out in a schedule taken up by as much filler, repeats and other dross as we had to suffer last night.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,046
    Forum Member

Ahhhh but you're forgetting BBC viewers are more likely to continue to tune in, despite how they feel about it, because they have more loyalty than ITV. They watch TV because It's on BBC, not the programme itself
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any predictions for Fargo tonight - most sites seem to list it as the highlight of the Easter schedules and despite some of us here thinking we know better C4 have shown they can compete at 9pm on Sundays with drama, with Endeavour and Crimson Field not exactly the toughest dramas to compete against. Surely they're aiming for over 2m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Any predictions for Fargo tonight - most sites seem to list it as the highlight of the Easter schedules and despite some of us here thinking we know better C4 have shown they can compete at 9pm on Sundays with drama, with Endeavour and Crimson Field not exactly the toughest dramas to compete against. Surely they're aiming for over 2m.
    Yes I found it curious so many have been critical of the scheduling. Surely Sunday nights is a no brainer now for C4 drama given all of their biggest successes and most consistent performers recently have occurred there like Homeland and The Mill.

2M seems very achievable, really. There will be plenty of viewers to go around tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the same will happen with Pointless and The Chase, viewer fatigue will set in. It does show a distinct lack of imagination to have these on so much, in the same way Channel 4 still churns out six shows of DOND every week to a dwindling audience.
    I used to like The Chase, but the overkill and the increasingly unfunny comments from the Chasers has made it a chore.
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sonny2001 wrote: »
    Fri: Philosophers Stone 1.09m (1.41 incl +1)
    Sat: Chamber of Secrets 1.19m (1.57m incl +1)

Is that 1.09m better or worse than what Dickinson's Real Deal. Tipping Point et al. usually get in that slot?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I've never understood: how on earth are ratings remotely reliable? They're just extrapolations based on a couple of hundred (if that) 'model families' aren't they?
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I found it curious so many have been critical of the scheduling. Surely Sunday nights is a no brainer now for C4 drama given all of their biggest successes and most consistent performers recently have occurred there like Homeland and The Mill.

2M seems very achievable, really. There will be plenty of viewers to go around tonight.

I think it'll do decently, its a limited series so even if ratings dip throughout the run, it's not a huge issue,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I think it'll do decently, its a limited series so even if ratings dip throughout the run, it's not a huge issue,
    Audience profile bound to be upmarket so no real pressure on the Total People figs anyway, although nice for them to get another 2M banker if possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think sadly that's how BBC One is becoming. They seem dominated by the same game shows, antiques, property and lifestyle programming. Yes their news is good, they have some good dramas and factual, but the rest of their output is cheap tat with a BBC sneer.
    Tomorrow I shall be watching a drama about Tommy Cooper on ITV. This is really the sort of drama the BBC should be doing.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we know from the stats posted recently that ITV3 is down year on year when it comes to viewing shares. There's been a theory that the new Drama channel on Freeview has been eating away at ITV3's market share. I think the main reason that ITV3 is down is not only because of the Drama channel, but also because a lot of the shows that they've been showing have now been repeated numerous times. Here are my suggestions to improve the channel:

- Move the Coronation Street and Emmerdale next day repeat from ITV2 to ITV3 and air it nightly similar to the BBC3 repeat for EastEnders. Give it a fixed 10.30 - midnight slot each day. Axe the omnibus editions completely. Maybe even show Emmerdale as a first look in the 10.30pm slot each night, matching what Channel 4/E4 does with Hollyoaks.

- Start showing classic episodes of Coronation Street and Emmerdale from ten years ago daily in 10-11am slot. In addition, show classic episodes of the Bill (The 30 minute episodes) in the afternoons around 3pm.

- Repeat Midsomer Murders from the beginning in the early evening slot but split each 2 hour episode into 1 hour blocks so the episodes run for longer. Heartbeat needs a rest from the schedule as it's been in that early evening slot for ages now and has probably been repeated on loop numerous times.

- Keep the crime shows such as Lewis, Vera, Endeavour but start digging deeper and look for other past ITV drama hits to show from a different genre. For example, start repeating London's Burning, Peak Practice and Bad Girls in peak time slots.

- Invest in a few more subtitled dramas, similar to what BBC 4 has been doing. This will compliment the repeats very well on the channel.

What do you guys reckon?
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the EastEnders trailers are now being shown across the ITV network. I'm not exactly sure if this is true but the member who posted it seems legit.

Has this ever happened before?

If EastEnders sees no increase this week, not even the tiniest of rises, then I don't know where the show can go promo wise. It seems they have pulled out all the stops this time. Be interesting to see what effect, if any, it actually has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apparently the EastEnders trailers are now being shown across the ITV network. I'm not exactly sure if this is true but the member who posted it seems legit.

Has this ever happened before?

If EastEnders sees no increase this week, not even the tiniest of rises, then I don't know where the show can go promo wise. It seems they have pulled out all the stops this time. Be interesting to see what effect, if any, it actually has.
    Wonderful news that Itv are showing the Eastenders trailers. Only problem is that the audience for Itv is so low at this time right now, I dont think it will help much.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Something I've never understood: how on earth are ratings remotely reliable? They're just extrapolations based on a couple of hundred (if that) 'model families' aren't they?

Actually in the days before all this modern technology the papers would simply ring the Central Generating Board, ask how electricity consumption had increased at a certain time and they could work out how many sets were on (although of course not which channel) and they always gave a figure for how many kettles were put on at the end of the time slot. The BBC used to do research by stopping people in the street and asking them what programmes they'd watched the previous night.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the Eastenders trailer was seen on ITV3, don't know if ITV would allow it on their main channel though. It is very significant how much promo is going out right now, would be shocking not to see at least some sort of boost on Monday, even with the Premier League on. Hats off to the BBC for finally putting in some proper effort, although sadly they've stuck the BBC3 repeat on at midnight on Monday - ridiculous.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Any consolidated figures for last week's Britain's Got Talent?
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So on this Easter Sunday, Samuel has spent all day gloating over ITV's lower ratings just to make himself feel happy. How sad.

I like ratings, but to spend all day gloating is...well frankly....just stupid.

ITV have and always will give their big shows an uphill struggle, with a poor lead in and poor lead out. Its no wonder they drop.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    It seems the Eastenders trailer was seen on ITV3, don't know if ITV would allow it on their main channel though. It is very significant how much promo is going out right now, would be shocking not to see at least some sort of boost on Monday, even with the Premier League on. Hats off to the BBC for finally putting in some proper effort, although sadly they've stuck the BBC3 repeat on at midnight on Monday - ridiculous.

Surly American Dad repeat will do better for BBC3 at that time.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »

So 8m I would say is the ultimate target. Anything below would be very underwhelming, given that they're promoting it everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.